6.5-inch iPhone X, 6.1-inch LCD iPhone in the works for late 2018 launch

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 87
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member

I also forgot to mention - not necessarily 16:9 ratio display. More like 19.5:9, similar to iPhone X. Not that I agree with that idea, but I guess that is what people imply when they talk about much larger screen in similar dimensions. 
    That’s what happens when you get rid of the top and bottom shelves, or as some people call them, the forehead and chin.
  • Reply 82 of 87
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    melgross said:

I also forgot to mention - not necessarily 16:9 ratio display. More like 19.5:9, similar to iPhone X. Not that I agree with that idea, but I guess that is what people imply when they talk about much larger screen in similar dimensions. 
    That’s what happens when you get rid of the top and bottom shelves, or as some people call them, the forehead and chin.
    Not necessarily. You could keep the same screen size as now (in the iPhone 6/7/8 non-plus) and shrink the phone body down by eliminating the chin and radically reducing the forehead (small forehead still required to house camera, earpiece speaker, faceID). That would be my preferred solution (I like the 4.7" screen size but a smaller body phone would be great) but it looks like they're not planning on it :(
  • Reply 83 of 87
    mr. h said:
    melgross said:

Not necessarily. You could keep the same screen size as now (in the iPhone 6/7/8 non-plus) and shrink the phone body down by eliminating the chin and radically reducing the forehead (small forehead still required to house camera, earpiece speaker, faceID). That would be my preferred solution (I like the 4.7" screen size but a smaller body phone would be great) but it looks like they're not planning on it :(
    Well, I’m not saying no to that. I didn’t address it, because the question brought to me was a larger phone screen. But of course, you could have the same screen size, and a shorter phone. I’m not sure how that would affect the insides though, particularly the battery capacity.
  • Reply 84 of 87
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    melgross said:
    mr. h said:
    melgross said:

Well, I’m not saying no to that. I didn’t address it, because the question brought to me was a larger phone screen. But of course, you could have the same screen size, and a shorter phone. I’m not sure how that would affect the insides though, particularly the battery capacity.
    Indeed. Of course a fair bit of the chin is taken up with the TouchID sensor, support circuitry and cables, but certainly a small amount of internal volume would be lost and the battery would probably have to be a bit smaller. But they are making improvements to the logic-board design all the time, in terms of making it more and more compact.
  • Reply 85 of 87
    mr. h said:
    melgross said:
    mr. h said:
    melgross said:

Indeed. Of course a fair bit of the chin is taken up with the TouchID sensor, support circuitry and cables, but certainly a small amount of internal volume would be lost and the battery would probably have to be a bit smaller. But they are making improvements to the logic-board design all the time, in terms of making it more and more compact.
    The phone would be pretty squat.
  • Reply 86 of 87
    Wish they would do a smaller 5" screen version, not a fan of these huge phones. Form factor somewhere between SE and 8 would be so nice.
    completely agree... as an iPhone user since the original which was purchased on day 2 in 2007, these latest iPhones have gotten way too big and too expensive. I fundamentally like the X design and new functionality but they really need to make one approx the length of the SE but slightly wider and no more than $600 before i will consider one...
  • Reply 87 of 87
    wainertoniwainertoni Posts: 2unconfirmed, member
    I definitely would love to have an iPhone the size of the Plus model but all display like the iPhone X. 
    I totally agree with you!