Mockups envision 'iPhone X Plus' and 'iPhone SE 2' with edge to edge displays, Face ID

Posted:
in iPhone edited November 2017
Though a next-generation iPhone SE isn't expected to get the OLED edge-to-edge treatment, that hasn't stopped German magazine Curved from imagining what it -- along with a Plus-sized iPhone X rumored to arrive in late 2018 -- might look like.

The new mockups come on the heels of a report from analyst Ming-Chi Kuo of KGI Securities, who said last week that Apple has a 6.5-inch iPhone X in the works for next year. Like the iPhone X packed an edge-to-edge display into Apple's midsize phone, the so-called "iPhone X Plus" is rumored to have the same general form factor as an iPhone Plus, but with a larger display and no home button.

Given those expectations, the "iPhone X Plus" concept is pretty much what you would expect -- a jumbo-sized iPhone X.

The publication threw in an "iPhone SE 2" for good measure, but the concepts shown in that device seem less likely to become a reality. For one, the handset is shown with the same sharp edges as the current iPhone SE, as well as retaining a metal back that would not allow for wireless charging.

On the front, the "iPhone SE 2" is shown with the same edge-to-edge display as the iPhone X and "iPhone X Plus," complete with Face ID TrueDepth camera notch.

To be clear, while there have been occasional rumors of a second-generation iPhone SE potentially launching in the spring of 2018, it's expected that the handset will maintain its position as Apple's budget-focused, entry-level model. Given the costs associated with OLED displays and the TrueDepth camera, which have resulted in $999-and-up pricing on the iPhone X, it's not expected that those features would be coming to the iPhone SE so soon, if ever.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 52
    The SE has flat sides because they recycled an old chassis with next to no industrial design changes. If it got such a massive re-engineering, surely the entire chassis would get modernized…?
    SoliRacerhomieXGeorgeBMacbdkennedy1002xzucornchipLukeCageLukeCage
  • Reply 2 of 52
    LOL! Too soon!  :D
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 52
    What’s so great about it? Even a 3 yr old can come up with it.
  • Reply 4 of 52
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,152member
    I would buy that SE. Immediately. I would even line up for it, which I have never done before.
    edited November 2017 calischlackaylkne4now76GeorgeBMaccoolfactorcornchipnetroxwatto_cobra[Deleted User]
  • Reply 5 of 52
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,299member
    So it’s just a photoshop shrink of X face onto SE body. How is that a mock up?
  • Reply 6 of 52
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    I want an X SE like that.
    Not iPhone SE X as that would cause a media circus.

I don’t see the point in having one model designed different than the rest. If Apple can release the whole line in one simple design that would be great.
    No LCD model or other fragmented crap.

Wishful Thinking:
    iPhone XS
    NEW iPhone X
    iPhone XL
    Now with smaller notch and FaceID 2.

iPhone X

That's it. 4 models available from Apple in 2018. XS would keep the SE price as the budget model and XL would potentially push ASP even higher for Apple. 
    edited November 2017 ne4now76
  • Reply 7 of 52
    If I ran the world, the Plus sized iPhone with the X design would just be a wider version of the current "medium" sized X as the display has already gotten crazy big and these super long aspect ratios are kind of silly. Then make the small variant just a current X only about 1.5" shorter, but with the same width-- resulting in an iPhone almost the same size as the original, and just as one-handable, but with way more display. I can dream anyhow.
    ne4now76bikertwinwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 52
    oyg. I would totally pick that SE as my next phone. have a 7 and had a 6 before that. but a top tier SE just smaller would be my preference.
    aylkbikertwinbaconstangwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 52

I understand I am in the minority, but I cant be alone. I would love a phone the size of the Iphone SE.  Just dusted off my old 5S so my toddler can use it when we dont want to bring along his ipad (yes, he is spoiled and yes, we limit his "screen-time" daily).  When I picked up the 5S, I remembered how much better it felt to use vs my Iphone7 and how much easier it was to carry. I am a large guy (with large hands) and I work with my hands and do spend some time having to crawl in under and over things. I find myself leaving the 7 in the truck way more often than the iphones I've previously had (4S, 5S).  I do however appreciate the camera, screen size, water resistance and battery life of the 7.
    If they could make a phone with the dimensions of the SE (or smaller) and keep the screen (roughly) the size of the 7, I would buy one immediately. 
    To keep the costs down and enable wireless charging, they could always do a plastic back panel with a stainless bezel like the 4.  I gladly would sacrifice device thickness for a better battery life and smaller overall footprint.       
    Samsung is allegedly releasing a mini galaxy that has me tempted.  When I switched to Iphone, I swore I would never go back but the glitchy ios (like android always was but ios wasnt), mixed with a "bigger phones" sales model, is compelling me to look at the competition again.  Hopefully apple considers more options.   
    http://www.androidguys.com/2017/11/14/samsung-galaxy-s9-mini-rumored-to-arrive-in-2018-with-a-4-inch-display/
    aylkGeorgeBMacbaconstang
  • Reply 10 of 52
    Sign me up for a X Plus. Really enjoying my X now, been about a week since it arrived and I love it. Plus would just be more of a good thing 
    macplusplusspliff monkeywatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 52
    Death to the notch!!!  >:)
    baconstangSpamSandwichboogerman2000
  • Reply 12 of 52
    normmnormm Posts: 653member
    Not much of a mock up.  The notch shouldn't get any bigger or smaller on other phones: they'll use exactly the same sensors.  So it should be less noticeable on the Plus, not more.
    caliStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 52
    The entire idea of the SE was to minimize the changes needed, so any update to the SE would maintain the 5/5S chassis architecture, including mechanical Touch ID/Home button, or not happen at all.

baconstang
  • Reply 14 of 52
    Yeah, no way the se is getting this next year. Maybe the refresh after 2018, when ever that happens.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 52
    iPhone X SE.  Premium is always smaller. They could price it at $2K and I'd buy it.  It'll be faster and longer battery life than any other phone in Apple's line up - because that huge screen takes all the power and cycles.  Apple need to divorce 'cheap' from 'small'.   I think they should have a super plus size phone for $300 - so much more room for all the components - and much worse battery/performance. But the 'small' form factor should be for their most premium device. 
    Eric_WVGGlongpathbaconstang
  • Reply 16 of 52
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,015member
    arthurba said:
    iPhone X SE.  Premium is always smaller. They could price it at $2K and I'd buy it.  It'll be faster and longer battery life than any other phone in Apple's line up - because that huge screen takes all the power and cycles.  Apple need to divorce 'cheap' from 'small'.   I think they should have a super plus size phone for $300 - so much more room for all the components - and much worse battery/performance. But the 'small' form factor should be for their most premium device. 

$300?  LOL.  Someone doesn't know how much screens cost.  
    baconstangwatto_cobraLukeCage
  • Reply 17 of 52
    if an all screen SE is released its price point won’t be cheap but instead fill in what apple’s flagships iphone cost prior to the introduction of the X.
  • Reply 18 of 52
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    If I ran the world, the Plus sized iPhone with the X design would just be a wider version of the current "medium" sized X as the display has already gotten crazy big and these super long aspect ratios are kind of silly. Then make the small variant just a current X only about 1.5" shorter, but with the same width-- resulting in an iPhone almost the same size as the original, and just as one-handable, but with way more display. I can dream anyhow.
    A few weeks ago here I commented how a iPhone 2G sized X would work well and feel great in the hand.

I would take it further and release a bezel-less iPod Nano with its own OS for games, Apple Music, AR, book narration and more. This would be a gigantic holiday hit for Kids(Think Wii or Tickle Me Elmo x10) but apple decided they were done, sadly.

normm said:
    Not much of a mock up.  The notch shouldn't get any bigger or smaller on other phones: they'll use exactly the same sensors.  So it should be less noticeable on the Plus, not more.

I’m pretty sure there’s an iPad X mock-up with a huge notch somewhere. 
    bikertwin
  • Reply 19 of 52
    You guys have way too much idle time on your hands - do you even have a job?
    edited November 2017
  • Reply 20 of 52
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,336member
    Totally agree.. :smile: 
    bikertwinwatto_cobra