A very false narrative: Samsung Galaxy S8 vs Apple's iPhone

12345679»

Comments

• Reply 161 of 167
    comparing just samsung to apple is pointless. the true comparison is iOS to Android. i don't like either phone or OS. they both do annoying things and are phenomenally overpriced.
  • Reply 162 of 167
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    It's not like there is a pot with a pre-set dollar amount of profit and Apple is the first to grab it.  Asian companies are VERY much more apt at being streamlined and running on less profit.....they know how to squeeze everything out to it's max.  If XYZ company makes as much profit as it "needs" then what good is it to the customer to squeeze more out of them?  It is quite obvious that Apple would love to increase their marketshare by bringing down the entry costs to getting an apple phone. 

I have never understood how more profit for Apple is good for the average customer.....are you guys getting secret cheques from Apple?
    Profitable companies tend to stay in business and continue to make the products you like.  Unprofitable companies, not so much.

More profitable companies can afford to make their OS compatible with older phones.  Less profitable companies abandon flagship phone updates after two years.

/shrug

There are a lot of crappy companies out there.  When I find a trustworthy vendor I like them around for the long haul.  Other valid strategies exist.
  • Reply 163 of 167
    MecronMecron Posts: 1member

I am always amused by these "I love apple and the world has it wrong" articles.  Yeah, compare the mac to the Surface, good luck.   As for this comparo, the iphone has its positives for sure.  However, we seems to have neglected the vastly inferior screen on the iphone, the fact that every camera shootout I have seen (important to a lot of folks) finds the Galaxy (and lots of others) simply wipe out the iphone, the Galaxy has peripherals for the business traveler that apple does not have but better not ignore, note the multi core performance is better, etc.  Point is, yes if one is hostage to the Apple ecosystem, then iphone makes a lot of sense.  If however, one is not , then there are  alternatives where there are better phones than the iphone depending on what you care about and whether you want what peripherals there are out there ( like docking stations ) to work for more than a year or two before apple charges  $30 for a $1 piece of plastic to "adapt" *(again.)  Finally, the notion that Apple  creates flawless software or OSs or creates a great user experience passed a long time ago.   Ask the thousands of music professionals who had their soundcards bricked overnight, the (seemingly every) Apple update "printer will no longer work its not our fault" thing,  or the numerous folks who will not even consider an apple software upgrade until it has been out for some time so that they don't get the inevitable legion of issues (google it) or various other nonsense that comes with Apple just like every other software or hardware manufacturer out there.    Do your research and pro or con, reject the articles that appear to say "everyone else has it wrong, its a conspiracy."  UM right.

• Reply 164 of 167
    comparing just samsung to apple is pointless. the true comparison is iOS to Android. i don't like either phone or OS. they both do annoying things and are phenomenally overpriced.

*sigh*
    You people make me feel old, lol!

Back in the mid-90's when mainstream PC computing was in its heyday & the internet was starting to get traction... an underpowered garbage PC from a bland "beige box" PC maker like Compaq would set you back $2,000.
    The operating systems were MISERABLE. USB hadn't been invented yet, so if you had multiple peripherals, you had to "daisy chain" parallel port plugs.
    Software and drivers required the patience of a saint! Screens mostly sat around 800x600 or 1024x768 for resolution & the two most common crt sizes were 15" & 17". (they weighed about 60 pounds)

Portable?
    Well... laptops were lower specced w/ a steeper price tag, Diamond Rio provided me the 1st ever MP3 player (32mb, for $299!) We would reencode music at a crappy/warbly 48kbps to try to cram 2 1/2 hours of tunes on it.
    GPS units were pricey & carried a yearly (or MONTHLY!) fee. 

& we still marveled @ the tech, pushed it to the limits... made it mainstream & paved the way for the world you live in today.

No land lines.
    Built into your phone/portable pc.
    No MP3 players.
    Almost no consumer need for a laptop.
    (almost all functions)
    No GPS.
    No crappy/expensive digital cameras.
    No bulky camcorders.

All with the most consumer friendly operating systems in history!
    For the 1st time, not built for stodgy businessmen 1st, & consumers as an afterthought...
    OSs built for play & for "social", and multimedia, & gaming, and (most importantly!) for touch!
    Truly personal computing/communication devices, designed w/ intimate interaction in mind...

Of course there will ALWAYS be "room for improvement", but WOW!!!!, we've come a long way.
    I just literally have a very hard time wrapping my head around the idea that, w/ all the amazing choices of hardware, from all the smartphone vendors, w/ tweaked customized software & an endless stream of quality Apps, @ historically low prices.... there could be someone picky enough to say: "I don't like either of the two mobile OS platforms, or ANY of the phones available".

HOLY CRAP, MAN!!!!!!!

NONE?! None of them???!
    None of them are good enough for you?
    They all "do annoying things"?! Lol.

I'm trying SO hard to not judge you as an entitled, 1st world, whiny, snobby, ungrateful, impossible to please, demanding, nightmare of a consumer!
    Can you please elucidate?!
    If in the last 10 years, the fastest moving field in history hasn't done anything right, in your eyes... what, pray tell, exactly are your demands? What would you put in a mobile OS & a mobile phone to "be satisfied"?

edited May 2017
  • Reply 165 of 167
    was trying to watch season 4 of halt and catch fire on my ipad the other day. 
    Go into itunes. files incorrect format... mp4... ok.... convert to "ipad format"..... ok what am I? 4 years old? to you mean .mov? ok....
    it's greyed out. cant watch the videos on my ipad... great.

drag and drop onto my android. VLC. 5 minutes and i'm watching.

this is the most basic of functions...drag and drop, execute.

apple is depriving you of functionality
    and talking to you like you're an idiot. (ipad format)

and your LOVING it, 
  • Reply 166 of 167
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    ipreferns said:
    was trying to watch season 4 of halt and catch fire on my ipad the other day. 
    Go into itunes. files incorrect format... mp4... ok.... convert to "ipad format"..... ok what am I? 4 years old? to you mean .mov? ok....
    it's greyed out. cant watch the videos on my ipad... great.

drag and drop onto my android. VLC. 5 minutes and i'm watching.

this is the most basic of functions...drag and drop, execute.

apple is depriving you of functionality
    and talking to you like you're an idiot. (ipad format)

and your LOVING it, 
    You're aware that VLC exists for the iPad, right?
    ronn