iPhone X impresses Windows executive, Android fans but bitter bloggers still hating

Comments

• Reply 81 of 130
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    lkrupp said:
    Daniel’s articles never fail to attract the dregs who lurk under the bridge.
    You have to wonder if Diaz is sending these people here to fight his battles for him.
    appleismymiddlenamemacseekermagman1979watto_cobralkrupp
  • Reply 82 of 130
    I know Apple prefers no “the” in front of their product names, but I see no reason to be militant about common usage outside of Apple’s PR releases. Hell, most people are calling the iPhone (Ten) the iPhone (Ecks).
  • Reply 83 of 130
    I know Apple prefers no “the” in front of their product names, but I see no reason to be militant about common usage outside of Apple’s PR releases. Hell, most people are calling the iPhone (Ten) the iPhone (Ecks).
    I agree, and I don't think it's the same as using MAC. I'd say that I-Phone is more inline with that comparison.
  • Reply 84 of 130
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,668member
    os2baba said:
    Face Id totally sucks compared to Touch Id. Especially the way Google's implemented it on their phones at the back. Apple nailed unlock on the 5s with Touch ID. Google improved the speed and detection and put it in the back. When I pull the phone out of my pocket, with my finger resting on the sensor, the phone's unlocked halfway through the motion to bring up the phone to view it. With Face Id, there is the half a second delay that just screws up the whole efficiency. Yeah. First world problem. But they took something better and replaced it with something inferior.

Yeah, my Pixel 2 XL screen totally sucks with the blue shift. But I'll take that over the notch. How it doesn't bother everyone is beyond me. Also, I'm not sure why, but the Pixel 2 XL is easier to see outside than the X. I thought that the X is brighter. But it isn't. 
    Personally, I have no problems with the notch and probably wouldn't with FaceID either, but I agree that my rear mounted fingerprint sensor unlocks my phone way faster than FaceID ever could simply because it's unlocked from the second I pick it up or take it out of my pocket.

From a purely unlocking perspective, FaceID offers me no advantage over TouchID. It's another way of performing the same action and technically less likely to see a false positive, but TouchID was already secure enough for me.

On the bezel or bezeless side, it's nice to them but they are probably more fashion changes than anything else. The side bezels were largely eliminated a while back allowing for bigger screens in your hand. Now, the foreheads and chins are being eliminated. It's not a huge leap by any stretch of the imagination.

Of more interest will be the training of the NPU which of course isn't limited to the X. If the price of that is out of your reach, you still have the 8 series although by the time it gets any external training (as opposed to the phone learning from the user) we might be on the next revision.

muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 85 of 130
    I was in an Apple store a few days ago and held up my iPhone 7 next to the iPhone X and the difference in the quality of the screen was hard to see.  Yes, the edge goes to the iPhone X but it is not night and day like it was before and after the iPhone 4 came out. 

Also, let's be real.  It is a less than 5 inch screen that is quickly covered in figure prints and smears.  This is not a 70 inch TV to watch 4K movies.  This is a pocket device to read texts and Facebook with.  For those that need the best of the best or like being early adopters and enjoy a bit of status, good for you.  But for working stiffs who support a family of four with teenagers, I'll get four iPhone 7s and keep $1,400 in my pocket, and get that 4K TV instead where all the resolution matters.
    muthuk_vanalingamlkrupp
  • Reply 86 of 130
    I was in an Apple store a few days ago and held up my iPhone 7 next to the iPhone X and the difference in the quality of the screen was hard to see.  Yes, the edge goes to the iPhone X but it is not night and day like it was before and after the iPhone 4 came out. 

Also, let's be real.  It is a less than 5 inch screen that is quickly covered in figure prints and smears.  This is not a 70 inch TV to watch 4K movies.  This is a pocket device to read texts and Facebook with.  For those that need the best of the best or like being early adopters and enjoy a bit of status, good for you.  But for working stiffs who support a family of four with teenagers, I'll get four iPhone 7s and keep $1,400 in my pocket, and get that 4K TV instead where all the resolution matters.
    You should only get a new smartphone when the benefits outweigh the costs, but I will point out that there is an objective benefit to higher PPI for reading text on a small display, not just for watching movies on a large display. Maybe moving from 326 PPI to 458 PPI doesn't make a noticeable difference with your vision, but I can certainly tell that things are more crisp on the iPhone X, as well as it being brighter and having other benefits over the iPhone 7 series display. This goes for the iPhone 8 series in everything but an increase of PPI. There are also a few minor negatives to the iPhone X's display, but negatives nonetheless.
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 87 of 130
    bb-15bb-15 Posts: 283member
    cato1040 said:
    As a reminder to those reading, I did my first post because someone has asking about objective facts. Almost all reviewers (not just bloggers) found FaceID to be imperfect. I prefer the option of both fingerprint and face unlocking, but if FaceID alone works for you, that's great. Also, objectively, the S8 has more screen real estate and a higher screen to body ratio, you can look it up. It goes wider than the iPhone. The iPhone gives the illusion of otherwise, but the numbers don't lie. The S8 also does have a button at the bottom of the screen, it's just hidden behind the screen (apparently it's very well hidden ;D). I'll admit that though the presence of controls is objective, their influence on the user is subjective. I use an iPad, and there's no way I could go back or multitask with it as quickly or as easily as on my S8, but if you're okay with that, that's fine. I also prefer using headphones I don't need to charge without a dongle, but that's me. 

I do get your complaint about Samsung being first off the block but I'd rather at least have the option. Don't get me wrong, Android's aren't without fault  as demonstrated by the Note 7 and the Pixel 2. The issue is that for better or worse, the iPhone sets the standards, and unless their clients demand better, the standard will remain placid. The quality of the iPhone generally sets the quality of phones in general. (Though Apple does have fantastic service.) 
    The tone of this post is better.
    In your first comment you said about certain iPhone users; "want to open the eyes of some iSheep who don't know what they're missing out on."
    Since your topic is "objective facts"; You call some people iSheep (an insult), they will insult you back.

1. Your main underlying comparison is between the iPhone as a whole and all Android phones;
    You wrote; "they've started falling behind at the iPhone 4 and haven't seemed to be able to recover though most people enamoured by their marketing seem to miss this."
    - But then you pull a trick where you only compare the iPhone X with many Android phones.
    Besides being irritating to cherry pick the features of several phones against one phone, that leads to multiple strawman arguments.
    - Fact; the iPhone X does not equal all iPhones being sold by Apple today.
    - You don't like things (or possible problems) about the iPhone X; FaceID, the battery life, working in the cold, the green line, without a home button...; then the customer can get an iPhone 8 Plus.
    - You don't like other things; it's expensive, no headphone jack, more breakable iPhone; the customer can get an iPhone 7 Plus or 6S Plus.
    (And don't add another strawman that these are slow phones. Several iPhone models are fast compared with Android phones according to real world tests.)
    * The fact is that the iPhone customer has options with several different devices to choose from. And that demolishes most of your arguments.

2. Other Android vs iOS issues;
    "it has no back button..., they could have switched over to USB C..., iOS gives the user less control over their phone's interface"
    These are tech preferences. You care about that, which is your privilege but I don't.
    - What do I care about?
    - On Ars Technica even Android fans admit compared with iOS; the Android OS update system is a mess, security is inferior, and Google with its advertising model is weaker on privacy for users compared with Apple.
    That is often why things like cloud services are cheaper with Google because they are mining all your private data for ads.
    - Many Android users report the OS skins slowing down over time. Google Nexus/Pixel can fix some of these problems but in many ways the hardware of those phones is  inferior to iPhones.
    With my tech preferences; iOS is superior to Android. 

edited November 2017 Soliredgeminipamacky the mackywatto_cobrasmashcake
  • Reply 88 of 130
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    I've migrated from 7 Plus to X and have some real questions about the new design and how iOS manages it. In particular, I don't like that the display is narrower and taller.
    (1) The X aspect ratio is far from 16:9, which means 1080p content has to be displayed smaller or clipped (or both) as compared to using a Plus display.
    (2) On the home screen, a lot of space is wasted at the top. This is particularly noticeable when comparing a Plus and X side-by-side.  Space is available on the X for showing a complete status area, including BT headphone connectivity, VPN status and battery percentage. Even in iOS Mail, almost enough space is wasted at the top to show a complete status bar--so why doesn't Apple extend the message display area into that space?
    (3) Due to the narrower display of the X, text is often smaller and painful to read in Safari.
    (4) No one was ever concerned about breaking the aluminum shell of an iPhone 6/6s/7 by dropping. Aluminum is probably lighter than the glass backing of the X and 8 series, too. Yes, the antenna lines were unsightly, but that seems a small price to pay for a more rugged device. Those lines were judged good enough by Ive et al. for 3 generations of iPhone, but suddenly increased risk of breakage and higher insurance and repair costs are ok.

The way the X feels, Apple is definitely telegraphing that an X Plus form factor is in the works. I just hope it isn't released in the spring. And I hope the X Plus isn't priced above the X, which is already exorbitant, but instead the standard X's price is dropped.

cato1040
  • Reply 89 of 130
    thedbathedba Posts: 763member
    cato1040 said:
    @thedba unfortunately again demonstrates how some people prefer to ignore facts.

What facts am I ignoring? Your opinions that started this?

-Many real iPhone users (not all, but many)  struggle with FaceID. Apple probably could have put touchID on the back but didn't
    Really? Many? Do you have numbers to back this up?

-iPhones have never been known for fantastic battery life. At best, it's been good. Some Android phones have actual two day + battery life with average usage
    I am an average user and can go the full weekend with just one charge on my iPhone 7. So what’s your point again?

-the iPhone X has been called by many sites like CNET (not blogs and not Android biased ones) to be the most breakable iPhone ever 
    Old BS. They’ve just unearthed old talking points from the iPhone 4 days with glass back. Besides, don’t other phones ever break?

-the iPhone X stops working in the cold sometimes 
    As most electronics they all have minimum and maximum operating temperature ratings.

-iPhone X users have complained about how multitasking is slower without a home button
    Really? Where? Show us numbers or the study that says so.

-there is no headphone jack
    So what? Neither did iPhone7 from last year. But Apple didn’t just remove it and leave users out in the cold like Pixel 2.  They included an adapter and lightning EarPods. They also released AirPods with W1 chip. Much better experience and if you own other Apple devices work seamlessly with them. Their vision is of the future is wireless.

-Samsung put a button beneath their screen, something Apple probably could have done
    Samsung makes its design choices and Apple makes different ones. What’s your point?

-they could have switched over to USB C but (here is the opinion section starting) they probably wanted to keep lightning because proprietary jacks lead to more money, and jacks and dongles seem to be a big part of Apple's business 
    They could’ve and then the blogosphere would’ve exploded with comments on how Apple and only Apple changes standards so they can sell more dongles/adapters. What BS thinking since every quarter one can clearly see where Apple makes money from. 1) iPhone 2) Mac 3) iPad 4) services    Your dongle theory falls under some other category that doesn’t even move the needle on their finances.

Opinion:
    -Some iPhone users only think it's great because they haven't seen how far behind they are compared to the best Android phones

Educate us. Tell us something amazing that Android users do that iPhone users can’t. 

-It seems the author nitpicked a few complaints they could handle (though obviously couldn't) and ignored the ones they could not. There is a pretty clear iOS bias seen
    Welcome to Appleinsider and DED’s opinion pieces.

Did you want more facts or is this enough to show you that complaints are real and not just coming from Android diehards. I use Apple computers and tablets used because they last and I don't need the features their competitors offer (and if I do, I have Parallels) so I don't hate Apple. I'm not saying Android is objectively better for everyone (though for the money, I'd say it's best for most), but don't tell me that critics are all lying since 'the iPhone X is by far obviously the best phone in the world' is objectively not true for all. For a company that prides itself on being more glitch free, iPhone X has had a lot of them!
    Your facts, are actually your opinions.

paisleydiscoanantksundarammagman1979Rayz2016watto_cobraequality72521
  • Reply 90 of 130
    cpsro said:
    I've migrated from 7 Plus to X and have some real questions about the new design and how iOS manages it. In particular, I don't like that the display is narrower and taller.
    (1) The X aspect ratio is far from 16:9, which means 1080p content has to be displayed smaller or clipped (or both) as compared to using a Plus display.
    (2) On the home screen, a lot of space is wasted at the top. This is particularly noticeable when comparing a Plus and X side-by-side.  Space is available on the X for showing a complete status area, including BT headphone connectivity, VPN status and battery percentage. Even in iOS Mail, almost enough space is wasted at the top to show a complete status bar--so why doesn't Apple extend the message display area into that space?
    (3) Due to the narrower display of the X, text is often smaller and painful to read in Safari.
    (4) No one was ever concerned about breaking the aluminum shell of an iPhone 6/6s/7 by dropping. Aluminum is probably lighter than the glass backing of the X and 8 series, too. Yes, the antenna lines were unsightly, but that seems a small price to pay for a more rugged device. Those lines were judged good enough by Ive et al. for 3 generations of iPhone, but suddenly increased risk of breakage and higher insurance and repair costs are ok.

The way the X feels, Apple is definitely telegraphing that an X Plus form factor is in the works. I just hope it isn't released in the spring. And I hope the X Plus isn't priced above the X, which is already exorbitant, but instead the standard X's price is dropped.

1) The display isn't narrower. It's the same width as the iPhone category it's replacing. You choose to get the smaller device. It's a key reason why I'm not getting an iPhone X until there's a Plus version.

2) With more display for the footprint it would be nice if you could arrange the icons with a choice to pin to top or bottom and left of right, depending on your usage needs. I'm pretty sure I'd pin to bottom and right (which would make the last app being placed on a Home Screen go in the upper-left corner of the display).

3) You can't have inductive charging through aluminum and it looks like Liquid Metal has petered out like their hopes for Sapphire, and ceramic aren't yet a viable option in terms of scale and cost (with the last two also making the device heavier and thicker). You can say you don't want wireless charging, but I do, so I'm glad Apple is finally embracing it, as well as the Qi standard.

4) If you didn't want a smaller device or a device with a glass back, then why not keep your iPhone 7 Plus, especially when you've seen the rumours for a 6.7" iPhone X Plus? I'm keeping my iPhone 7 Plus.. and I want wireless charging.
  • Reply 91 of 130
    cato1040 said:
    [...] First of all, my posting was in response to the article which has in its title "Android fans but bitter bloggers still hating" so before saying that I'm the one who unnecessarily came in to start a fight, look at the title of the article (and the article itself). [...]
    First, an English lesson. You are misreading and/or misrepresenting the title of the article. It begins with "iPhone X impresses Windows executive, Android fans" -- this means "iPhone X impresses Windows executive and Android fans." It would be clearer if it were edited thus: "iPhone X impresses Windows executive and Android fans, but bitter bloggers still hating" -- but if you simply read the subtitle it is clear enough: "Apple's iPhone X is drawing compliments from some unlikely places, ranging from the official Twitter account of Steven Sinofsky, the former President of Microsoft's Windows Division, to diehard Android fans sharing their unvarnished opinions on Reddit. However, it can't please embittered bloggers who wanted Apple to fail."

The article is a counter-attack, aimed specifically at Jesus Diaz and Joanna Stern. It also makes fun of the poor track record of self-important tech bloggers in general. It does not attack "Android fans" as you suggest. Instead, it discusses a Reddit post titled "iPhone X review from a new iPhone owner and lifelong Android user" that is generally positive about iPhone X and especially complimentary about the Face ID feature.
    cato1040 said:
    [...] Almost all reviewers (not just bloggers) found FaceID to be imperfect. I prefer the option of both fingerprint and face unlocking, but if FaceID alone works for you, that's great. [...]
    Next, who are the "almost all reviewers" you mention? The Ars Technica writer who admits he hasn't actually tried Face ID? If you would cite even one of these mysterious "reviewers," then people could respond to you -- but you don't.
    cato1040 said:
    [...] Secondly, if you really want to shut me up, then prove me wrong! Only two people have given me actual responses. Others have made ad hominem attacks but don't seem to know why they disagree with me. [...]
    Actually, if you look at this thread, you'll find responses to "almost all" (heh heh) the things you list in your original post. It's just that they are not direct replies to you. For example, here is a response to your claim about battery life: Reply 12 (Soli). Here is another, about durability and the camera bump: Reply 15 (Seanismorris). I would add that you can't complain about the camera bump without acknowledging the increased capabilities of the camera itself. Speaking for myself, the main reason I upgrade my phone is to get a better camera. Here's another about the screen notch: Reply 25 (AnalogJack).

And so on. All of these responses came before your contribution. You'll also notice that the people (e.g., Ktappe) that are being responded to are not being called trolls -- it's respectful discussion by people who have taken the time and trouble to read the thread before they contribute. Unlike, apparently, you. You don't address any of the earlier comments.
    cato1040 said:
    [...] As a reminder to those reading, I did my first post because someone has asking about objective facts. [...]
    Instead, you misread and/or misrepresent [See the pattern here?] the comment you quote. In doing so, you actually prove his/her point. LOL

[Seriously, folks -- look at the original comment cato1040 is responding to -- I don't think it's possible to write a response that would more clearly illustrate what Userinceos1 is talking about!]
    edited November 2017 SoliStrangeDaysmagman1979watto_cobra
  • Reply 92 of 130
    As the saying goes, "Haterz gotta hate." However, actual consumers are voting with their wallets and they will turn the iPhone X into a successful, highly-bought product. I think that's where it really matters. Several anti-Apple internet blogs will be mostly ineffective in hurting iPhone sales.

It's unfortunate Apple had to use a glass back but that's a necessary compromise for those who were asking for capacitive charging. It's a shame Apple couldn't go with carbon fiber or plastic but those materials would still cause people to complain about either higher cost or non-premium feel or something. How can Apple greatly improve battery life when battery tech isn't improving all that much. A larger battery will cause consumers to complain that the iPhone is too thick or too heavy.

Any heavily-used portable device will drain the battery. I remember having an early Sony Watchman. Two hours of TV viewing would kill it dead. My original Sony Walkman would last about five hours of continuous playing depending on how smooth the tape ran through it. Older tapes could really drag and decrease battery life. I still enjoyed using those devices. The devices we have nowadays are light-years ahead of those early devices but yet people are complaining. A high-end smartphone is almost a miracle device and probably satisfies 95% of users. Nothing really to get bummed about from my point of view.

Apple is on the right track and those who are willing to drop $1000 on an iPhone X should definitely be seen as getting their money's worth, in my opinion. It might not be perfect, but then again, what device is perfect. No man-made device, I'm sure.
    edited November 2017 Solipaisleydiscowatto_cobra
  • Reply 93 of 130
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    Is there anything easier than writing a editorial for this site? It’s like Donald Trump at a campaign rally throwing red meat to his base. He knows what to give them and they eat it up every time.
    As usual @rogifan_new thanks for you excellent observations and valuable addition to the thread. 
    SoliStrangeDaysmagman1979Rayz2016watto_cobrasmashcake
  • Reply 94 of 130
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    Soli said:
    smashcake said:
    cato1040 said:
    Two points:

First, the Apple hater writers don't get paid to be right, they get paid to get hits.  So, from their perspective, being correct is irrelevant.

Second, now that we have arrived in the era of alternative facts, there isn't much of a need for objective truth, nor a way for people who are talking past each other to find out what the truth is.

Objective truths:
    -Many real iPhone users (not all, but many)  struggle with FaceID. Apple probably could have put touchID on the back but didn't
    -There is a camera bump
    -iPhones have never been known for fantastic battery life. At best, it's been good. Some Android phones have actual two day + battery life with average usage
    -the iPhone X has been called by many sites like CNET (not blogs and not Android biased ones) to be the most breakable iPhone ever 
    -the iPhone X stops working in the cold sometimes 
    -some iPhone Xs are getting the green line of death 
    -its screen is less bright than the top of the line Samsung phones'
    -it's expensive 
    -iPhone X users have complained about how multitasking is slower without a home button
    -there is no headphone jack
    -Samsung put a button beneath their screen, something Apple probably could have done
    -iOS gives the user less control over their phone's interface 
    -the iPhone X actually has a slightly lower screen to body ratio compared to the top of the line Samsung phones who'd don't have a notch or as rounded corners (which take away from screen real estate in videos) 
    -it has no open use of NFC
    -it has no back button (this isn't talked about as much, but this has been my complaint since the beginning. I don't want to look for a different way of going back in every app) 
    -they could have switched over to USB C but (here is the opinion section starting) they probably wanted to keep lightning because proprietary jacks lead to more money, and jacks and dongles seem to be a big part of Apple's business 

Opinion:
    -Some iPhone users only think it's great because they haven't seen how far behind they are compared to the best Android phones
    -It seems the author nitpicked a few complaints they could handle (though obviously couldn't) and ignored the ones they could not. There is a pretty clear iOS bias seen

Did you want more facts or is this enough to show you that complaints are real and not just coming from Android diehards. I use Apple computers and tablets used because they last and I don't need the features their competitors offer (and if I do, I have Parallels) so I don't hate Apple. I'm not saying Android is objectively better for everyone (though for the money, I'd say it's best for most), but don't tell me that critics are all lying since 'the iPhone X is by far obviously the best phone in the world' is objectively not true for all. For a company that prides itself on being more glitch free, iPhone X has had a lot of them!

To balance things out from my previous writing, I do appreciate Apple trying to catch up to what they've been missing, as them taking on wireless charging will make the world easier for us Android users who've had it for a while. I do also think that their phones have advantages to MacBook and iPad users (one of the main reasons I'd consider switching to iOS) though iCloud is prohibitively expensive and their port-less computers are causing me to consider switching away. As I'm writing this, I'm realizing that even this paragraph is backhanded, but my origin intent sincerely was not to be like this. Apple did a fantastic job when they introduced the iPhone. It was pretty objectively the best phone at the time. But they've started falling behind at the iPhone 4 and haven't seemed to be able to recover though most people enamoured by their marketing seem to miss this. 

And no, I'm not a blogger who's paid for my writing. Just a middle class tech lover who wants the best for my money and whose opinion may differ from yours (and who may also want to open the eyes of some iSheep who don't know what they're missing out on.)
    I tried switching my whole family to Android 2 years ago. Got two Nexus 6p's and 1 5x. Android was a breath of fresh air at that time since everything was brand new. Battery was okay but camera was amazing. Then I started noticing some issues. Most of my financial apps didn't even have finger print authentication (took them a year to add it) Apps were slow to launch and clunky as hell. Chrome browser would constantly stutter on different websites. I understood all of that might be get better with time. It didn't. Fast forward to Feb of 2017, both Nexus phones would die at 25-40% battery. Google blamed huawei, huawei blamed Google. Phone was still usable but insanely unreliable. Since the phone was being so crappy, I borrowed my dad's Nexus 5x while he went with a cheap moto 5 since the 5x was too slow for him. Nexus 5x started bootlooping. After a few more months of nonsense I couldnt take it anymore. Bought a couple iPhone SE's to hold us over until iPhone X launch. Best decision ever. 

Android might be ahead in hardware. They have always been and will remain behind in quality. 
    I see this from time to time, but I don't see where your rationale comes from. Is there an SoC more advanced than the A11? Is there an OLED in a phone that better quality than the iPhone X? Is there a face recognition that's faster and more secure than Face ID? Is there a build quality that's ahead of any iPhone? Whose logic boards are as tightly packed as the iPhone X?
    I assume based on his comments that Android has better hardware refers to more CPU cores, faster clock speeds, more RAM and more pixels.  The usual spec stuff that is all that matters to some. 
    SoliStrangeDaysmagman1979watto_cobra
  • Reply 95 of 130
    cato1040 said:
    Probably going to get a lot of flak for going political and off topic but that just makes this more fun (and hopefully more constructive). 
    I could take on your transparent, obvious stance, but I won't, and I urge others not to as well. This is not the place for that. AppleInsider used to have a political forum, but no longer. People come here to get away from that, not to wallow in it.

People's actual, real-world preferences in technology have little or nothing to do with politics. Yes, DED (the author of this article) is on the left, but this is not a political article.
    Solimagman1979watto_cobra
  • Reply 96 of 130
    Is there anything easier than writing a editorial for this site? It’s like Donald Trump at a campaign rally throwing red meat to his base. He knows what to give them and they eat it up every time.
    And yet, here you are, annoyed at people enjoying an editorial. Are you “concerned”?
    edited November 2017 anantksundarammagman1979Rayz2016watto_cobra
  • Reply 97 of 130
    avon b7 said:
    os2baba said:
    Face Id totally sucks compared to Touch Id. Especially the way Google's implemented it on their phones at the back. Apple nailed unlock on the 5s with Touch ID. Google improved the speed and detection and put it in the back. When I pull the phone out of my pocket, with my finger resting on the sensor, the phone's unlocked halfway through the motion to bring up the phone to view it. With Face Id, there is the half a second delay that just screws up the whole efficiency. Yeah. First world problem. But they took something better and replaced it with something inferior.

Yeah, my Pixel 2 XL screen totally sucks with the blue shift. But I'll take that over the notch. How it doesn't bother everyone is beyond me. Also, I'm not sure why, but the Pixel 2 XL is easier to see outside than the X. I thought that the X is brighter. But it isn't. 
    Personally, I have no problems with the notch and probably wouldn't with FaceID either, but I agree that my rear mounted fingerprint sensor unlocks my phone way faster than FaceID ever could simply because it's unlocked from the second I pick it up or take it out of my pocket.

From a purely unlocking perspective, FaceID offers me no advantage over TouchID. It's another way of performing the same action and technically less likely to see a false positive, but TouchID was already secure enough for me.
    Nope, it’s not about being more secure nor is it the same UX at all. With a visual bio authentication we get contextual computing — simply begin using the device without a thought to logging in. It will do things differently depending on who’s using it. For ex apps and websites auto load their stores credentials now without requiring any action on my part. 

Youd know this if you had or used iphones. 

Its no additional time to unlock because by the time you swipe up (pushing the home button in pre X days) the device has recognized you and unlocked. Your supposed speed advantage makes no useful practical difference because you still have to look at it before you can use it. It simply doesn’t matter that it’s already unlocked while you move it thru mid air up to look at it.  
    SoliRayz2016watto_cobra
  • Reply 98 of 130
    Soli said:

You should only get a new smartphone when the benefits outweigh the costs, but I will point out that there is an objective benefit to higher PPI for reading text on a small display, not just for watching movies on a large display. Maybe moving from 326 PPI to 458 PPI doesn't make a noticeable difference with your vision, but I can certainly tell that things are more crisp on the iPhone X, as well as it being brighter and having other benefits over the iPhone 7 series display. This goes for the iPhone 8 series in everything but an increase of PPI. There are also a few minor negatives to the iPhone X's display, but negatives nonetheless.
    I have good vision. It’s definitey a better display. Black is black, it just pops. 
    Solipaisleydiscomagman1979watto_cobra
  • Reply 99 of 130
    smalmsmalm Posts: 677member
    as if Apple is just too good and desperately needs to be stopped by the people who couldn't manage to keep Motorola in business.
    That was a little bit cruel...  B)
    Soliwatto_cobraocelotwreak
  • Reply 100 of 130
    Objective "truths":
    -Many real iPhone users (not all, but many)  struggle with FaceID. Apple probably could have put touchID on the back but didn't - most don't, most absolutely adore it, it works perfectly for me, but picking and choosing "real iPhone users" could conclude things like "people hate free money!", so this is far, far far from a truth.

-There is a camera bump - subjective, but true

-iPhones have never been known for fantastic battery life. At best, it's been good. Some Android phones have actual two day + battery life with average usage - link?  can find links that say this and the exact opposite, so, no, not a "truth"

-the iPhone X has been called by many sites like CNET (not blogs and not Android biased ones) to be the most breakable iPhone ever  - once again, the first video I watched on youtube proved it to be tougher than an 8, still subjective, so survey gets the X on this "truth"

-the iPhone X stops working in the cold sometimes  - since any/all Apple experience is treated like a fish bowl, apparently a hand full of folks experienced this, the good thing is, Apple has acknowledged it, which means it will be patched, like WPA-2, before most of this country gets very cold

-some iPhone Xs are getting the green line of death  - well, it's well known Samsung makes the displays and IMHO overcharges Apple, so this really is Samsung's fault, no?  also, an ultra-ultra rare issue, barely worth noting, unlike say a Note 7 and it's explosiveness no?

-its screen is less bright than the top of the line Samsung phones' - odd, one of the most respected, scientific testers of displays said it's the best display ever made?

-it's expensive  - so is the Note 8 and the Pixel 2XL

-iPhone X users have complained about how multitasking is slower without a home button - see "people hate free money" in your first "truth"

-there is no headphone jack - Are we talking about the Pixel2?  have you seen the schematics for samsung's 9 line?  get an SE

-Samsung put a button beneath their screen, something Apple probably could have done - 1,000% subjective, you crack me up

-iOS gives the user less control over their phone's interface - do I need to link up the word "truth" from Websters here?  OPINION

-the iPhone X actually has a slightly lower screen to body ratio compared to the top of the line Samsung phones who'd don't have a notch or as rounded corners (which take away from screen real estate in videos) - now I'm just getting tired of your desperate attempts

-it has no open use of NFC - Apple fans appreciate and respect the security of our devices, and not allowing control to those who should not have it

-it has no back button (this isn't talked about as much, but this has been my complaint since the beginning. I don't want to look for a different way of going back in every app)  - see the answer above about a button beneath,

-they could have switched over to USB C but (here is the opinion section starting) they probably wanted to keep lightning because proprietary jacks lead to more money, and jacks and dongles seem to be a big part of Apple's business - if you weren't so desperate and jaded you'd contemplate for even a second that USB C is bigger, takes more space, and is impractical, Lightning has been the standard for years, E for effort.
    StrangeDaysbrucemcwatto_cobra