Video: The fastest way to unlock your iPhone X with Face ID

Posted:
in iPhone edited August 2020
There is a lot of chatter about people disappointed with the speed of unlocking the iPhone X with Face ID versus just about anything else with Touch ID. AppleInsider talks about it, and how to speed it up.

Face ID is slow for some people is because they're waiting until they see the unlock icon pop up before swiping. But, we've been using the iPhone X since before it shipped and have noticed that you don't have to wait at all before swiping up.

The reason there is a little bit of lag time with Face ID is because the TrueDepth system has to first project infrared dots on your face and then scan those dots before authentication can begin.

Touch ID seems instant because all it has to do is scan your fingerprint, which doesn't have as many variables as your Face does for scanning. And, with rest finger to open enabled, it becomes even faster.

Although Face ID may be a slight bit slower than Touch ID, we may as well try our best to make it as quick as possible. Let's get started.

The raise to wake and tap to wake features are enabled by default, but still make sure that those are on.

A good habit to make to increase the speed of Face ID is to always have your thumb or finger hovering over the bottom of the screen before waking the iPhone X, so that way it's always ready to swipe.

Tap to wake seems to work the fastest, so let's start with that. There's a couple things you can practice to speed up the process.

First, you should find the lowest spot on the screen that consistently wakes your device, then practice swiping to find the most comfortable starting point of the swipe where it's also consistent. The distance of your swipe can actually be pretty short, so practice making the swipe up shorter as well.

And finally, practice tapping and swiping as fast as you possibly can, completely ignoring whether the screen has turned on yet. Then slow down the process until your iPhone X consistently unlocks.
We've actually found that the device can still unlock even if you started the swipe before the screen turned on, so keep that in mind.

Using raise to wake, you eliminate the need to tap, but the angle at which the screen will wake changes with how fast you raise the iPhone X.

After some practice you can really get the hang of it and also start the swipe before you see the screen wake. Just make sure to hover your thumb over the bottom of the screen while raising it.

Of course there's the side button, but it's not as quick if you're holding your phone with one hand. You can definitely try bringing your thumb down to swipe as fast as you can, but it's not as comfortable, and harder to get consistency between actions.

Using two hands, however, is definitely pretty quick. Remember that practice makes perfect, so don't stress out if you're having trouble getting it right.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    robjnrobjn Posts: 283member
    There have been a number of tech ‘experts’ professional journalists and bloggers that have complained about ‘having to press the side button’ in situations where they can’t raise to wake - totally unaware of the fact they just tap the screen!
    calicanadiandudeAlexanderHCredgeminipaStrangeDays
  • Reply 2 of 22
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,302member
    A quarter of a second vs. half a second.

canadiandudemwhiteredgeminipa
  • Reply 3 of 22
    When I first set up Face ID I had held my iPhone X relatively close to my face.  I noticed that Face ID didn’t work that well when I was holding it further away and that I had to bring it closer for my iPhone X to unlock. I reset Face ID and scanned my face a second time but holding my iPhone almost at arm’s length. So far, that seems to have made a noticeable difference, I haven’t had to hold my iPhone directly in front and close to my face for it to work.

That said, I’ve noticed the whole time that as long as I held the phone close enough it unlocked very quickly and, as mentioned, I don’t need to wait for the animation to complete.  Most times I can just look at the phone and swipe.

Also, Face ID seems to work much more frequently than TouchID did for me.  Don’t get me wrong, I have/had no issues with TouchID, but it didn’t work 100% of the time. It wasn’t uncommon for me to have to reposition my finger or try again or just enter my password.  That happens much less frequently with Face ID.  So, even if it’s a tad slower to unlock with Face ID, I probably spend less time futzing with it than I did with Touch ID, and ultimately save time in the long run.
    edited November 2017 slprescottredgeminipa
  • Reply 4 of 22
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Right... "lots"... Is that the new.. "some people".... Man, journalism is 100% dead.

No one gives a crap about actual reality anymore. It's 100% the whine in the wind that gets all the press.
    philboogie
  • Reply 5 of 22
    Very nice video from Vadim, definitely useful tips!
    edited November 2017 redgeminipa
  • Reply 6 of 22
    rolsrols Posts: 68member
    I've found FaceID much better in almost every way. I often have wet hands either from cooking/washing up or just finishing a workout and TouchID was terrible in those cases. That was common enough that FaceID really shines. I also find the whole interface motion much more intuitive, the number of times I pressed the home button and thought it was too soon, pressed it again and ended up with Siri or Apple Pay instead of an opened phone was .. quite large. Now I just put a thumb on the screen and move it around and it feels very natural. 

It's not just the initial unlock which is better, for apps which used to require touch ID to unlock the app you'd see the touchID symbol, then have to place your thumb to authenticate. Since you're already looking at the screen, FaceID starts scanning you and moves though the process before you really notice it happened and without you having to do anything except keep looking. 

The only instance in which FaceID is worse for me is phone lying on the desk I'm sitting at. I can't unlock it in-place which I used to be able to do with an index finger on the button, I have to tilt it up enough to face me so I can scan my face. I don't know if that's something software may be able to fix with the current hardware or it will require an even larger dot projector/scanner which can look 'sideways'. Even with that less-optimal case, I find FaceID better than TouchID ever was. 
    Rayz2016charlesgresredgeminipa
  • Reply 7 of 22
    Vadim should do some more videos - very helpful video and seems like a great guy. He should start a line of Apple educational videos.
    edited November 2017
  • Reply 8 of 22
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    rols said:
    I've found FaceID much better in almost every way. I often have wet hands either from cooking/washing up or just finishing a workout and TouchID was terrible in those cases. That was common enough that FaceID really shines. I also find the whole interface motion much more intuitive, the number of times I pressed the home button and thought it was too soon, pressed it again and ended up with Siri or Apple Pay instead of an opened phone was .. quite large. Now I just put a thumb on the screen and move it around and it feels very natural. 

It's not just the initial unlock which is better, for apps which used to require touch ID to unlock the app you'd see the touchID symbol, then have to place your thumb to authenticate. Since you're already looking at the screen, FaceID starts scanning you and moves though the process before you really notice it happened and without you having to do anything except keep looking. 

The only instance in which FaceID is worse for me is phone lying on the desk I'm sitting at. I can't unlock it in-place which I used to be able to do with an index finger on the button, I have to tilt it up enough to face me so I can scan my face. I don't know if that's something software may be able to fix with the current hardware or it will require an even larger dot projector/scanner which can look 'sideways'. Even with that less-optimal case, I find FaceID better than TouchID ever was. 
    Yes, exactly the same experience as mine. I cook a lot with iPhone or iPad open on recipe page. Imagine how easy it is now to just swipe up to unlock instead of wiping my finger fifty times just to unlock the phone? After using iPhone X, I am now hesitated to use my iPad in kitchen.
    redgeminipa
  • Reply 9 of 22

The only place where I miss TouchID is when I'm buying something on the App Store/ iTunes Store. Just resting my finger on the Home Button was easier than pressing the Power Button twice on the iPhone X.

It's probably muscle memory and I'll get used to it.

• Reply 10 of 22
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    I wish Fave ID had the equivalent to “rest finger to open“. When it recognizes me it should open and not require me to swipe up after it unlocks. I hope a future iOS update has “Auto-open After Unlock” option in settings. 

Oversll Face ID has been much better than Touch ID. With my iPhone 6 Plus fingerprints would only last a week. After that my finger would be totally unrecognized even though I went through the extra step of scanning the sane thumb for all 5 fingerprint slots.

Face ID does not seem to be fading at all. I even got a free replacement iPhone 6 Plus twice and Touch ID still faded after a week. First replacement was when the LTE band mysteriously died, the second time was after the replacement’s screen developed Touch Disease (Google it).
    edited November 2017
  • Reply 11 of 22
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,687member
    rols said:

Dirty or wet hands is a very valid use case but I have my phone (no FaceID) set to not switch off the screen for 30 minutes so the 'problem' doesn't exist.

In normal use, I have the habit of locking the device whenever I have finished with it.

Tap to wake is a nice addition to the iPhone.
  • Reply 12 of 22
    Okay, now this is starting to get ridiculous. Why the HELL does Apple insist you waste time swiping up when unlocking the iPhone for the Home screen. MAKE THAT AN OPTION and one that we can easily turn OFF!  This would allow the other 99.9% of iPhone users to jump directly into their Home screen if no Apps are already open on the screen, WITHOUT swiping-up first when unlocking with Face-ID.  ***JUST DO IT!!**  Our hands shouldn't have to become sock-puppets just to unlock the damn phone!
    edited November 2017 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 13 of 22
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    Okay, now this is starting to get ridiculous. Why the HELL does Apple insist you waste time swiping up when unlocking the iPhone for the Home screen. MAKE THAT AN OPTION and one that we can easily turn OFF!  This would allow the other 99.9% of iPhone users to jump directly into their Home screen if no Apps are already open on the screen, WITHOUT swiping-up first when unlocking with Face-ID.  ***JUST DO IT!!**  Our hands shouldn't have to become sock-puppets just to unlock the damn phone!
    I totally agree. I hope that lots of people have been bitching about this to Apple and it is resolved in the next iOS update. It’s the only thing I immediately found annoying about the iPhone X. 
    SoundJudgmentmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 14 of 22
    I get it about making it an option, but I use it to view my lock screen notifications all the time. Do you ALWAYS want instant home screen access and NEVER look just to see the time or notifications?  If so, I’d say you are in the minority.

Also, swiping isn’t that big a deal and isn’t much of a time waste.  As I mentioned earlier, I spend less total time with Face ID than I did with TouchID not always reading my fingerprint on the first try.
  • Reply 15 of 22
    I get it about making it an option, but I use it to view my lock screen notifications all the time. Do you ALWAYS want instant home screen access and NEVER look just to see the time or notifications?  
    If I needed to see Notifications, I would swipe down as I do now.  But it is much less important than being ready on the Home-screen to run a app or be engaged in an action. That is why I say make the choice of needing to swipe up optional. At least I would be doing this viewing-action from a position of strength, not while being Locked out of my own phone.
    edited November 2017 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 16 of 22
    I get it about making it an option, but I use it to view my lock screen notifications all the time. Do you ALWAYS want instant home screen access and NEVER look just to see the time or notifications?  If so, I’d say you are in the minority.

Also, swiping isn’t that big a deal and isn’t much of a time waste.  As I mentioned earlier, I spend less total time with Face ID than I did with TouchID not always reading my fingerprint on the first try.
    An option in settings to require a swipe to reach homescreen would be optimal. 
    SoundJudgment
  • Reply 17 of 22

An option in settings to require a swipe to reach homescreen would be optimal. 
    Of course, it would be optimal.  But swiping isn’t a huge deal.  Also, I’m sure you remember all the people complaining that TouchID was too fast and the phone would unlock before they had a chance to see their notifications, which frequently was all they wanted to do.
  • Reply 18 of 22

I get it about making it an option, but I use it to view my lock screen notifications all the time. Do you ALWAYS want instant home screen access and NEVER look just to see the time or notifications?  
    If I needed to see Notifications, I would swipe down as I do now.  But it is much less important than being ready on the Home-screen to run a app or be engaged in an action. That is why I say make the choice of needing to swipe up optional. At least I would be doing this viewing-action from a position of strength, not while being Locked out of my own phone.
    So, swiping up is terrible but swiping down is fine.  Got it.

This is much less of a deal than you are making it out to be.  Do you have iPhone X or are you just speculating on how the experience is?
    edited November 2017
  • Reply 19 of 22
    Can anyone please tell how does the FaceID work if the iPhone is fixed in a car holder not pointing directly at the driver?
  • Reply 20 of 22
    Bluerider said:
    Can anyone please tell how does the FaceID work if the iPhone is fixed in a car holder not pointing directly at the driver?
    Of course it can't be pointed away from you, since it projects and scans dots. But it has a decent spread. Just tested the angle at which it works with the selfie camera.

I held the phone to the side and a decent length away from my face to simulate where the phone holder would be affixed. 

I then turned on the selfie camera and set the angle to cut off my face completely, only showing my ear, and it unlocked.

Afterwards, I changed the angle to completely cut my head off and it didn't unlock.

So you can place your current iPhone (if you have one) on your phone holder in the car, and turn on the selfie camera. If you can at least see your ear, you should be fine. 
    Bluerider