Some iPhone X owners report mystery green lines appearing on displays

Comments

• Reply 21 of 60
    "Apple is replacing affected iPhones for free" - as opposed to them charging to replace a defective, week-old $1000 plus device?

Seriously though, although Apple is replacing units now, it shortly won't. Right now Apple will be working overtime to find a way to resolve this in-store or by repairing it at a local facility. For those to whom this happens in a few weeks or so, expect to be without your iphone for 10 days while it's sent away by the Apple store. I went through similar crap with the iPhone 6 Plus.

Apple does an amazing job at bringing very tech to the mass market, but there are so many variables; unfortunately those comments here about the first X owners being beta testers is spot on. I have an X currently stuck in clearance in China - this doesn't bode well.
    edited November 2017 muthuk_vanalingamSpamSandwich
  • Reply 22 of 60
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    slurpy said:
    Green-line gate?

The problem with social media and the internet is that everything is magnified a thousand fold. Even if a dozen people have this issue, out of MILLIONS, everyone one of these stories is shared infinitely to millions of people, on thousands of sites and countless comments, and suddenly this infinitesimal small number starts to seem like half the units. 
    And you cannot convince people otherwise. Common sense flies out the window when it comes to the Internet. Add to that the rush to judgement by those with an axe to grind. Guess what, ever other phone on the market has these types of issues but we never hear about them. People are all over FaceID like flies on horse shit. Did that happen to Samsung when their facial recognition technology turned out to suck badly? Nope.
    watto_cobrapscooter63StrangeDays
  • Reply 23 of 60
    lkrupp said:
    slurpy said:
    Green-line gate?

The problem with social media and the internet is that everything is magnified a thousand fold. Even if a dozen people have this issue, out of MILLIONS, everyone one of these stories is shared infinitely to millions of people, on thousands of sites and countless comments, and suddenly this infinitesimal small number starts to seem like half the units. 
    And you cannot convince people otherwise. Common sense flies out the window when it comes to the Internet. Add to that the rush to judgement by those with an axe to grind. Guess what, ever other phone on the market has these types of issues but we never hear about them. People are all over FaceID like flies on horse shit. Did that happen to Samsung when their facial recognition technology turned out to suck badly? Nope.
    And of course the pair of you are correct - a bright green line on a new, expensive phone is trivial, right? It's just media hyperbole...
    anantksundarammuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 24 of 60

Seriously though, although Apple is replacing units now, it shortly won't. Right now Apple will be working overtime to find a way to resolve this in-store or by repairing it at a local facility. For those to whom this happens in a few weeks or so, expect to be without your iphone for 10 days while it's sent away by the Apple store. I went through similar crap with the iPhone 6 Plus. 
    But they offered you a loaner phone during the period where it was sent out for repair, right?  Yes, it isn't ideal but it's not as though you were out a phone.

Sounds like this will be an EFFA capture opportunity for any of these iPhones that are brought into an Apple Store.  I'll be curious to hear if this is simply a display issue that could be resolved by replacing the display, or if it's a deeper issue that requires whole unit replacement.
  • Reply 25 of 60
    smaffei said:
    Waiting this one out until rev 2 appears. Have fun being beta testers, folks.
    I’m having a blast! 1 week in, hands down it’s the best phone I’ve ever used. Beautiful, fast, flowing. Square screens (on a phone) look dated and weird to me now.
    ben20StrangeDayscornchip
  • Reply 26 of 60
    jdgazjdgaz Posts: 404member
    Probably only on 3G. Phone is suggesting a better carrier.
  • Reply 27 of 60
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,361member
    All new products have teething pains. I generally wait for the "s" versions to take advantage of the refinements and corrections from the initial version of a new design. The one exception being the iPhone 6 Plus which has proven to be a remarkable first-release product. In fact, the 6 Plus is so good I'm waiting for iPhone Xs before I replace my 6 Plus. If I absolutely had to replace my 6 Plus today I would be all over a maxed-out iPhone 8 Plus and be casually tracking rumors on the iPhone XII or whatever the 3 year out version of the iPhone will be. If Apple did an OLED equipped version of the iPhone with all the best internals but with the iPhone 6 "classic" design and Touch ID I believe it would sell extremely well. Not taking anything away from Face ID, but the latest incarnation of Touch ID is so ridiculously fast and pleasurable to use that replacing it with anything else seems like overkill. I'm willing to live with 1:50,000 spoofing odds.
    pscooter63avon b7
  • Reply 28 of 60
    Has Samsung written all over it!
    watto_cobracornchip
  • Reply 29 of 60
    FaceID is a pain in the rear. 

I think I know what the problem is.  You're definitely using it wrong.
    SoliflyingdpSpamSandwichfirelockStrangeDaysanome
  • Reply 30 of 60
    Can any Apple owner go in and get warranty repair without telling the entire fucking world about it? 

Why don't you see articles titled, "Some Amana microwave owners reporting small spot of dirt on front glass"? 

Give us a friggin' break. I know you want your 15 minutes on social media, because you were afflicted with the deadly "Green lines on my OLED display on an iPhone still under warranty but I want to be interviewed and featured on Gizmodo" issue, but c'mon? 
    edited November 2017 supadav03StrangeDays
  • Reply 31 of 60
    aegeanaegean Posts: 164member
    Since I read about this issue, I now have been testing my iPhone X a lot more frequently, just to ensure it gives me the same pleasure even after 14 days. Almost C$2,000 when everything (Apple folio, protective shield, taxes) is said and done  A week is gone so I have one more week to test it out completely. I have one more X delivering on the 21st but I would like to keep the launch day unit. So far zero issues and Face ID works flawlessly for me.
    edited November 2017
  • Reply 32 of 60
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    larrya said:
    FaceID is a pain in the rear. 

I think I know what the problem is.  You're definitely using it wrong.
    💥

Boom!
  • Reply 33 of 60
    Have this phone for a week. Need to decide if I am keeping it. FaceID is a pain in the rear. Most apps are not optimized for the notch so they are condensed. I realize app optimization will take time but $1200 with tax for this type of experience has been a bit of a bummer.
    Its honestly Apple's fault for making the iPhone X such a joke. They should have given guidelines to developers for app optimization well before the release, so that by the time consumers got their hands on them the apps were optimized. Seriously? Hardware problems too? Apple literally had an extra month and a half to get their crap together for this phone. Face ID also barely works half the time. Not to mention the camera gets outgunned by the Note 8 in almost every aspect possible.
  • Reply 34 of 60
    Have this phone for a week. Need to decide if I am keeping it. FaceID is a pain in the rear. Most apps are not optimized for the notch so they are condensed. I realize app optimization will take time but $1200 with tax for this type of experience has been a bit of a bummer.
    Its honestly Apple's fault for making the iPhone X such a joke. They should have given guidelines to developers for app optimization well before the release, so that by the time consumers got their hands on them the apps were optimized. Seriously? Hardware problems too? Apple literally had an extra month and a half to get their crap together for this phone. Face ID also barely works half the time. Not to mention the camera gets outgunned by the Note 8 in almost every aspect possible.
    Outgunned by Note 8? Haha. Bye Samsung Troll.
    freerangeStrangeDayscornchip
  • Reply 35 of 60
    Whoever the manufacturer is that made poor quality screens should be compensating Apple and any user for their f#ck up.

At least it’s not in the many Samboom products league of F-ups, and grounding aircraft, just last month another batch of Sambooms exploded, one even grounded another plane.

Apple should always avoid Samboom getting any manufacturing from them, they either steal everything or f-it up.
    edited November 2017
  • Reply 36 of 60
    Please go away. You sound ridiculous. Very Trumpian.
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 37 of 60
     I was going to buy an X but may hang in for the X+. I tried one and really do prefer touch ID a lot more than having to put the phone in front of my face the whole time. Also bezel is too skinny to hold easily without activating screen [same on iPad 10.5], battery life seems a lot worse than 8+ [despite it having more AH] and what do you get for the extra 20% over the proven 8+ ?
  • Reply 38 of 60
    "Apple is replacing affected iPhones for free" - as opposed to them charging to replace a defective, week-old $1000 plus device?

Apple does an amazing job at bringing very tech to the mass market, but there are so many variables; unfortunately those comments here about the first X owners being beta testers is spot on. I have an X currently stuck in clearance in China - this doesn't bode well.
    There’s a rather dour and entitled post. No one is forced to buy these things, so cheer up that you’re getting one or stop buying leading edge products. Wait a generation instead and buy after all the bugs are worked out.
    edited November 2017
  • Reply 39 of 60
    So when the screen was praised as the best ever, it was due to "Apple's brilliant design". Now that there's a problem, it's a "Samsung defect".

Amazing how that works.
    singularitygatorguymuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 40 of 60
    Some buyers of Apple's iPhone X are encountering green lines along the left or right side of the OLED display, according to various accounts on social media.

Image Credit: tomek80 via Apple Support Communities
    Image Credit: tomek80 via Apple Support Communities

The lines appear to be developing after use, in at least one case just the space of a day. Complaints have arisen on Reddit, Twitter, Apple's support forums and elsewhere.

Restarting or restoring a device doesn't fix the problem. Only a minority of people are believed to be affected though, regardless of a phone's configuration or the region where it was bought.

Apple is replacing affected iPhones for free, MacRumors indicated. At the same time it's thought to be collecting data for engineers with the hope of diagnosing the issue.

A similar glitch once affected the OLED screen on Samsung's Galaxy S7. Indeed Samsung is thought to be the lone OLED supplier for the iPhone X, as the only company with enough manufacturing capacity to meet Apple demands.