Robbers smash into Apple's flagship UK store in lightning raid

Posted:
in General Discussion
Ten robbers on five mopeds broke into Apple's Regent Street store in London early Monday morning, using one of the scooters to smash through the store's glass facade.

Image Credit: Vantagenews.com
Image Credit: Vantagenews.com

A pair of security guards tried to stop them, but were threatened with hammers, according to the London Evening Standard. With lookouts stationed outside, the robbers were in the store for less than three minutes and took iPhones, iPads, and Apple Watches.

Police were called at 12:42 a.m., and later found two iPhone X units near Kings Cross as well as a moped left in the store. No one has been arrested to date, but detectives are said to be scanning CCTV footage and calling for witnesses. London has been suffering from a rash of similar moped raids.

Despite the break-in, Apple Regent Street is now operating as usual.

Apple has dealt with a number of smash-and-grabs in recent years. Its stores can be an easy target, given high-cost electronics on open display, and the company's preference for glass facades. Only some locations have bollards and/or retractable security gates.

The iPhone X may be especially tempting in light of its scarcity and $999 base pricetag. Earlier this month, thieves stole 313 iPhone X units from a San Francisco delivery truck in the middle of the day.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 90
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,905member
    Why not Apple remotely just brick the stolen iPhones, iPads's IMEI ? Apple did activation locked, bricked my iPad because I don't have original seller's appleid/password or receipt.
  • Reply 2 of 90
    wood1208 said:
    Why not Apple remotely just brick the stolen iPhones, iPads's IMEI ? Apple did activation locked, bricked my iPad because I don't have original seller's appleid/password or receipt.

Maybe they did.  If so, they should probably make a point of getting this mentioned in every story though.  "Apple Store Raiders Foiled by Tech" would be a better headline to deter future thefts.

jbdragonSpamSandwichGeorgeBMacracerhomiechiadysamoriawatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 3 of 90
    The real crime here is the price of the iPhone X

dysamoriasaltyzip
  • Reply 4 of 90
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    The demo units should have a remote kill switch that can’t be disabled. Or perhaps only function when GPS says they are near the store. There should be an easy way to make these less desirable. 
    radarthekatschlackjony0
  • Reply 5 of 90
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    I've heard they brick themselves as soon as they leave the store. I doubt they're stealing them for themselves though. Most likely, they end up on eBay or a pawn shop where they'll get $1000+ for it and then they can go buy their own iPhone X. 
    edited November 2017
  • Reply 6 of 90
    Too bad the UK can’t arm their security guards like the U.S.  The robbery would be over quickly if they would have pulled out a hammer against them.
    jbdragonTomEracerhomieboltsfan17watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 90
    I wonder why the Brits refer to scooters as mopeds?  American readers think of mopeds as underpowered 49cc motorcycles that can also be pedaled (and haven't had any real presence on our roads since the 80's).  The vehicles used in these raids are the size and weight of "real" motorcycles.  I expect a traditional moped would have a hard time breaking through a glass wall.
    wreighvenradarthekattokyojimupscooter63jony0
  • Reply 8 of 90
    wood1208 said:
    They do but people can still sell the parts. It really isn’t worth it, I’d imagine, but a if someone is desperate they just see glass and something that can lead to money. 
  • Reply 9 of 90
    I wonder why the Brits refer to scooters as mopeds?  American readers think of mopeds as underpowered 49cc motorcycles that can also be pedaled (and haven't had any real presence on our roads since the 80's).  The vehicles used in these raids are the size and weight of "real" motorcycles.  I expect a traditional moped would have a hard time breaking through a glass wall.
    Thanks for clearing that up (seriously).  I was imagining the scene from The Dark Knight Rises where Bane's gang rode up to the bank, stole some stuff / caused havoc, and then rode out. But they were on itty bitty mopeds.  It was quite funny in my head...
    randominternetperson
  • Reply 10 of 90
    Samsung would love for a gang to break into their stores, but no one seems to care :(  sniff sniff
    edited November 2017 jbdragoncalioneof52GeorgeBMacchiaviclauyycwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 11 of 90
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,243member
    Maybe it’s time to rethink the glass wall concept. For a company that touts the security of it’s devices, it seems to ignore the security of the store fronts. 
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 12 of 90
    UK has crime even after banning guns?? What a surprise!!
    UK should consider banning automobiles next cause clearly that’s what is causing these crime. If there were no automobiles these crimes would never happen.
    edited November 2017 bloggerblogracerhomie
  • Reply 13 of 90
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    UK has crime even after banning guns?? What a surprise!!
    UK should consider banning automobiles next cause clearly that’s what is causing these crime. If there were no automobiles these crimes would never happen.
    Yeah, but during the robbery, fifty people weren’t shot dead. 
    macxpresstrashman69dewmeSolimuthuk_vanalingambanchocreek0512dsk1retrogustooneof52
  • Reply 14 of 90
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    jd_in_sb said:
    The demo units should have a remote kill switch that can’t be disabled. Or perhaps only function when GPS says they are near the store. There should be an easy way to make these less desirable. 
    Robbers don't care whether or not the device is locked. They'll just sell it for money which is most likely what ends up with most of these. Its the buyer who gets screwed in the end, unless it gets traced back to the seller somehow. 
    dysamoria
  • Reply 15 of 90
    hexclock said:
    Maybe it’s time to rethink the glass wall concept. For a company that touts the security of it’s devices, it seems to ignore the security of the store fronts. 
    Apple stores are designed to merge the outside with the inside to improve the quality of their customer's experience. Their stores should never cater to thieves. Shoppers are not in danger, the thieves are only interested in the goods, it's to their disadvantage to harm anyone since a more intensive criminal investigation will pursue with a harsher punishment.
    macxpresschiaStrangeDayspscooter63
  • Reply 16 of 90
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    I've always seen them as mostly synonymous term, but if one sounded less powerful than another I'd say that's scooter, which is a horrible nickname for some people and a term used to move a very short distance. Scooters don't even have to be motorized, but a moped, on the other hand, mentions a motor and  a pedal in its name.
    ronn
  • Reply 17 of 90
    What Apple will do is file a claim with the insurance and forget about it. There will be no lobbying of the government to arm security guards or build to build impenetrable facades to protect a pile of electronics. I am sure the security guards are not paid enough to risk there lives in attempting to protect electronic hardware.
    banchorandominternetpersonretrogustochiadysamoriaStrangeDays
  • Reply 18 of 90
    NY1822NY1822 Posts: 621member
    Samsung would love for a gang to break into their stores, but no one seems to care :(  sniff sniff
    rumor is they leave the doors unlocked and a plate of cookies and milk
    retrogustoGeorgeBMacchialostkiwimac_dogbloggerblog
  • Reply 19 of 90
    Speed1050Speed1050 Posts: 22unconfirmed, member
    Just to confuse things, we say scooters for 125cc (or thereabouts) and mopeds for 49cc whether they have pedals or not - I don't know why.

Moped crime (whether with or without pedals) is almost non-existent, scooter crime is out of control.  Can't imagine the average journo on here cares a jot about the difference though. 
    edited November 2017 randominternetperson
  • Reply 20 of 90
    Too bad the UK can’t arm their security guards like the U.S.  The robbery would be over quickly if they would have pulled out a hammer against them.
    The only things more guns would bring is more gun violence.
    SoliGeorgeBMacchiaclarusdogcowlostkiwidysamoriaKenster999ronn