6.5-inch iPhone X, 6.1-inch LCD iPhone in the works for late 2018 launch

Comments

• Reply 21 of 87
    nhughes said:
    SE update is expected next spring. It won't have an edge-to-edge display — it will be a budget model.
    What’s this based on? I haven’t seen a single rumor yet.
  • Reply 22 of 87
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    melgross said:
    Even if there will be three, something of which I’m not so sure of, the mock-ups shown at the top of the article are off. What was done was mostly to enlarge the current X. That’s a big mistake, because the “notch” at the top is bigger as well. That’s highly unlikely. The notch should be the same size no matter what the size of the phone, giving more screen at the sides and more screen below, because the depth of the notch will also be the same depth.

right now, the notch takes 2% of the screen area, in a larger phone, that will be even less, making it less noticeable. So I would ignore those mock-ups.
    Good point.

I also think the LCD mockup is wishful thinking. The ultra-fine resolution curves in the display corners and around the notch in the iPhone X are only possible due to the flexible OLED screen. They can't do that with LCD. So the FaceID + LCD phone will have a thin full-width bezel at the top (to house earpiece speaker, camera, and FaceID components), and 90 degree corners to the display.

I also really hope the predicted size of the LCD phone is wrong, and that it will be smaller. Or that there will be two, with the second one smaller.
    baconstangdoozydozen
  • Reply 23 of 87
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    nhughes said:
    Nope!  I'm not buying it:
    That limits the new phones to forcing people to choose between either a high-end X upgrade or a large screen.   To many people like the 6, 7 & 8 sized phones to force them up into ultra-premium to get one.  

Plus, it's time for an SE update.  THAT should be more interesting than anything else -- there are so many ways to go there -- particularly if/when Apple propagates FaceId throughout its line up.

Another interesting thing to watch is what happens to the iPad Mini.  For many uses its the perfect size.  But, like the SE, its internals are getting further and further out of date.
    SE update is expected next spring. It won't have an edge-to-edge display — it will be a budget model.
    Thanks!  that gives me yet another configuration to consider:
    - an SE for music in the car -- particularly if I upgrade to an Apple Play 'radio'.
    - an iPad at home
    - an Apple Watch with LTE for exercise.

And, amazingly, I could get all three for about the price of an X.
    [Deleted User]
  • Reply 24 of 87
    Eric_WVGG said:
    nhughes said:

Well you saw at least one--you quoted it.
    Eric_WVGGcalimuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 25 of 87
    I can't see the reasoning for the 6.1 inch LCD screen, am I the only one who is thinking this?
  • Reply 26 of 87
    nhughes said:
    That limits the new phones to forcing people to choose between either a high-end X upgrade or a large screen.   To many people like the 6, 7 & 8 sized phones to force them up into ultra-premium to get one.  

Plus, it's time for an SE update.  THAT should be more interesting than anything else -- there are so many ways to go there -- particularly if/when Apple propagates FaceId throughout its line up.

Another interesting thing to watch is what happens to the iPad Mini.  For many uses its the perfect size.  But, like the SE, its internals are getting further and further out of date.
    Tim Cook said that all future iPhone will have the X interface!  That means no home button. I think the current 4" to become the  future  5.2" model will have the look of the X display!  I would be willing to pay $1,000 or more if Apple made the 5.2" iPhone with the same components as the current X inside.
    edited November 2017 doozydozen
  • Reply 27 of 87
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    LukeCage said:
    I can't see the reasoning for the 6.1 inch LCD screen, am I the only one who is thinking this?
    I don't get it either.
  • Reply 28 of 87
    Eric_WVGG said:
    nhughes said:
    http://appleinsider.com/articles/17/08/04/apple-said-to-be-targeting-march-quarter-2018-launch-for-second-gen-iphone-se
    Eric_WVGGdoozydozenGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 29 of 87
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    I definitely would love to have an iPhone the size of the Plus model but all display like the iPhone X. 
    Exactly! We might have broken our every other year iPhone buying plan this year if they had. But truthfully, the X is having teething pains, because so much of it is new to Apple, that waiting until next year is likely a better bet anyway.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 30 of 87

nhughes said:

Thanks!  that gives me yet another configuration to consider:
    - an SE for music in the car -- particularly if I upgrade to an Apple Play 'radio'.
    - an iPad at home
    - an Apple Watch with LTE for exercise.

And, amazingly, I could get all three for about the price of an X.
    I wish you could easily switch between multiple phones while wearing an Apple Watch, but unfortunately the watch only pairs/syncs to one phone at a time. I could see myself switching between an SE and a bigger model depending on use cases, but my reliance on the watch makes that almost impossible.
    randominternetpersonGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 31 of 87

nhughes said:

Tim Cook said that all future iPhone will have the X interface!  That means no home button. I think the current 4" to become the  future  5.2" model will have the look of the X display!  I would be willing to pay $1,000 or more if Apple made the 5.2" iPhone with the same components as the current X inside.
    The home button won't disappear completely anytime soon. Apple will continue to sell devices like the SE and legacy models for people who prefer it. The same reason they still sell the 6s with headphone jack, and the MacBook Air with full-size USB ports.
    randominternetpersonbaconstangdoozydozenGeorgeBMacpatchythepirate
  • Reply 32 of 87
    nhughes said:

That might be tough because of the need to shrink components is either impossible or comes with a cost. Even if they can get all the components in there, what will the notch look like on an SE model if we assume the iPhone X's notch components are already as compact as possible right now. Even if they can shrink it a bit it might still be smaller "ears" for the relative size of the display text. Since the text is smaller would the height of the notch be an issue with their current UX guidelines for app developers?
    doozydozen
  • Reply 33 of 87
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    He’s just predicting common sense he’s no wizard or anything.

Logically Apple will sell a larger display which will be humongous because of lack of bezels.

what I would like to see in 2017:

Smaller notch
    Twice as many Dots in the projector
    InVisage Technology for better AR/FaceID

An iPhone Plus sized display
    An SE sized display

Eric_WVGG said:
    nhughes said:

Release patterns. A new SE is due this coming Spring or holiday 2018. 
    I’ve been wanting an iPhone 6 style SE for years.

An iPhone X style SE would be even better but harder to pull off unless Apple plans to release SE in holiday 2018.

Heck they can make it the size and feel of the original iPhone with the same screen size of the 5.
    THAT would be interested because a lot of people liked both the screen of iPhone 5 but the smaller feel and fit of small iPhones. 

melgross said:
    I definitely would love to have an iPhone the size of the Plus model but all display like the iPhone X. 
    Exactly! We might have broken our every other year iPhone buying plan this year if they had. But truthfully, the X is having teething pains, because so much of it is new to Apple, that waiting until next year is likely a better bet anyway.

No reason to wait the iPhone X has a larger display than the Plus models TODAY!
  • Reply 34 of 87
    melgross said:
    No, it doesn't, and I know you fucking know this.
    edited November 2017 spliff monkeyentropysdoozydozenmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 35 of 87
    cali said:

Logically Apple will sell a larger display which will be humongous because of lack of bezels.

Smaller notch

Why do you care how many dots are invisibly projected onto your face?  Talk about a weird specification fetish.
    baconstangStrangeDays[Deleted User]
  • Reply 36 of 87
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Hala Lu Ya!! Apple covering all bases and firing at all competitors. Apple while pushing upper end iPhone, don't forget iPhone 8 frame size with faceid and edge to edge screen. And drop iPhone SE or make it edge to edge. Home button,say good bye..
    edited November 2017
  • Reply 37 of 87
    LukeCage said:
    I thought this was the exact reason apple would make a 6.5 inch screen, or greater, to replace the plus models
    or replace the iPad Mini plus LTE at a higher price point
  • Reply 38 of 87
    damn, hope they release an updated iPhone SE at the same time. can't believe the 5.8" screen will become the small iPhone option.
    baconstangdoozydozen[Deleted User]
  • Reply 39 of 87
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    cali said:

Smaller notch

An SE sized display

Eric_WVGG said:
    nhughes said:

An iPhone X style SE would be even better but harder to pull off unless Apple plans to release SE in holiday 2018.

Heck they can make it the size and feel of the original iPhone with the same screen size of the 5.
    THAT would be interested because a lot of people liked both the screen of iPhone 5 but the smaller feel and fit of small iPhones. 

melgross said:

No, it doesn’t. The display is longer, but a lot narrower. Go to a store and see for yourself. There’s a major difference in the size of the keyboard, and many keyboard features the + models have when in horizontal mode aren’t in the X model. You’re just repeating the same nonsense some others are by looking at the (unintentional by Apple) deceptive 5.8” number rather than the 5.5” number.

we see the same thing with 10.5” Android tablets vs the 9.7” iPads. The Android tablet screen sounds larger, but area wise, it’s a lot smaller because of the 16:9 ratio rather than the iPad’s 3:2 ratio.
    edited November 2017 doozydozenpscooter63
  • Reply 40 of 87
    cali said:

Smaller notch

An SE sized display

Eric_WVGG said:
    nhughes said:

melgross said:

Minor correction. 8 Plus display is slightly larger than iPhone X in terms of logical resolution.
    doozydozen