6.5-inch iPhone X, 6.1-inch LCD iPhone in the works for late 2018 launch

Comments

• Reply 41 of 87
    ktappektappe Posts: 824member
    jvmb said:
    Since I wear jeans and I don’t carry a hand bag, I hope they will keep making iPhone 5 sized phones. 
    Agree. I want smaller not bigger, so it's dismaying they're not releasing a 5.8" LCD model. That's the size I want, just not with the OLED burn-in, battery usage, and price. (I also don't care about FaceID but apparently that's gonna be there no matter what.)

baconstangdoozydozen
  • Reply 42 of 87
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    I bet there will NOT be a 5.8” and 6.1” at the same time. In fact, I don’t believe in 6.1” at all. 
    edited November 2017 [Deleted User]
  • Reply 43 of 87
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    But then the Notch will be so big for that 5.2”.
  • Reply 44 of 87
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    The mockups aside (for the reasons mentioned earlier in the thread w.r.t. "edge-to-edge" really only possible with OLED - we think...:), the rumour should not be dismissed out of hand.  Keeping an LCD display on a "new" model, to allow expanded supply of new phones (due to expected still tight supply for quality OLED panels) makes sense.  OLED panel prices are likely to remain elevated.  Allows a new phone to hit that lower, premium point Apple hits now with iPhone 8/8+.

With the information that the 8+ is outselling the 4.7" 8, there is also a logic to focus on the larger size.  With the second year of the iPhone X models (and possible larger one), even more demand is expected for the X's, so why make the two models of LCD - ditch the 4.7" size.

Why 6.1"?  As noted in the article, without the home button it could be possible to make the LCD screen a little bigger in that "plus size" chassis.  Certainly a way to shake things up a bit but still have an LCD in the lineup with the size that is becoming the most popular.

There would still be the 8 series, and 7 series, and possibly an updated SE, to round out the line.

And based on some analysts I follow, the bet is that Ming has sources (or at least information) out of Foxconn that he pays for, and is why he has a reasonable accuracy around new products which comes out of there (but not s/w).  The timing might be off, and the whole controversies of struggling between A & B made up, but overall he is more accurate than most with features of new phones.
    pscooter63PickUrPoisonmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 45 of 87
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,356member
    In related news... Apple to announce release of Smart Murse Cover and Smart Murse Case, available in five colors, silicone, standard leather, and Louis Vuitton "Edition" models available for its giant new phones.   ;)

Eric_WVGG
  • Reply 46 of 87
    fallenjt said:
    I bet there will NOT be a 5.8” and 6.1” at the same time. In fact, I don’t believe in 6.1” at all. 

Enlarging the 4.7" to the 6.1" size (by keeping the resolution the same: ~ 326 ppi) does not make sense. Thus 6.1" must have a higher resolution to approach or match the 8 Plus content.

• Reply 47 of 87
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    fallenjt said:

Enlarging the 4.7" to the 6.1" size (by keeping the resolution the same: ~ 326 ppi) does not make sense. Thus 6.1" must have a higher resolution to approach or match the 8 Plus content.

You’re mixing resolution with total pixels. I wish people would understand that resolution is ppi, not total pixels. The 6.1 would have a lower resolution than the 8+, but the same number of pixels total.
  • Reply 48 of 87
    GG1GG1 Posts: 483member
    nhughes said:
    Nope!  I'm not buying it:
    That limits the new phones to forcing people to choose between either a high-end X upgrade or a large screen.   To many people like the 6, 7 & 8 sized phones to force them up into ultra-premium to get one.  

Plus, it's time for an SE update.  THAT should be more interesting than anything else -- there are so many ways to go there -- particularly if/when Apple propagates FaceId throughout its line up.

Another interesting thing to watch is what happens to the iPad Mini.  For many uses its the perfect size.  But, like the SE, its internals are getting further and further out of date.
    SE update is expected next spring. It won't have an edge-to-edge display — it will be a budget model.
    Tim Cook said that all future iPhone will have the X interface!  That means no home button. I think the current 4" to become the  future  5.2" model will have the look of the X display!  I would be willing to pay $1,000 or more if Apple made the 5.2" iPhone with the same components as the current X inside.
    So you're waiting for the iPhone SE X model...
  • Reply 49 of 87
    nhughes said:

nhughes said:
    That limits the new phones to forcing people to choose between either a high-end X upgrade or a large screen.   To many people like the 6, 7 & 8 sized phones to force them up into ultra-premium to get one.  

Plus, it's time for an SE update.  THAT should be more interesting than anything else -- there are so many ways to go there -- particularly if/when Apple propagates FaceId throughout its line up.

Another interesting thing to watch is what happens to the iPad Mini.  For many uses its the perfect size.  But, like the SE, its internals are getting further and further out of date.
    SE update is expected next spring. It won't have an edge-to-edge display — it will be a budget model.
    Tim Cook said that all future iPhone will have the X interface!  That means no home button. I think the current 4" to become the  future  5.2" model will have the look of the X display!  I would be willing to pay $1,000 or more if Apple made the 5.2" iPhone with the same components as the current X inside.
    The home button won't disappear completely anytime soon. Apple will continue to sell devices like the SE and legacy models for people who prefer it. The same reason they still sell the 6s with headphone jack, and the MacBook Air with full-size USB ports.
    you will see the current SE disappear soon, as committed demand for that form factor dissipates.   It may be a 'nice' format, but it won't be maintained.

Given that it's screen size the odd one out (320 points), I'm guessing, it will not be replaced.  The 6s will be priced at that (approx) price point, when the SE is retired. and then every year (maybe 2 depending on the bluetooth headphone adoption), they will walk up the line to the 7, 8, over the next 2 years, when the 11X( and Plus?) and 12X come out.   Effectively no new LCD phones, best case is the 8 model will get new chip upgrade when the 12x comes out to parallel the current Aseries chip

To lower developer and app package sizes, Apple can't support  every point/pixel combination.  My guess is they will standardize on 375ptx8129(/667)pt and 414pt/1080P width phones.

• Reply 50 of 87
    melgross said:
    fallenjt said:

You’re mixing resolution with total pixels. I wish people would understand that resolution is ppi, not total pixels. The 6.1 would have a lower resolution than the 8+, but the same number of pixels total.
    Resolution is the number of horizontal and vertical pixels, density is the PPI.  A screen with 1080p resolution will have 1920 x 1080 pixels no matter what its size.  It doesn't matter if it is a 10" tablet or a 65" TV it will have the same 2,073,600 pixels.

If the rumored 6.1" LCD has the same pixel density of 326 as the iPhone 8 then it will have a higher resolution.  Assuming the same aspect ratio as the iPhone X, the screen on the 6.1" LCD would have a resolution of approximately 1,805 x 835 compared to the iPhone 8 of 1,334 x 750.
    edited November 2017
  • Reply 51 of 87
    nhughes said:

nhughes said:

The home button won't disappear completely anytime soon. Apple will continue to sell devices like the SE and legacy models for people who prefer it. The same reason they still sell the 6s with headphone jack, and the MacBook Air with full-size USB ports.
    you will see the current SE disappear soon, as committed demand for that form factor dissipates.   It may be a 'nice' format, but it won't be maintained.

Given that it's screen size the odd one out (320 points), I'm guessing, it will not be replaced.  The 6s will be priced at that (approx) price point, when the SE is retired. and then every year (maybe 2 depending on the bluetooth headphone adoption), they will walk up the line to the 7, 8, over the next 2 years, when the 11X( and Plus?) and 12X come out.   Effectively no new LCD phones, best case is the 8 model will get new chip upgrade when the 12x comes out to parallel the current Aseries chip

To lower developer and app package sizes, Apple can't support  every point/pixel combination.  My guess is they will standardize on 375ptx8129(/667)pt and 414pt/1080P width phones.

Hard to say. Apple had low expectations for the SE and then demand outstripped supply. It took them months to catch up to demand.

I don't think the SE size will ever get a flagship-level of redesign, no (much to my chagrin), but I think the form factor might stick around longer than you expect.

Consider: Apple continued to sell a MacBook Pro with spinning disc drive until last year. The home button, the smaller display, and the headphone jack may be headed out the door, but these things don't happen overnight. It takes time to get consumers to come around to a new way of doing things, and Apple (quietly) knows this. I suspect the 6s and the SE will be around for a bit longer. I wouldn't even be surprised if the 6s gets rebranded/renamed and updated with a newer CPU next year for those who want a home button and headphone jack.

The rumors say a new SE coming next spring. Aside from a processor bump (does it get the A10 or the A11?), a 3D Touch display would be a logical upgrade. Beyond that, and a slightly improved camera, I wouldn't expect much. They're not going to give it a redesign and make it more attractive than the iPhone 8.
    SoliEric_WVGGpscooter63
  • Reply 52 of 87
    melgross said:
    fallenjt said:

OK that is possible but that is what doesn't make sense. The width in points must be closer or the same of a Plus, so that it can fit more content horizontally than a 4.7". If it displays the same content horizontally as a 4.7" then there is already 5.8" iPhone X, an 6.1" is pointless. If it displays more content horizontally than a 4.7" (and 5.8" iPhone X), then that makes a little more sense, that would place it somewhere between the regular 4.7" and the Plus. Without the exact physical dimensions it is easy to get lost with similar triangles.
    edited November 2017
  • Reply 53 of 87
    maestro64 said:
    Way to bury the source. Mr 50% accuracy at it again.
    Everyone says he is always off, let see the stats. Give the list of his predictions and which ones he got right and which one which were wrong, I think if you did the tally he would be better than 50% accurate.
    I only know of one journalist who tracked the predictions of the Apple analysts, Phillip Elmer DeWitt. Don't know if he still does this or not, but AI could really bolster the credibility of the site by giving each analyst an score, let's just call it the "Analyst Safeguard Score" for the sake of argument. A permanent page devoted to their individual accuracy would provide readers with a quick and easy way to determine which analysts should be dismissed as complete jokes and which should be viewed as having some measure of credibility. I never considered the analyst honorifics bestowed on them by their own press releases as carrying any weight.
    edited November 2017 GG1
  • Reply 54 of 87
    cali said:
    He’s just predicting common sense he’s no wizard or anything.

Logically Apple will sell a larger display which will be humongous because of lack of bezels.

what I would like to see in 2017:

Smaller notch
    Twice as many Dots in the projector
    InVisage Technology for better AR/FaceID

Why do you care how many dots are invisibly projected onto your face?  Talk about a weird specification fetish.
    Just saw on "The New Screen Savers" podcast the host Megan Morrone being viewed in slo-mo video through an infrared camera while using Face ID. It's interesting. The "dots" are more like a grid projected onto the face in extremely rapid fashion.
    cali
  • Reply 55 of 87
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    cali said:

Logically Apple will sell a larger display which will be humongous because of lack of bezels.

Smaller notch

Why do you care how many dots are invisibly projected onto your face?  Talk about a weird specification fetish.

When people with ZERO creativity trash your comment.

Yeah I want invisible dots for no reason and Apple added invisible dots for absolutely no reason other than some fetish they had. /s

cali said:

Smaller notch

Just saw on "The New Screen Savers" podcast the host Megan Morrone being viewed in slo-mo video through an infrared camera while using Face ID. It's interesting. The "dots" are more like a grid projected onto the face in extremely rapid fashion.

It’s really cool to see and it’s obviously a first gen product. I see Apple doubling the dots for better recognition and AR and increasing the range accuracy. TwinGate may be out the door. 

melgross said:
    cali said:

Smaller notch

An iPhone Plus sized display
    An SE sized display

Eric_WVGG said:
    nhughes said:
    What’s this based on? I haven’t seen a single rumor yet.

Release patterns. A new SE is due this coming Spring or holiday 2018. 
    I’ve been wanting an iPhone 6 style SE for years.

An iPhone X style SE would be even better but harder to pull off unless Apple plans to release SE in holiday 2018.

Heck they can make it the size and feel of the original iPhone with the same screen size of the 5.
    THAT would be interested because a lot of people liked both the screen of iPhone 5 but the smaller feel and fit of small iPhones. 

melgross said:
    I definitely would love to have an iPhone the size of the Plus model but all display like the iPhone X. 
    Exactly! We might have broken our every other year iPhone buying plan this year if they had. But truthfully, the X is having teething pains, because so much of it is new to Apple, that waiting until next year is likely a better bet anyway.

No reason to wait the iPhone X has a larger display than the Plus models TODAY!
    No, it doesn’t. The display is longer, but a lot narrower. Go to a store and see for yourself. There’s a major difference in the size of the keyboard, and many keyboard features the + models have when in horizontal mode aren’t in the X model. You’re just repeating the same nonsense some others are by looking at the (unintentional by Apple) deceptive 5.8” number rather than the 5.5” number.

we see the same thing with 10.5” Android tablets vs the 9.7” iPads. The Android tablet screen sounds larger, but area wise, it’s a lot smaller because of the 16:9 ratio rather than the iPad’s 3:2 ratio.

I see. Sorry I was going by graphs and anecdotal conversations at the Apple Store. People were laying the X on top of their Plus and exclaiming “wow the screen is actually larger”.  I didn’t doubt it after seeings graphs like the one pictured. 

but really are you gonna skip the phone over a few centimeters?
  • Reply 56 of 87
    The line between X Plus and iPad mini is very blurry. There is probably enough area on an X Plus to run iPad apps but the aspect is off. It will be interesting to see where it all goes.
  • Reply 57 of 87
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,314member
    This would be the most confused poorly differentiated Apple product family since the Preforma series.

• Reply 58 of 87
    Kuo’s divination from last year these days...

edited November 2017
  • Reply 59 of 87
    78Bandit said:
    melgross said:
    fallenjt said:

Resolution is the number of horizontal and vertical pixels, density is the PPI.  A screen with 1080p resolution will have 1920 x 1080 pixels no matter what its size.  It doesn't matter if it is a 10" tablet or a 65" TV it will have the same 2,073,600 pixels.

If the rumored 6.1" LCD has the same pixel density of 326 as the iPhone 8 then it will have a higher resolution.  Assuming the same aspect ratio as the iPhone X, the screen on the 6.1" LCD would have a resolution of approximately 1,805 x 835 compared to the iPhone 8 of 1,334 x 750.
    That really not correct. It’s gained common usage, but it’s still not correct. Resolution is the number of pixels, dots or lines resolved per inch, centimeter, or whatever other measure being used. Incorrectly, for Tv people speak about a resolution per width and height, but it’s still incorrect. We now see that being used for phones, and it’s still incorrect. There’s no such standard as density for resolution. It doesn’t exist. It’s another made up word from people who don’t understand standards.

It’s too bad these things have entered common usage, because it’s now impossible to stop it. But, it’s incorrect, no matter how many people stamp their feet over it, or get blue in the face.
    muthuk_vanalingamrandominternetpersonh2p
  • Reply 60 of 87

melgross said:
    fallenjt said:

OK that is possible but that is what doesn't make sense. The width in points must be closer or the same of a Plus, so that it can fit more content horizontally than a 4.7". If it displays the same content horizontally as a 4.7" then there is already 5.8" iPhone X, an 6.1" is pointless. If it displays more content horizontally than a 4.7" (and 5.8" iPhone X), then that makes a little more sense, that would place it somewhere between the regular 4.7" and the Plus. Without the exact physical dimensions it is easy to get lost with similar triangles.
    Well, I didn’t mean it literally. The point was that while 326 is a lower resolution, if the screen is wider, it could have the same total number of pixels across it. It depends on the screen’s width times the total pixels. We really don’t know anything about next year’s phones yet, so I was saying that about the two. Once Apple tells us what is really happening, we’ll know, but not before.
    edited November 2017