GymKit for Apple Watch makes global debut in Australia

Posted:
in Apple Watch
Apple's director of Fitness and Health technologies, Jay Blahnik, was on hand in Sydney this week to showcase the first gym equipped for GymKit, a technology introduced alongside watchOS 4.1.

The gym is operated by Fitness First, a global chain currently deploying GymKit-ready machines in both Sydney and Melbourne. In a demonstration for 9News, a woman paired her Apple Watch with an NFC reader on a treadmill, which triggered a prompt on her Watch to start her workout.

GymKit performs two-way sync of data such as distance, speed, floors climbed, incline, and estimated calories burned. This enables more precise tracking of workouts, though the technology is currently limited to cardio equipment -- namely treadmills, ellipticals, stationary bikes, and stair-steppers. Manufacturers Life Fitness, Matrix, StairMaster, Schwinn, and TechnoGym have promised support.

Machines can also show Watch data such as heart rate on their displays, which may be more convenient during an intense session.

Once a workout is over, all data is saved to the Watch before the gym equipment resets.

watchOS 4.1 was released at the end of October, and primarily introduced support for streaming Apple Music and online radio stations without an iPhone.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    This would indeed be useful! Although I run outdoors mostly, I can still see this being useful for folks who do indoors cardio.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 7
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    tzm41 said:
    This would indeed be useful! Although I run outdoors mostly, I can still see this being useful for folks who do indoors cardio.
    If Apple could get someone like Planet Fitness to add this to their equipment that would be even better. The issue there is I think Planet Fitness is a franchise so they'd have to get the owners to add this in. 
    edited November 2017 watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 7
    BebeBebe Posts: 145member
    This is awesome.  I do outdoor cycling mostly but planning of getting a stationary bike for the wifey.  It would be really nice if there is one that will be compatible with the AppleWatch. :*
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 7
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,152member
    Interested to know if gym kit is compatible with iFit enabled machines. Pretty similar function.

Edit: hmm: looking at a channel nine feature it needs an NFC reader attachment to the equipment, looks retrofitted although others it looks an integrated feature in the equipment.
    edited November 2017 watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 7
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member

I was a member of Fitness First, but after I didn't go there for a while, I dropped the membership. Despite their near-global reputation for being difficult to quit, I had no trouble, but I was disconcerted that if my credit card authorisation expired, they wouldn't let me use the gym until I renewed it, yet letting it expire didn't stop them taking the money every fortnight. If I were in the market for a gym at the moment, I'd be more inclined to go to one of the 24 hour ones nearby, since sticking to normal hours is too inconvenient.

Another thing I know about Fitness First is that they love a publicity stunt, so I'm not surprised they jumped on GymKit so early. Also got to love Channel 9 for sending their one journalist in a suit. I've seen plenty of their reporters in much more casual gear, as warranted by the story, but the announcement of a gym fitout, they send the guy in the suit.

cornchip
  • Reply 6 of 7
    I suppose for people who feel they have a need for these charts and stats, this is a good thing. Personally, I like to workout until I'm tired. Nothing scientific about it, but it seems to work for me.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    that's very cool! i hope that i there is at least one of this in my country! :(