YouTube promises fix for severe battery drain on iPhones & iPads

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 28
    Photos has been killing my iPhone 7 battery since iOS 11 went on.  78% of battery usage for photos background activity.  Very annoying. No way to turn off background refreshes for photos.
  • Reply 22 of 28
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    Starting to wonder if it makes more sense to just turn off Background App Refresh for all apps, and selectively turn it on when you realize certain apps clearly benefit from it and don’t suck up battery life. I feel like apps should ask for permission for this and maybe add a bit of transparency as to why it’s beneficial to have on.
    Yes, I think so. I turn nearly everything off (background refresh) and just enable it for a few apps where I might need it (i.e.: something I want real-time updates, or a download or stream needs to continue). What gets tricky, is that they somehow get turned back on, often after an iOS update. After an update (especially a major one), I usually take an hour or so and comb through settings. It's a pain, but I'm constantly finding apps that get their background, cellular, or backup settings changed.

Photos has been killing my iPhone 7 battery since iOS 11 went on.  78% of battery usage for photos background activity.  Very annoying. No way to turn off background refreshes for photos.
    Note that photos does a bunch of processing of your photo library, at least initially. So, some of that might go away. It's probably analyzing the photos to associate terms and objects and such with them, which I'd imagine isn't non-intensive.
    muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 28
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    cgWerks said:
    macxpress said:
    Or you could just not use YouTube...The site is getting so it sucks anyways. Even their popular people are getting fed up with them. 
    I think the 'popular people' are primarily fed up with changes to the ad payout structure. Depending only on that isn't a smart way to build a business for ANY social-media or 3rd party site. Same with popular Facebook people, etc.

But, I guess... what are the alternatives? I've seen nothing else that does what YouTube does or even gets close. I'd imagine delivering video at that scale is a super hard thing to compete with. I guess if you've got enough money and popularity, you could just directly deliver content via your own means.
    Why many companies copy iPhones but not Youtube? Why there are lots of iPhone competitors but not Youtube alternatives? I know I am comparing Apple and Orange here, but the core question remains, why there hasn't any aggressive alternative being pushed for Youtube? Is it because Google is too big for ads and Youtube generally free for all (depending on the ads instead?).
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 28
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    kevin kee said:
    Why many companies copy iPhones but not Youtube? Why there are lots of iPhone competitors but not Youtube alternatives? I know I am comparing Apple and Orange here, but the core question remains, why there hasn't any aggressive alternative being pushed for Youtube? Is it because Google is too big for ads and Youtube generally free for all (depending on the ads instead?).
    I think it's just really hard to get anything to scale in terms of delivering costly (bandwidth, servers, etc.) content and promote it without the scale, capabilities, and advantages of Google. Also remember... YouTube isn't really free, all the viewers are driving ad revenue. As with most 'free' social media, the product are the viewers the social media company is using to sell advertising.
  • Reply 25 of 28
    Playing Legendary Game Of Heroes drains my battery the most. Unity or spline animations i don’t know, but it seems all started with ios 10
  • Reply 26 of 28
    I think the YouTube battery drain problem will be fixed soon. As soon as all the YouTube battery comparison tests have been done on the iPhone X vs the Pixel 2 that is. 
  • Reply 27 of 28
    Playing Legendary Game Of Heroes drains my battery the most.