iPhone X, iPhone 8 Plus production accelerating alongside cutback in orders for iPhone 8

Comments

• Reply 21 of 42
    tshapitshapi Posts: 370member
    wood1208 said:
    Makes perfect sense. No one disputes iPhone X is the best PHONE, iPhone 4 is reborn!! Trend, new and upgrades are wanting large screen iPhones. Those who can fork extra money buying like crazy iPhone X and others 8 Plus. Budget conscious upgrades to 7, Plus. For next year, it will help steer Apple to come out with LCD 8S / 8S Plus and OLED XS Plus with the same design philosophy as current iPhone X. Say good buy to Home button,history beyond 8 series iPhones.
    Next year I predict iphoneX and possibly iPhone X plus.  I suspect Apple will kill the standard iPhone and iPhone plus next year, and replace it with an in between model like a 5.2” or something. Or add them to the iPhone SE line
  • Reply 22 of 42
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Anilu_777 said:
    I’ve always liked a bigger phone (physically) for videos and typing so upgraded from the 6s plus to 8 plus this year. If there had been a X plus I’d have gotten that. 
    The ipx screen is bigger than the 8Plus screen 
    The box form is 5.8”, but since the display is curved this is the first time Apple is measuring the diagnosable distance past the edge of the display.

Then you have the missing display area for the notch to add to the missing display area of the corners which gets the number of pixels awfully close to the Plus-sized iPhone despite the former being 458 ppi and the latter only 401 ppi.

Then you have most video being shot in 16:9 which means showing every part of the video (i.e.: not cropped) would be larger on the Plus because of the taller height in landscape mode.

Then you have the Safe Area to consider which furher reduces the area over the 5.5” iPhone for the standard viewing area with most apps. But none of this is a slight against the iPhone X as it still gives you a lot more area in any measure against the 4.7” iPhone despite still maintaining the display width in portrait mode.
    edited November 2017 retrogustobluefire1netmage
  • Reply 23 of 42
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Anilu_777 said:
    I’ve always liked a bigger phone (physically) for videos and typing so upgraded from the 6s plus to 8 plus this year. If there had been a X plus I’d have gotten that. 
    I love the + size but it gives me a little problem of 1 hand use sometimes. I like 4.7” 6/7/8 size but the screen is quite small. The X is perfect for both worlds. I wouldn’t go for the X+ 6.8” whatever!
    bb-15bluefire1watto_cobranetmage
  • Reply 24 of 42
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    fallenjt said:
    Anilu_777 said:
    I love the + size but it gives me a little problem of 1 hand use sometimes. I like 4.7” 6/7/8 size but the screen is quite small. The X is perfect for both worlds. I wouldn’t go for the X+ 6.8” whatever!
    Having to swipe down from the two "ears" on the iPhone X already seems like it might be problematic with one hand. if it is, that would surely be even more of a challenge on a  6.7" iPhone X Plus.
  • Reply 25 of 42
    lkrupp said:
    Let’s not beat around the bush shall we. There were NO production problems with the iPhone X. It was all fabricated bullshit by analysts trying to move the stock. What analysts did here is nothing short of criminal behavior. Nothing ‘plagued’ the iPhone X. It was all analyst chicanery. There was plenty of stock available on release day. Estimated ship dates were going down, not up. The stock market is corrupt and designed for insiders to clean up. They let the little guys, those of us with IRAs and 401Ks, make just enough to keep up with inflation while the big boys wheel and deal and manipulate the market to their enrichment. Am I bitter? Naw... 
    The only way to stop the suposed stock manipulation is for Apple to delist. i.e. go private like Dell.
    That won't happen but I'd really like to see the SEC start investigate the ties that some of these so called experts have.
    Was there a lot of
    "nudge, nudge, wink, wink, say no more" (quoting Monty Python) before the release of the iPhone X?

• Reply 26 of 42
    bb-15bb-15 Posts: 283member
    Soli said:
    Anilu_777 said:
    The box form is 5.8”, but since the display is curved this is the first time Apple is measuring the diagnosable distance past the edge of the display.

Then you have the missing display area for the notch to add to the missing display area of the corners which gets the number of pixels awfully close to the Plus-sized iPhone despite the former being 458 ppi and the latter only 401 ppi.

Then you have most video being shot in 16:9 which means showing every part of the video (i.e.: not cropped) would be larger on the Plus because of the taller height in landscape mode.

Then you have the Safe Area to consider which furher reduces the area over the 5.5” iPhone for the standard viewing area with most apps. But none of this is a slight against the iPhone X as it still gives you a lot more area in any measure against the 4.7” iPhone despite still maintaining the display width in portrait mode.
    It depends on the use of the phone. I almost never watch video on my iPhone. As a personal computing device I use my iP for web browsing (if I can't use my iPad).
    With looking at browsers, the useful area of the iPhone X is below the notch to almost the bottom of the screen. That distance is greater in any dimension than the iP8+ (even though the total area is about = with a slight edge to the iP+). 
    * It comes down to what is a more useful distance for the customer. Is it the slightly wider iP+ screen or the much longer iP X screen?  
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 42
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,064member
    I'm impressed with Apple's ability to make a lineup of iPhones. My wife's 5s is slowly dying, and she doesn't want anything bigger. An iPhoneSE in her future. 

I like my original iPad mini, but it too is getting long in the tooth. Trying to decide my options. Not sure there will be a new iPad mini. Maybe Apple thinks the Plus sized iPhones serve this market.

• Reply 28 of 42
    bb-15 said:
    Soli said:
    Anilu_777 said:

It depends on the use of the phone. I almost never watch video on my iPhone. As a personal computing device I use my iP for web browsing (if I can't use my iPad).
    With looking at browsers, the useful area of the iPhone X is below the notch to almost the bottom of the screen. That distance is greater in any dimension than the iP8+ (even though the total area is about = with a slight edge to the iP+). 
    * It comes down to what is a more useful distance for the customer. Is it the slightly wider iP+ screen or the much longer iP X screen?  
    You can still reach the rightmost of slightly wider 8 Plus screen with your thumb but you cannot reach the very bottom or very top of the X without sliding the phone. Which one makes more sense? A space mostly reachable or a space mostly unreachable?

Anyway, that may be a subjective experience of mine. The point is, many with small hands, especially women, prefer the wider Plus size. The reason for this may be thanks to Siri and iPhone accessories (Watch, EarPods, AirPods) one-handed use is no longer a prerequisite. I no longer dial a number by hand, I talk to Siri for that. And once one-hand requirement is eliminated, customers tend to prefer the biggest display with 16:9 aspect ratio which is the most closer to their familiar displays, computer, TV etc. I think this is what is happening with the 8 Plus right now.
    edited November 2017 watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 42
    On Thursday, a research firm reported that in a few days of September availability, Apple shipped 6.3 million iPhone 8 Plus units, versus 5.4 million of the smaller iPhone 8."

But Kuo says Hon Hai is switching iPhone 8 Plus lines to iPhone X production lines, even though iPhone 8 sales are under performing and iPhone 8 Plus sales are exceeding expectations.

What an idiot.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 42

jungmark said:
    "Production problems", right. 

How about the analysts were wrong in the first place and are just covering their collective basses. 

This happens every year. 
    tzeshan said:
    Ming-Chi Kuo is an Apple production manager?  He is well versed in Apple's daily operation. 
    Kuo is a noxious gas filled balloon.
    ben20bb-15RonnnieOwatto_cobrarotateleftbyte
  • Reply 31 of 42

lkrupp said:
    And I also call bullshit on “cutback in orders for the iPhone 8” in yet more chicanery to give the impression that something is amiss at Apple. Apple is traditionally very conservative in its guidance and they are predicting massive sales and revenue for the holiday quarter.
    YESSSS!!!  Apple's lower of revenue range averages about 3.4% below actual performance since Luca Maestri became CFO 10 quarters ago.  This year's revenue range low is $84 Billion.  Add 3% (lets be conservative) and Maestri's implied actual revenue will be $86.520 Billion, a 10.4% YoY growth rate (that's huge).  FQ1/2019 will grow even more what with two iPhone X models, both shipping last week of September.

Now is the time to hop aboard this train, if you haven't already done so.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 42
    This is wonderful news. More X, more 8 plus. Customers indeed know best what is best for themselves, and enables Apple to make more money, which we hope would enable to design better products that are delightful.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 42
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    On Thursday, a research firm reported that in a few days of September availability, Apple shipped 6.3 million iPhone 8 Plus units, versus 5.4 million of the smaller iPhone 8."

But Kuo says Hon Hai is switching iPhone 8 Plus lines to iPhone X production lines, even though iPhone 8 sales are under performing and iPhone 8 Plus sales are exceeding expectations.

What an idiot.
    No - like it says in the article, Hon Hai is shifting from iPhone 8 (not Plus) to iPhone X.
    bb-15netmage
  • Reply 34 of 42
    lkrupp said:
    Let’s not beat around the bush shall we. There were NO production problems with the iPhone X. It was all fabricated bullshit by analysts trying to move the stock. What analysts did here is nothing short of criminal behavior. Nothing ‘plagued’ the iPhone X. It was all analyst chicanery. There was plenty of stock available on release day. Estimated ship dates were going down, not up. The stock market is corrupt and designed for insiders to clean up. They let the little guys, those of us with IRAs and 401Ks, make just enough to keep up with inflation while the big boys wheel and deal and manipulate the market to their enrichment. Am I bitter? Naw... 
    The only way to stop the suposed stock manipulation is for Apple to delist. i.e. go private like Dell.
    That won't happen but I'd really like to see the SEC start investigate the ties that some of these so called experts have.
    Was there a lot of
    "nudge, nudge, wink, wink, say no more" (quoting Monty Python) before the release of the iPhone X?

I dunno... regardless of their motivations, they are paid analysts essentially influencing markets and stocks to favor themselves and their clients. There's no law against that and freedom of speech would certainly cover it.
  • Reply 35 of 42
    The iPhone X is perfect for me: More screen acreage and, unless the Plus model, it still fits comfortably in my pants pocket. 
    StrangeDaysmagman1979watto_cobramike1
  • Reply 36 of 42
    I'm waiting for them to be available at the apple store, I may have a long wait but I want to trade my iPhone 7 plus at the same time, right now apple will pay $375 for the trade in, that's quite a discount to apply toward my purchase. The smaller dimensions and larger screen size are the main selling points i'm interested in, that and the gorgeous oled screen.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 42
    I think the concept of products 'cannibalising' other products from the same company are not meant to be applied when the product doing the 'cannibalising' is more expensive.
    watto_cobraStrangeDaysradarthekat
  • Reply 38 of 42
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,296member
    Re: HomePod and iMac Pro -- just normal website announcements, I think. The HomePod is going to be a solid hit, but I think third-party stories carrying it will do a lot of the publicity/marketing heavy lifting on that. As for the iMac Pro, Apple will make a big deal about it in stores and on the website with some advertising, but it is MUCH more a niche product than the HomePod so that will be about the extent of it, I think. Not a Christmas bauble, and indeed I think Apple would be smart to delay it to around CES time (early January). I also think how well the iMac Pro does with the so-called "power user" and "professional" markets will determine exactly how much enthusiasm Apple puts into the future Mac Pro, which is even more a niche product these days. A lot of Mac enthusiasts feel entitled to these types of products and an iPhone-like level of attention, but forget that the Mac is very likely to be -- other than the Apple TV, and I now even wonder about that -- the *least successful product Apple makes*, both in terms of revenue and particularly in terms of growth. Contrary to the power user view, I think the Mac receives *more* attention than its sales figures/influence warrant, though I want to make clear I am very glad of this and that the Mac continues to apparently earn its keep.
  • Reply 39 of 42
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,296member
    Three other comments: 1. It might not be (or just be) Ming-Chi Kuo who does this, but we seem to get this lie every year. "Production problems!" they cry for months beforehand, then the rollout goes out with far less difficulty than predicted, and then the story changes to "productions problems smoothed out a long time ago." Making iPhones (especially new ones) is complex, yes, and there are certainly some productions problems -- but these are *always* ironed out *long* before they ramp up for mass production, so essentially the kinds of exaggerated reports we get about this are pretty much always speculative BS or at least overhyped and reported far later than they ever happened, leading to bad publicity in the wrong part of the cycle. As Dan Riccio himself pointed out, the design of the iPhone X was locked down more than a year ago, not three months ago. 2. You would think a guy like Ming-Chi Kuo would be aware that the Chinese New Year happens in February -- that is, nearly halfway into fiscal Q2. It will have zero impact whatsoever on Apple's calendar Q4/fiscal Q1 results. 3, Every single year, without fail, pundits are surprised that Apple correctly anticipates the demand for its products, and cuts or raises orders well in advance of when they need them. Shocking. It's almost like they know what they're doing. :)
    StrangeDaysradarthekat
  • Reply 40 of 42
    I’ve been wondering whether the X will be followed by an XI or we’ll just be stuck with X for decades. iPhone X Mountain Lion?
    I’ll stick with iPhone X Snow Leopard, thankyouverymuch.
    edited November 2017