Robbers smash into Apple's flagship UK store in lightning raid

Comments

• Reply 41 of 90
    Too bad the UK can’t arm their security guards like the U.S.  The robbery would be over quickly if they would have pulled out a hammer against them.
    Except here the security guards would have been mowed down with an AR15's as soon as they showed up.
    Assault rifles are banned in the U.K, correct?  Don’t know if you all or Y’all like we say down here comprehend what I stated earlier.  I said arm the security guardes or police and not the perpetrators.
  • Reply 42 of 90
    Too bad the UK can’t arm their security guards like the U.S.  The robbery would be over quickly if they would have pulled out a hammer against them.
    Except here the security guards would have been mowed down with an AR15's as soon as they showed up.
    Assault rifles are banned in the U.K, correct?  Don’t know if you all or Y’all like we say down here comprehend what I stated earlier.  I said arm the security guardes or police and not the perpetrators.
    Owning an Assault Rifle as a private owner is impossible here in the UK. Owning anything other than a .22 Air Rifle/Pistol and a Shotgun is very difficult.
    You will see armed police on the streets of London. They are armed with something akin to assault rifles.
    There is little risk of getting shot here. This wasn't the case in the past as the people of Dunblane and Hungerford will testify.

dysamoriaronnsingularity
  • Reply 43 of 90
    Rayz2016 said:

Yes, because what the situation needs is an armed rentacop shooting in what he hopes is the general direction of the criminals. 

In the UK, we actually worry about innocent bystanders. 

Armed security guards do have to go through training so it's not like you would be arming some person who has no clue how to use a gun. 
  • Reply 44 of 90
    Owning an Assault Rifle as a private owner is impossible here in the UK. Owning anything other than a .22 Air Rifle/Pistol and a Shotgun is very difficult.
    You will see armed police on the streets of London. They are armed with something akin to assault rifles.
    There is little risk of getting shot here. This wasn't the case in the past as the people of Dunblane and Hungerford will testify.

I think you omitted the word "legally" from each of your first two sentences.
  • Reply 45 of 90

You can own AR15 style rifles in the UK. Most gun manufactures such as Smith & Wesson make .22 versions of the AR15 sold here in the states. 
  • Reply 46 of 90
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    "Here" in the U.S. the perpetrators could easily outgun your security guards because we like to arm our criminals with military style assault weapons.
    dysamoriamac_dogronn
  • Reply 47 of 90
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    Rayz2016 said:

Yes, because what the situation needs is an armed rentacop shooting in what he hopes is the general direction of the criminals. 

In the UK, we actually worry about innocent bystanders. 

Armed security guards do have to go through training so it's not like you would be arming some person who has no clue how to use a gun. 
    ROFL...
    dysamoriaronnsingularity
  • Reply 48 of 90
    sreesree Posts: 152member
    Soli said:
    I wonder why the Brits refer to scooters as mopeds?  American readers think of mopeds as underpowered 49cc motorcycles that can also be pedaled (and haven't had any real presence on our roads since the 80's).  The vehicles used in these raids are the size and weight of "real" motorcycles.  I expect a traditional moped would have a hard time breaking through a glass wall.
    I've always seen them as mostly synonymous term, but if one sounded less powerful than another I'd say that's scooter, which is a horrible nickname for some people and a term used to move a very short distance. Scooters don't even have to be motorized, but a moped, on the other hand, mentions a motor and  a pedal in its name.

Agreed about "scooter" being a silly name for "a motorcycle with a pass-through frame and an automatic transmission."

Moped: 

Scooter:

Scooter:

Scooter:

The nomenclature has some history.

two-wheels with a chain being a cycle, add a motor to the chain and remove the pedals and it becomes a motorcycle. 

Mopeds were motorised cycles with pedals to use as a cycle incase you ran out of gas. They rarely has gas tanks larger than 2-3ltrs anyway.

Scooters work with a different mechanism. they don't have a chain. The motor is directly attached to the rear wheel. So, the principle is very different. Also, this means that the motor in a scooter is under the back seat directly connected to the rear wheel (petrol tank is usually located at the same place), while in a motorbike it is under the petrol tank at the front. 

They are different things, speaking as an engineer.
    dysamoriaronn
  • Reply 49 of 90
    "Here" in the U.S. the perpetrators could easily outgun your security guards because we like to arm our criminals with military style assault weapons.
    The guns you can buy here are nothing like military weapons. An AR15 is no different than a semi auto .22 hunting rifle. You obviously can't buy the assault weapons the military uses. 
  • Reply 50 of 90
    The only Smash and Grab at the Microsoft Store is the game.
  • Reply 51 of 90
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    I see the female copper in the photo has helped herself to an iPad and Apple Pencil in order to take notes ;)
  • Reply 52 of 90
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    I love the predictability of American gun nuts declaring this situation (outside their own country) would be improved with firearms, and then get all equivocal about other objects used as weapons, as if the fact that being able to use a hammer or other object as a weapon justifies firearms everywhere... including places outside the USA that have reduced death by firearms to a huge degree by removing firearms, resulting in greatly reduced mass murder events...
    tokyojimuchiaronndacharsingularityGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 53 of 90
    hexclock said:
    Maybe it’s time to rethink the glass wall concept. For a company that touts the security of it’s devices, it seems to ignore the security of the store fronts. 
    I’m sure they’ve done a cost benefit analysis. Profits don’t seem too shabby. It’s factored in I expect.
    ronn
  • Reply 54 of 90
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    Why isn't the stock locked away in a secure room. One that the security guards have no access to?
    mac_dog
  • Reply 55 of 90
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    dysamoria said:
    I love the predictability of American gun nuts declaring this situation (outside their own country) would be improved with firearms, and then get all equivocal about other objects used as weapons, as if the fact that being able to use a hammer or other object as a weapon justifies firearms everywhere... including places outside the USA that have reduced death by firearms to a huge degree by removing firearms, resulting in greatly reduced mass murder events…
    If 96% of firearm related homicides and over 99% of all massacres were committed by women you know that we'd have laws on the books that would prevent women from using firearms, restricting them from occupations that use firearms, and all justified by the notion of their menstrual cycle and that women are too prone to letting their emotions cause them to make rash decisions. They wouldn't have any problem saying that restricting on who can use firearms aren't good for the safety of Americans.
    chiaronnsingularity
  • Reply 56 of 90
    dysamoria said:
    I love the predictability of American gun nuts declaring this situation (outside their own country) would be improved with firearms, and then get all equivocal about other objects used as weapons, as if the fact that being able to use a hammer or other object as a weapon justifies firearms everywhere... including places outside the USA that have reduced death by firearms to a huge degree by removing firearms, resulting in greatly reduced mass murder events...
    Exactly. Having Americans making suggestions about gun laws and the ways weapons are used in other countries just makes the rest of the world’s citizens shake their heads in disbelief. 
    mac_dogchiaronndacharsingularityGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 57 of 90
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,069member
    macxpress said:
    jd_in_sb said:
    The demo units should have a remote kill switch that can’t be disabled. Or perhaps only function when GPS says they are near the store. There should be an easy way to make these less desirable. 
    Robbers don't care whether or not the device is locked. They'll just sell it for money which is most likely what ends up with most of these. Its the buyer who gets screwed in the end, unless it gets traced back to the seller somehow. 
    If enough people get screwed, the demand for these phones will drop off & the market will dry up. 
  • Reply 58 of 90
    These are also sometimes referred to as scooters:

• Reply 59 of 90
    wood1208 said:
    Why not Apple remotely just brick the stolen iPhones, iPads's IMEI ? Apple did activation locked, bricked my iPad because I don't have original seller's appleid/password or receipt.
    Because European regulations are different than US in telecommunication? I heard already reply: "IMEI is not supposed to be used for disabling people's phones". So this might be extending to phones that are not sold yet. There are also strict laws for this kind of operations and probably require some legal paperwork. Who knows?
  • Reply 60 of 90
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,069member
    Soli said:
    dysamoria said:
    I love the predictability of American gun nuts declaring this situation (outside their own country) would be improved with firearms, and then get all equivocal about other objects used as weapons, as if the fact that being able to use a hammer or other object as a weapon justifies firearms everywhere... including places outside the USA that have reduced death by firearms to a huge degree by removing firearms, resulting in greatly reduced mass murder events…
    If 96% of firearm related homicides and over 99% of all massacres were committed by women you know that we'd have laws on the books that would prevent women from using firearms, restricting them from occupations that use firearms, and all justified by the notion of their menstrual cycle and that women are too prone to letting their emotions cause them to make rash decisions. They wouldn't have any problem saying that restricting on who can use firearms aren't good for the safety of Americans.
    Well…that and prayer. 
    Soli