New Apple video blurs the line between iPad Pro and computer, repeats Steve Jobs 'post-PC'...

Comments

• Reply 21 of 63
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    appex said:
    A real computer? Get a Mac! Apple should make a Mac tablet.
    Please. Go. Away.
    caliSoliwatto_cobrachiaMartin57
  • Reply 22 of 63
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator

I use my Macbook only for doing my taxes. The other 364 days of the year it sits in the closet.  For those who think an iPad can’t be used for work, I use my iPad, and occasionally my iPhone, to manage my multi-million $ investment portfolio.  I created sophisticated multi-tab spreadsheets on the iPad under Numbers and keep them up-to-date to manage all my investments, perform what-if analysis, and track the progress of time-sensitive investments like options, all of which can be done better and to my own specifications and parameters in my spreadsheets versus using the online screens and tools provided in my brokerage account.  iPad is not a computer my ass!

There’s plenty else I do on my iPad, including plenty of writing.  I’ll never go back to being tethered to sitting in a chair in front of a flat surface (tabletop, desk)required for use of a PC.  The iPad is perfect for managing my life, from wherever I choose to perch.

edited November 2017 caliSoliSpamSandwichwatto_cobrachiaMartin57tmay
  • Reply 23 of 63
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Beautiful Apple commercial.

And to those who say iPad doesn’t need a nice camera, this commercial shows a good reason why it does. I wanna see people make movies on these and they need the best.

iPads need to replace retail POS systems and hospital screens. Let’s go Apple!

Let’s hope Apple takes iPad more seriously and makes huge advancement in 2018!
    Soliwatto_cobraMartin57AirunJae
  • Reply 24 of 63
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,949member
    What’s a computer?

The last sentence is not a dramatization or humour. It represents a whole young Touch generation. Many of that generation cannot use a mouse or trackpad and are not even interested in those.
    Well, I’ve been saying for a decade now “it’s not a computer. It’s a Mac”! But I’ll never forget walking into the off-brand Apple store in my town to pick up a case for our then-new iPad 2. Our 2yo (at the time) had played around with it a little (not even that much) and when she passed by the kids table she tried to swipe the iMac screen. It was at that moment I realized we were entering a very different era that that which I grew up in.

pdbreske said:
    2774 said:
    Steve whiffed on this analogy - in 2017 the top 3 selling vehicles are pick-up trucks.
    YOU whiffed on your analogy; if the three top-selling vehicles are pickup trucks, does that mean most people drive pickup trucks? Nope. Not even close. It means that those three models sell more individual items than any other vehicle models. It may or may not mean that all other vehicle models outsell those three by a large margin.

Nothing like knee jerk comments on the internet.

edited November 2017 AirunJae
  • Reply 25 of 63
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    The real question is... 'Why a computer?'

Really.

How many people 'compute'?

Most people 'interact'   they don't compute... so they need an interaction device. something to communicate/interpret/assist/enhance stuff around me or far away.

People who 'compute' are the 1 percent... the truck drivers in the other Jobsian metaphor.  We need them, and they need 'trucks,' but their vehicles shouldn't define my experience.  

and all those who want a 'mac tablet'...  you're asking for a Kenworth engine and transmission in a tesla.  get over it.

I don't have an iPad Pro but there is no way I can use my air for much work related stuff. I am sure the pro is a lot better but I rarely have less than 10 apps open and I need to spread out. I find 27" tight at times. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 63
    wozwozwozwoz Posts: 263member
    Noob doesn't even know what a computer is. Throw out your doodle board, grow up and get yourself a Mac.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 63
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    I think this video maybe explains the Mac situation quite a bit. The question is why the back-peddling more recently and tossing a bone to the Mac users? Did they mis-judge how long it would take until they could complete the transition? If this is how they are thinking, it does explain a lot. And, then the subtext is... if you're still a 'truck' person, maybe go look at what Microsoft and Dell are offering?

Step by step....
    it already has a processor as powerful as a laptop
    it already has as much storage as a laptop
    it already has a file system
    it already has an external keyboard

when will it get a touchpad on the keyboard?
    ...  soon I suspect.  

And, as Steve predicted, the “computer” guys will weep. 

Oh wait!   That won’t happen!   The iPad is for games and videos - not real “computer guy” stuff!
    Umm... then it will be a computer (silly definition of the term, but we know what they mean). What differentiates an iDevice and a Mac currently is more about the OS and UX/UI than the physical form factor. If I add a keyboard to an iPad (which I did for a couple of years, btw), it doesn't equal a Mac in workflow or capability.

The car/truck analogy is actually fairly good. Both are vehicles. Both get you places. But, each have their distinct purposes as well. Is Apple trying to tell us (force us?) no one needs trucks anymore (but just a few... and we don't need to make those for those few anymore)? I love my BMW, but when I'm doing yard-work or renovations on the house, the Tundra is pretty darn handy to have around!

And, while I could conceivably get a large percentage of my work done on an iPad, it isn't nearly as efficient and is a completely different workflow. There's no way it could be as efficient as it currently is. That's not because the iPad isn't powerful enough, it a matter of software/UI.

muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 28 of 63
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member

2774 said:
    Steve whiffed on this analogy - in 2017 the top 3 selling vehicles are pick-up trucks.
    Yet still the majority drive something other than a pick-up truck.  He wasn’t off base at all. 
    The context is important too... he was saying initially everything was a truck (is that accurate?) and we've been transitioning towards cars.... not that we're nearly 100% car. Which, might be the mistake Apple is making in applying his analogy. There are a lot of truck years left, and hopefully Apple doesn't prematurely leave that industry, like they have a recent tendency to do with certain technologies (audio jack, TB2 on Mac Pro, USB-C w/ no other ports, etc.).
  • Reply 29 of 63
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    blastdoor said:
    What’s a computer? 

Well... one answer is a device where you can have more than one document/file open in an app at the same time. 

Another answer is a device where you can create the apps that people use on iPads and iPhones. 

Actually, there are a lot of answers like those. 

Having said that, though, I love my iPad Pro and I appreciate Apple’s approach with the iPad of starting simple and then only adding complexity as needed. More complexity needs to be added, but I like the approach. Eventually Apple will (hopefully) arrive at a device (or family of devices) that meets the needs of 99% of users with noticeably less unnecessary complexity than a Mac or PC. 
    Another answer is a human being that solves equations. See, Hidden Figures (2016).
    tmay
  • Reply 30 of 63
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    What’s a computer?

The last sentence is not a dramatization or humour. It represents a whole young Touch generation. Many of that generation cannot use a mouse or trackpad and are not even interested in those.
    Yep.

It's amazing that after 8 years of iPads there is no real competitor in the space. So much so that people refer to all such tablets as iPads. The MS Surface doesn't count for a variety of reasons.
    edited November 2017 chiatmay
  • Reply 31 of 63
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    So … she didn’t make into school then! 😡

But a really great ad. 
  • Reply 32 of 63
    rosse59 said:
    Yeah......no, no way that kid will ever get mugged for his/her iPad Pro.... n'uh uh.... no way
    The iPad Pro also doubles as a weapon/shield in case of a physical confrontation.
  • Reply 33 of 63
    I have been using ipad as the only device in working. Recently my screen keep not response (iPad Pro 12.9 inch, latest generation) , then i google the problem. Found this thread: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8004224?start=0&tstart=0 

8 pages of people complaint the screen not responsive....what Can I do with 120 Hz refresh rate & Promotion technology if the screen is freezing? Give me back the 60 hz and let me keep scrolling.....ߘ᦬t;br>

Our post pc generation seem like not stable at all. 
    edited November 2017
  • Reply 34 of 63
    Over my Cold Dead hands!!!!!
  • Reply 35 of 63
    chiachia Posts: 713member
    appex said:
    A real computer? Get a Mac! Apple should make a Mac tablet.
    If you truly needed or even wanted a Mac tablet, you would have bought a ModBook Pro already.
    http://www.modbook.com/modbookpro

The mass demand for such a device just isn’t there: Apple is better off focusing its resources on delivering and improving upon the products people want.
    Martin57tmaytallest skilAirunJae
  • Reply 36 of 63
    cgWerks said:
    I think this video maybe explains the Mac situation quite a bit. The question is why the back-peddling more recently and tossing a bone to the Mac users? Did they mis-judge how long it would take until they could complete the transition? If this is how they are thinking, it does explain a lot. And, then the subtext is... if you're still a 'truck' person, maybe go look at what Microsoft and Dell are offering?

Step by step....

...  soon I suspect.  

Oh wait!   That won’t happen!   The iPad is for games and videos - not real “computer guy” stuff!
    Umm... then it will be a computer (silly definition of the term, but we know what they mean). What differentiates an iDevice and a Mac currently is more about the OS and UX/UI than the physical form factor. If I add a keyboard to an iPad (which I did for a couple of years, btw), it doesn't equal a Mac in workflow or capability.

The car/truck analogy is actually fairly good. Both are vehicles. Both get you places. But, each have their distinct purposes as well. Is Apple trying to tell us (force us?) no one needs trucks anymore (but just a few... and we don't need to make those for those few anymore)? I love my BMW, but when I'm doing yard-work or renovations on the house, the Tundra is pretty darn handy to have around!

And, while I could conceivably get a large percentage of my work done on an iPad, it isn't nearly as efficient and is a completely different workflow. There's no way it could be as efficient as it currently is. That's not because the iPad isn't powerful enough, it a matter of software/UI.

So what? The software/UI is specifically tailored for Touch interaction. You cannot attach a mouse to an iPad as you cannot attach a touchscreen to a Mac. This is not a matter of efficiency, this is a matter of oranges to apples.

I am typing this comment on my iPhone, you could type it faster on your Mac keyboard. But I am typing this while walking, which of us is more efficient right now?
  • Reply 37 of 63
    27742774 Posts: 12member
    pdbreske said:
    2774 said:
    YOU whiffed on your analogy; if the three top-selling vehicles are pickup trucks, does that mean most people drive pickup trucks? Nope. Not even close. It means that those three models sell more individual items than any other vehicle models. It may or may not mean that all other vehicle models outsell those three by a large margin.
    Well, in 2010 (the year of Steve's quote) US pick-up truck sales were about 1.6m and in 2016 they increased to about 2.7m.  Looks like YOU whiffed.
    king editor the grate
  • Reply 38 of 63
    cgWerks said:

Step by step....

...  soon I suspect.  

So what? The software/UI is specifically tailored for Touch interaction. You cannot attach a mouse to an iPad as you cannot attach a touchscreen to a Mac. This is not a matter of efficiency, this is a matter of oranges to apples.

I am typing this comment on my iPhone, you could type it faster on your Mac keyboard. But I am typing this while walking, which of us is more efficient right now?
    Uh, you can add a touch screen to a Mac. It’s called duet display. The software allows an iPad to extend the screen when connected to a Mac. It is such elegant software. On the iPad portion of the screen, touch capability is imparted to Mac OS. 

It works best on Macs with capable GPUs. The integrated Intel GPUs are marginal although the more recent ones seem to do the job adequately. 
  • Reply 39 of 63
    This is largely futile, but when we were agrarian society, there were no motor vehicles. Industrialization is what made them possible, and the Model T was a lot more successful than any early truck. It was probably the silliest thing I heard him say.
  • Reply 40 of 63
    cgWerks said:

Step by step....

...  soon I suspect.  

Uh, you can add a touch screen to a Mac. It’s called duet display. The software allows an iPad to extend the screen when connected to a Mac. It is such elegant software. On the iPad portion of the screen, touch capability is imparted to Mac OS. 

It works best on Macs with capable GPUs. The integrated Intel GPUs are marginal although the more recent ones seem to do the job adequately. 
    This is not a touchscreen what you attach to Mac, this is iPad. The touch interaction is provided by iOS on the iPad, not by macOS on the Mac. What you get with that “touchscreen” is a crippled mouse emulation, it never compares to true mouse or trackpad interaction. That doesn’t make it “touch interface”, macOS is built on the mouse interface, not touch. True touch interface is iOS.
    edited November 2017 Solichia