Android smartphone vendors reportedly pushing for foldable mobile devices with dual displa...

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 36
    I love reading comments from Apple fans. You all say how useless this feature is and ridicule it until Apple finally copies the design and adds their hyperbole while claiming it's new and innovative. You can't tell me if Apple were trying this first, you wouldn't all be clamoring over the genius of Ive and Cook. Then again, Apple does nothing first anymore and both Ive and Cook are showing their myopic shortcomings.
  • Reply 22 of 36
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    baldwyn17 said:
    I love reading comments from Apple fans. You all say how useless this feature is and ridicule it until Apple finally copies the design and adds their hyperbole while claiming it's new and innovative. You can't tell me if Apple were trying this first, you wouldn't all be clamoring over the genius of Ive and Cook. Then again, Apple does nothing first anymore and both Ive and Cook are showing their myopic shortcomings.
    That’s an awfully cynical view.  A simpler explanation, backed up history, it that Apple considers many of these ideas right along with the Android community.  The difference being, the Android vendors, because they are in intense competition with one another to differentiate their product offerings, feel pressure to incorporate each new idea before they are beaten to market by their competition.  And so they rush out the door attempts at face recognition, for example, that can easily be defeated by a photograph, or LTE back in the days before the radios were energy efficient, requiring bigger batteries, which are bad for the environment, or tablets that don’t have good software support, so the apps they ran were just scaled up phone apps rather than apps designed for a tablet screen.  The list goes on, and maybe once in a while they implement something well and first.  Good for them on that, but Apple usually takes more time to bake a better cake, and in doing so shows where the Android community is lacking.  
    edited November 2017 watto_cobrathedbaGG1randominternetpersondoozydozen
  • Reply 23 of 36
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,301member
    I’m going to wait for the quad screen model so I can play two games of Battleship simiulataneously. 
    watto_cobrarandominternetperson
  • Reply 24 of 36
    baldwyn17 said:
    That’s an awfully cynical view.  A simpler explanation, backed up history, it that Apple considers many of these ideas right along with the Android community.  The difference being, the Android vendors, because they are in intense competition with one another to differentiate their product offerings, feel pressure to incorporate each new idea before they are beaten to market by their competition.  And so they rush out the door attempts at face recognition, for example, that can easily be defeated by a photograph, or LTE back in the days before the radios were energy efficient, requiring bigger batteries, which are bad for the environment, or tablets that don’t have good software support, so the apps they ran were just scaled up phone apps rather than apps designed for a tablet screen.  The list goes on, and maybe once in a while they implement something well and first.  Good for them on that, but Apple usually takes more time to bake a better cake, and in doing so shows where the Android community is lacking.  

Just to give one example - Large screen phones which Samsung has been making from 2011. This was mocked by Apple fans in other forums until 2014. I was NOT part of AI back then, so I don't have any clue about what happened in AI those days (2011 to 2014), but Apple fans in other tech forums (each and every one of them) mocked the very idea of a large phone (said 4 inch is the perfect size for a phone, anything large is NOT a phone etc), until Apple launched iPhone 6 & 6 Plus in 2014. Then the tune changed.

I have to agree with your other point though - There are MANY examples (QHD resolution in displays, 41MP camera, FPS just to give few examples) of Android OEMs rushing a feature even before the tech is ready and Apple shows them how to do it better. Same way, there are many examples (large screens, OLED display, Water resistance, 4k video capture, Insanely high screen to body ratio etc) of Android OEMs doing it right AND Apple implementing those ideas later.

Edit: That 41MP camera was a Symbian/Windows OS lineup one - Nokia special, a pretty good one for its time anyway. Android OEMs did not go that far but still went upto 16/21/25MP only to realize it is not helping anyway and came back to 12/13 MP now.

edited November 2017
  • Reply 25 of 36
    Screen protectors might be a bit of an issue , esp tempered glass ones 

Hell , they already have trouble making decent protectors for Samsung Edge phones . This would be a whole new level 
  • Reply 26 of 36
    tshapitshapi Posts: 369member
    Can't see the advantage here. Maybe for certain niche markets it would make more sense, but I see those screens stressing and wearing out much faster. 
    Don’t think foldable screens.  Think more mailable screens that can be curved into there own stands. Making more flexible phones or tablets. I suspect this tech is better for tablets, even in a foldable nature. Imagine being able to have a 7” tablet that becomes a 14” tablet at will.  I’m order for this to he implemented on any Apple product it will have to go along way.  
  • Reply 27 of 36
    baldwyn17 said:
    Android fans are very funny. They all think Apple can not think of anything. Apple can not think of a phone with fingerprint scanner or face scanner, so when Android had it first it’s Apple that copied it. Well my niece who is not 12 yet can imagine all these things, why can’t people at Apple?
    In fact, it’s Apple that always show Android producers how to do things.. how to do a proper fingerprint scanner, that Samsung has to “copied” them later, and how to do a proper face scanner that no doubt Samsung will copy it next year or the year afterward.
    Yeah.. this foldable phone is really too hard to imagine. It’s not like we’d never seen & used such foldable things, like a book or an organizer, in our life before. Doh.. With this level of intelligence no wonder you so love Android. 

edited November 2017 randominternetperson
  • Reply 28 of 36
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    baldwyn17 said:

Just to give one example - Large screen phones which Samsung has been making from 2011. This was mocked by Apple fans in other forums until 2014. I was NOT part of AI back then, so I don't have any clue about what happened in AI those days (2011 to 2014), but Apple fans in other tech forums (each and every one of them) mocked the very idea of a large phone (said 4 inch is the perfect size for a phone, anything large is NOT a phone etc), until Apple launched iPhone 6 & 6 Plus in 2014. Then the tune changed.

I have to agree with your other point though - There are MANY examples (QHD resolution in displays, 41MP camera, FPS just to give few examples) of Android OEMs rushing a feature even before the tech is ready and Apple shows them how to do it better. Same way, there are many examples (large screens, OLED display, Water resistance, 4k video capture, Insanely high screen to body ratio etc) of Android OEMs doing it right AND Apple implementing those ideas later.

Edit: That 41MP camera was a Symbian/Windows OS lineup one - Nokia special, a pretty good one for its time anyway. Android OEMs did not go that far but still went upto 16/21/25MP only to realize it is not helping anyway and came back to 12/13 MP now.

It took several years before large screen phones took off. The first three years, or so, they sold in a small minority. The public, in general, was skeptical. I was skeptical. I had an iPad, and I couldn’t see the point to these large phones. It took me some while to get used to the concept. By the time Apple came out with the 6+, I was going to get the 6 instead. But my daughter, wanted the {, and what totally surprised me was that my wife, who normally wants the small models, wanted the + too. So I decided to give it a try, and got used to the large size more quickly than I expected. Now, I won’t go back to a smaller version.

its not true that every Apple fan mocked large phones, though a fair number did. But some ideas are good, but take time to hell. However, that doesn’t mean that all ideas are good. Folding phones seem like overkill. Somehow, they need to lock open or typing or drawing will be a problem. The case is going to be thick heavy, clumsy, and more prone to breakage. If the screen bends, rather than having two side by side screens, then it can’t be protected. It will be thin plastic like a mylar film on top. It definitely will get damaged.

then the power to run these screens will be a lot more than any other phone needs now. The battery will need to be huge. The phone will take forever to charge, or will get too hot to hold with quick charging.

This idea isn’t just a feature. It’s almost two phones in one. How much will it cost? Will it be plastic rather than metal or glass. Glass on one back if it wirelessly charges.

seriously, who is going to buy one of these things?
    patchythepirate
  • Reply 29 of 36

tshapi said:
    Can't see the advantage here. Maybe for certain niche markets it would make more sense, but I see those screens stressing and wearing out much faster. 
    Don’t think foldable screens.  Think more mailable screens that can be curved into there own stands. Making more flexible phones or tablets. I suspect this tech is better for tablets, even in a foldable nature. Imagine being able to have a 7” tablet that becomes a 14” tablet at will.  I’m order for this to he implemented on any Apple product it will have to go along way.  
    It’s a terrible idea. I’ve been talking about why. How are you going to protect a bendable, plastic screen like that? The screens would need to fold together, inside the case for protection when not being used, because, well, they would have to be plastic to fold. So, one huge plastic screen protector? That would have to bend around too. Would there be room when the phone was folded together?

It’s said here that it could be folded in some way so that it could be used as one smaller screen with the screens outside. You can’t have it fold both inside and outside, because the screen would have to stretch. That doesn’t work. So this would always need to be used open, double size. People still do make phone calls, despite all the humor around that. Does anyone want to hold one of these giant things to their head? How would that work? Would you hold it horizontally, like an open book, or would you turn it sideways? Would you have to close it first, with the mic and earphone on the outside?

i really don’t see it.
  • Reply 30 of 36
    melgross said:
    baldwyn17 said:

It took several years before large screen phones took off. The first three years, or so, they sold in a small minority. The public, in general, was skeptical. I was skeptical. I had an iPad, and I couldn’t see the point to these large phones. It took me some while to get used to the concept. By the time Apple came out with the 6+, I was going to get the 6 instead. But my daughter, wanted the {, and what totally surprised me was that my wife, who normally wants the small models, wanted the + too. So I decided to give it a try, and got used to the large size more quickly than I expected. Now, I won’t go back to a smaller version.

its not true that every Apple fan mocked large phones, though a fair number did. But some ideas are good, but take time to hell. However, that doesn’t mean that all ideas are good. Folding phones seem like overkill. Somehow, they need to lock open or typing or drawing will be a problem. The case is going to be thick heavy, clumsy, and more prone to breakage. If the screen bends, rather than having two side by side screens, then it can’t be protected. It will be thin plastic like a mylar film on top. It definitely will get damaged.

then the power to run these screens will be a lot more than any other phone needs now. The battery will need to be huge. The phone will take forever to charge, or will get too hot to hold with quick charging.

This idea isn’t just a feature. It’s almost two phones in one. How much will it cost? Will it be plastic rather than metal or glass. Glass on one back if it wirelessly charges.

Being skeptical about an idea is different from mocking it. Having gone through your posts on this thread and many others, your are being skeptical about how those new ideas (large phones or foldable display phones) would work in real world, which is perfectly fine. In fact that is the right approach, without blindly accepting anything that comes out of an OEM (be it Apple or Samsung or others). But there are MANY others who just mock the idea (both in Android camp and iPhone camp) without even trying it out. That is just unfortunate.

My own take on the foldable screens - As a concept, it is a great idea. I don't need to buy a Phone AND tablet. If done right, I will have a single device which serves both the purposes (a 5 inch phone and a 7 inch tablet). How it would work in real world? I am as skeptical as you.

• Reply 31 of 36
    melgross said:

tshapi said:
    It’s a terrible idea. I’ve been talking about why. How are you going to protect a bendable, plastic screen like that? The screens would need to fold together, inside the case for protection when not being used, because, well, they would have to be plastic to fold. So, one huge plastic screen protector? That would have to bend around too. Would there be room when the phone was folded together?

It’s said here that it could be folded in some way so that it could be used as one smaller screen with the screens outside. You can’t have it fold both inside and outside, because the screen would have to stretch. That doesn’t work. So this would always need to be used open, double size. People still do make phone calls, despite all the humor around that. Does anyone want to hold one of these giant things to their head? How would that work? Would you hold it horizontally, like an open book, or would you turn it sideways? Would you have to close it first, with the mic and earphone on the outside?

i really don’t see it.
    I was thinking about the same and this seems to have been solved already - Like Yota phones (which has an e-ink display on the back - yes 2 displays in a phone) and more recently Meizu Pro 7 plus (which has a small screen of 240*536 pixels on the back), the foldable phone can have yet another display which can be used for the folded-position usage. What do you think?
  • Reply 32 of 36
    melgross said:
    baldwyn17 said:

Being skeptical about an idea is different from mocking it. Having gone through your posts on this thread and many others, your are being skeptical about how those new ideas (large phones or foldable display phones) would work in real world, which is perfectly fine. In fact that is the right approach, without blindly accepting anything that comes out of an OEM (be it Apple or Samsung or others). But there are MANY others who just mock the idea (both in Android camp and iPhone camp) without even trying it out. That is just unfortunate.

My own take on the foldable screens - As a concept, it is a great idea. I don't need to buy a Phone AND tablet. If done right, I will have a single device which serves both the purposes (a 5 inch phone and a 7 inch tablet). How it would work in real world? I am as skeptical as you.

And that’s the problem. Some of these ideas seem good, but aren’t practical. Seriously, I’ve thought about these types of things before Apple came out with the iPad. But then, when they did, I stopped thinking about it. At first, I wanted a tablet that would fit in a case on my waist, like my phones did. So a screen maybe 4 x 6, with a resulting tablet just a bit bigger. I thought that if I couldn’t carry it everywhere, like a phone, it would fail. Tablets don’t sell anywhere near the numbers that phones sell in. But these large phones are almost the size of my original tablet desires. I remember arguing with Ireland here about tablet sizes. He wanted a 10”. Guess who was right. It wasn’t me, though Apple came closer later with the Mimi.

the idea of folding devices isn’t new, it’s been around for ages, but no one has been able to come out with anything workable. The Microsoft Courier concept looked good, at the time, but the Windows division and Ballmer closed it down. But it was really thick, and had two separate screens. It would never sell today.
  • Reply 33 of 36

melgross said:

tshapi said:

i really don’t see it.
    I was thinking about the same and this seems to have been solved already - Like Yota phones (which has an e-ink display on the back - yes 2 displays in a phone) and more recently Meizu Pro 7 plus (which has a small screen of 240*536 pixels on the back), the foldable phone can have yet another display which can be used for the folded-position usage. What do you think?
    Those phones have gone nowhere. Perhaps that shows little market for it, which should be a major concern. So what are we now talking about, one huge screen inside that folds closed and is used opened up all the time, with yet a third screen on the outside? Don’t you think this is becoming just a bit unwieldy? How much will these things cost? I keep mentioning this, but no one responds to it. The average iPhone now costs about $675, which includes all the older, and so cheaper ones Apple still sells.

the average Android Phone, as of the end of 2016, cost $208, with Samsung’s higher at $223, due to their Galaxy S series. Samsung is the only Android manufacturer to sell more than a single digit’s worth of flagship phones counted in millions. Samsung sells between 40-50 million a year. But Samsung’s flagships are sold at a “buy one get one at 50% off”, and even  “buy one and get one free” just weeks after they come out. Apple sells at least three times that in current flagship phones, with their cheapest at $350.

so the problem is how much will a two size screened phone sell for? Considering everything I’ve also said about the need to drive a large super high Pixel count screen, and the giant battery needed to power it. Then, the complex case to house it reliably, in some one’s back pocket, assuming it will fit. A glass back somewhere for wireless recharging, because that’s a thing. The weight it will have.

so, how much? $500? $600? $800? $1,000? $1,200? More? How much would you pay? And if it did have that third screen, of some kind, how much more would it cost, and would it be even bulkier?

these are things that people aren’t thinking about.
    edited November 2017
  • Reply 34 of 36
    melgross said:

melgross said:

tshapi said:

i really don’t see it.
    Those phones have gone nowhere. Perhaps that shows little market for it, which should be a major concern. So what are we now talking about, one huge screen inside that folds closed and is used opened up all the time, with yet a third screen on the outside? Don’t you think this is becoming just a bit unwieldy? How much will these things cost? I keep mentioning this, but no one responds to it. The average iPhone now costs about $675, which includes all the older, and so cheaper ones Apple still sells.

the average Android Phone, as of the end of 2016, cost $208, with Samsung’s higher at $223, due to their Galaxy S series. Samsung is the only Android manufacturer to sell more than a single digit’s worth of flagship phones counted in millions. Samsung sells between 40-50 million a year. But Samsung’s flagships are sold at a “buy one get one at 50% off”, and even  “buy one and get one free” just weeks after they come out. Apple sells at least three times that in current flagship phones, with their cheapest at $350.

so the problem is how much will a two size screened phone sell for? Considering everything I’ve also said about the need to drive a large super high Pixel count screen, and the giant battery needed to power it. Then, the complex case to house it reliably, in some one’s back pocket, assuming it will fit. A glass back somewhere for wireless recharging, because that’s a thing. The weight it will have.

so, how much? $500? $600? $800? $1,000? $1,200? More? How much would you pay? And if it did have that third screen, of some kind, how much more would it cost, and would it be even bulkier?

Agree with most of your points, except few. Those phones which I mentioned were NOT from mainstream OEMs. So their success or lack of it should NOT be used to evaluate the idea in itself. It could be a good idea, not adopted yet by mainstream OEMs, only time will tell. Pixel count also may not be an issue. Most of the tablets (even the 10 inch ones) run at QHD+ resolution only. The display on back would not make it a third screen. it is still a second screen, with a smaller size and resolution. Wireless charging and water resistance may be skipped if technology does not allow. I think that it would be considered as reasonable compromise if it comes to that. This would cost at least $1000 for each phone. Only huge volumes would make this a viable product. Which means only Apple & Samsung can make this happen, if it is viable at all. Am I excited by the idea? Yes. Am I skeptical on how this would play out? Yes, again.
  • Reply 35 of 36
    melgross said:

melgross said:

tshapi said:

i really don’t see it.

Agree with most of your points, except few. Those phones which I mentioned were NOT from mainstream OEMs. So their success or lack of it should NOT be used to evaluate the idea in itself. It could be a good idea, not adopted yet by mainstream OEMs, only time will tell. Pixel count also may not be an issue. Most of the tablets (even the 10 inch ones) run at QHD+ resolution only. The display on back would not make it a third screen. it is still a second screen, with a smaller size and resolution. Wireless charging and water resistance may be skipped if technology does not allow. I think that it would be considered as reasonable compromise if it comes to that. This would cost at least $1000 for each phone. Only huge volumes would make this a viable product. Which means only Apple & Samsung can make this happen, if it is viable at all. Am I excited by the idea? Yes. Am I skeptical on how this would play out? Yes, again.
    They are being made by small companies because they are a gimmick, not a real solution to anything. They don’t sell, because they ARE a gimmick. Remember that small companies become large companies because they have products that people want, who then buy them, propelling those small companies into the sphere of the large companies.

if a screen is twice the width, because it folds out, then it’s going to have twice the pixels, and will need a GPU that’s twice as fast. That means that the CPU needs to deliver information more quickly to the GPU for processing, which means that the memory channel needs to be twice as fast, which means that the RAM needs to be twice as fast, and that it will need double the amount. Because smartphone GPUs share RAM with the CPU, there will be a bottleneck unless all of the above are done correctly. There’s really no way around it.

and that smaller third screen is still a third screen. If it’s too small, it’s useless. If it’s too big, it’s going to have problems if its own. If it’s outside, then it needs glass to cover it.

The inside screen, if it’s one large folding screen will get damaged. I guarantee it. There is no way it can be easily protected for all the reasons I’ve been giving. These screens aren’t just for viewing. You are going to touch and poke them. Old phones had a thick plastic cover that had give for the stylus and the resistive layer below, and still needed a plastic protector. You should see the screen of my old Palm Treo 700p. But these can’t have even that, because of the folding. And then, how is the center going to be supported when open? Somehow, the case needs to lock perfectly flat, without having any seam at all at the center. If it does, the screen will bend and dent when used, particularly if a stylus of any kind is used, quickly destroying the screen there.

other than a compromise of having two screens inside, and a very thick case, because both screens will need the several mm of glass as protection, and the several mm thick glass for the wireless charge, I don’t see this as practical.

And at over $1,000 for a phone, and possibly much more, again, who is going to buy it? Not Android buyers, that’s for sure. I don’t think too many iPhone users either.

maybe we can agree that it’s an interesting idea that can’t be made in a practical way. 
    edited November 2017
  • Reply 36 of 36
    This is going to be good for years of laughs. No matter how terrible of of idea it clearly is, android OEMs are going to keep falling over themselves developing and promoting a foldable phone. It's going to be project ara all over again. Just more proof that the reality distortion field in the android world has gone full delusional.