Mockups envision 'iPhone X Plus' and 'iPhone SE 2' with edge to edge displays, Face ID

Comments

• Reply 21 of 52
    arthurba said:
    iPhone X SE.  Premium is always smaller. They could price it at $2K and I'd buy it.  It'll be faster and longer battery life than any other phone in Apple's line up - because that huge screen takes all the power and cycles.  Apple need to divorce 'cheap' from 'small'.   I think they should have a super plus size phone for $300 - so much more room for all the components - and much worse battery/performance. But the 'small' form factor should be for their most premium device. 
    Except that bit about screens and batteries is wrong. Bigger screen == more battery == longer overall battery life (I think the Plus phones have a longer battery life by, what, 15 or 20%?). The SE can only have a similar battery life by staying thick.

Regardless, yeah, I would pay a premium for for a smaller (albeit thicker) phone too, but consumers just don't think that way. The only way small phones have a future is if they're akin to the iPod Nano, where they cost a little less for sacrificing capacity and performance. But it's worth noting that the Nano always was the far-and-away best-selling iPod, so there's hope…
    bikertwinarthurbabaconstang
  • Reply 22 of 52
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    cali said:
    I want an X SE like that.
    Not iPhone SE X as that would cause a media circus.

I don’t see the point in having one model designed different than the rest. If Apple can release the whole line in one simple design that would be great.
    No LCD model or other fragmented crap.

Wishful Thinking:
    iPhone XS
    NEW iPhone X
    iPhone XL
    Now with smaller notch and FaceID 2.

iPhone X

That's it. 4 models available from Apple in 2018. XS would keep the SE price as the budget model and XL would potentially push ASP even higher for Apple. 
    SEX might be their biggest seller -- ever.
    baconstang
  • Reply 23 of 52
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    schlack said:
    oyg. I would totally pick that SE as my next phone. have a 7 and had a 6 before that. but a top tier SE just smaller would be my preference.
    I agree!  I would have to try it -- but it could be ideal.
    An SE is just a little too small for me because its too hard for these old eyes to read.  But give it a full-frontal OLED, that could be perfect!

But, that said, I would hate to see them drop their budget model.
    Using somebody else's suggestion:  Could we get a SE as well as an SEX?
    edited November 2017 watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 52
    arthurba said:
    iPhone X SE.  Premium is always smaller. They could price it at $2K and I'd buy it.  It'll be faster and longer battery life than any other phone in Apple's line up - because that huge screen takes all the power and cycles.  Apple need to divorce 'cheap' from 'small'.   I think they should have a super plus size phone for $300 - so much more room for all the components - and much worse battery/performance. But the 'small' form factor should be for their most premium device. 
    "Apple need to divorce 'cheap' from 'small'."

i'm not at all sure that they have ever adopted that philosophy  Rather, the SE was using older components and extending their life cycle -- which enabled it to be cheaper rather than its size.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 52
    Though a next-generation iPhone SE isn't expected to get the OLED edge-to-edge treatment, that hasn't stopped German magazine Curved from imagining what it -- along with a Plus-sized iPhone X rumored to arrive in late 2018 -- might look like.

The new mockups come on the heels of a report from analyst Ming-Chi Kuo of KGI Securities, who said last week that Apple has a 6.5-inch iPhone X in the works for next year. Like the iPhone X packed an edge-to-edge display into Apple's midsize phone, the so-called "iPhone X Plus" is rumored to have the same general form factor as an iPhone Plus, but with a larger display and no home button.

Given those expectations, the "iPhone X Plus" concept is pretty much what you would expect -- a jumbo-sized iPhone X.

The publication threw in an "iPhone SE 2" for good measure, but the concepts shown in that device seem less likely to become a reality. For one, the handset is shown with the same sharp edges as the current iPhone SE, as well as retaining a metal back that would not allow for wireless charging.

On the front, the "iPhone SE 2" is shown with the same edge-to-edge display as the iPhone X and "iPhone X Plus," complete with Face ID TrueDepth camera notch.

To be clear, while there have been occasional rumors of a second-generation iPhone SE potentially launching in the spring of 2018, it's expected that the handset will maintain its position as Apple's budget-focused, entry-level model. Given the costs associated with OLED displays and the TrueDepth camera, which have resulted in $999-and-up pricing on the iPhone X, it's not expected that those features would be coming to the iPhone SE so soon, if ever.

• Reply 26 of 52
    iPhone SE isn’t going to happen with an oled screen.
  • Reply 27 of 52
    normm said:
    Not much of a mock up.  The notch shouldn't get any bigger or smaller on other phones: they'll use exactly the same sensors.  So it should be less noticeable on the Plus, not more.
    Right, not sure there would be much room for the ears on an SE sized X (which I don’t think is a phone Apple will make). Can’t tell because the notch is not to scale. 

Also, I don’t see why the render assumes the bezel will shrink on a X style SE. The render shows a much smaller bezel than the X currently has. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 52
    Eric_WVGG said:
    The SE has flat sides because they recycled an old chassis with next to no industrial design changes. If it got such a massive re-engineering, surely the entire chassis would get modernized…?

So "flat sides" == "not modern"? I fail to see the logic with this thinking.

I've got the SE, and my girlfriend has the 6S. These are essentially the same phone in terms of capability and performance. She is always using my phone for games because she prefers the form factor, as do I. The SE is the best phone I've ever had, and I'll choose the "SE 2" when it finally comes out.

bikertwinarthurbabaconstangGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 29 of 52

You guys have way too much idle time on your hands - do you even have a job?

That's amusing, since you're here offering a comment that has zero substance to the topic at hand.

So what are your thoughts on this topic?
    baconstangwatto_cobramuthuk_vanalingamGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 30 of 52
    I've got the SE, and my girlfriend has the 6S. These are essentially the same phone in terms of capability and performance. She is always using my phone for games because she prefers the form factor, as do I. The SE is the best phone I've ever had, and I'll choose the "SE 2" when it finally comes out.

Well, I think the SE was a repurposed 5S chassis because Apple was just testing the form factor and wanted to minimize costs.

Just as an Audi A3 looks similar to an Audi A4, A5, A6, A7, and A8, I think if Apple has decided the SE is here to stay (and is willing to now invest money in it since it was successful), that it will look more like an iPhone 8 or X, just smaller.

I’d love an iPhone SE-sized (or even original iPhone-sized, but with an LED screen with narrower bezels; not quite OLED-narrow).

But perhaps Apple has decided that small screens belong on an Apple Watch, and is pushing people to larger screens on phones.
  • Reply 31 of 52
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,945member
    entropys said:
    I would buy that SE. Immediately. I would even line up for it, which I have never done before.
    Love that SE. Won’t happen.
    baconstangwatto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 52
    There will be no SE2 until 2019 when it will merely get a processor upgrade to A11. However the mock up that they have built is what I reckon they should have gone with on the stainless steel sides for the X. And frankly I am genuinely surprised that they did not do that, the completely flat sides couple with rounded corners is absolutely timeless.
    baconstangwatto_cobraGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 33 of 52
    I suspect that the 4.7 and 5.5 would be the new additions for the iPhone SE
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 34 of 52
    I wat to upvote just this part of your post.
    bikertwin said:
    But perhaps Apple has decided that small screens belong on an Apple Watch, and is pushing people to larger screens on phones.
    I've wondered this too - especially now that the Apple Watch has LTE.  Battery life needs to improve tho.  I'm especially interested because I may end up with a Red Hydrogen for media consumption and filming/photography - and I don't want to carry that and my iPhone too.  I'd still have an iPhone SE - but I'd want to be able to go out with either the SE or the RED depending what I'm doing (in practice it'll be most often with the RED).  Having the Apple Watch means I wouldn't lose iMessage either.

I think Apple see the future of the Apple Watch as very big for people who'll pay a premium for small.  And I'm just starting to realise maybe that is me.  And maybe if I'm only going to carry the iPhone occasionally - maybe I don't care if it's big (or bigger than the SE at any rate).  Besides the size of the RED doesn't bother me at all - because it's about 100 times smaller than the alternative.

It's also making me re-think what apps need to be written for the Apple Watch and how they need to work...
  • Reply 35 of 52
    Should be called iPhone XL(extra Large)
  • Reply 36 of 52
    Though the SE 2 design is likely decided, I put this out there: 

A form that is a true, unique mix of the current SE and the 8. Please, retain the great holdability of the current design. 

Everything extra would be a gravy train! 
    edited November 2017
  • Reply 37 of 52
    Eric_WVGG said:
    The SE has flat sides because they recycled an old chassis with next to no industrial design changes. If it got such a massive re-engineering, surely the entire chassis would get modernized…?
    They could go back to the “glass sandwich” design of the iPhone 4/4s, but stretch the display to match the size of the SE. At least wireless charging would be possible with a glass back, while still retaining an existing design.
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 38 of 52
    ben20ben20 Posts: 126member
    The iPhone X is great! However the keyboard is a little smaller than my Plus and the screen, well, it feels smaller, too. Would be nice if a X Plus comes out in Spring. I think for work, I want the X Plus.
    macpluspluswatto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 52
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,299member
    Given the hardware in the notch isn't getting dramatically smaller so soon after first release the smaller X- would have to do interesting things to get down to this 5series size.
     Still as I've said many times I'd buy this bad boy as soon as I could.
    tallest skilwatto_cobraarthurba
  • Reply 40 of 52
    longpath said:
    The entire idea of the SE was to minimize the changes needed, so any update to the SE would maintain the 5/5S chassis architecture, including mechanical Touch ID/Home button, or not happen at all.

And including the headphone jack.  More importantly, it's all about minimizing the assembly line refit costs (none - so they can use a fully amortized [free] factory), to the margins can hold  at a lower sell point.   They can upgrade the chips and memory, and want to, as it makes them more valuable to the user, and easier to support in future OS releases (it's likely they want to cap support at 4 chipsets back for phones).
    they also want phones to have OS upgrade for at least a couple years after last New unit sale.  Which means the SE needs updating.

If they retain the 4" retina (i doubt it) form factor),all you'll get the SOC/better radios & cameras and likely a 64 GB entry for $400.  Maybe TruTone, if they can make the screen thicknesses match.

If they keep selling the SE it will drop to $300 with an a10 chip (5SE) , but my guess they won't.  

I think the SE sell point will move up to the 6S chassis (to provide a A11 chip to a phone with that general form factor with a headphone jack), and it will be $400.