Apple's latest diversity figures show static global gender balance, more US progress

Posted:
in General Discussion edited November 2017
Apple on Thursday released its 2017 diversity report, showing steps forward in some areas, but work to do in others.

Internationally the split between male and female workers has remained unchanged since 2016, sitting at 68 percent versus 32, Apple said. Putting a positive spin on the situation, Apple noted that the number of women in leadership positions has grown 1 point to 29 percent, and within leaders under 30, women have advanced 3 points to 39 percent.

Non-whites now represent 46 of the company's U.S. workforce, up 2 points since last year though just 1 point since Apple's first-ever diversity report in 2014. Half of the company's domestic hires between July 2016 and July 2017 were from "historically underrepresented groups in tech," namely women, blacks, Hispanics, Native Americans, Native Hawaiians, and other Pacific islanders.

Accompanying the report is a new marketing video, "Open," which touts the importance of different perspectives and Apple's acceptance of various ages, races, religions, disabilities, and sexual orientations.

Apple has sometimes come under fire for being predominantly male and white, like many other U.S. high-tech firms. In October, Apple's new head of Inclusion and Diversity -- Denise Young Smith, formerly in charge of human resources -- drew flak for allegedly downplaying the need for better gender and racial representation.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    red oakred oak Posts: 1,087member
    My personal hope for Apple is that they are maniacally hiring the very very best people. And not hiring to achieve a certain % or quota 

That said, do everything possible to better the inflow pipeline across all demos 

But no one should get in the door unless they are personally awesome 
    edited November 2017 dunestockgeorgie01trashman69monstrosityRayz2016watto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 2 of 18
    Here's the thing... So-called "Whites" make up 73% of the US population, but a much smaller fraction of the world's population. Is this the alleged "imbalance" that is being addressed by Apple? If so, they better start hiring a LOT more Asians and Indians, otherwise this should be chalked up to Apple buckling under to political correctness run amok.

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demography_of_the_United_States#Race_and_ethnicity

Population (2015 est.)Share of total population
    Total316,515,021100%
    One race307,067,13897.0%
      White232,943,05573.6%
      Black or African American39,908,09512.6%
      American Indian and Alaska Native2,569,1700.8%
      Asian16,235,3055.1%
      Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander546,2550.2%
      Some other race14,865,2584.7%
    Two or more races9,447,8833.0%
      White and Black or African American2,407,3850.8%
      White and American Indian and Alaska Native1,846,9970.6%
      White and Asian1,871,0460.6%
      Black or African American and American Indian and Alaska Native311,5380.1%

And it should also be noted that less than 4% of the population falls into the label of "LGBT", yet this population is overrepresented both in the media and in these diversity pushes.

http://news.gallup.com/poll/183383/americans-greatly-overestimate-percent-gay-lesbian.aspx
    edited November 2017 ZooMigopatchythepiratevlscoutgeorgie01tallest skilmonstrosityspacekidtechprod1gyjony0
  • Reply 3 of 18
    Curious how many people they have over the age of 40. 
  • Reply 4 of 18
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    As long as they are hiring the most qualified people I’m all for diversity. If it’s about quotas and giving a job to a lesser qualified candidate because of their race, sex, ethnicity, to meet the diversity numbers then screw that. It’s nothing less than reverse discrimination.
    boogerman2000hodarmobirdgeorgie01monstrosity[Deleted User]techprod1gywatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 5 of 18
    Diversity does not work....we tried that at my former employer..it sucks because they hired based on diversity crap and ends up those that are really telented and experienced bears the burdens. Ex military are better choices than skin colors in general...
    monstrositywatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 18
    teonyc said:

As someone who worked at Apple retail starting at age 57 (the second time; the first was at 52), I worked with a very diverse group, including at least a half dozen over the age of 50, and one fellow who had retired from somewhere else and worked there until last year, when he retired at 75. Many of the managers in our store were over 40 also. I retired last year, at the age of 69, and I thought about going back, part-time, but the repercussions of a serious accident keeps me from doing that.
    edited November 2017 watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 18
    opa karl said:
    teonyc said:

As someone who worked at Apple retail starting at age 57 (the second time; the first was at 52), I worked with a very diverse group, including at least a half dozen over the age of 50, and one fellow who had retired from somewhere else and worked there until last year, when he retired at 75. Many of the managers in our store were over 40 also. I retired last year, at the age of 69, and I thought about going back, part-time, but the repercussions of a serious accident keeps me from doing that.
    That's terrific. A good mix of ages at the retail level makes the experience easier for customers.
    macxpresswatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 18
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    red oak said:
    My personal hope for Apple is that they are maniacally hiring the very very best people. And not hiring to achieve a certain % or quota 

That said, do everything possible to better the inflow pipeline across all demos 

But no one should get in the door unless they are personally awesome 
    This is my concern too...Every company should be hiring the best person for the position. It doesn't matter if they're male, female, white, black, hispanic, gay/lesbian, straight, etc. So I'm hoping Apple is truly hiring the best person for the position and not a female just to get their rating higher.
    monstrositywatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 18
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    opa karl said:
    teonyc said:

That's terrific. A good mix of ages at the retail level makes the experience easier for customers.
    Yes a totally agree. I notice in the Apple Store I go to that there is a mix of older, middle aged, and younger employees which I think is a good thing. I also noticed they're not afraid to hire someone with tattoos everywhere, or dyed hair, etc. I also think thats really nice. Let someone be who they are and still be able to get a decent job. Sure its still retail, but its not working as a cashier in Kmart or something making minimum wage with no benefits.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 18
    Agreed with the poster’s here. In order to ‘diversify’ we have to care about someone’s race/etc. and account for it in decision-making when it actually doesn’t matter. People are favoured based on their race/etc. and the end result is an unavoidably discrimination against those who don’t meet the ‘diversity’ requirements, essentially supporting the very problem the ‘diversity’ crowd is supposedly trying to fix (but they justify it by believing it’s not possible to discriminate against the majority).
    tallest skilSpamSandwich
  • Reply 11 of 18
    Political thread; should be closed. Right? That’s the problem with a bot system that auto-posts threads.  :p
    SpamSandwich[Deleted User]
  • Reply 12 of 18
    Political thread; should be closed. Right? That’s the problem with a bot system that auto-posts threads.  :p
    It’s lights out if Google gets wind of anyone making comments which could possibly offend a fraction of the people who might visit here.
    edited November 2017 monstrosity
  • Reply 13 of 18
    'Diversity' programs are racist and promote racism. Hiring the best irrespective of race is the only way to stay neutral and not create increasing devision between races. Identity politics creates exactly what it pretends to be against.
    tallest skilwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 18
    Buggy iOS versions is proof that diversity is taking root at Apple.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 18
    The hypocrisy in politically correct programs and ideas like this is simply off the charts. Minorities and discrimination groups want to be treated equal and to be included except when they ARE treated equal and included then they want to be recognised as different and rewarded for it, boggles the mind.
  • Reply 16 of 18
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,858administrator
    It’s lights out if Google gets wind of anyone making comments which could possibly offend a fraction of the people who might visit here.
    What, you think we left it open by accident? It's lights out if forum rules are broken.

Point the finger of blame where it belongs. 15 posts and 10 hours on a contentious topic with no forum rule violations are a new record for behavior from forum-goers.

Thus endeth the meandering from the topic at hand.
    edited November 2017 SpamSandwichwatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 18
    I feel everyone deserves a fair shot but diversity driven behaviors in the hiring process should not be a thing.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 18
    Buggy iOS versions is proof that diversity is taking root at Apple.
    I didn't know that inept was a race. 
    king editor the grate