Vietnamese firm trips up iPhone X's Face ID with elaborate mask & makeup

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 89
    lkrupp said:
    In practice Bkav-style masks are unlikely to pose a threat, since they would not only be difficult and expensive to make, but require the dimensions of a person's face and detailed imagery.
    This harkens back to when TouchID was first introduced. A couple of German hackers claimed they were able to defeat TouchID by lifting fingerprints. Then it turned out that they had to use a really expensive, high resolution printer and sophisticated techniques that would preclude any casual hacking. You would have to be a high value target to make it worthwhile.

exactly. they used perfect conditions with a clear freshly made print of the owners finger etc. that would never happen in real life on a phone you just happened to have snatched from someone. just pick up a random friends phone and try to lift a perfect print. and then wash your hands afterwards cause that phone was probably nasty AF
  • Reply 82 of 89
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    So, how do they plan to get my iPhone X and a 3D scan of my face and have enough time with my phone to be able to print this mask?
  • Reply 83 of 89
    Mask? How about flat face photo in 1:1 scale?
  • Reply 84 of 89
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,350member
    How about flat face photo in 1:1 scale?
    That certainly worked on one of Apple's competitors. I'd like to see how someone fairs with FaceID under objective scrutiny. 

Otherwise, like Harry Houdini said— 'It's all a trick.'
  • Reply 85 of 89
    mtbnut said:
    Bkav just got the most publicity it will ever get, ever. That's a big win for them, regardless of how idiotic this is. Where were they when Samsung released its crappy version of FaceID? 
    step 1, print photo
    step 2, hold photo in front of phone

I don't think anyone really wants to take credit for how easy it is to spoof. 
  • Reply 86 of 89
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    adm1 said:
    mtbnut said:
    Bkav just got the most publicity it will ever get, ever. That's a big win for them, regardless of how idiotic this is. Where were they when Samsung released its crappy version of FaceID? 
    step 1, print photo
    step 2, hold photo in front of phone

I don't think anyone really wants to take credit for how easy it is to spoof. 
    I'm certain it will not be tricked by a flat photo.
  • Reply 87 of 89
    Hi all there said it is trick, fake, look for attention. Seriously, what is on your mind?

You love Iphone, yes, me too, i use Iphone for years. But we must understand this is technical world today, convenience but also risky to the security as well as our privacy. That Bkav are making us a real notification of something may harm our users, that is true. That may push up Apple serves us better. Thus,  we should respect those Bkav work. Dont stay there and accept for everything other tell you. Small steps make bigger target.
  • Reply 88 of 89
    sergioz said:
    It's FAKE come on guys!!!  :D
    Face ID isn't activated... can't see the lock symbol animation working properly.
    100% publicity stunt buy Bkav Corp to garner some attention.
    Looks like app overlay or most likely video overlay.
    Not sure what he is doing with his left hand and why screen lights up before he even touches it?
    Have you ever really used FaceID? If not, no comment. If yes, learn to use it again before make the post.