iPhone X impresses Windows executive, Android fans but bitter bloggers still hating

Comments

• Reply 41 of 130
    SebbCee said:
    I was waiting for X but might go for 8 here are my 4 main concerns: 1. that no bezel makes it difficult to handle without touching screen [iPad 10.5 issue] 2. have heard problems about battery life despite it being bigger than the iPhone 8 3. is it really worth 20% more than an 8 when it is already redundant 4. wearing glasses I like touch ID and might not want to trade it for face recognition where you have to lift the phone in front of your face every time you switch on [biggest concern]
    1) The only issue I have is: if the keyboard is onscreen, sometimes I hit dictation due to habit of grabbing the bottom corner with my thumb. I'm sure I'll overcome that with some more use time.

2) There are some factors here. For me, having owned the 6s Plus, 7 Plus and 8 Plus (for just over a month), I find the battery life to be comparable to those models. I'd say the edge was definitely to the 8 Plus. When it comes to OLED screens, brighter colors use more power to light. If you're using a bunch of apps with lots of light/white, it's going to use more power. I'm hoping Apple gives us dark mode with iOS 12, and I'd bet we'll get it. Apple Watch and Apple TV have it, so we'll see it for iOS 12. 

3) In my opinion, yes. Face ID, OLED Super Retina, stainless steel, size/form factor, dual optical image stabilization and real world battery life for the size is worth the extra price. Once you adapt to the new gestures, you really see why this is the iPhone Apple has wanted to make all along, and you really get comfortable with it very quickly. This phone screams "premium quality" in so many ways. There are things I'm not super crazy about when it comes to iOS on the X, but it's just another small learning curve I'm adjusting to. Give me a couple more weeks, and I'll be spoiled by the intuitive interface elements. I'm almost there, and I almost cringe when I use my iPad Pro now. 

4) I wear glasses. I had them on when I setup Face ID. It's taking a little time for Face ID to adjust to when I'm not wearing them, but it's improving with use. Yes, there are times I have to pick it up or adjust the angle for Face ID to work, but it's not a major annoyance. With actual use, so many features of Face ID are much better than Touch ID, like auto-fill for usernames and passwords, accessing apps that use Touch ID authentication, etc. I no longer have to adjust my grip to get a digit on the home button when authentication is needed where Face ID kicks in. It's a great experience. After using the X, it feels old school awkward using Touch ID on my iPad Pro. If Apple is guilty of fragmentation, it's when it comes to this. Newer, better ways of doing things make it difficult to go back to the old ways, but that's not really a bad problem to have.  
    StrangeDayscato1040watto_cobra
  • Reply 42 of 130
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    SebbCee said:
    I was waiting for X but might go for 8 here are my 4 main concerns: 1. that no bezel makes it difficult to handle without touching screen [iPad 10.5 issue] 2. have heard problems about battery life despite it being bigger than the iPhone 8 3. is it really worth 20% more than an 8 when it is already redundant 4. wearing glasses I like touch ID and might not want to trade it for face recognition where you have to lift the phone in front of your face every time you switch on [biggest concern]
    I suggest you go into an Apple Store, or whatever electronics store that has an iPhone X on display and use it before making judgements. This is the best and only way you'll be sure of whatever you might be thinking. Its no different than test driving a car you might want versus just sitting in front of a computer reading Consumer Reports articles about a vehicle. Use it for yourself, test it yourself and make your own judgments. If you have any questions, there should be someone there to help you. If not, someone here most definitely can. 
    watto_cobramuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 43 of 130
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    cato1040 said:
    Two points:

First, the Apple hater writers don't get paid to be right, they get paid to get hits.  So, from their perspective, being correct is irrelevant.

Second, now that we have arrived in the era of alternative facts, there isn't much of a need for objective truth, nor a way for people who are talking past each other to find out what the truth is.

Objective truths:
    -Many real iPhone users (not all, but many)  struggle with FaceID. Apple probably could have put touchID on the back but didn't
    -There is a camera bump
    -iPhones have never been known for fantastic battery life. At best, it's been good. Some Android phones have actual two day + battery life with average usage
    -the iPhone X has been called by many sites like CNET (not blogs and not Android biased ones) to be the most breakable iPhone ever 
    -the iPhone X stops working in the cold sometimes 
    -some iPhone Xs are getting the green line of death 
    -its screen is less bright than the top of the line Samsung phones'
    -it's expensive 
    -iPhone X users have complained about how multitasking is slower without a home button
    -there is no headphone jack
    -Samsung put a button beneath their screen, something Apple probably could have done
    -iOS gives the user less control over their phone's interface 
    -the iPhone X actually has a slightly lower screen to body ratio compared to the top of the line Samsung phones who'd don't have a notch or as rounded corners (which take away from screen real estate in videos) 
    -it has no open use of NFC
    -it has no back button (this isn't talked about as much, but this has been my complaint since the beginning. I don't want to look for a different way of going back in every app) 
    -they could have switched over to USB C but (here is the opinion section starting) they probably wanted to keep lightning because proprietary jacks lead to more money, and jacks and dongles seem to be a big part of Apple's business 

Opinion:
    -Some iPhone users only think it's great because they haven't seen how far behind they are compared to the best Android phones
    -It seems the author nitpicked a few complaints they could handle (though obviously couldn't) and ignored the ones they could not. There is a pretty clear iOS bias seen

Did you want more facts or is this enough to show you that complaints are real and not just coming from Android diehards. I use Apple computers and tablets used because they last and I don't need the features their competitors offer (and if I do, I have Parallels) so I don't hate Apple. I'm not saying Android is objectively better for everyone (though for the money, I'd say it's best for most), but don't tell me that critics are all lying since 'the iPhone X is by far obviously the best phone in the world' is objectively not true for all. For a company that prides itself on being more glitch free, iPhone X has had a lot of them!

To balance things out from my previous writing, I do appreciate Apple trying to catch up to what they've been missing, as them taking on wireless charging will make the world easier for us Android users who've had it for a while. I do also think that their phones have advantages to MacBook and iPad users (one of the main reasons I'd consider switching to iOS) though iCloud is prohibitively expensive and their port-less computers are causing me to consider switching away. As I'm writing this, I'm realizing that even this paragraph is backhanded, but my origin intent sincerely was not to be like this. Apple did a fantastic job when they introduced the iPhone. It was pretty objectively the best phone at the time. But they've started falling behind at the iPhone 4 and haven't seemed to be able to recover though most people enamoured by their marketing seem to miss this. 

And no, I'm not a blogger who's paid for my writing. Just a middle class tech lover who wants the best for my money and whose opinion may differ from yours (and who may also want to open the eyes of some iSheep who don't know what they're missing out on.)
    You went through the trouble of signing up for an account just to post all of this FUD? Are you really that bored? Do you have links to back all of this FUD up? Its easy to post this stuff. Hell, I could go into an Android forum and post all kinds of crap with no proof. 
    StrangeDaysredgeminiparattlhedtycho_macuserbb-15netmageandrewj5790watto_cobramagman1979pscooter63
  • Reply 44 of 130
    SebbCee said:
    I already replied to you with this link but here it goes again — you don’t have to raise the X in front of your face and it works with glasses. You do realize people within apple wear glasses too, right?

https://youtu.be/cJZoTqtwGzY?t=1m57s

I don’t know what you’re on about with the battery. It’s great, much longer than my 7 regular got. Because it’s much bigger. 
    netmageandrewj5790watto_cobra
  • Reply 45 of 130

No. Just no. I can't forgive Apple for the abomination that is called "the notch." I'll be picking up an iPhone 8+ instead. They should have gotten inspiration from Samsung's Infinity display on how to do an edge to edge display. 
    riiiight. 
    watto_cobramagman1979GeorgeBMaccali
  • Reply 46 of 130
    Spent 22 years within the IBM/Microsoft milieau - and after testing the then-new Mini made the switch. The computing base of my day-to-day life changed for the better and I never looked back. Part of that realization clarified the amount of useless bias inserted into much tech reporting passing itself off as expert and unbiased. GIZMODO was the first bookmark I deleted.

Talented writing doesn't compensate for deliberately skewed analysis, incompetence in everything from engineering to economics.
    StrangeDaysbb-15paisleydiscowatto_cobramagman1979dysamoriapscooter63
  • Reply 47 of 130
    Oh Yeah... Gizmodo.  I remember them now.  They use to be technology blog but they now appear to be more political.
    Oh well.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 48 of 130

cato1040 said:
    Two points:

First, the Apple hater writers don't get paid to be right, they get paid to get hits.  So, from their perspective, being correct is irrelevant.

Second, now that we have arrived in the era of alternative facts, there isn't much of a need for objective truth, nor a way for people who are talking past each other to find out what the truth is.

Objective truths:
    -Many real iPhone users (not all, but many)  struggle with FaceID. Apple probably could have put touchID on the back but didn't
    -There is a camera bump
    -iPhones have never been known for fantastic battery life. At best, it's been good. Some Android phones have actual two day + battery life with average usage
    -the iPhone X has been called by many sites like CNET (not blogs and not Android biased ones) to be the most breakable iPhone ever 
    -it's expensive 
    -iPhone X users have complained about how multitasking is slower without a home button
    -Samsung put a button beneath their screen, something Apple probably could have done
    -the iPhone X actually has a slightly lower screen to body ratio compared to the top of the line Samsung phones who'd don't have a notch or as rounded corners (which take away from screen real estate in videos) 
    -it has no back button (this isn't talked about as much, but this has been my complaint since the beginning. I don't want to look for a different way of going back in every app) 
    -they could have switched over to USB C but (here is the opinion section starting) they probably wanted to keep lightning because proprietary jacks lead to more money, and jacks and dongles seem to be a big part of Apple's business 

Opinion:
    -Some iPhone users only think it's great because they haven't seen how far behind they are compared to the best Android phones
    -It seems the author nitpicked a few complaints they could handle (though obviously couldn't) and ignored the ones they could not. There is a pretty clear iOS bias seen

Did you want more facts or is this enough to show you that complaints are real and not just coming from Android diehards. I use Apple computers and tablets used because they last and I don't need the features their competitors offer (and if I do, I have Parallels) so I don't hate Apple. I'm not saying Android is objectively better for everyone (though for the money, I'd say it's best for most), but don't tell me that critics are all lying since 'the iPhone X is by far obviously the best phone in the world' is objectively not true for all. For a company that prides itself on being more glitch free, iPhone X has had a lot of them!

To balance things out from my previous writing, I do appreciate Apple trying to catch up to what they've been missing, as them taking on wireless charging will make the world easier for us Android users who've had it for a while. I do also think that their phones have advantages to MacBook and iPad users (one of the main reasons I'd consider switching to iOS) though iCloud is prohibitively expensive and their port-less computers are causing me to consider switching away. As I'm writing this, I'm realizing that even this paragraph is backhanded, but my origin intent sincerely was not to be like this. Apple did a fantastic job when they introduced the iPhone. It was pretty objectively the best phone at the time. But they've started falling behind at the iPhone 4 and haven't seemed to be able to recover though most people enamoured by their marketing seem to miss this. 

And no, I'm not a blogger who's paid for my writing. Just a middle class tech lover who wants the best for my money and whose opinion may differ from yours (and who may also want to open the eyes of some iSheep who don't know what they're missing out on.)
    So much nonsense I don’t even know where to begin. The fact that you’re citing “no back button” as a con...just means you’re a diehard fandroid. That and your one-post history make it not even worth addressing the bullshit. 
    redgeminipamacxpressbb-15netmageandrewj5790watto_cobramagman1979GeorgeBMacpscooter63
  • Reply 49 of 130
    xzuxzu Posts: 139member
    Great read! Thank you, I really enjoyed the article. 
    watto_cobramagman1979
  • Reply 50 of 130
    This nonsense has been going on since the days of the PC -- witness the so called "debates" over Windows versus OS2:   OS2 was clearly the superior operating system, but the bloggers trash talked it into oblivion.

It seems like the the first task is to understand the motivation behind the review.  The Wall Street Journal (of all places) is a good place to start:   Joanna Stern's tech reviews come off more as a gossip column rather than anything remotely related to impartial technical accuracy.  But she is not the first at the WSJ to do this:  Walt Mossberg also distorted and twisted reality to fit his goals -- and this can be seen in how his reviews have changed since he left the WSJ...

It is a shame:  people rely on these reviews - but get spin and distortions of reality.  That's probably OK if you know what you are getting:  If you listen to FoxNews you get right wing spin -- if you listen to MSNBC you get left wing spin.  That's ok -- you know what to expect and can adjust for it.  
    But, the problem happens when the reviewer pretends to be honest and impartial but isn't.

There is really only a single cure:  for honest reporting to report on and call out the spin, distortions and out right lies.
    My cousin's boyfriend told me last night that he didn't get the X because he saw a review that said the only way to charge it was wireless... There truly are some screwball reviewers out there. 
    Solibb-15netmageandrewj5790watto_cobramagman1979flaneurGeorgeBMacpscooter63
  • Reply 51 of 130
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    This nonsense has been going on since the days of the PC -- witness the so called "debates" over Windows versus OS2:   OS2 was clearly the superior operating system, but the bloggers trash talked it into oblivion.

It seems like the the first task is to understand the motivation behind the review.  The Wall Street Journal (of all places) is a good place to start:   Joanna Stern's tech reviews come off more as a gossip column rather than anything remotely related to impartial technical accuracy.  But she is not the first at the WSJ to do this:  Walt Mossberg also distorted and twisted reality to fit his goals -- and this can be seen in how his reviews have changed since he left the WSJ...

It is a shame:  people rely on these reviews - but get spin and distortions of reality.  That's probably OK if you know what you are getting:  If you listen to FoxNews you get right wing spin -- if you listen to MSNBC you get left wing spin.  That's ok -- you know what to expect and can adjust for it.  
    But, the problem happens when the reviewer pretends to be honest and impartial but isn't.

There is really only a single cure:  for honest reporting to report on and call out the spin, distortions and out right lies.
    My cousin's boyfriend told me last night that he didn't get the X because he saw a review that said the only way to charge it was wireless... There truly are some screwball reviewers out there. 
    LOL @cato1040 ;can add that to his list.

"Many people are saying…"

redgeminipaStrangeDaysbb-15netmagewatto_cobramagman1979pscooter63
  • Reply 52 of 130
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    Meh. Unimpressed with all of this. The bash editorial by a known lousy "media" outlet, the editorial bashing the editorial, the uncritical worship or bashing of one side or the other, "entertainment news", the clamor over iPhone X (the second Apple product that validates the previously usually incorrect claim of "luxury products for spoiled wealthy people"), the acceptance of everything Apple does without complaint, the attacks on Tim Cook for supporting humanitarian ethics, the arrogant dismissal of usability experts who have valid complaints about Apple products (yes, usability has been going downhill since 2013, but almost no one wants to admit it because they like change for the sake of change)... blah blah blah...
    avon b7cato1040brucemc
  • Reply 53 of 130
    Face Id totally sucks compared to Touch Id. Especially the way Google's implemented it on their phones at the back. Apple nailed unlock on the 5s with Touch ID. Google improved the speed and detection and put it in the back. When I pull the phone out of my pocket, with my finger resting on the sensor, the phone's unlocked halfway through the motion to bring up the phone to view it. With Face Id, there is the half a second delay that just screws up the whole efficiency. Yeah. First world problem. But they took something better and replaced it with something inferior.

Yeah, my Pixel 2 XL screen totally sucks with the blue shift. But I'll take that over the notch. How it doesn't bother everyone is beyond me. Also, I'm not sure why, but the Pixel 2 XL is easier to see outside than the X. I thought that the X is brighter. But it isn't. 
    cato1040
  • Reply 54 of 130
    GG1GG1 Posts: 483member
    No. Just no. I can't forgive Apple for the abomination that is called "the notch." I'll be picking up an iPhone 8+ instead. They should have gotten inspiration from Samsung's Infinity display on how to do an edge to edge display. 
    "They should have gotten inspiration from Samsung's Infinity display on how to do an edge to edge display."

1) Samsung don't have any phones with equivalent FaceID technology (so there's no notch); your comparison is moot.

2) When Samsung copy the FaceID technology with the notch, what will you say then?
    watto_cobramagman1979
  • Reply 55 of 130
    cato1040 said:
    It's amazing how many people criticized my post without offering any actual rebuttals. Oh wait! I know why there aren't any: because they're facts! This is what's happening nowadays (and it's scary). People ignore facts they don't like because it doesn't fit with their ways of thinking! 

The reason I post on articles like these is because they spread misinformation. To be fair, the article this was posted in response to another that was doing the same, but that doesn't justify spreading more nonsense. (If you want to know why I'm calling this nonsense, look at my previous post.)

And for those asking for me to cite sources, a simple Google search will back all that up. Why? Because again, they're facts! 
    No they're not, but there's just so much BS to unpack and it's not really worthwhile with a drive-by troll who clearly doesn't give a shit about facts or having a conversation.

GG1 said:
    "They should have gotten inspiration from Samsung's Infinity display on how to do an edge to edge display."

1) Samsung don't have any phones with equivalent FaceID technology (so there's no notch); your comparison is moot.

2) When Samsung copy the FaceID technology with the notch, what will you say then?
    First Apple is stupid and it's proof the company has lost direction (which is always something they've only ever had in the past, but never the present, which is impossible), and then it was always an obvious decision after others follow Apple's lead.
    edited November 2017 StrangeDaysnetmagewatto_cobraGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 56 of 130
    @cato1040  just a few points n your points(if you bother logging back in). I’ve had my X for just over a week and the only ‘issue’ I’ve had is when typing I occasionally hit the keyboard change button because of the edge display. Face id works brilliantly and more importantly, naturally. So much so I find using the Touch ID button on my iPad a bit of a chore! 

If if you compare this to a galaxy s8 for example, it has a band on the top and bottom whereas the X goes all the way to the edge so which phone has more screen real estate?

why would you need a back button? You can switch between apps quite easily and there’s a previous used app at the top left corner if you get, for example, a message coming in while using another app.

no issues with multitasking as you can access that in a similar way to how you could with a physical button.

headphone jacks were one of my complaints when the 7 came out but I’ve just gone onto a stand alone player which is small enough to pocket and is actually better than any phone based player can be.

which Samsung phone has a button on the bottom? How does this add to the experience of having face id? Certainly not the galaxy s8

no phone or manufacturer is perfect but I held off two generations of new iPhones because my 6 plus was doing the job and I didn’t feel there was a big enough change to warrant trading up. The X does this and it may not have the ‘latest’ tech that Samsung appears to introduce every year but you also have to look at how long Samsung’s implementation of its new tech lasts. It’s not always beneficial to be first to the first out of the block
    StrangeDaysnetmagewatto_cobramagman1979
  • Reply 57 of 130
    thedbathedba Posts: 763member
    cato1040 said:
    It's amazing how many people criticized my post without offering any actual rebuttals. Oh wait! I know why there aren't any: because they're facts! This is what's happening nowadays (and it's scary). People ignore facts they don't like because it doesn't fit with their ways of thinking! 

The reason I post on articles like these is because they spread misinformation. To be fair, the article this was posted in response to another that was doing the same, but that doesn't justify spreading more nonsense. (If you want to know why I'm calling this nonsense, look at my previous post.)

And for those asking for me to cite sources, a simple Google search will back all that up. Why? Because again, they're facts! 
    I can Google “moon landing faked” and come up with countless hits supporting the conspiracy. Does it mean that it was actually faked?
    StrangeDaysbb-15netmagewatto_cobramagman1979pscooter63
  • Reply 58 of 130
    cato1040 said:
    Two points:

Objective truths:
    -There is a camera bump
    -it's expensive 

Opinion:

I tried switching my whole family to Android 2 years ago. Got two Nexus 6p's and 1 5x. Android was a breath of fresh air at that time since everything was brand new. Battery was okay but camera was amazing. Then I started noticing some issues. Most of my financial apps didn't even have finger print authentication (took them a year to add it) Apps were slow to launch and clunky as hell. Chrome browser would constantly stutter on different websites. I understood all of that might be get better with time. It didn't. Fast forward to Feb of 2017, both Nexus phones would die at 25-40% battery. Google blamed huawei, huawei blamed Google. Phone was still usable but insanely unreliable. Since the phone was being so crappy, I borrowed my dad's Nexus 5x while he went with a cheap moto 5 since the 5x was too slow for him. Nexus 5x started bootlooping. After a few more months of nonsense I couldnt take it anymore. Bought a couple iPhone SE's to hold us over until iPhone X launch. Best decision ever. 

Android might be ahead in hardware. They have always been and will remain behind in quality. 
    RonnnieObb-15netmagepscooter63
  • Reply 59 of 130
    Soli said:

cato1040 said:
    Two points:

Objective truths:
    -There is a camera bump
    -it's expensive 

Opinion:

That's a lot of lies for one post.
    Don’t tell him that. The fact that he has to be here shows how butthurt he is. Let him be. 
    SolismashcakemacxpressStrangeDaysBluntlkruppbb-15netmagewatto_cobramagman1979
  • Reply 60 of 130
    smashcake said:
    cato1040 said:
    Two points:

Objective truths:
    -There is a camera bump
    -it's expensive 

Opinion:

I tried switching my whole family to Android 2 years ago. Got two Nexus 6p's and 1 5x. Android was a breath of fresh air at that time since everything was brand new. Battery was okay but camera was amazing. Then I started noticing some issues. Most of my financial apps didn't even have finger print authentication (took them a year to add it) Apps were slow to launch and clunky as hell. Chrome browser would constantly stutter on different websites. I understood all of that might be get better with time. It didn't. Fast forward to Feb of 2017, both Nexus phones would die at 25-40% battery. Google blamed huawei, huawei blamed Google. Phone was still usable but insanely unreliable. Since the phone was being so crappy, I borrowed my dad's Nexus 5x while he went with a cheap moto 5 since the 5x was too slow for him. Nexus 5x started bootlooping. After a few more months of nonsense I couldnt take it anymore. Bought a couple iPhone SE's to hold us over until iPhone X launch. Best decision ever. 

Android might be ahead in hardware. They have always been and will remain behind in quality. 
    I see this from time to time, but I don't see where your rationale comes from. Is there an SoC more advanced than the A11? Is there an OLED in a phone that better quality than the iPhone X? Is there a face recognition that's faster and more secure than Face ID? Is there a build quality that's ahead of any iPhone? Whose logic boards are as tightly packed as the iPhone X?
    StrangeDaysbb-15redgeminipawatto_cobramagman1979pscooter63