***User submissions on AI? What do you think?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 23
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    [quote]Originally posted by Jonathan:

<strong>nope. you got the wrong thread.

<a href="http://forums.appleinsider.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=6&t=000840"; target="_blank">http://forums.appleinsider.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=6&t=000840</a>;

edit- realized it's in AO not GD. apologies.

[ 03-10-2002: Message edited by: Jonathan ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

lol, alright.

BTW, why is it impossible to search all forums?
  • Reply 22 of 23
    I say go for it, except, I kind of wonder what unique niche in the pantheon of Mac Web Sites this new,new AI would fill. I've read AI since it was the 'Reality" page on MacNN and I miss what it was. But frankly, nobody has the goods on new Apple products more than 72 hours or at the most a week before a show. There aren't that many new models released in a year. You need something to do the other 40+ weeks a year. In the linked Thread Jonathan mentioned the obvious dangers of doing reports on prerelease software. Rumors aren't a "growth area" right now and with at least 4 sites I know of fighting over that space, posting anything new is going to be a challenge. Plus, we could all only take so many "I have friend at Apple/CompUSA/a major Apple customer/the big rock candy mountain and they told me..." stories.

Some of the ideas seem to be a sort of Mac Ars-Technica with Articles written on fairly high level technical subjects. OK, there may be some merit to that, but 1. do we have enough folks who can/will write engaging treatments of these subjects on a regular basis to keep the site fresh. 2. Since Mac users aren't choosing from so many technologies and building their own machines does the concept really have "legs" (ie are there that many people who care which cache architecture is best when they don't have a choice).

Knock yourselves out. I'd love to see Something done with the AI front page, it just would be smart to be sure we aren't having this discussion again 3 months from now.
  • Reply 23 of 23
    BobTheTomato (love the name) wrote:

...1. do we have enough folks who can/will write engaging treatments of these subjects on a regular basis to keep the site fresh.

That was sort of the point of my posting this poll; it seems to have garnered a lot of positive support but no "i have experience in xxx field, and I can help there". :hmm:

2. Since Mac users aren't choosing from so many technologies and building their own machines does the concept really have "legs" (ie are there that many people who care which cache architecture is best when they don't have a choice).

Again, I really don't know. It's definite that, if this would happen, the forums would become the focus of the site; not the articles. The articles (seeing as they would be written by the forum users) would sort of be a bonus- something to give a little more substance to the site. Perhaps what we're going for is less 'articles' but more a 'FAQ' type page for each forum- that is, in FH, have a corresponding page with common definitions like DDR-RAM, etc.

hmmm...