Video: Apple iPhone X versus Samsung Galaxy Note 8 benchmark comparison

Comments

• Reply 21 of 45
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    Benchmarks, schmenchmarks.  In the real word every friend of mine has an Android phone, because I’m living in the Philippines where almost nobody, including most of the expats here, can afford an iPhone.  And what I see in everyday use is that the simplest action taken on those Androids compares horribly to my iPhone 6. And what action is that?  It’s something that people do many times every day.  The simple action of pinching to zoom a photo.  Seems like there’s something either amiss in the touch controller or somewhere deeper down, but I constantly see Androiders pinching two and three times before a picture will start to zoom, and then it suddenly zooms too far and they’re pinching back the other way.  On every iPhone I’ve had it’s buttery smooth.  What is it about the Android universe where this simple action can’t be nailed?  

I tried the exact same scenario in my Moto G5 Plus ($230) and I don't observe such an issue. Looks like your friends are stuck in 2013/14. Because even the mid-range Android phones (for about $200) in 2016/2017 have good enough performance to do the basic tasks without any hassle. They struggle only when the load is heavy which is expected for that price.

What is it about the Android universe where this simple action can’t be nailed? - Unless your friends are using 2+ years old devices which cost about <$200 back then, I can't imagine such a basic issue still to be persisting. Any $200 Android phone bought in 2016 or 2017 should not have that issue. At least I have not seen such a basic issue persist in MANY devices in the past 2 years. More than 2 years back - Yes, I did see such performance issues. Not anymore.

I’ve only lived in the Philippines one year, during which time I’ve bought my girlfriend a new Oppo phone, a new Samsung for her father, and a close friend bought a new Oppo for his girl and a Samsung J7 Prime for himself.  All four of those phones, plus several others I’ve witnessed in the hands of rather tech-conversant expat friends, have exhibited this issue.  They just scoff at my iPhone when I show them how smooth it is, telling me I paid a lot more.  It’s a three-year old iPhone 6.
    muthuk_vanalingamredgeminipachiawatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 45
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    What strikes me with these comparisons is not the "who's on top -- Apple vs Samsung" -- but the overall power of both....

Knowing that the A11 already compares favorably to the I5 mobile chips, I was a bit surprised to see the Samsung chips in the same ball park.

I am thinking that phones and tablets are on the verge of redefining what we know as computing and replacing laptops and, to a degree even desktop computing.  Or, more probably  pushing the conventional "computers" further into niche territory for specialty uses only...
    Right now, their wheels are still on the ground.  But, at some point, a Steve Jobs will appear and enable them to leave the ground and fly to new and unexplored vistas...  The power is there.  It's just waiting to be exploited for more than driving what we use phones for today.

radarthekat
  • Reply 23 of 45
    Benchmarks, schmenchmarks.  In the real word every friend of mine has an Android phone, because I’m living in the Philippines where almost nobody, including most of the expats here, can afford an iPhone.  And what I see in everyday use is that the simplest action taken on those Androids compares horribly to my iPhone 6. And what action is that?  It’s something that people do many times every day.  The simple action of pinching to zoom a photo.  Seems like there’s something either amiss in the touch controller or somewhere deeper down, but I constantly see Androiders pinching two and three times before a picture will start to zoom, and then it suddenly zooms too far and they’re pinching back the other way.  On every iPhone I’ve had it’s buttery smooth.  What is it about the Android universe where this simple action can’t be nailed?  

I tried the exact same scenario in my Moto G5 Plus ($230) and I don't observe such an issue. Looks like your friends are stuck in 2013/14. Because even the mid-range Android phones (for about $200) in 2016/2017 have good enough performance to do the basic tasks without any hassle. They struggle only when the load is heavy which is expected for that price.

What is it about the Android universe where this simple action can’t be nailed? - Unless your friends are using 2+ years old devices which cost about <$200 back then, I can't imagine such a basic issue still to be persisting. Any $200 Android phone bought in 2016 or 2017 should not have that issue. At least I have not seen such a basic issue persist in MANY devices in the past 2 years. More than 2 years back - Yes, I did see such performance issues. Not anymore.

I’ve only lived in the Philippines one year, during which time I’ve bought my girlfriend a new Oppo phone, a new Samsung for her father, and a close friend bought a new Oppo for his girl and a Samsung J7 Prime for himself.  All four of those phones, plus several others I’ve witnessed in the hands of rather tech-conversant expat friends, have exhibited this issue.  They just scoff at my iPhone when I show them how smooth it is, telling me I paid a lot more.  It’s a three-year old iPhone 6.

So I have to take back my comment that this should not exist in 2017 android phones for $200, since it does exist. Thank you for the details. So the whole issue seems to boil down to heavily skinned Android phones. You specifically mentioned Oppo and Samsung, but I can easily imagine other heavily skinned phones from Xioami, Vivo, Asus (just to name few) etc to have similar teething problems. But I have not seen this in Motorola mid-range phones in a long time (last 3 years). So you may want to recommend Motorola phones (G series or X series, they do look ugly though) or Xioami Mi A1 (stock Android, directly updated by Google) to your friends, because stock Android runs very smooth without ANY performance issues for quite sometime.

PS: Since this is AI, I will not waste your or anyone else's time on this sub-topic anymore. We can close this discussion right here.

radarthekat
  • Reply 24 of 45
    robjnrobjn Posts: 280member
    Are Samsung still cheating on the benchmark tests - it seems like they are called out for this every year. Typically, they have some script that recognizes the benchmark test and over-clocks the processor during the test.
    watto_cobracornchip
  • Reply 25 of 45
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    gatorguy said:
    They'll spin into "it doesn't matter". As the AI author alluded to both phones are so capable no one will notice in actual use. 
    And right on cue they’re doing it right now in this thread. When Apple was behind they trotted out every benchmark they could find and declared victory. Now the shoe is on the other foot and... it doesn’t matter because no one will notice in real world use. Apple fans tried to say the same thing (it doesn’t matter) and we’re laughed at as clueless iSheep. Look at what’s being said by them here. What benchmark are they gushing over? Why the one that shows Samsung either equal to or slightly ahead of Apple. 
    chiaradarthekatwatto_cobracornchip
  • Reply 26 of 45
    robjn said:
    Are Samsung still cheating on the benchmark tests - it seems like they are called out for this every year. Typically, they have some script that recognizes the benchmark test and over-clocks the processor during the test.

No, they are not doing it anymore as far as I know. Only OnePlus is doing it right now. No one else seems to be doing it.
  • Reply 27 of 45
    gatorguy said:
    sflocal said:
    It's an absolute embarrassment that Samsung with more cores does much worse than an iPhone with what is technically a "slower" chip.  Shameful.  It's a testament to Samsung's marketing brainwashing department to make people (you listening Fandroids) believe that Samsung has the lead in innovation.  

Clearly it is not.

Waiting to see how the Fandroids and iHaters will spin this into some kind of Apple conspiracy, like they've always done for each iPhone launch since Samsung starting producing iKnockoffs.
    They'll spin into "it doesn't matter". As the AI author alluded to both phones are so capable no one will notice in actual use. 
    Not so. It depends on the apps youre using. Last year's torture tests showed real world usage that was much faster for apps, especially in image and video processing (and yes, I've edited both on my phone while traveling home from vacations). And if you've played with the new Clips app on iOS with an X (yeah I know you don't even have an iPhone) then you'd see how incredibly resource-intensive the new no-greenscreen-needed VR scene generators are, which tax even the X. So no hologram-you on the Millennium Falcon anytime soon.

So yeah, claiming it doesn't matter is just more bullshit.
    edited November 2017 williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 45
    John Gruber explained it pretty well: specs aren't the only thing that matter, the experience is. iOS has had a superior experience even while the knockoffs touted their superior specs, which is why Apple fans said those specs didn't matter -- because they failed to parlay it into a better experience. Apple is now doing both: superior experience, and superior spec'd processors. So yes, the specs matter when your experience is already superior.

https://daringfireball.net/2017/09/iphone_x_event_thoughts_and_observations

You can’t bring this up in public without a certain segment of Android fans losing their goddamn minds over it. “I thought specs don’t matter?” they say, and point to articles I (or whoever else brings this up) wrote in the past arguing that specs aren’t the only thing that matters. Here’s the thing. I would still want to use an iPhone if Apple were using off-the-shelf Snapdragon processors and Samsung were the company producing these proprietary A-series systems-on-a-chip. It’s the same reason I remained a Mac user even during the years when Mac CPUs were hopelessly behind Intel’s in performance. For me, it’s the overall experience that matters, and that’s largely defined by the software platform.

But Samsung isn’t the company with the proprietary chips that blow away the industry commodity chips, Apple is. So iPhone users get the best in both regards: they get the iOS experience and Apple-designed hardware, and they get the vastly superior CPU and GPU. And Android users who want industry-leading performance are shit out of luck.
    edited November 2017 radarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 45
    lkrupp said:
    gatorguy said:
    And right on cue they’re doing it right now in this thread. When Apple was behind they trotted out every benchmark they could find and declared victory. Now the shoe is on the other foot and... it doesn’t matter because no one will notice in real world use. Apple fans tried to say the same thing (it doesn’t matter) and we’re laughed at as clueless iSheep. Look at what’s being said by them here. What benchmark are they gushing over? Why the one that shows Samsung either equal to or slightly ahead of Apple. 
    Why the one that shows Samsung either equal to or slightly ahead of Apple. - I am actually surprised that iPhone X is marginally losing to Samsung Note in 1 or 2 benchmarks. I don't think this would be the case with iPhone 8 or even 8 Plus. X seems to be using a much higher resolution internally than 8 Plus which seems to affect the benchmark scores.
  • Reply 30 of 45
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    satyavani said:
    Yes both devices are too powerful, and to each his own. Whatever the tests prove some people will swear by their Samsung, singing paeans of its technological innovation and some people will swear by their Apple citing performance boost benchmarks.
    Classic BS! Samsung sells MOSTLY cheap crap phones that underperform, and can’t or won’t get OS updates. That is where the majority of their unit sales fall. Stop trying to put them in the same league as Apple because they aren’t. And please do tell us about their “technological innovations” that have been oh so successful. Yes, one can say that many users of their high end phones are very satisfied, but one can conversely say that this is out of ignorance rather than reality. Good enough vs true innovation, superior design, and the marriage of hardwareware development with superior software development, and integration of the two.
    radarthekatwatto_cobracornchip
  • Reply 31 of 45
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator

So I have to take back my comment that this should not exist in 2017 android phones for $200, since it does exist. Thank you for the details. So the whole issue seems to boil down to heavily skinned Android phones. You specifically mentioned Oppo and Samsung, but I can easily imagine other heavily skinned phones from Xioami, Vivo, Asus (just to name few) etc to have similar teething problems. But I have not seen this in Motorola mid-range phones in a long time (last 3 years). So you may want to recommend Motorola phones (G series or X series, they do look ugly though) or Xioami Mi A1 (stock Android, directly updated by Google) to your friends, because stock Android runs very smooth without ANY performance issues for quite sometime.

PS: Since this is AI, I will not waste your or anyone else's time on this sub-topic anymore. We can close this discussion right here.

That’s good advice regarding stock Android.  Here in the Philippines I’ve become sensitive to the fact few can afford the price of a new iPhone, and generally we (those here with iPhones and those here with Androids) get along just fine.  I just keep unspoken Cook’s comment about Android being a smartphone training ground.  The iPhone here is very much coveted by many, but I think that’s more to do with it as a status symbol than any deep evaluation of its capabilities versus Android phones.  And Androids are perfectly fine smartphones that get the job done for a vast majority of their users.  
    edited November 2017 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 32 of 45
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    What strikes me with these comparisons is not the "who's on top -- Apple vs Samsung" -- but the overall power of both....

Knowing that the A11 already compares favorably to the I5 mobile chips, I was a bit surprised to see the Samsung chips in the same ball park.

I am thinking that phones and tablets are on the verge of redefining what we know as computing and replacing laptops and, to a degree even desktop computing.  Or, more probably  pushing the conventional "computers" further into niche territory for specialty uses only...
    Right now, their wheels are still on the ground.  But, at some point, a Steve Jobs will appear and enable them to leave the ground and fly to new and unexplored vistas...  The power is there.  It's just waiting to be exploited for more than driving what we use phones for today.

It's not really in the same ballpack, unless you are talking yesterdays tasks (barely if you are talking about today's tasks), then yes, even the SE does that almost as good and the point is moot then.
    Single core is much much much slower on any other phone than Apple.
    It's only close because Apple has started to play the multi core game (Apple often was "behind" for years at this time of year in multi core even though it didn't seem to make any difference on those phones because of the last of integration of SOC with OS).

When AR, ML and computational photography goes through the roof in the next 2 year, people will remember what slow is on Android phones.
    radarthekat
  • Reply 33 of 45
    lkrupp said:
    gatorguy said:
    Why the one that shows Samsung either equal to or slightly ahead of Apple. - I am actually surprised that iPhone X is marginally losing to Samsung Note in 1 or 2 benchmarks. I don't think this would be the case with iPhone 8 or even 8 Plus. X seems to be using a much higher resolution internally than 8 Plus which seems to affect the benchmark scores.
    The slightly ahead is in fact a statistical tie considering sampling, I just hate false facts.
    . Those few benchmarks rely on cores and the Note still has more than the X.
    In fact, these benchmarks are probably least relevant at all to an actual user.

In geekbench benchmarks the X came out over the 8+ I believe but thermals on the smaller phone are probably a bit more restricted than on the 8+ which means that heavy sustained processing like often in benchmarks could come out slightly lower.  Also, the X compared to the 8+ has more pixels to push I think and is doing more constant co-processing (face ID), which also buts more heat into the phone. 
  • Reply 34 of 45
    VRingVRing Posts: 108member
    foggyhill said:
    lkrupp said:
    gatorguy said:
    The slightly ahead is in fact a statistical tie considering sampling, I just hate false facts.
    The actual results for the Note 8 on that test are considerably higher from every single source that's not Apple Insider (including Futuremark).

3DMark uses the same physics engine as popular games, so it's actually quite relevant to real world performance.
    edited November 2017
  • Reply 35 of 45
    There is something wrong with the phone on the left.  It has a big ugly notch across the top of the screen.
    Which I don’t even notice while, you know, actually using it. You are under the mistaken impression that looking at pictures is the same as doing a thing. 
  • Reply 36 of 45
    VRing said:
    foggyhill said:
    lkrupp said:
    gatorguy said:
    The actual results for the Note 8 on that test are considerably higher from every single source that's not Apple Insider (including Futuremark).

3DMark uses the same physics engine as popular games, so it's actually quite relevant to real world performance.
    Well, give me your source buds, all of them so I can see if you're not pulling things out of your ass. If it comes from a moron on youtube, forget about and keep it to yourself.
  • Reply 37 of 45
    VRingVRing Posts: 108member
    foggyhill said:
    VRing said:
    foggyhill said:
    lkrupp said:
    gatorguy said:

Well, give me your source buds, all of them so I can see if you're not pulling things out of your ass. If it comes from a moron on youtube, forget about and keep it to yourself.
    Gladly. For reference, Apple Insider's score for the Note 8 running Sling Shot Extreme was 2614.

Futuremark (the makers of the 3DMark benchmark)
    • Sling Shot Extreme: 3602
    • Sling Shot Extreme Unlimited: 3975
    UL Benchmarks
    • Sling Shot Extreme: 3595
    • Sling Shot Extreme Unlimited: 3969
    Digital Trends
    • Sling Shot Extreme: 3577
    • Sling Shot Extreme Unlimited: Not Tested
    Hot Hardware
    • Sling Shot Extreme: Not Tested
    • Sling Shot Extreme Unlimited: 4068

As a number of sites use the "Unlimited" benchmark, I also posted those results to show consistency with the results on Futuremark's official page. Additionally, here are some numbers to compare for the iPhone X in this benchmark.

Futuremark's iPhone X scores:
    • Sling Shot Extreme: 2681
    • Sling Shot Extreme Unlimited: 3175
    edited November 2017 singularitygatorguy
  • Reply 38 of 45
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,911member
    cropr said:

Benchmarks are very important if the responsiveness is suffering and you have to wait longer than 0.5 sec or more for certain tasks to finish.  Benchmarks are less important if the responsiveness is very fast.  A user does not care if he has to wait 0.1 sec or 0.01 sec.  He won't notice the difference.  

That an iPhone X is faster than a Samsung Note 8 is great for Apple and its marketing department, but the time that any flagship phone was sluggish are long gone.  My iPhone 6 is fast enough for any task I am using it, and I assume that the same applies for the latest Samsung phones.  So basically I don't care that much about benchmarks.
    This. Benchmarks are only relevant in as much as they reflect real-world performance, which is very app specific. My 6s might not be quite as 'snappy' as a new 8 or X, but it is still plenty responsive. The other part of this equation is longevity. IME, iPhones have a longer usable life than Android phones (my 6s being a case in point.) Even when they get older and the performance starts to become an issue, they tend to remain quite usable longer than android phones do. 
    radarthekatcornchip
  • Reply 39 of 45

That’s good advice regarding stock Android.  Here in the Philippines I’ve become sensitive to the fact few can afford the price of a new iPhone, and generally we (those here with iPhones and those here with Androids) get along just fine.  I just keep unspoken Cook’s comment about Android being a smartphone training ground.  The iPhone here is very much coveted by many, but I think that’s more to do with it as a status symbol than any deep evaluation of its capabilities versus Android phones.  And Androids are perfectly fine smartphones that get the job done for a vast majority of their users.  
    I suspect that that mostly depends on what "job" they are asked to perform.
    And that, in turn, will depend on how much money you can afford to spend.

I think for most American Apple fans, cost is also significant factor.  But their expectations of what they want it to do and how it does it are higher.   Yes, for some, it is a status symbol.  But I doubt that Apple could survive if that were the only reason for buying an Apple product.

• Reply 40 of 45
    foggyhill said:

It's not really in the same ballpack, unless you are talking yesterdays tasks (barely if you are talking about today's tasks), then yes, even the SE does that almost as good and the point is moot then.
    Single core is much much much slower on any other phone than Apple.
    It's only close because Apple has started to play the multi core game (Apple often was "behind" for years at this time of year in multi core even though it didn't seem to make any difference on those phones because of the last of integration of SOC with OS).

When AR, ML and computational photography goes through the roof in the next 2 year, people will remember what slow is on Android phones.
    The iPhone opened up a whole new set of "tasks".   That doesn't make the original job of computers obsolete.   They are just two different sets of tasks that, so far, have required two different sets of computers.  But, as the power of the mobile computer grows, it will begin to take over the tasks that were once the realm of the older platforms.

That is:
    Just as the laptop has encroached on the once sacred territory of the desktop, the phone will be encroaching on the once sacred territory of laptop.   And, hilariously, while that's happening, the watch will be encroaching on the once sacred territory of the phone!  
    ...  It's the world of nature in reverse:  Where the small fish gets to eat the big fish.