Apple issues fourth developer betas of iOS 11.2, watchOS 4.2, tvOS 11.2

Posted:
in iOS
Just a few days after the third betas arrived, Apple has issued new builds of iOS 11.2, watchOS 4.2 and tvOS 11.2 to developers, with increasing frequency potentially suggesting that the public releases could arrive soon.

The new, fourth developer betas of the three platforms come just four days after the previous release. Notably, iOS 11.2 features some support for SiriKit in HomePod, even though the speaker has been delayed until early 2018.

Prior to Monday's third betas, the previous second beta was issued to developers on the preceding Monday.

The updates are expected to mark the public launch of Apple Pay Cash, which allows for peer-to-peer money transfers via the Messages app.

The last build also added a new display prompt when disabling Bluetooth and Wi-Fi in Control Center. Changes in iOS 11 leave those functions active for features such as Apple Watch connectivity, AirDrop and Continuity, but disable other connections to non-Apple devices and services.

The iOS 11.2 beta also adds support for 7.5-watt wireless charging with Apple's latest handsets -- the iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus and iPhone X.

Early builds also rectified a Calculator bug, and incorporates a Now Playing widget for Apple TV media in Control Center.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 33
    I think Apple Pay Cash is going to be a big hit, enough of a hit to challenge other peer to peer pay services. This will be an interesting “other” revenue stream in the upcoming years for Apple. 
    cali
  • Reply 2 of 33
    Battery life improvement?  I'm not upgrading my 6s Plus to 11 until this is fixed.
    hypoluxa
  • Reply 3 of 33
    waverboy said:
    Battery life improvement?  I'm not upgrading my 6s Plus to 11 until this is fixed.
    Here here!
    waverboy
  • Reply 4 of 33
    Apple's IOS 11 is the worst software product since Windows Vista...  Vista was so bad, I left Microsoft and joined to the Apple family because their hardware & software was stellar...   But the IOS 11 debacle has surpassed it...  There are 3 major issues...  1st, battery life has fallen off the cliff on my iPhone...  This morning was typical, I reviewed Appleinsider, Mac Hash & a couple of new Facebook entries and in less than 30 minutes my battery dropped 30%+ on my iPhone 6S plus...  I use to be able to use the iPhone all day, but that is a distant memory!!!!   The 2nd issue is even worse, the iPhone wifi connection...  My wifi speed is 100 Mbps from my router...  My MacBook gets 97 Mbps...  My iPhone gets as low as 24 Mbps & rarely reaches 50 Mbps...  I test the MacBook & iPhone side by side...  This week I tried to download 2 very small apps, each were 7k in size, not megs, not gigs...  One took almost 5 minutes to load, the other crashed after several minutes...  3rd, it destroyed Air Print & even after spending almost 2 hours with the "techies" trying to resurrect it, it is still a failure...  Apple shoddy software releases totally degrades the "Apple" experience...    We are not Apple customers, but rather "beta testers" fixing their constant crapware...  
  • Reply 5 of 33
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    woolie said:
    Apple's IOS 11 is the worst software product since Windows Vista...  Vista was so bad, I left Microsoft and joined to the Apple family because their hardware & software was stellar...   But the IOS 11 debacle has surpassed it...  There are 3 major issues...  1st, battery life has fallen off the cliff on my iPhone...  This morning was typical, I reviewed Appleinsider, Mac Hash & a couple of new Facebook entries and in less than 30 minutes my battery dropped 30%+ on my iPhone 6S plus...  I use to be able to use the iPhone all day, but that is a distant memory!!!!   The 2nd issue is even worse, the iPhone wifi connection...  My wifi speed is 100 Mbps from my router...  My MacBook gets 97 Mbps...  My iPhone gets as low as 24 Mbps & rarely reaches 50 Mbps...  I test the MacBook & iPhone side by side...  This week I tried to download 2 very small apps, each were 7k in size, not megs, not gigs...  One took almost 5 minutes to load, the other crashed after several minutes...  3rd, it destroyed Air Print & even after spending almost 2 hours with the "techies" trying to resurrect it, it is still a failure...  Apple shoddy software releases totally degrades the "Apple" experience...    We are not Apple customers, but rather "beta testers" fixing their constant crapware...  
    Really? No way is it even close to even Windows XP.

These issues will be fixed in the coming weeks unlike Windows who has had the same problems since the 90s.
  • Reply 6 of 33
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,911member
    While I agree iOS 11 is one of the buggiest releases Apple has had, there’s no way it compares to Vista. I accidentally updated my 6s to 11 a few weeks ago. There are definitely bugs, but most of them I would categorize as ‘minor annoyances’ rather than deal breaking usability issues. I haven’t noticed a significant drop in battery life or wifi speeds. Have you tried resetting your phone? There are times what settings from the previous iOS version interfere with the new one and resetting and doing a ’clean’ Install fo your software rather than using the icloud backup can help. 
    caliStrangeDays
  • Reply 7 of 33
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    woolie said:
    This is pretty much the same complaint template you’ve been using for the past ten years. You haven’t had a working Apple product in all that time and yet you continue to buy them and then post the same message. That strikes me as somewhat suspicious. 

lkruppwvdirkStrangeDayscali
  • Reply 8 of 33
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    waverboy said:
    You blathering about it doesn’t make it true. There is nothing to be fixed in this matter. I have an iPhone 6 on iOS 11.1.2 and my battery lasts two days regularly. I’ve been using it all day and it’s at 70% right now. If you read it on the Internet that doesn’t mean it has to be true. 
    wvdirkStrangeDayswooliebluefire1
  • Reply 9 of 33
    woolie said:
    Back-up your device. Put phone in DFU mode and do a fresh software restore. Then restore from your back-up.  This resolved my battery issues on iOS 11 for my iPhone SE and iPad Air.
    cali
  • Reply 10 of 33
    I agree that IOS 11 is the buggiest so far but once the new iPhone model availability dates are finalised then IOS 11 is also included ready or not.

The one thing I have noticed in IOS 11 ... I used to get up in the morning and just charge the iPhone & iPad without opening the cases to get both back to 100% before heading off to work.  As soon as IOS 11 was installed, I find I have to firstly open the case so the display is on and then plug the charging cable in (can see that charging is occurring from the display symbol) otherwise it is pretty common for no charging to take place at all.  We have a pair of separate power outlets that each include 2 USB outlets (4 total) and swapping power outlet/ USB outlet / charging cable didn't resolve the issue.  As the issue is on both the iPhone and iPad straight after the IOS 11 upgrade, my suspicions are with IOS 11.

• Reply 11 of 33
    lkrupp said:
    waverboy said:
    You blathering about it doesn’t make it true. There is nothing to be fixed in this matter. I have an iPhone 6 on iOS 11.1.2 and my battery lasts two days regularly. I’ve been using it all day and it’s at 70% right now. If you read it on the Internet that doesn’t mean it has to be true. 
    Your online blathering is surely equally worthless then. Might not be true for you, but it's true for many, and I'll not take the chance, thanks.
  • Reply 12 of 33
    lkrupp said:
    waverboy said:
    there are five iOS 11 devices in our household, all working absolutely fine (an X, an 6s, and ipads air, mini and pro). dunno what we’re doing wrong...
    lkrupp
  • Reply 13 of 33
    clarker99 said:
    woolie said:
    Back-up your device. Put phone in DFU mode and do a fresh software restore. Then restore from your back-up.  This resolved my battery issues on iOS 11 for my iPhone SE and iPad Air.
    It amazes me how people forget about this procedure when they are having issues, especially battery life issues after an OS upgrade. Clean restores and restores and backups resolve these problems over 95% of the time IMO...
  • Reply 14 of 33
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,911member
    lkrupp said:
    waverboy said:
    there are five iOS 11 devices in our household, all working absolutely fine (an X, an 6s, and ipads air, mini and pro). dunno what we’re doing wrong...
    It may well be that neither of you is doing anything wrong. If it were a bug that happened all the time, Apple would have fixed it by now. Even with the relative hardware uniformity within the Apple ecosystem, there are still more obscure bugs that appear randomly and are much more difficult to track down. The fact that you aren’t experiencing a bug that another user is doesn’t mean the bug doesn’t exist. Name calling and accusing people of lying doesn’t do much to further conversation.
  • Reply 15 of 33
    Fanboys aside, the template is established by Apple's management that year after year releases their software on day x ready or not...  Rigid/unrealistic deadlines produces crapware...   When the iPhone X demo failed on stage, you knew Apple's software had reached new low's... I love Apple's hardware & I have ten of their products, but I despise the constant release of untested software that kills the life of their hardware... Yes, they will fix it someday, but it's a pathetic way to treat your customers...    Yes, I do clean installs & I go in and delete the features that consume a lot of battery life...
    razorpit
  • Reply 16 of 33
    lkrupp said:
    waverboy said:
    Nothing. 

The problem could be related to installed software that is interacting badly with the new OS. 

A close friend of mine got into the habit of killing all the apps on her phone when she finished using them because her sister said that was the problem. I told her her sister didn’t know anything about iPhones. We sat down and looked at all the app settings. Pretty much all the apps were constantly using the location services. Fixed that, battery problem vanished. Now she swears blind that all these apps got the location services reset after she upgraded the OS. That’s possible. I know that Facebook likes to alter settings on its own. One good reason not to use the app. 

Another reason for the possible battery problem is suggestibility: reading about a problem convinces people the have it too. I think it’s called techypochondria. 

I haven’t seen the problem myself (four devices here) on the iPhone, but I don’t run a huge number of apps. 
    edited November 2017
  • Reply 17 of 33

woolie said:
    Fanboys aside, the template is established by Apple's management that year after year releases their software on day x ready or not...  Rigid/unrealistic deadlines produces crapware...   When the iPhone X demo failed on stage, you knew Apple's software had reached new low's... I love Apple's hardware & I have ten of their products, but I despise the constant release of untested software that kills the life of their hardware... Yes, they will fix it someday, but it's a pathetic way to treat your customers...    Yes, I do clean installs & I go in and delete the features that consume a lot of battery life...
    Poor punctuation (the word “lows” doesn’t need an apostrophe) and weird formatting are a giveaway. You also went with the overused “I love Apple products and have all their stuff…” meme. Unfortunately, you’ve let your imagination get the better of you, which has made your post a tad unrealistic. 

edited November 2017 caliStrangeDayslkrupp
  • Reply 18 of 33
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,301member
    No issues at all with battery life on my iPhone X.

• Reply 19 of 33
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    MplsP said:
    While I agree iOS 11 is one of the buggiest releases Apple has had, there’s no way it compares to Vista. I accidentally updated my 6s to 11 a few weeks ago. There are definitely bugs, but most of them I would categorize as ‘minor annoyances’ rather than deal breaking usability issues. I haven’t noticed a significant drop in battery life or wifi speeds. Have you tried resetting your phone? There are times what settings from the previous iOS version interfere with the new one and resetting and doing a ’clean’ Install fo your software rather than using the icloud backup can help. 
    On my 6+ the battery drain is significant.   Debilitating really (unless there is always a charger nearby).
  • Reply 20 of 33
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    lkrupp said:
    waverboy said:
    My experience with my 6+ is the opposite:  The battery drain is incredible.   BUT, it seems to be dependent on what the phone is being asked to do.   Video seems to drain it like a damn with a hole in the middle.
    razorpit