Mac Book Pro Intermittently Slow/Fast

Posted:
in Genius Bar
From another section I posted this and was told to post here. I apologize for the mix up!

Hey all,

Completely new here so thanks for having me! 
  • Shuts off randomly
  • Doesn't turn on at times (and when it does she has to hold the power button the entire boot)
  • Not sure if this virus may be related, but she has "Mac Ads Cleaner" somehow causing many pop ups (but this has been going on for some time apparently)
She tried some basic things and for about a week, it returned to normal and functioned properly for about a week, but just now it started again. It's annoying because it will shut off while writing a paper and delete her work and pages load very slowly. I want to be able to help her more, but I am familiar with Windows/Linux operating systems and Android OS, so not sure how to handle Apple devices other than hardware. 

I apologize if this is redundant for some, I tried to look up what I can, but being that I only have vague information from my girlfriend, I'm having a hard time finding the issue. 

Any help is greatly appreciated! 

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1

Hi Casey,

I sounds like you should try this. It's an SMC (System Management Controller) reset. Read about it and follow the links. It sounds like your back up against the wall and need some help. It worked for me.

Hope this helps ;)

First confirm that you have the most up-to-date EFI firmware for your mac:  http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1237

Resetting PRAM and NVRAM

1.    Shut down the computer.

2.    Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.

3.    Turn on the computer.

4.    Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.

5.    Hold the keys down until you hear the startup sound ("bong") for the third time.

6.    Release the keys.

SMC Reset:  https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295