Apple acknowledges iPhone X becoming unresponsive in cold weather, promises software fix

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 56
    stevehsteveh Posts: 480member
    jkichline said:
    This is why Apple shouldn’t design things in sunny California where it’s always 60-80 degrees. They should really test things in NY/PA where just Monday it was 80 degrees and tonight the local ski mountain is making snow...
    You do know that there are such things as environmental chambers for testing things at exceptional temperatures and humidity, right?

apple jockey
  • Reply 42 of 56
    jkichline said:
    They should really test things in NY/PA where just Monday it was 80 degrees and tonight the local ski mountain is making snow...
    Or they could at least go to the Sierra Nevadas, which have been 20 degrees below normal temperature for the last two years, SOLID. I seem to recall one ski resort NOT shutting down this summer because the snow just didn’t melt.
    edited November 2017
  • Reply 43 of 56

These sorts of ball-drops -- even if minor -- are getting to be a tad annoying. One would think this sort of thing was basic quality control. 
    It’s good that Apple is quickly addressing things but I have friends and family that are quite annoyed at always seeing a red notification badge on the settings app. 
    Heavens! Well heck, we don’t want to annoy your relatives — no more software updates or fixes, guys! Shut it all down...Software is now frozen!
    You think my friends and family are the only ones annoyed by the constant software updates? Please. Constant updates for bug fixes eventually make you wonder why these bugs aren’t being caught in the first place. 
    anantksundaram
  • Reply 44 of 56
    sdw2001 said:
    LCD touch screens become sluggish is cold weather?  You're shitting me    :D
    The X is an LCD screen?
    edited November 2017
  • Reply 45 of 56

mike1 said:
    These sorts of ball-drops -- even if minor -- are getting to be a tad annoying. One would think this sort of thing was basic quality control. 
    Has nothing to do with dropping a ball. Has to do with electronics in the cold. Period. I can't think of consumer electronic device that is designed to work in below freezing temperatures.
    Some are experiencing issues where temps are above freezing. Since Apple is providing a fix whatever is happening obviously shouldn’t be.
    gatorguy
  • Reply 46 of 56
    ben20ben20 Posts: 126member
    MplsP said:
    This is nothing new - living in MN, my wife and I routinely have our iPhones go unresponsive and shut down if they get cold. Bring them inside and warm them up and they comeback to life. I think the processsor must be a reptile.
    I live in Minnesota and it doesn't happen to my iPhone. And it shouldn't happenen with the X! 
    anantksundaram
  • Reply 47 of 56
    linkmanlinkman Posts: 1,035member
    steveh said:
    Have you ever read the spec sheet for, say, smart phones, not just Apple's?

There is a normal operating range listed, for example for the SE:

Environmental Requirements:
         • Operating ambient temperature: 32° to 95° F (0° to 35° C)
         • Nonoperating temperature: ‑4° to 113° F (‑20° to 45° C)

Currently here in the upper midwest, we're running about 30ºF below the specified ambient operating temperature. This doesn't
    just affect smart phones, digital cameras and other electronics is affected, too. You find ways to work around it, but expecting
    things to just work normally in the very cold isn't in the cards.

Just wait 'til February-ish, where we may be getting days another 30-40º colder.
    Can you state your location? I don't see anywhere in the lower 48 today where the temperature is below 23°F (except on some high mountains which aren't in the upper midwest).
    anantksundaram
  • Reply 48 of 56
    linkman said:
    Can you state your location? I don't see anywhere in the lower 48 today where the temperature is below 23°F (except on some high mountains which aren't in the upper midwest).
    It was 14º here at 8 AM this morning and it only topped out at 30. I’m in the Midwest below the Great Lakes. Right now I’m seeing 20º at the Finger Lakes, 22º at Scranton, and 23º in Lewiston. First arctic blast of the year, or so they say. As for the upper Midwest, ~20º with 20 knot winds seem prevalent right now. That’s not “30 below optemp” as he said, but it’s certainly in that range.
  • Reply 49 of 56
    Apple: "We tested it in Silicon Valley California all summer and found it worked great."
    The coldest winter they ever spent was a summer near San Francisco.  — Marks Twane
    edited November 2017 tallest skildasanman69
  • Reply 50 of 56
    Welcome to Sweden. We have cold winters. And fall and spring. Anywho, I have never had an iPhone stop working due to cold. That said, I would love for phones to have an operating environment tested and guaranteed for below 0 celsius. Just in case.

Our problem is more all the rain, which of course affects a touch screen and how it reads you fingertip. So touch screens that would work under water (and thereby prob. in rain) would be golden!
  • Reply 51 of 56
    mike1 said:
    Has nothing to do with dropping a ball. Has to do with electronics in the cold. Period. I can't think of consumer electronic device that is designed to work in below freezing temperatures.
    Nonsense.
  • Reply 52 of 56
    steveh said:

Currently here in the upper midwest, we're running about 30ºF below the specified ambient operating temperature. This doesn't
    just affect smart phones, digital cameras and other electronics is affected, too. You find ways to work around it, but expecting

Just wait 'til February-ish, where we may be getting days another 30-40º colder.
    Groan. Read the story. Read the whole fracking' thread.
    gatorguy
  • Reply 53 of 56
    GG1GG1 Posts: 483member

It’s good that Apple is quickly addressing things but I have friends and family that are quite annoyed at always seeing a red notification badge on the settings app. 
    Heavens! Well heck, we don’t want to annoy your relatives — no more software updates or fixes, guys! Shut it all down...Software is now frozen!
    You think my friends and family are the only ones annoyed by the constant software updates? Please. Constant updates for bug fixes eventually make you wonder why these bugs aren’t being caught in the first place. 
    Tell your friends and family to jump to Android -- they won't be bothered for updates for the life of the phone, depending on the carrier. ;)
    pscooter63
  • Reply 54 of 56
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,929member
    linkman said:
    steveh said:

I’m in Minneapolis and it’s 30º right now. Yesterday it was 18º. 

ben20 said:
    MplsP said:
    This is nothing new - living in MN, my wife and I routinely have our iPhones go unresponsive and shut down if they get cold. Bring them inside and warm them up and they comeback to life. I think the processsor must be a reptile.
    I live in Minnesota and it doesn't happen to my iPhone. And it shouldn't happenen with the X! 

Both my wife and I have 6s’s. The last two years if it was moderately cold (say 20º F or so) and we had our phones out of our pockets long enough for them to get cold, the battery would ‘die’ and the phones would shut down. After bringing them inside and warming them up they would work fine again. The first time it happened, my wife thought there was something wrong with her battery until we figured out what was happening.
    edited November 2017
  • Reply 55 of 56
    linkman said:
    steveh said:

It's also not "February-ish" yet.