Time includes iPhone X in its list of '25 Best Inventions of 2017'

Posted:
in iPhone
Time Magazine has named the iPhone X as one of the '25 Best Inventions of 2017,' calling Apple's flagship mobile device 'arguably the world's most sophisticated smartphone' over its new display, its augmented reality applications, and the inclusion of Face ID.

The annual unordered list by Time Magazine selected by its editors starts off the iPhone X section by calling it "A Smarter Smartphone" as a title. The text starts by quoting Apple SVP of hardware engineering Dan Ricco, who said "I look at the design as something we really wanted to do since day one," which the article then goes on to comment "It's easy to see why."

The initial highlights of the article reference the sophistication of the iPhone X, with its OLED screen "that stretches from edge to edge," and referencing the A11 Bionic Chip and its Neural engine as the "processor optimized for augmented reality." The TrueDepth array and Apple's Face ID system, the "camera smart enough to allow users to unlock the phone with their face," is also highlighted in the opening paragraph.

While complimentary, the article also points out that Apple wasn't the initiator of these technologies, advising "some of these features first arrived on devices from Samsung and LG" as an aside.

A large section is dedicated to the switch from Touch ID and the Home button to Face ID and gestures, with Time likening it to Apple's decision to remove the headphone jack from the iPhone 7. An interview with chief design officer Jony Ive is referenced as an explanation, quoting the drive of the company in "looking to the future," and that holding onto long-standing features, whatever the cost, "is a path that leads to failure."

Ive is also brought up in explaining the high $999 cost of the iPhone X, advising "As you would expect, there's a financial consequence to integrating the sheer amount of processing power into such a small device."

Apple's plans for future iPhones were not mentioned by Ive or Ricco, but Ive suggests "We have a clear vision" for the next device generation, and that the iPhone X is "in some sense a completion of a chapter."

Other inventions and innovations on the list include the self-heating Ember Mug, Halo Top ice cream, elevators capable of moving in multiple directions, NASA's Mars InSight lander, and fidget spinners.

In Time's list of the "50 Most Influential Gadgets of All Time" published in 2016, the magazine gave the iPhone top billing, for popularizing the concept of mobile apps. Other Apple products on the list included the original Macintosh at No. 3, the iPod at No. 9, the iPad at No. 25, and iBook at No. 38.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Amazing.

I remember Time naming iPhone invention of the year in 2007.

iPhone X is resembling the original iPhone in so many ways. I've debated with myself if iPhone X is a new invention or not. I mean it feels so different and breaks down new walls but is it just a new version of iPhone or a new invention?
    magman1979RacerhomieXbadmonkdoozydozenwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 12
    When I first read this article- I was impressed...
    ...until I saw the entire list.
    The Nike hijab, make-up shades for different skin tones and the wearable breast pump hahahaha.  If it wasn’t so sad it would be comical.

edited November 2017 RacerhomieXwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 12
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    The Nike hijab, make-up shades for different skin tones and the wearable breast pump hahahaha.  If it wasn’t so sad it would be comical.

NASA Mars lander? This covers one year only so it’s not like you’re gonna see other ground breaking products.

If you wanna see some good stuff look up their top inventions of all time which mentions Sony Walkman, iPod, phonograph, iPhone etc. 
    doozydozenwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 12

A Nike hijab??? Wow!

Still, I wouldn't diss anything. It's just fascinating.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 12

And, when I first read this article,  I was impressed with the positive publicity it will give the iPhone X, and Apple in general. 

-MAS 

watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 12
    jdgazjdgaz Posts: 403member
    Had to pick up my wife 6s yesterday. I could hardly remember how to use it. The X's gesture control is now fully ingrained.
    badmonkneo-techwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 12
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,285member
    Agree loving my X.  I would never go back.  Funny how some pubdits are calling it a UI nightmare.  That has not been my experience.  In my hands, Face ID has been faster and more consistent than Touch ID due to fewer false ID negatives.
    neo-techSnickersMagoowatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 12
    What a coincidence, I included Time magazine on my list of "Things Nobody Cares About in 2017."
    entropystrashman69
  • Reply 9 of 12
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member

It's one year bud, you don't have Iphones or Sony Walkman, or whatever every year.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 12
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    cali said:
    Amazing.

I remember Time naming iPhone invention of the year in 2007.

iPhone X is resembling the original iPhone in so many ways. I've debated with myself if iPhone X is a new invention or not. I mean it feels so different and breaks down new walls but is it just a new version of iPhone or a new invention?
    The original Iphone by that same measure had already been done before, well most of it...

Bringing face ID and AR to the masses alone will have a lasting impact that puts this device up there.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 12
    What a coincidence, I included Time magazine on my list of "Things Nobody Cares About in 2017."
    A lot of people may agree with your sentiments. Nevertheless, Time Magazine (love it, or hate it) still has a lot of clout when it comes to publicly such as this. 

For example, Time Magazine’s “Of the Year” people and lists, DO get attention, whether you, or I might like it or not. 

That it the broader point. 

So will this help Apple and the iPhone X? I suggest that it will.

(I freelance in the publishing industry for four very large US newspapers. I don’t necessarily agree with all of their content, nor editorial stances. But I do have some idea about relevance. And major positive publicity from Time Magazine is... well, what I just said)

-MAS 

watto_cobrastarwars
  • Reply 12 of 12
    I would vote this Time article as the best use of affiliate links in 2017.