New Apple video blurs the line between iPad Pro and computer, repeats Steve Jobs 'post-PC'...

Posted:
in iPad
Apple has published a new YouTube video, and with it is repeating the message that "a post-PC world may be closer than you think."

The video depicts what appears to be a student working on her iPad Pro on the go, and using it as not only a documentation tool, but as an entertainment, productivity and art-generating device as well. At the conclusion of the video, the blurring the lines between the iPad and a computer is addressed in a single line of dialog.

Apple founder Steve Jobs popularized the phrase "post-PC" in 2010 in a series of interviews.

"When we were an agrarian nation, all cars were trucks. But as people moved more towards urban centers, people started to get into cars. I think PCs are going to be like trucks. Less people will need them. And this transformation is going to make some people uneasy... because the PC has taken us a long way," said Steve Jobs in an interview with Walt Mossberg in 2010. "They were amazing. But it changes. Vested interests are going to change. And, I think we've embarked on that change. Is it the iPad? Who knows? Will it be next year or five years? ... We like to talk about the post-PC era, but when it really starts to happen, it's uncomfortable."
Soli

Comments

• Reply 1 of 63
    brilliant. makes me want to really consider an ipad pro as my main computing device.
    vukasikamacguicaliwatto_cobraAirunJae
  • Reply 2 of 63
    appexappex Posts: 687member
    A real computer? Get a Mac! Apple should make a Mac tablet.
    xzumuthuk_vanalingambsenka
  • Reply 3 of 63
    What’s a computer?

The last sentence is not a dramatization or humour. It represents a whole young Touch generation. Many of that generation cannot use a mouse or trackpad and are not even interested in those.
    radarthekatcaliRacerhomieXjony0
  • Reply 4 of 63
    appex said:
    A real computer? Get a Mac! Apple should make a Mac tablet.
    Apple won’t make a Surface. Get over it...
    iqatedomacxpressjbdragonroundaboutnowandrewj5790calibrucemcxzuSoliRacerhomieX
  • Reply 5 of 63
    What’s a computer? 

Well... one answer is a device where you can have more than one document/file open in an app at the same time. 

Another answer is a device where you can create the apps that people use on iPads and iPhones. 

Actually, there are a lot of answers like those. 

Having said that, though, I love my iPad Pro and I appreciate Apple’s approach with the iPad of starting simple and then only adding complexity as needed. More complexity needs to be added, but I like the approach. Eventually Apple will (hopefully) arrive at a device (or family of devices) that meets the needs of 99% of users with noticeably less unnecessary complexity than a Mac or PC. 
    xzucgWerkswatto_cobraspliff monkey
  • Reply 6 of 63
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,415member
    I cannot use iPad for programming. It's not feasible.
    hmurchison
  • Reply 7 of 63
    blastdoor said:
    What’s a computer? 

its a thing that allows you to do the things you want to do even if those things are not the same things that every other person you know does. and if you can do those things on a tablet then folks need to STFU and let you use that tablet and not tell you that you need a 'real computer' simply because that's what they decided was better since its what they need to do the things they want to do

and that was basically Steve's comment back in 2010, that not everyone is going to need the same tools to do what they want to do
    edited November 2017 chiad_2radarthekatcaliwatto_cobraMartin57tmay
  • Reply 8 of 63
    I have 5k 27" iMac on my desk at my home office. For all my business travel, the only device I travel with is an iPad Pro.  I bounce back & forth between the 10.5 and 12.9 in terms of which I like the most but either gets the job done just fine, especially since the release of iOS 11.  We have reached the point in my company in which new staff are given LTE enabled iPad Pro 12.9's rather than computers.  No multi-tasking complaints here.  I find that most peoples idea of multi-tasking is a thinly veiled excuse for half-assing several projects at once. There are only 1-2 iMacs at each office at best, no Windows machines at all period. Everything else is achieved with the iPads only.
    radarthekatcaliRacerhomieXwatto_cobratmayAirunJae
  • Reply 9 of 63
    Steve whiffed on this analogy - in 2017 the top 3 selling vehicles are pick-up trucks.
    cgWerksking editor the grate
  • Reply 10 of 63
    The real question is... 'Why a computer?'

Really.

How many people 'compute'?

Most people 'interact'   they don't compute... so they need an interaction device. something to communicate/interpret/assist/enhance stuff around me or far away.

People who 'compute' are the 1 percent... the truck drivers in the other Jobsian metaphor.  We need them, and they need 'trucks,' but their vehicles shouldn't define my experience.  

and all those who want a 'mac tablet'...  you're asking for a Kenworth engine and transmission in a tesla.  get over it.

edited November 2017 brucemcwatto_cobraAirunJae
  • Reply 11 of 63
    netrox said:
    Who says you have to?
    StrangeDaysAirunJae
  • Reply 12 of 63
    "What's a computer?"

OOOOOOOH SNAP!  B)
    Soli
  • Reply 13 of 63
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    Step by step....
    it already has a processor as powerful as a laptop
    it already has as much storage as a laptop
    it already has a file system
    it already has an external keyboard

when will it get a touchpad on the keyboard?
    ...  soon I suspect.  

And, as Steve predicted, the “computer” guys will weep. 

Oh wait!   That won’t happen!   The iPad is for games and videos - not real “computer guy” stuff!
    andrewj5790caliradarthekattmayAirunJae
  • Reply 14 of 63
    Yeah, lot's of "work" getting done in that video.
    brucemccgWerks
  • Reply 15 of 63
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,305member
    netrox said:
    Yet!   It'll get there.  I love my new 12.9" iPad pro.  iOS11 has added quite a few iPad tricks.  I use mine daily at home and work and a few other places.  I have my windows 10 desktop at home with a 34” ultra-wide monitor, yet still, on my iPad fit many thinks and using it around my house.  Glad I decided to go with the largest one.
    edited November 2017 xzuSoli
  • Reply 16 of 63
    d_2d_2 Posts: 117member
    That’s a great commercial, especially for informing the “original iOS touch crowd”*

* Maybe I’m the only one that simply knows the iOS touch capabilities of my iPad Air and iPhone, and thus iOS 11 on an iPad Pro is something I need to see / use in person to understand, with this commercial a way to get me interested in doing so...
    Soli
  • Reply 17 of 63
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,350member
    blastdoor said:
    Actually, there are a lot of answers like those. 
    Which is why context is important. At least to critical thinking.

What’s a computer?

The last sentence is not a dramatization or humour. It represents a whole young Touch generation. Many of that generation cannot use a mouse or trackpad and are not even interested in those.
    Because they don't have to and know how to get along without either for their use case. Again, context makes a difference.

2774 said:
    Steve whiffed on this analogy - in 2017 the top 3 selling vehicles are pick-up trucks.
    Some people buy a truck because they need a truck and a car just won't do. A lot of people buy a truck because of the way it makes them feel and how they perceive others seeing them. There's a lot of the latter in the computer domain. If 'looks' didn't matter I expect fewer trucks would be sold.

For those people, a 'computer' is their geek/nerd/power user badge equivalent of a jacked-up 4WD truck or at least a F-350, though an F-150 is clearly superior to a Miata. At least if we ignore context.

Steve was way way ahead of the curve with his analogy, and that for 90% of us, the iPad or some other tablet/non-Surface type device could and will be the future.

Nothing wrong with buying a truck when a car or bike will do. That's a user's choice. Trying to pass it off as superior in that situation is disingenuous, though and only fools a few people.

roundaboutnowbrucemccornchipSolichiaMartin57tmay
  • Reply 18 of 63
    xzuxzu Posts: 139member
    There is a difference between a shovel and a hammer. I need both.

I love my iPad Pro, but I need a Mac desktop to do a lot of other things. Apple refuses to combine to combine a Mac and an iPad... like a Surface Pro, which i understand, but I hope they keep updating Macs or my business is in trouble. 
    cornchipcgWerksmuthuk_vanalingamtmay
  • Reply 19 of 63
    2774 said:
    YOU whiffed on your analogy; if the three top-selling vehicles are pickup trucks, does that mean most people drive pickup trucks? Nope. Not even close. It means that those three models sell more individual items than any other vehicle models. It may or may not mean that all other vehicle models outsell those three by a large margin.
    radarthekatcalicornchipSoliRayz2016Martin57StrangeDays
  • Reply 20 of 63
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    2774 said:
    Yet still the majority drive something other than a pick-up truck.  He wasn’t off base at all. 
    cornchipcaliSolichiaMartin57StrangeDays