Tesla unveils new Semi with a 500 mile range, Roadster that can hit 250 miles per hour

Posted:
in General Discussion edited November 2017
Elon Musk's Tesla has debuted its semi truck that was previously expected with a 500 mile range between charges, and also unveiled a new roadster capable of going 620 miles -- with the ability to go zero to 60 miles per hour in 1.9 seconds.

Tesla unveiled the Tesla Semi at the event, with CEO Elon Musk describing it as "designed like a bullet." The truck has a 500-mile range, and can use one of the company's Megacharger locations to give it a 400-mile charge in 30 minutes.

Other technologies included in the Tesla Semi include Enhanced Autopilot like in the rest of the Tesla line of vehicles. Drivers benefit from a large interior with a centered driver position, as opposed to one offset to the left like the rest of the U.S. trucking industry.

The Tesla Semi has four motors, with only two required to keep the truck on the road. Musk guarantees that the vehicle will not break down for a million miles -- but what exactly that guarantee encompasses is not clear at this point.

Tesla claims that the truck can go from zero to 60 miles per hour in five seconds when empty, and in 20 seconds when loaded with 80,000 pounds of goods.

Pricing and specific availability is not yet known.

New Tesla Roadster

According to Musk, the new Roadster will be "the fastest production car ever made, period." Little else is known as far as concrete details at this point -- but the car will finish a quarter mile from a stop in 8.9 seconds.

The vehicle has four seats for passengers. Pricing for it is not yet available.
ben20lostkiwigatorguy

Comments

• Reply 1 of 140
    This is pretty impressive, and surprising if you consider the new roadster. I would really like to know what a fleet manager or someone who drives trucks thinks of Tesla’s semi truck. I also would like to know the prices, will the roadster cost more than the semi truck?  
    SoliRacerhomieXdoozydozen
  • Reply 2 of 140
    "This will be the fastest production car ever" is not the same as "once we think we can actually make this in 3 years it'll be the fastest ever." Anyone can go up and throw out random numbers for an over designed car. I could pretty easily get you a 1000HP car made if you told me I had three years to make it and unlimited money even if my company never posts a profit. My point: "we can do this in three years" does not equal "look at what we made!"
    radarthekatwilliamlondonhmurchisonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 140
    flydogflydog Posts: 1,123member
    How is this article relevant to Apple products?
    SpamSandwichdoozydozenwilliamlondonfred1redgeminiparandominternetpersonmdriftmeyerwatto_cobraviclauyyctallest skil
  • Reply 4 of 140
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    Is this thing AI? If so... "designed like a bullet." - and more dangerous than one too!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 140
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Who the fuck cares. The way he's going he's to be bankrupt within 3 years.

tmaywilliamlondonlongpathbrucemcmdriftmeyerwatto_cobracornchip
  • Reply 6 of 140
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    applesos said:
    "This will be the fastest production car ever" is not the same as "once we think we can actually make this in 3 years it'll be the fastest ever." Anyone can go up and throw out random numbers for an over designed car. I could pretty easily get you a 1000HP car made if you told me I had three years to make it and unlimited money even if my company never posts a profit. My point: "we can do this in three years" does not equal "look at what we made!"
    You can pooh-pooh it all you want, but it wouldn't be the first time they've had the fastest production car.
    bloggerblogpscooter63lostkiwi
  • Reply 7 of 140
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,315member
    So the Semi can cover 400miles every 6hours if the only break the driver takes is the 30min recharge.
    I guess they geared this around Fatigue recommendations.
    longpathlostkiwi
  • Reply 8 of 140
    LukeCage said:
    This is pretty impressive, and surprising if you consider the new roadster. I would really like to know what a fleet manager or someone who drives trucks thinks of Tesla’s semi truck. I also would like to know the prices, will the roadster cost more than the semi truck?  
    I did, just because I was interested in learning how to drive them and what it was like to be an OTR driver.

flydog said:
    Apple is rumoured to be building their own car.

foggyhill said:
    Who the fuck cares. The way he's going he's to be bankrupt within 3 years.

1) I fucking care. I like innovation. I like progress. I fucking love technology.

2) Musk will be bankrupt by 16 Nov 2020? I'll take that bet. I'll even take the bet that Tesla will still be in operation on 16 Nov 2020.
    mattinozfotoformatsergiozroundaboutnowdoozydozenminicoffeeslprescottmuthuk_vanalingamiqatedocaladanian
  • Reply 9 of 140
    d_2d_2 Posts: 118member
    I truly weep for the generations to come that will have no idea what driving an automobile with a real, gasoline engine feels like... and somehow this is progress :/
    longpath
  • Reply 10 of 140
    mattinoz said:
    So the Semi can cover 400miles every 6hours if the only break the driver takes is the 30min recharge.
    I guess they geared this around Fatigue recommendations.
    Stopping at a truck stop for 30 minutes is typical. Even if you fill up, that's about 10 minutes right there because you're filling up two very large tanks on both sides. Then you're likely to go in to use the bathroom and possibly get something to eat, and since these vehicles are large, this usually mean parking and walking a fair distance so another 10 minutes is easily doable, which isn't such a bad thing after sitting for several hours. This means that if you can park once and leave it there for a half-an-hour you may even save a little time, especially if it's your every-other-day trip to the shower rental at the truck stop to freshen up.

The more difficult part will be to get truck stops to install outlets from trucks. Some are already primed for that as they have TVs, power outlets, and air blowers on an adjustable telescoping arm to bring up to your side window (or used to be, but that may've changed with the iPad and cellular data becoming ubiquitous).

Drivers are allowed to "work" for 14 consecutive hours in which 11 of those hours can be driving, but only after being off duty for at least 10 consecutive hours and then being off duty for 10 consecutive hours after that. Usually your drives are planned out by stops so you're not likely to do that. However, as previously mentioned there will need to be the proper stops so that you can recharge, so this will only benefit companies that are going specific routes for (likely) several years, because of this temporary limitation.

PS: The first time I ever drove in snow, in the mountains, or had to put chains on tires was driving a semi.

edited November 2017 fotoformatmattinozwreighvenneo-techpscooter63lostkiwi
  • Reply 11 of 140
    JFC_PAJFC_PA Posts: 932member
    Interesting tech though I’m more excited about his roofing tiles. 

T. Boone Pickens had targeted semi’s for natural gas as part of his emission reduction plans when he was leaning big into wind farms but electric coupled to renewable generation for semi’s would be even better. 
    edited November 2017
  • Reply 12 of 140
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    Soli said:
    You can pooh-pooh it all you want, but it wouldn't be the first time they've had the fastest production car.
    The biggest problem is that it's more straight-line acceleration and rather short-lived compared to other performance cars. I wonder if the roadster will fix some of that. The S, as cool as it is, is a pretty darn big, heavy car.

d_2 said:
    I truly weep for the generations to come that will have no idea what driving an automobile with a real, gasoline engine feels like... and somehow this is progress :/
    I'm more worried about AI and legislation in that regard, than I am EVs. I think I could get used to this: :)

andyorkneydoozydozen
  • Reply 13 of 140
    d_2 said:
    Right, it’s so sad they’ll never have to deal with oil changes, fluid leaks, generally spewing noxious gases into the air we breathe, transmission issues, radiators, going through brake pads, and all the other moving parts that keep dancing-bear internal combustion engine cars rolling. They do make that neat vroom vroom noise though, so I guess you have a point. *I own and love a Honda S2000, so this comment is only 95% snark.
    Soliroundaboutnowdoozydozenmuthuk_vanalingamnamechanged - contact staffbeowulfschmidtiqatedomrboba1wreighvenanantksundaram
  • Reply 14 of 140
    JFC_PA said:
    Interesting tech though I’m more excited about his roofing tiles. 

T. Boone Pickens had targeted semi’s for natural gas as part of his emission reduction plans when he was leaning big into wind farms but electric coupled to renewable generation for semi’s would be even better. 
    If EV semis get common enough and solar panels get cheap enough, we could see solar panels on the top of trailers. I think that's more than most homes have. I doubt that by today's standards that would result in a net gain whilst driving at 55mph*, but it would surely allow you to drive longer and even charge whilst parked if you end up sleeping during the day.

* Trucking companies typically make the max by adding governors, which could be easily replicated with SW if that's the ideal speed, which it might not be since the remarkably low drag coefficient could allow that to be raised a bit.
    JFC_PA
  • Reply 15 of 140
    Real artists ship.
    doozydozenwilliamlondonanantksundaramrandominternetpersonbrucemctokyojimukamilton
  • Reply 16 of 140
    The future profit is in eliminating the need to travel or transport. Testorone-driven marketing of this kind looks very last century in retrospect.
    edited November 2017 radarthekatbikertwinwilliamlondonhmurchisonmdriftmeyer
  • Reply 17 of 140
    . . .

doozydozenGG1
  • Reply 18 of 140
    lukeilukei Posts: 379member
    flydog said:
    Because Elon Musk will Be Apple CEO after they buy his businesses?
    AI_liasjeff_cooktyler82
  • Reply 19 of 140
    timmillea said:
    The future profit is in eliminating the need to travel or transport. Testorone-driven marketing of this kind looks very last century in retrospect.
    Let us know what you can produce a teleporter that will be in every location so that nothing ever needs to be transported. Until then, we're still going to have about 80% of all cargo moved by trucks, and that's not likely to decrease because when a market diminishes due to the digital age we tend to see the effects in all areas of transportation. For example, less paper and less mail means fewer trucks, but it also means fewer trains, planes, boats, and even people on bikes, walking or how ever else one many transport a physical item.
    cgWerksmuthuk_vanalingammike1viclauyyc
  • Reply 20 of 140
    I have no faith in whatever Elon Musk says. Believe it when I see it. Same goes for the Tesla 3
    williamlondontmaybrucemcmdriftmeyer