MacBook refreshes push Apple to 4th in global notebook shipments

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 44
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    nht said:
    There's nothing wrong with linux or windows.  Break free and enjoy your hardware utopia.  If you aren't going to be happy with the MBP, iMac Pro and the fact they are working on a new Mac Pro sitting around here whining isn't going to do you any good.
    I've worked with those OSs for decades. There's a reason I'm a Mac user and it isn't status or fashion. That it's slipping away, is why I'm here complaining.
  • Reply 42 of 44
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    cgWerks said:
    nht said:
    There's nothing wrong with linux or windows.  Break free and enjoy your hardware utopia.  If you aren't going to be happy with the MBP, iMac Pro and the fact they are working on a new Mac Pro sitting around here whining isn't going to do you any good.
    I've worked with those OSs for decades. There's a reason I'm a Mac user and it isn't status or fashion. That it's slipping away, is why I'm here complaining.
    If you've worked with them for decades then you would know that the differences in day to day usability has shrunk not grown.  Especially with Ubuntu spending all that effort to make the desktop suck less.  For the most part they've been successful.  You can go the next step with the UI and make it more MacOS like if you want.

http://www.linuxandubuntu.com/home/macbuntu-transform-ubuntu-1604-to-mac-os-x

Mac hardware has always trailed Windows hardware.  Folks have been bitching about that for decades too.  Sometimes the gap is smaller, sometimes the gap is wider but Apple isn't going to make an xMac or a workstation laptop again.  Christ, the last contender for that title was the 17" MBP released in 2011.
  • Reply 43 of 44
    nht said:
    cgWerks said:
    If you've worked with them for decades then you would know that the differences in day to day usability has shrunk not grown.  Especially with Ubuntu spending all that effort to make the desktop suck less.  For the most part they've been successful.  You can go the next step with the UI and make it more MacOS like if you want.

http://www.linuxandubuntu.com/home/macbuntu-transform-ubuntu-1604-to-mac-os-x

Mac hardware has always trailed Windows hardware.  Folks have been bitching about that for decades too.  Sometimes the gap is smaller, sometimes the gap is wider but Apple isn't going to make an xMac or a workstation laptop again.  Christ, the last contender for that title was the 17" MBP released in 2011.
    Yes, they have improved by leaps and bounds (though so has the Mac until the last decade or so where it has degraded a bit... maybe a lot depending on what you do). But, for example, you still have to worry a good bit about security, viruses, etc. on the Windows side. And, you don't have to go all that far until you've escaped the pretty coating and get into the ugly guts.

re: Ubuntu - You're kidding, right? If you make it *look* more like a Mac it suddenly becomes more usable?

And, that brings me to the bigger points like apps and UI. One of the big reasons a Mac was more productive, is because the UI contributed to better workflows, and a lot of the apps creatives used (or even smart businesses) were better and provided productivity gains. Yes, that gap has shrunk as apps have matured and have been written more cross-platform. But, if I switched to a Windows box, I'd still have to switch a number of apps. On Unix, it isn't even in the ballgame.

The problem is that as Apple has messed up their apps and UI, and forgotten much of their Human Interface Guidelines, so have app developers developing for the platform. So, many apps aren't as conducive to the workflow gains we once saw. If you want to think of it visually... imagine a bar graph that was, say 50% filled in for Windows and 100% for Mac, to represent the productivity gap that once existed. Windows is now up to like 75% and the Mac has dropped to like 90%. So, they are getting closer... Windows is improving, etc. Eventually, I suppose they might cross if current trends continue.

But, I'm still hopeful that Apple will wake up and start fixing the Mac platform again. I don't think they'll go back into making Xserves or some of the very specialized products they once did, but I kind of expect that as long as they have a laptop and desktop line, they would have models that roughly covered the need spectrum. Maybe a true pro laptop is asking too much. But, they seem to have 'seen the light' on keeping the Mac Pro alive... at least for now. So, that gives me a bit of hope back.

If they fail me there, then I think it will be time to face the fact that they've become a consumer product company, and go elsewhere for pro stuff.
  • Reply 44 of 44
    Sorry to bump this thread again, but for those interested in this debate, there was a pretty good back and fourth on the latest ATP podcast w/ Marco Arment and Casey Liss between the current MBP and the 2015 (previous gen)... and about what a pro means, etc.

http://atp.fm/episodes/249