Video: One week using Apple's iPhone X vs. iPhone 8 Plus

Comments

• Reply 21 of 51
     I don’t feel that the iPhone X’s “ears” need to be utilized for anything other than the date, battery, and network connections. I think it gives the screen a cleaner look if the display  appears to start from just below the notch. Extending apps up into the ears of the display only accentuates the cut out.
    edited November 2017
  • Reply 22 of 51
    cpsro said:
    rols said:
    cpsro said:

Lastly, you can swipe app cards up, just like you do on other iPhones to kill apps, except it does nothing on the X.  That's maybe a sign that the current behavior is a bug that will soon kill apps like it should.

It's not a bug. It would be far too easy to accidentally swipe up enought when you're trying to swipe apps across and close one by mistake when fast switching. That's why you have to hold first until you're in 'app closing mode' with the red X and only then does the swipe up kill the apps. This isn't going to change. 
    Have you used an X? Because you can swipe up to reveal the app cards and, if you don't hold on the cards, the minus signs don't appear. But you can still then swipe the cards up and they disappear (every app if you wish, until no more cards are shown), but the apps aren't actually killed and if you leave the card view and come back, the app cards are all still there and in the same order.  That's totally unexpected, because swiping up on every other iOS device kills the app.  Unexpected behavior => BUG

Furthermore, I don't believe I've ever accidentally killed an app while merely trying to switch. On the X, swiping into card mode doesn't let the user swipe a card up in the same motion--it's necessary to lift the finger from the display. In other words, accidentally killing is still very difficult. And accidentally killing beyond the first app would be ridiculously difficult.
    Yeah... I've been using the X since launch day, and what you're saying is NOT how it performs. As soon as you swipe up on an app in the app switcher, it takes you back to the home screen. It does NOT take any of them out of the switcher. They do NOT disappear, and you can NOT swipe on more than one before being taken back to the home screen. This is NOT a bug, it's a re-think of the UI due to the need to swipe up from the bottom to get to the home screen. 

You're making a lot of stink over nothing. This is the new UI. If you don't like it, you have options. It's not often any of us really NEED to kill an app. This isn't Android. As mentioned in the video, maybe GPS or similar, but if you're too lazy to hit pause on a music app, or in control center, instead of quitting it, you're doing it wrong. 

If you think because something doesn't work as YOU expect it to is a "BUG," you really need to learn the difference. Unexpected behavior does not equate to being a bug. If you experience something that happens NOT by design, as in swiping up to go home opens an app, or turns on the flashlight, or shuts down the phone, THAT would be a bug. 
    edited November 2017 Rayz2016StrangeDays
  • Reply 23 of 51
    Too bad they couldn’t be bothered to transcribe this into a written article.  I would have read that. Maybe when I’m really bored, I’ll come back and watch this video.  

And get off my lawn!
  • Reply 24 of 51
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Now we know iPhone X was a 2018 iPhone release but whatever reasons(Wall Street pressure or 10th anniversary of iPhone), the iPhoxe X is a reality with full screen, Face ID, Apple now boxed itself into this design philosophy for the 2018 iPhones release. If the iPhone X becomes runaway train than Apple will convert all iPhones to FaceID. If total sells are balanced between iPhone 8 / Plus and X than next year we will have same iPhone 8S / Plus as current. It will be mess of expectations and what Apple will do for 2018 iPhone release. I love swipe up to Home screen on X, should be on every iPhones.
  • Reply 25 of 51
    Ok, 

others have told you this, but many people prefer to read rather than watch your irritating videos.  I won’t watch them. Many people have expressed dislike of your new video format. 

So, if it is all about the clicks.  I won’t click unless there is a transcript!

randominternetpersonStrangeDaysben201STnTENDERBITS
  • Reply 26 of 51
    wood1208 said:
    Now we know iPhone X was a 2018 iPhone release but whatever reasons(Wall Street pressure or 10th anniversary of iPhone), the iPhoxe X is a reality with full screen, Face ID, Apple now boxed itself into this design philosophy for the 2018 iPhones release. If the iPhone X becomes runaway train than Apple will convert all iPhones to FaceID. If total sells are balanced between iPhone 8 / Plus and X than next year we will have same iPhone 8S / Plus as current. It will be mess of expectations and what Apple will do for 2018 iPhone release. I love swipe up to Home screen on X, should be on every iPhones.

Nah, Apple is on the X train, period.  High sales of the 8 and 8+ relative to the X would (if that turns out to be the case) be attributed to the price premium of the X (or people waiting for the kinks to get worked out of the new platform).  Presumably they will keep selling the 8 and 8+, but I wouldn't bet money on an 8S or 8S+.
  • Reply 27 of 51
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    A week into my iPhones X  I ditched the official Apple folio case. As nice as it is it has a fatal flaw: Hey Siri is disabled when the case is closed. I like to use Hey Siri when my iPhone is on the nightstand wirelessly charging. Having  to keep the lit flapped open while charging was a pain. 
    randominternetperson
  • Reply 28 of 51
    There are benchmarks and specs -- and then there are actual use cases that may differ between the iPhone 8 Plus and iPhone X. AppleInsider has spent over a week with the iPhone X now, and here's what we think about it, versus the iPhone 8 Plus.

Is DED going to post a rant about AppleInsider using "the definite article" in front of iPhone in this (and most other) AI post? /s
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 29 of 51
    That was a good honest review. Another thing I noticed is that if you have lots of pages of Apps and are on the last page, the home button would take you back to the first page on prior models. There isn't a way to do that with the X other than flipping through the pages. It's a minor nuisance, but still a loss of functionality.
  • Reply 30 of 51
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    I was playing around with the iPhone X in the store and it's a nice looking phone. It felt great in the hand. I like the over all size of it. Since iOS11 runs good enough on my iPhone 6, I'll use it for a 4th year and get the second generation of this phone. This gives more time for app's to get updated to that screen. Any flaws to be fixed on the next phone. I think a second generation Apple GPU will be a big leap.

Next year, will Apple release this later of the other phones? I don't think so. I think all will launch at the same time. The number of units for launch will be higher. I think that will be the time to upgrade.
  • Reply 31 of 51
    Refreshing to see a well balanced, honest review! Very useful info. Thanks! So much better compared to the iPropaganda I read on this website sometimes. 
    What is propaganda on this website? How is that possible since this website isn't run by Apple?

No, what I think you're referring to is apple-positive content that you don't like to read.
  • Reply 32 of 51

jdw said:
    I am extremely pleased to see that AppleInsider published this video even though Max boldly expressed his displeasure about the notch — a sentiment I strongly share. 
    Do you have an X? What about the notch in actual usage is problematic for you?
  • Reply 33 of 51

rols said:
    cpsro said:

Lastly, you can swipe app cards up, just like you do on other iPhones to kill apps, except it does nothing on the X.  That's maybe a sign that the current behavior is a bug that will soon kill apps like it should.

It's not a bug. It would be far too easy to accidentally swipe up enought when you're trying to swipe apps across and close one by mistake when fast switching. That's why you have to hold first until you're in 'app closing mode' with the red X and only then does the swipe up kill the apps. This isn't going to change. 
    I've actually done this (accidentally killed apps) even on the much larger iPad while attempting to switch to another app.
  • Reply 34 of 51
    appleluvr said:
    That was a good honest review. Another thing I noticed is that if you have lots of pages of Apps and are on the last page, the home button would take you back to the first page on prior models. There isn't a way to do that with the X other than flipping through the pages. It's a minor nuisance, but still a loss of functionality.
    Nope. Just swipe up. Like the home button before it, swiping up on the home bar will fly you to the first page.
    edited November 2017
  • Reply 35 of 51
    appleluvr said:

Good point.  I use that short cut all the time.  Is there really no X equivalent?

Edit: Never mind. StrangeDays answered it.

edited November 2017
  • Reply 36 of 51
    Great balanced review of the X, at last. Apple should be sued for telling is 5.8 is larger than 5.5. The only thing missing on the 8+ is the stabilized telephoto. Bummer.
  • Reply 37 of 51
    appleluvr said:
    Nope. Just swipe up. Like the home button before it, swiping up on the home bar will fly you to the first page.
    Awesome, thanks. 

I take it back, and now I like my X that much more.
  • Reply 38 of 51
    toysandme said:
    Great balanced review of the X, at last. Apple should be sued for telling is 5.8 is larger than 5.5. The only thing missing on the 8+ is the stabilized telephoto. Bummer.

I don't get the joke.  Isn't 5.8" (the X screen) bigger than 5.5" (the 8-plus screen)?
  • Reply 39 of 51
    toysandme said:

I don't get the joke.  Isn't 5.8" (the X screen) bigger than 5.5" (the 8-plus screen)?

iPhone 8 Plus:
    5.5" from corner to corner
    3.07 by 6.24 inches
    19.157 square inches

iPhone X:
    5.8" from corner to corner
    2.79 by 5.65 inches
    15.764 square inches (also, don't forget the notch)

iPhone 8:
    4.7" from corner to corner
    2.65 by 5.45 inches
    14.44 square inches

In terms of square inches, iPhone X's screen is much more comparable to the 4.7" iPhone 8. 

Don't forget that the iPhone X suffers from a longer aspect ratio. And since most video content is in 16:9,
    you'll be seeing even less of the screen being used unless it crops in and cuts the top and bottom off. 
    edited November 2017 1STnTENDERBITSmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 40 of 51
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    For me, the biggest advantage of the X is:   As a runner I ALWAYS carry my phone for safety and security reasons.  But, like the reviewer I like the bigger screen of the Plus.  But, the Plus is harder to carry while running.  I can do it -- but its bulky (removing its case helps).
    ...  So that would be a big reason for me to go to the X:  a bigger screen in a smaller form factor.

But, getting an Apple Watch with LTE would solve the problem of carrying a phone with me.
    But, there are two problems with that:
    1)  My carrier does not yet support the AW with LTE (they don't seem to even know it exists!)
    2)  My favorite exercise app only runs on the phone and interfaces with the watch.  Until they update it to run natively on the Watch, I would still have to carry my phone anyway.

So, it looks like I'm in a holding pattern till the rest of the world catches up to Apple.