Video for iOS & tvOS-exclusive game 'Sky' teases story, multiplayer elements

Posted:
in iOS
More details about "Flower" and "Journey" developer thatgamecompany's next title, "Sky," have been revealed in a brief gameplay video, showing the opening moments of the and collaborative puzzles from the game, which will launch first on iOS and tvOS.

Narrated by thatgamecompany creative director Jenova Chen, the new "Sky" video published by IGN starts by showing the player waking up on a beach as one of the "children of shadow." Collecting light as the player traverses the environment changes the appearance of the character from a silhouette to one with defined features, as well as providing the avatar with abilities.

Held in a candle the protagonist carries, the player can spread the light to other areas, lighting other candles to reveal the story of the environment and characters within the world. The light is used for puzzles, activating switches to open doors into new areas and to illuminate paintings, with the candle also used to "connect and bond" with other players, according to Chen.

While players were able to pass through "Flower" and "Journey" as a single player experience, though were able to interact with other players in a limited fashion, "Sky" will require teamwork to pass certain obstacles, and will support up to 8 players in a single game instance. For example, two or more players may be required to unlock a door by using their light at different places simultaneously.

"Unlike most video games where the player is the hero to save the world, they can solve all the puzzles themselves, In Sky it's a game where compassion, generosity, and collaboration are the heavy focus," states Chen. "So you have to find someone to work together. They can be real-life friends and family, and they could be people you know playing the game at a remote location."

"In Sky, as individuals, you are small and weak, but together, you can overcome all kinds of challenges."

Later in the video, players are shown flying around the landscape and interacting with each other using the candle. Another scene shows the character lighting a set of candles and reawakening an ancient spirit, which can help players progress through their journey.

Chen speaks about the challenges of developing a mobile-first title in his voiceover, including how a typical game controller gives players "all kinds of feedback" compared to a touchscreen. "The screen is all you have, and it was difficult to come up with satisfying input, just with the touch."

"We wanted to find something simple and intuitive but also has depth that you can master," admits Chen, before advising it is possible to play the majority of the game by simply swiping a finger. "Occasionally you will be touching a context-sensitive button to start a meditation or take out your candle, but the majority of the walking, running, and flying, is just a one-finger swipe."

The game is said to be designed for families to play together, Chen insists, and has been made to try and make players feel like a child in a theme park, regardless of their real age. "We want this experience between you and your family to feel like you are all children, and you get to see something you've never experienced before," Chen suggests, "to share the sense of wonder with your family and friends, to bring you closer together."

"Sky" was introduced as part of Apple's iPhone X event in September, to demonstrate the use of Metal 2 and the A10X Fusion chip in the Apple TV 4K. A release date and pricing was not detailed at the time, but it will apparently ship sometime this winter.

It is a timed exclusive for Apple, debuting first on iPhone, iPad and Apple TV.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    I hope Apple invest in gaming. They totally bungled selling the Apple TV as a gaming platform. It has so much potential now it has the A10X chip. It must be faster than the Nintendo Switch. Shame its priced pretty much the same as an Xbox One S. Only some good exclusive games will attract people to the platform now.
    calimike54watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 8
    Given how much I loved Flower and Journey, I'm very much looking forward to this game's arrival. Love the philosophy of the game play which is non-"hero worship, kill your enemies with big weapons and lots of graphic bloodshed" but rather a cooperative instead of competitive spirit of game play, what a refreshing change from pretty much everything else out there. They need to build more games, I love this company.
    tmayStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 8
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    I hope Apple invest in gaming. They totally bungled selling the Apple TV as a gaming platform. It has so much potential now it has the A10X chip. It must be faster than the Nintendo Switch. Shame its priced pretty much the same as an Xbox One S. Only some good exclusive games will attract people to the platform now.
    Why doesn't Apple just reach into the couch and acquire this developer?

Seriously this Apple TV situation is irritating. In 2017 only ONE game will utilize the Apple TV 4Ks full capabilities(Still Unconfirmed).  One is scheduled for 2018 and possibly up to 2 games in 2018 so far.
    I have done hours of research and I've only found a handful of games that barely push the 4th gen A8 to it's full capacity.

Another problem is android, YES the garbage knockoffs. Because of droid a lot of developers dumb down the visuals and power to accommodate everyone.

The solution is easy, Apple needs to pump some money into developers to work EXCLUSIVELY on Apple TV. Games that are 100% made for the A10X chip, 4K Dolby Vision. Have an iPhone X and iPad Pro 2017? Fine it will be compatible there too but don't expect it on iPhone 4s or some garbage $50 ZTE droid.

Give 1 million to acquire thatgamecompany, 2 million more for a few independent studios(Frictional Games, Fingerlab, Atypical Games, are good) and maybe another million for timed exclusives and back-catalog ports like GTA IV, Street Fighter, Resident Evil, Call of Duty, Final Fantasy.
    That's less than 5 million to kick the Apple TV in the a** real good.

Take it to a Steve Jobs level and have the Apple developers mingle in a game studio at Park. Imagine that?

Add in an exclusive deal for Mario Run TV and BAM, kids holiday console.

For those jonesing for some gaming treat of some sort, my hours-long research:

Games taking(some) advantage of the 4th gen A8:

Subdivision Infinity, AG Drive, Sky Gamblers: Infinite Jets, Leo’s fortune, Sky Force, Radiation City, Infinite Tanks, GP Riptide Renegade, Morphite, Beat Sports, Modern Combat, Kill Shot, AfterPulse, Battle Supremacy,  Galaxy on Fire, Trials Frontier, Mr. Krab 2, Gods of Rome, Shadowmatic, Suicide Squad, Star Horizon

Future games(possibly) taking advantage of the A10X:
    Sky, Inside by Playdead, Where Cards Fall

Underrated Games to play:
    Yuri, Once Upon a Tower
    watto_cobramike54
  • Reply 4 of 8
    mike54 said:
    Apple should put more effort into gaming especially on the AppleTV. Can't Apple see the potential of gaming. Apple has loads of money. I'm sure they can have a dedicated department to push this. Apple has a good CPU and graphics base so push it to the max. Why are they holding back? iPhone iPhone iPhone, think outside the box.

The Steel Series controller for AppleTV is good quality and is the most comfortable (better than PS4/xbox) but it lacks accelerometer, gyro, vibration. Apple should partner with and release a fully featured game controller and have it as a reduced priced bundle for the AppleTV. 
    Apple has the best unused tech for TV:
    Taptic Engine, 3D Touch, Motion Chip, Kinect tech, AR, Apple Watch etc.

Taptic Engine for life like-haptics, 3D Touch for Siri Remote, M processor for fitness games, Yoga apps etc. Kinect-like tech for AR and party games, Apple Watch for it's various sensors, touch screen and pulse rate for horror games.

Nintendo Switch is running this exclusive beauty:

It's depressing to know an inferior console is running something that absolutely blows everything Apple TV is offering into the 90s.

Even simple ports that attract players are skipping Apple TV like Roblox, Almost all console Indies, iOS ports like The Talos Principle, Eisenhorn, Asphalt Extreme and Infinity Blade. This frustration has gotten to the point where I've been actively messaging developers for support and offering work since I compose music and my friend designs sound effects. That's how desperate I've become.
    williamlondonspliff monkeywatto_cobramike54
  • Reply 5 of 8
    I agree with ya’ll. Apple get off your ass!
    caliwatto_cobramike54
  • Reply 6 of 8
    I wish they’d port Journey to platforms other than Sony, but I guess that’s never happening.
    caliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 8
    I wish they’d port Journey to platforms other than Sony, but I guess that’s never happening.
    I wish they would port half the damn iOS library to TV. So many games are missing TV.
    watto_cobramike54williamlondon