Robbers smash into Apple's flagship UK store in lightning raid

Comments

• Reply 21 of 90
    Soli said:
    I wonder why the Brits refer to scooters as mopeds?  American readers think of mopeds as underpowered 49cc motorcycles that can also be pedaled (and haven't had any real presence on our roads since the 80's).  The vehicles used in these raids are the size and weight of "real" motorcycles.  I expect a traditional moped would have a hard time breaking through a glass wall.
    I've always seen them as mostly synonymous term, but if one sounded less powerful than another I'd say that's scooter, which is a horrible nickname for some people and a term used to move a very short distance. Scooters don't even have to be motorized, but a moped, on the other hand, mentions a motor and  a pedal in its name.

Agreed about "scooter" being a silly name for "a motorcycle with a pass-through frame and an automatic transmission."

Moped: 

Scooter:

Scooter:

Scooter:

edited November 2017 Solilostkiwidysamoriaronnpscooter63
  • Reply 22 of 90

Two of the Xs , were recovered from somewhere around Kings Cross apparently 

They opened the store as normal though , good on them 

Scooter crime has been on the up though . Recently a group of them trying to get away , were blocked by a lorry pulling up in front and blocking them from leaving , after they robbed a place in Fitzrovia , which was pretty funny ngl
    Solidysamoriaronn
  • Reply 23 of 90
    What I want to know is...who volunteered to be the first one to drive through plate glass?
    randominternetpersonGeorgeBMacdysamoriapscooter63
  • Reply 24 of 90
    dsk1 said:

Two of the Xs , were recovered from somewhere around Kings Cross apparently 

They opened the store as normal though , good on them 

Scooter crime has been on the up though . Recently a group of them trying to get away , were blocked by a lorry pulling up in front and blocking them from leaving , after they robbed a place in Fitzrovia , which was pretty funny ngl

Can I assume that these scooter gangs steal their scooters?  Otherwise these guys will be easy to catch since they left one behind.
    dysamoriachiaronn
  • Reply 25 of 90
    If Apple can brick the devices, the thieves might actually lose money on this deal, because they abandoned their motorized two-wheeled vehicle. 

What I don’t understand is why people aren’t calling “electric bicycles” mopeds, because they’re basically the same thing, but running on electricity instead of gasoline. The result of this is that people seem to think it’s ok to tear around on “electric bicycles” in lots of places where it is obviously inappropriate, like bike lanes and crowded New York sidewalks. 
    randominternetperson
  • Reply 26 of 90
    creek0512 said:
    Too bad the UK can’t arm their security guards like the U.S.  The robbery would be over quickly if they would have pulled out a hammer against them.
    The only things more guns would bring is more gun violence.
    So we’re the security guards supposed to pull out their hammers to defend themselves?  Hammers can be used as a deadly object too.  Just like knives, swords, cars and mopeds. 
  • Reply 27 of 90
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    I wonder why the Brits refer to scooters as mopeds?  American readers think of mopeds as underpowered 49cc motorcycles that can also be pedaled (and haven't had any real presence on our roads since the 80's).  The vehicles used in these raids are the size and weight of "real" motorcycles.  I expect a traditional moped would have a hard time breaking through a glass wall.

You refer to motorcycles as scooters?!

To me scooters are those toys kids get at Christmas. The criminals leaving in scooters is even funnier.
    [Deleted User]
  • Reply 28 of 90
    kkqd1337 said:
    The real crime here is the price of the iPhone X

You know, I used to agree with the idea that the price of iPhones these days was a crime. But I'm realizing this is simply supply and demand. The range of prices that iPhones are sold at these days is vast, so if someone doesn't want to shell out 1k for the X, that's fine, you can still get a lower end model. I would say Apple has an opportunity to make their customers "happy" by lowering prices, but that's not going to increase sales (since they're already tapped out anyway). The only thing lowering the price of the iPhone will do is piss off shareholders. In the case of the iPhone X, I actually think they may not be charging enough (since they literally can't be purchased without some sacrifice).
    edited November 2017
  • Reply 29 of 90
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Too bad the UK can’t arm their security guards like the U.S.  The robbery would be over quickly if they would have pulled out a hammer against them.

Yes, because what the situation needs is an armed rentacop shooting in what he hopes is the general direction of the criminals. 

In the UK, we actually worry about innocent bystanders. 

edited November 2017 singularityGeorgeBMacchiaclarusdogcowlostkiwidysamoriakiltedgreenmac_dogronndachar
  • Reply 30 of 90
    cali said:

To me scooters are those toys kids get at Christmas. The criminals leaving in scooters is even funnier.

See above.  In the US "scooter" means everything from kiddy toys to a certain style of motorcycle.
  • Reply 31 of 90
    creek0512 said:
    The only things more guns would bring is more gun violence.
    So we’re the security guards supposed to pull out their hammers to defend themselves?  Hammers can be used as a deadly object too.  Just like knives, swords, cars and mopeds. 

I would love to see security guards with swords.  That would be classy.
  • Reply 32 of 90
    kkqd1337 said:

https://www.gucci.com/us/en/pr/women/womens-handbags/womens-shoulder-bags/ophidia-gg-medium-shoulder-bag-p-503876K05NG8745?position=1&listName=Handbags_US&categoryPath=Women/Womens-Handbags Prices can be based on branding whether a consumer thinks a product is worth it or not. I don't think it's a crime unless someone is actually forced to buy it.
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 33 of 90
    sure they will use the devices serial numbers to track them all down as soon as they emerge online...thus being able to take down the whole logistics pipeline.
  • Reply 34 of 90
    Rayz2016 said:

Yes, because what the situation needs is an armed rentacop shooting in what he hopes is the general direction of the criminals. 

In in the UK, we actually worry about innocent bystanders. 

Actually the security guards were chased/attacked

i guess folks like to keep their security vulnerable 
  • Reply 35 of 90
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    Except here the security guards would have been mowed down with an AR15's as soon as they showed up.
    dysamoriaronnsingularity
  • Reply 36 of 90
    cali said:

I learned to ride a Motorcycle in '69 on what we call a Scooter. It was an LI 150 Lambretta. Made in Italy and is basically a 'step through' motorcycle with the engine driving the real wheel without a typical chain/belt or shaft drive of a Motorcyle.
    In the 1960's, the Rockers rode Motorcycles and Mods rode scooters. Many Mods were fans of 'The Who'.

The push 'scooter' is essentially a childs toy.

randominternetperson
  • Reply 37 of 90
    Actually, they seem to be coming back here.   I see them more and more.   They never seemed particularly safe to me with those little, tiny wheels.  I can't imagine that they would do well in a pothole.

But to use one to not only rob a store -- but to break through a plate glass window?!?!?!?!?
  • Reply 38 of 90
    kkqd1337 said:

No crime if people want to pay the much.  No one is holding a gun to their heads.
    GeorgeBMacchiakiltedgreen
  • Reply 39 of 90
    NY1822 said:
    Samsung would love for a gang to break into their stores, but no one seems to care :(  sniff sniff
    rumor is they leave the doors unlocked and a plate of cookies and milk
    Reminds me of the story of the New Orleans Saints when they first started.  They were so bad nobody wanted to go to games.  

So one day somebody left their car windows down and 2 Saints tickets on the dashboard.   When they came back there were 6 tickets on the dashboard!
    randominternetpersontokyojimu
  • Reply 40 of 90
    Speed1050 said:
    Just to confuse things, we say scooters for 125cc (or thereabouts) and mopeds for 49cc whether they have pedals or not - I don't know why.

Moped crime (whether with or without pedals) is almost non-existent, scooter crime is out of control.  Can't imagine the average journo on here cares a jot about the difference though. 
    I had a 125cc Yamaha 45 years ago -- it's top end was a whole lot higher than mine was.  Somewhere above 75mph...