Apple kickstarts 'This Weekend Only' promotion at App Store

Posted:
in iPhone
Apple on Thursday introduced a new weekly feature at the iOS App Store, "This Weekend Only," highlighting discounted goods and services available through iPhone and iPad apps.

The promotion will appear in the Apps tab every Thursday, according to Apple. Discounts will be valid through Sunday.

The first batch of apps includes HotelTonight, Glasses by Warby Parker, Under Armour, Chipotle, and Shoptiques. With HotelTonight, for instance, users can get up to 40 percent off a room, while Chipotle is offering free chips and queso with an entree.

Apple's language suggests that going forward, This Weekend Only will concentrate on a single app each week, instead of several.

The company redesigned the App Store for this fall's iOS 11, switching up its layout to draw more attention to featured items.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    Waiting for the trolls to chime in about how Apple having anything "discounted" means they're doomed... 

watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 7

Is the only way for me to browse an entire category of apps is by choosing Apps > Browse all Categories > See All Top Paid and Top Free apps in that category?

• Reply 3 of 7
    Whoa. The graphic design took a terrible hit with that one. Looks like an Android store promo. 

Goes hand in hand with the way the website front page looks like it loaded content with no CSS. 
    SoliGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 4 of 7
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Whoa. The graphic design took a terrible hit with that one. Looks like an Android store promo. 

Goes hand in hand with the way the website front page looks like it loaded content with no CSS. 
    LOL It is pretty bad. You almost expect to see dancing baby and flying toaster amongst the images.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    iWoot? iMeh? I wonder if the apps are refurbs. (Sorry couldn't resist)
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Apple should add a flashing Blue Light to these "specials".
  • Reply 7 of 7
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,358member
    While the idea is nice, the execution is a little tacky. And I'm not digging the redesign of the App Store, either. The new icon, indeed the three new icons in iOS 11 make me think some designer was saying 'We're going to have you begging for iOS 6 skeuomorphism!