iPhone X impresses Windows executive, Android fans but bitter bloggers still hating

Comments

• Reply 61 of 130
    GG1GG1 Posts: 483member
    GG1 said:
    No. Just no. I can't forgive Apple for the abomination that is called "the notch." I'll be picking up an iPhone 8+ instead. They should have gotten inspiration from Samsung's Infinity display on how to do an edge to edge display. 
    "They should have gotten inspiration from Samsung's Infinity display on how to do an edge to edge display."

1) Samsung don't have any phones with equivalent FaceID technology (so there's no notch); your comparison is moot.

2) When Samsung copy the FaceID technology with the notch, what will you say then?
    First Apple is stupid and it's proof the company has lost direction (which is always something they've only ever had in the past, but never the present, which is impossible), and then it was always an obvious decision after others follow Apple's lead.
    Of course, Steve Jobs would never have let that notch happen. Or never have removed the headphone jack or TouchID. Or use burn-in-prone OLED. Or...
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 62 of 130
    Soli said:
    smashcake said:
    cato1040 said:
    Two points:

First, the Apple hater writers don't get paid to be right, they get paid to get hits.  So, from their perspective, being correct is irrelevant.

Second, now that we have arrived in the era of alternative facts, there isn't much of a need for objective truth, nor a way for people who are talking past each other to find out what the truth is.

Objective truths:
    -Many real iPhone users (not all, but many)  struggle with FaceID. Apple probably could have put touchID on the back but didn't
    -There is a camera bump
    -iPhones have never been known for fantastic battery life. At best, it's been good. Some Android phones have actual two day + battery life with average usage
    -the iPhone X has been called by many sites like CNET (not blogs and not Android biased ones) to be the most breakable iPhone ever 
    -the iPhone X stops working in the cold sometimes 
    -some iPhone Xs are getting the green line of death 
    -its screen is less bright than the top of the line Samsung phones'
    -it's expensive 
    -iPhone X users have complained about how multitasking is slower without a home button
    -there is no headphone jack
    -Samsung put a button beneath their screen, something Apple probably could have done
    -iOS gives the user less control over their phone's interface 
    -the iPhone X actually has a slightly lower screen to body ratio compared to the top of the line Samsung phones who'd don't have a notch or as rounded corners (which take away from screen real estate in videos) 
    -it has no open use of NFC
    -it has no back button (this isn't talked about as much, but this has been my complaint since the beginning. I don't want to look for a different way of going back in every app) 
    -they could have switched over to USB C but (here is the opinion section starting) they probably wanted to keep lightning because proprietary jacks lead to more money, and jacks and dongles seem to be a big part of Apple's business 

Opinion:
    -Some iPhone users only think it's great because they haven't seen how far behind they are compared to the best Android phones
    -It seems the author nitpicked a few complaints they could handle (though obviously couldn't) and ignored the ones they could not. There is a pretty clear iOS bias seen

Did you want more facts or is this enough to show you that complaints are real and not just coming from Android diehards. I use Apple computers and tablets used because they last and I don't need the features their competitors offer (and if I do, I have Parallels) so I don't hate Apple. I'm not saying Android is objectively better for everyone (though for the money, I'd say it's best for most), but don't tell me that critics are all lying since 'the iPhone X is by far obviously the best phone in the world' is objectively not true for all. For a company that prides itself on being more glitch free, iPhone X has had a lot of them!

To balance things out from my previous writing, I do appreciate Apple trying to catch up to what they've been missing, as them taking on wireless charging will make the world easier for us Android users who've had it for a while. I do also think that their phones have advantages to MacBook and iPad users (one of the main reasons I'd consider switching to iOS) though iCloud is prohibitively expensive and their port-less computers are causing me to consider switching away. As I'm writing this, I'm realizing that even this paragraph is backhanded, but my origin intent sincerely was not to be like this. Apple did a fantastic job when they introduced the iPhone. It was pretty objectively the best phone at the time. But they've started falling behind at the iPhone 4 and haven't seemed to be able to recover though most people enamoured by their marketing seem to miss this. 

And no, I'm not a blogger who's paid for my writing. Just a middle class tech lover who wants the best for my money and whose opinion may differ from yours (and who may also want to open the eyes of some iSheep who don't know what they're missing out on.)
    I tried switching my whole family to Android 2 years ago. Got two Nexus 6p's and 1 5x. Android was a breath of fresh air at that time since everything was brand new. Battery was okay but camera was amazing. Then I started noticing some issues. Most of my financial apps didn't even have finger print authentication (took them a year to add it) Apps were slow to launch and clunky as hell. Chrome browser would constantly stutter on different websites. I understood all of that might be get better with time. It didn't. Fast forward to Feb of 2017, both Nexus phones would die at 25-40% battery. Google blamed huawei, huawei blamed Google. Phone was still usable but insanely unreliable. Since the phone was being so crappy, I borrowed my dad's Nexus 5x while he went with a cheap moto 5 since the 5x was too slow for him. Nexus 5x started bootlooping. After a few more months of nonsense I couldnt take it anymore. Bought a couple iPhone SE's to hold us over until iPhone X launch. Best decision ever. 

Android might be ahead in hardware. They have always been and will remain behind in quality. 
    I see this from time to time, but I don't see where your rationale comes from. Is there an SoC more advanced than the A11? Is there an OLED in a phone that better quality than the iPhone X? Is there a face recognition that's faster and more secure than Face ID? Is there a build quality that's ahead of any iPhone? Whose logic boards are as tightly packed as the iPhone X?
    Don't know, not a true techie and just a consumer. Similar to what this article was saying. When it comes to general usage, I know my experience was terrible. I always hated the easy cop out for Apple which is "it just works". When all my devices failed all at the same time in such a spectacular way, "just works" meant a lot more to me than hardware stats. 
    bb-15
  • Reply 63 of 130
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    I've seen a lot of Jesus Diaz' trash over the years. He's nothing but a massive Android evangelist, and a transparent anti-Apple troll. The sad thing is that people might actually read his tired drivel and assume he's some kind of objective authority. This is the kind of guy that gets sexually excited about the prospect of Apple failing, so he invents his own reality where this is the case. I remember him whining incessantly about iPhone's "outdated" button and bezels, so of course now he's shitting on them for removing them. The worst part is that he actually gets paid for his "opinion". 
    StrangeDaysbb-15netmagewatto_cobramagman1979
  • Reply 64 of 130
    Thank you @bobby88 ;for giving an actual response. @thedba unfortunately again demonstrates how some people prefer to ignore facts. @bobby88, I'm glad you enjoy your iPhone X and that you have not had issues with what Apple has changed about it.

As a reminder to those reading, I did my first post because someone has asking about objective facts. Almost all reviewers (not just bloggers) found FaceID to be imperfect. I prefer the option of both fingerprint and face unlocking, but if FaceID alone works for you, that's great. Also, objectively, the S8 has more screen real estate and a higher screen to body ratio, you can look it up. It goes wider than the iPhone. The iPhone gives the illusion of otherwise, but the numbers don't lie. The S8 also does have a button at the bottom of the screen, it's just hidden behind the screen (apparently it's very well hidden ;D). I'll admit that though the presence of controls is objective, their influence on the user is subjective. I use an iPad, and there's no way I could go back or multitask with it as quickly or as easily as on my S8, but if you're okay with that, that's fine. I also prefer using headphones I don't need to charge without a dongle, but that's me. 

I do get your complaint about Samsung being first off the block but I'd rather at least have the option. Don't get me wrong, Android's aren't without fault  as demonstrated by the Note 7 and the Pixel 2. The issue is that for better or worse, the iPhone sets the standards, and unless their clients demand better, the standard will remain placid. The quality of the iPhone generally sets the quality of phones in general. (Though Apple does have fantastic service.) 
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 65 of 130
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,911member
    Any objective reading of the bloggers’ posts quickly shows that they are far from unbiased. For many people, smart phones are more like a religion. I would point out, that as annoying these ‘fandroid’ blog posts are to read, there are also ‘isheep’ on the other side that can be equally biased. I am a long time Apple/Mac user and big supporter. (This was confirmed last week when I was helping my son set up his new (PC) gaming computer and I had to use windows - it still sucks.) Yet I will never claim that Apple never makes mistakes or that their products are perfect, just that they are better. Blind denial of things doesn’t further discussion, it just damages your credibility.
    cato1040watto_cobramuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 66 of 130
    robjnrobjn Posts: 280member
    I took my 5 and 7 year olds into an Apple Store. They picked up iPhone 8s and started playing a game. I played with iPhone X on the same table and after several minutes I wanted to find out what my kids would do if handed a phone with no home button - with no coaching! This is the best test of whether something is intuitive.

They were engrossed in the game they were playing and did not want to participate in my experiment. However, my 7 year old decided to humor me by giving the iPhone X two seconds of his attention - what did he do? He tapped the screen to wake - looked down at the home indicator and immediately swiped up on it!

I was amazed! How did he know to do this? (Given the same experiment my wife used the side button to wake and then after several seconds she needed Apple’s ‘swipe up’ prompt to get in). For my son, as an iPad user that typically uses the home button to wake, tapping the screen to wake was intuitive. How did he know to swipe up on the home indicator? Simple, this design language is not new and my 7 year old recognized it from his prior use of iOS - he knew something was hidden down there and what he needed to do to reveal it.

This is fastest, most fluid user interface ever! It’s much better.

(I sometimes somehow activate Apple Pay when trying to unlock my iPhone 6. The user interface says “press to unlock” when you really just need to touch the sensor.)

By the way Daniel, the use of the definite article with a product name is not improper and comes across as a petty criticism in your article. The ‘angry tone’ you detect from the use of the definite article is subtle at best and not what the definite article usually communicates. You yourself use the same syntax when you write “Next he moves on to the A11 Bionic”. Of course Apple can dictate some linguistic conventions around their product names such as whether certain letters are capitalized but they can’t change the rules of grammar for the English language that will in some contexts require the definite or indefinite articles and in other contexts allow them.

Of course some writer deliberately want to defy Apple - for example insisting on writing “iWatch” but then there are typical grammatical conventions. For example, it always bugs me that in typical American English usage people refer to “legos”. The company prefers “Lego” to be used when grammar appears to call for plural form. European’s are on-board with using “Lego”. As a native British English speaker legos/Legos seems wrong to me but that’s all I hear as a California resident. Americans are of course simply modifying the word according to grammatical convention by appending the most common plural modifier ‘s’ because they know that Lego is made up of many pieces.
    edited November 2017 bb-15randominternetpersonequality72521
  • Reply 67 of 130
    dysamoria said:
    Meh. Unimpressed with all of this. The bash editorial by a known lousy "media" outlet, the editorial bashing the editorial, the uncritical worship or bashing of one side or the other, "entertainment news", the clamor over iPhone X (the second Apple product that validates the previously usually incorrect claim of "luxury products for spoiled wealthy people"), the acceptance of everything Apple does without complaint, the attacks on Tim Cook for supporting humanitarian ethics, the arrogant dismissal of usability experts who have valid complaints about Apple products (yes, usability has been going downhill since 2013, but almost no one wants to admit it because they like change for the sake of change)... blah blah blah...
    Nah. You’re just a hater and a simple review of your posting history makes that plain. You hate apple products, apple design, computers, and capitalism. What have we missed? 

I’ll never understand the purpose of haters who visit an apple site just to shit on it over and over. Neurosis, or paycheck?

Btw, “affordable luxury” is a valid product category. iphones are in it. Even the X. The other product I assume you’re referring to is the Watch, but for some reason you ignore the lower tier offerings. Even the gold one was a third the price of my subaru, so it’s standing as a luxury item isn’t nearly the same as true luxury products. But yes, you hate wealth and apple making money while you slave away as a broke graphic designer. We get it. Woe is you. 

Fuck it, I’m sick of your neurosis. Join Ben Frost and Sog in the parlor, will you? PLONK!
    edited November 2017 BluntRonnnieOnetmagebb-15brucemcmagman1979Rayz2016watto_cobraequality72521
  • Reply 68 of 130

cato1040 said:
    It's amazing how many people criticized my post without offering any actual rebuttals. Oh wait! I know why there aren't any: because they're facts! This is what's happening nowadays (and it's scary). People ignore facts they don't like because it doesn't fit with their ways of thinking! 

The reason I post on articles like these is because they spread misinformation. To be fair, the article this was posted in response to another that was doing the same, but that doesn't justify spreading more nonsense. (If you want to know why I'm calling this nonsense, look at my previous post.)

And for those asking for me to cite sources, a simple Google search will back all that up. Why? Because again, they're facts! 
    No, the reason we’re not taking down your mindless explosion of verbal diarrhea is because we know a troll when we see one. You don’t get to call apple fans iSheep on an apple site and pretend you’re anything other than a frothing troll. You’re full of shit up to your eyeballs and it’s rather dull. 

Troll Score: 1 of 10. 
    BluntSoliRonnnieOnetmagebrucemcmagman1979watto_cobraequality72521
  • Reply 69 of 130
    BluntBlunt Posts: 224member
    dysamoria said:
    Meh. Unimpressed with all of this. The bash editorial by a known lousy "media" outlet, the editorial bashing the editorial, the uncritical worship or bashing of one side or the other, "entertainment news", the clamor over iPhone X (the second Apple product that validates the previously usually incorrect claim of "luxury products for spoiled wealthy people"), the acceptance of everything Apple does without complaint, the attacks on Tim Cook for supporting humanitarian ethics, the arrogant dismissal of usability experts who have valid complaints about Apple products (yes, usability has been going downhill since 2013, but almost no one wants to admit it because they like change for the sake of change)... blah blah blah...
     Blah blah blah and meh.
    StrangeDaysmagman1979watto_cobra
  • Reply 70 of 130
    Is there anything easier than writing a editorial for this site? It’s like Donald Trump at a campaign rally throwing red meat to his base. He knows what to give them and they eat it up every time.
    cato1040singularitymuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 71 of 130
    dws-2dws-2 Posts: 276member
    I have to admit that I doubted that Apple could sell such an expensive phone, but clearly the price is right enough. I do wonder, though, how expensive an iPhone would have to be before it would stop selling in large numbers. 
    cato1040muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 72 of 130
    Other than specific cases of irrational negativity towards Apple, as with Jesus Diaz, in which bloggers have a chip on their shoulders about Apple because they were rebuffed for doing brain-dead or illegal things (like paying for a stolen iPhone 4 prototype, and trying to use it to blackmail Apple into revealing unreleased information about the product), there is a general malaise suffered by some people when it comes to Apple, its products, and users of its products. In the comments sections of some blogs and articles dealing specifically with Apple's iPhone, or other Apple products, there are disparaging remarks from, almost exclusively, Android users/fans. The reactive, aggressive, and often juvenile comments that attempt to denigrate Apple, its products, and its users, come from insecure people who feel threatened by the existence of a high quality product and ecosystem that is different (and in many ways objectively better) than the one they chose for themselves. Alternatively, it's not that often (if at all) that you will come across iPhone users going out of their way to waste their time writing insulting comments attacking Android phones and users on Android blogs and articles. In the few cases you might find, those iPhone users may be just hitting back after reading derogatory comments about them from Android fans. But those Android fans, feeling uncertainty (and probably also regret) about the alternative they have chosen for themselves, try to build up their own egos by attacking others who have chosen differently, and who are very happy with the Apple product they have chosen. Those negative reactions are one of the strongest indications (in addition to Apple's financial success, the huge numbers of products the company sells, and the highest customer satisfaction ratings from its users) that Apple has developed and introduced another highly successful product. In a way, iPhone users should take comfort in the reinforcement that these irrational insults represent. 😉
    magman1979watto_cobramuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 73 of 130
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    dws-2 said:
    I have to admit that I doubted that Apple could sell such an expensive phone, but clearly the price is right enough. I do wonder, though, how expensive an iPhone would have to be before it would stop selling in large numbers. 
    1) I knew they could do it because of the demand from previous years v how many they were making clearly indicates they're selling at below their equilibrium point for several months into each new launch.

2) That depends on how you define "large numbers." Apple and Samsung's idea of large numbers for any given model number are very different, but I'd say that anything that is considerably lower than a previous year and well below their ability to manufacture v selling new iPhones at launch would be a solid indicator that Apple has gone beyond the ideal equilibrium point for a launch.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 74 of 130
    Other than specific cases of irrational negativity towards Apple, as with Jesus Diaz, in which bloggers have a chip on their shoulders about Apple because they were rebuffed for doing brain-dead or illegal things (like paying for a stolen iPhone 4 prototype, and trying to use it to blackmail Apple into revealing unreleased information about the product), there is a general malaise suffered by some people when it comes to Apple, its products, and users of its products. In the comments sections of some blogs and articles dealing specifically with Apple's iPhone, or other Apple products, there are disparaging remarks from, almost exclusively, Android users/fans. The reactive, aggressive, and often juvenile comments that attempt to denigrate Apple, its products, and its users, come from insecure people who feel threatened by the existence of a high quality product and ecosystem that is different (and in many ways objectively better) than the one they chose for themselves. Alternatively, it's not that often (if at all) that you will come across iPhone users going out of their way to waste their time writing insulting comments attacking Android phones and users on Android blogs and articles. In the few cases you might find, those iPhone users may be just hitting back after reading derogatory comments about them from Android fans. But those Android fans, feeling uncertainty (and probably also regret) about the alternative they have chosen for themselves, try to build up their own egos by attacking others who have chosen differently, and who are very happy with the Apple product they have chosen. Those negative reactions are one of the strongest indications (in addition to Apple's financial success, the huge numbers of products the company sells, and the highest customer satisfaction ratings from its users) that Apple has developed and introduced another highly successful product. In a way, iPhone users should take comfort in the reinforcement that these irrational insults represent. 😉
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 75 of 130
    Other than specific cases of irrational negativity towards Apple, as with Jesus Diaz, in which bloggers have a chip on their shoulders about Apple because they were rebuffed for doing brain-dead or illegal things (like paying for a stolen iPhone 4 prototype, and trying to use it to blackmail Apple into revealing unreleased information about the product), there is a general malaise suffered by some people when it comes to Apple, its products, and users of its products. In the comments sections of some blogs and articles dealing specifically with Apple's iPhone, or other Apple products, there are disparaging remarks from, almost exclusively, Android users/fans. The reactive, aggressive, and often juvenile comments that attempt to denigrate Apple, its products, and its users, come from insecure people who feel threatened by the existence of a high quality product and ecosystem that is different (and in many ways objectively better) than the one they chose for themselves. Alternatively, it's not that often (if at all) that you will come across iPhone users going out of their way to waste their time writing insulting comments attacking Android phones and users on Android blogs and articles. In the few cases you might find, those iPhone users may be just hitting back after reading derogatory comments about them from Android fans. But those Android fans, feeling uncertainty (and probably also regret) about the alternative they have chosen for themselves, try to build up their own egos by attacking others who have chosen differently, and who are very happy with the Apple product they have chosen. Those negative reactions are one of the strongest indications (in addition to Apple's financial success, the huge numbers of products the company sells, and the highest customer satisfaction ratings from its users) that Apple has developed and introduced another highly successful product. In a way, iPhone users should take comfort in the reinforcement that these irrational insults represent.😉
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 76 of 130
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 77 of 130

Other than specific cases of irrational negativity towards Apple, as with Jesus Diaz, in which bloggers have a chip on their shoulders about Apple because they were rebuffed for doing brain-dead or illegal things (like paying for a stolen iPhone 4 prototype, and trying to use it to blackmail Apple into revealing unreleased information about the product), there is a general malaise suffered by some people when it comes to Apple, its products, and users of its products.

In the comments sections of some blogs and articles dealing specifically with Apple's iPhone, or other Apple products, there are disparaging remarks from, almost exclusively, Android users/fans.

The reactive, aggressive, and often juvenile comments that attempt to denigrate Apple, its products, and its users, come from insecure people who feel threatened by the existence of a high quality product and ecosystem that is different (and in many ways objectively better) than the one they chose for themselves.

Alternatively, it's not that often (if at all) that you will come across iPhone users going out of their way to waste their time writing insulting comments attacking Android phones and users on Android blogs and articles. When you are happy with the product you have chosen for yourself, there is no need to defend your ego by attacking others. In the few cases you might find, those iPhone users may be just hitting back after reading derogatory comments about them from Android fans.

But those Android fans, feeling uncertainty (and probably also regret) about the alternative they have chosen for themselves, try to build up their own egos by attacking others who have chosen differently, and who are very happy with the Apple product they have chosen.

Those negative reactions are one of the strongest indications (in addition to Apple's financial success, the huge numbers of products the company sells, and the highest customer satisfaction ratings from its users) that Apple has developed and introduced another highly successful product.

In a way, iPhone users should take comfort in the reinforcement that these irrational insults represent.

edited November 2017 watto_cobra
  • Reply 78 of 130
    BluntBlunt Posts: 224member
    cato1040 said:
    Here's my last post.

Hope you keep your promise. Android sites is where you belong.
    netmagesmashcakebrucemcStrangeDaysmagman1979watto_cobra
  • Reply 79 of 130
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    cato1040 said:
    And people, try to not swear or call others names for no reason. That's general life advice I hope we can all agree to. 
    Fuck that! Don’t push your social hang ups on everyone else.

“The sort of twee person who thinks swearing is in any way a sign of a lack of education or a lack of verbal interest is just a fucking lunatic.” — Stephen Fry

Here’s a novel idea: Instead of worrying about words you deem cursed, why don’t you try to focus on being honest?
    edited November 2017 netmageStrangeDaysmagman1979watto_cobra
  • Reply 80 of 130
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Daniel’s articles never fail to attract the dregs who lurk under the bridge.
    netmagemacseekerappleismymiddlenamepaisleydiscomagman1979watto_cobra