6.5-inch iPhone X, 6.1-inch LCD iPhone in the works for late 2018 launch

Posted:
in iPhone edited June 2020
Apple is said to have three new iPhone models in the pipeline for a late 2018 launch, two of which will be the company's biggest handsets ever, crossing the six-inch threshold with new edge-to-edge OLED and traditional LCD models.

Analyst Ming-Chi Kuo of KGI Securities issued a note to investors on Monday, a copy of which was obtained by AppleInsider, revealing that Apple has a 6.5-inch OLED iPhone on tap for launch in the second half of 2018. This handset would presumably serve as a sort of "iPhone X Plus," taking the general size of a Plus-sized iPhone and adding an edge-to-edge OLED display.

But Apple is also working on a new LCD model with a large 6.1-inch display, according to Kuo. He believes that this model will be targeted toward the low-end and mid-range smartphone markets.

This new model will "differ significantly" from the OLED models, boasting a lower-resolution display to achieve a price point between $650 and $750. But it's likely that this model will feature Face ID and advanced cameras to replace Touch ID, according to Kuo.

He also believes that Apple will greatly reduce the bezels on this LCD model, thanks to the elimination of Touch ID.

These two handsets will be flanked by a next-generation iPhone X, he said, featuring the same 5.8-inch edge-to-edge OLED display as the recently released model. With three new handsets apparently in the works for late 2018, the analyst predicts that Apple will see a "super-cycle" of sales, aided by the fact that the company's supply chain will be better suited to handle manufacturing of the new technologies introduced in the iPhone X.

Word of a 6.5-inch iPhone arriving next year first surfaced back in September. Around the same time, Kuo himself reported that all iPhones set to launch in fall of 2018 will ditch Touch ID for Face ID, allowing a swift removal of the physical home button.

At present, the iPhone 8 boasts a 4.7-inch screen, the iPhone 8 Plus is 5.5 inches, and the OLED iPhone X has a 5.8-inch screen.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 87
    Way to bury the source. Mr 50% accuracy at it again.
    tallest skilcaliwatto_cobratechconc
  • Reply 2 of 87
    And by "bury the source" you mean put his name in the second sentence of the story?
    mike1king editor the grateslprescottclarusdogcowtmaynapoleon_phoneapartrhinotuffdoozydozen80s_Apple_GuyStrangeDays
  • Reply 3 of 87
    wigbywigby Posts: 692member
    Would you prefer his name in the headlines?
    king editor the gratenapoleon_phoneapartdoozydozenjurassiccornchipredgeminipa
  • Reply 4 of 87
    wigbywigby Posts: 692member
    "He believes that this model will be targeted toward the low-end and mid-range smartphone markets."

I don't think Kuo understands the price points in the mid and low end smartphone markets. Even before Apple shifted the high end smartphone market to +$1000, $650 and $750 were not mid or lower priced smartphones.
    retrogustobaconstangdoozydozencornchipmuthuk_vanalingamredgeminipajony0
  • Reply 5 of 87
    jvmbjvmb Posts: 59member
    It it looks like watches are replacing phones, phones are replacing regular iPads, and pro iPads are replacing MacBooks. 

Since I wear jeans and I don’t carry a hand bag, I hope they will keep making iPhone 5 sized phones. With an end to end display like the iPhone X, that would make the screen big enough. I guess I’ll have to get used to wearing watches though. 
    fotoformatGeorgeBMacretrogustobaconstangktapperaoulduke42doozydozenjust cruisincornchip[Deleted User]
  • Reply 6 of 87
    Wish they would do a smaller 5" screen version, not a fan of these huge phones. Form factor somewhere between SE and 8 would be so nice.
    retrogustocrossladharry wildnetroxraoulduke42mattinozjust cruisincornchippscooter63[Deleted User]
  • Reply 7 of 87
    jvmb said:
     I guess I’ll have to get used to wearing watches though. 
    It's a mad, mad, mad world.
    fastasleepcornchip[Deleted User]
  • Reply 8 of 87
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Even if there will be three, something of which I’m not so sure of, the mock-ups shown at the top of the article are off. What was done was mostly to enlarge the current X. That’s a big mistake, because the “notch” at the top is bigger as well. That’s highly unlikely. The notch should be the same size no matter what the size of the phone, giving more screen at the sides and more screen below, because the depth of the notch will also be the same depth.

right now, the notch takes 2% of the screen area, in a larger phone, that will be even less, making it less noticeable. So I would ignore those mock-ups.
    randominternetpersonmacseekermacpluspluspujones1calidoozydozenSpamSandwichjurassiccornchippscooter63
  • Reply 9 of 87
    nhughes said:
    And by "bury the source" you mean put his name in the second sentence of the story?
    I think he would have preferred the title be

Delusion: 6.5-inch iPhone X, 6.1-inch LCD iPhone in the works for late 2018 launch

:p 
    gregg thurmandoozydozencornchippscooter63muthuk_vanalingam[Deleted User]
  • Reply 10 of 87
    They should call the new ones iPhone 11 and reference ‘Spinal Tap’:
    “Nigel Tufnel: The numbers all go to eleven. Look, right across the board, eleven, eleven, eleven and... 
    Marty DiBergi: Oh, I see. And most amps go up to ten? 
    Nigel Tufnel: Exactly. 
    Marty DiBergi: Does that mean it's louder? Is it any louder? 
    Nigel Tufnel: Well, it's one louder, isn't it? It's not ten. You see, most blokes, you know, will be playing at ten. You're on ten here, all the way up, all the way up, all the way up, you're on ten on your guitar. Where can you go from there? Where? 
    Marty DiBergi: I don't know. 
    Nigel Tufnel: Nowhere. Exactly. What we do is, if we need that extra push over the cliff, you know what we do? 
    Marty DiBergi: Put it up to eleven. 
    Nigel Tufnel: Eleven. Exactly. One louder. 
    Marty DiBergi: Why don't you just make ten louder and make ten be the top number and make that a little louder? 
    Nigel Tufnel: [pause] These go to eleven.”

Yup 11
    randominternetpersonh2pbaconstanganantksundaramdoozydozencornchipmuthuk_vanalingam[Deleted User]SnickersMagoo
  • Reply 11 of 87
    There is no way the TFT LCD will not have a chin (as represented in the mock-up). It can be cut for the notch, but it can't be bent around itself to hide the display controller at the bottom.
    doozydozen
  • Reply 12 of 87
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Everyone says he is always off, let see the stats. Give the list of his predictions and which ones he got right and which one which were wrong, I think if you did the tally he would be better than 50% accurate.
    edited November 2017 napoleon_phoneapartdoozydozen
  • Reply 13 of 87
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    I think Ming has sources in Samsung he always has better details about the displays than anything else.
  • Reply 14 of 87
    jvmb said:
    It it looks like watches are replacing phones, phones are replacing regular iPads, and pro iPads are replacing MacBooks. 

Since I wear jeans and I don’t carry a hand bag, I hope they will keep making iPhone 5 sized phones. With an end to end display like the iPhone X, that would make the screen big enough. I guess I’ll have to get used to wearing watches though. 
    I feel your pain... I have a 5S and recently bought the Apple Watch 3 (non-LTE) which I now refer to far more often than the iPhone in my jeans pocket.

Being a stock photographer I always carry a camera... and having a 'wearable' which tells me everything from messages to health, plus calls without a phone in my pocket, is certainly what I hope for in a few years time.
    doozydozen
  • Reply 15 of 87
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    Nope!  I'm not buying it:
    That limits the new phones to forcing people to choose between either a high-end X upgrade or a large screen.   To many people like the 6, 7 & 8 sized phones to force them up into ultra-premium to get one.  

Plus, it's time for an SE update.  THAT should be more interesting than anything else -- there are so many ways to go there -- particularly if/when Apple propagates FaceId throughout its line up.

Another interesting thing to watch is what happens to the iPad Mini.  For many uses its the perfect size.  But, like the SE, its internals are getting further and further out of date.
    retrogustoharry wildbaconstangh2praoulduke42doozydozen[Deleted User]
  • Reply 16 of 87
    Nope!  I'm not buying it:
    That limits the new phones to forcing people to choose between either a high-end X upgrade or a large screen.   To many people like the 6, 7 & 8 sized phones to force them up into ultra-premium to get one.  

Plus, it's time for an SE update.  THAT should be more interesting than anything else -- there are so many ways to go there -- particularly if/when Apple propagates FaceId throughout its line up.

Another interesting thing to watch is what happens to the iPad Mini.  For many uses its the perfect size.  But, like the SE, its internals are getting further and further out of date.
    SE update is expected next spring. It won't have an edge-to-edge display — it will be a budget model.
    GeorgeBMacharry wildh2pdoozydozencornchippscooter63
  • Reply 17 of 87
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    I thought the math came out to 6.7" for an iPhone X Plus that is the same number of points wide as the iPhone 8 Plus.

edit: According to my own calculations converting to a 1:2.17 aspect ratio while keeping the width the same as the Plus comes out to 6.45". That also looks like a resolution of 1620 × 3510 if I multiply everything by 1.5. However, it appears that the iPhone X isn't exactly the same width the 4.7" iPhones—it looks like it might 0.13" wider, which would throw off my size calculations.
    edited November 2017 doozydozen
  • Reply 18 of 87
    I definitely would love to have an iPhone the size of the Plus model but all display like the iPhone X. 
    doozydozenwainertoni
  • Reply 19 of 87
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,311member
    A 6.5 inch X would have the intended effect of gobbling up even more of Samsung's OLED production. Hard to imagine companies building out any proper OLED products without the benchmark OLED that Samsung provides to itself and Apple.

doozydozenmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 20 of 87
    I definitely would love to have an iPhone the size of the Plus model but all display like the iPhone X. 
    I thought this was the exact reason apple would make a 6.5 inch screen, or greater, to replace the plus models
    PickUrPoison