Video: With Apple's HomePod delayed until 2018, will customers wait?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited November 2017
Apple recently announced that its highly anticipated premium HomePod speaker won't launch in December as was originally planned. AppleInsider brings you up to speed with everything you need to know about the HomePod's delay until 2018.

If you were hoping to have a HomePod under your Christmas tree this season, you're going to be disappointed.

Originally scheduled to ship in December, Apple has delayed the highly anticipated HomePod until early 2018.

In a statement to TechCrunch, Apple said that they can't wait for people to experience the HomePod, but they need a little more time before it's ready for customers. The premium speaker will ship first to the U.S., U.K. and Australia. Apple didn't immediately offer an explanation for the delay.

When it ships, the HomePod will be Apple's first step into the world of intelligent home speakers like the current Amazon Echo and Google Home. These devices can already be used to search the web and control devices in homes like turning the lights on, all with voice-control.

Apple is known for building their devices to support the Apple ecosystem, meaning cross-platform support between a range of devices to make them feel like a part of a web of technology that works even better together.

Apple's HomeKit already has 15 categories of compatible devices that can be controlled with your iPhone or iPad, including lights, door locks, thermostats, fans. With AirPlay 2, they've added Speakers -- like the HomePod -- to the list as well.

Imagine a future where you can control literally every piece of technology in your home just by talking to the HomePod or using your IOS device.

You can even have multiple HomePods set up in different rooms and they'll work together.

While Apple has positioned the device as a premium, high-quality speaker, the accessory is also Apple's answer to intelligent home speakers like Amazon's Echo and Google Home.

With Siri support built in, the speaker is capable of answering basic user queries, controlling HomeKit-connected appliances and playing back media content. HomePod puts a premium on performance and design, with a 3D mesh acoustic fabric enshrouding a 7-tweeter pack, 6-microphone beamforming array and central up-firing subwoofer.

The HomePod will also feature AirPlay 2 technology, which allows one iOS device to simultaneously stream music to multiple speakers at once. Third-party accessory makers will also have the ability to integrate AirPlay 2, but it's not clear whether the HomePod delay will also affect alternative AirPlay 2 certified speakers.

With the iPhone X now available and the HomePod delayed, the only remaining product expected from Apple in 2017 is the all-new iMac Pro. Apple has said that the professional-grade all-in-one desktop will launch in December starting at $4,999.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Of course most who are interested will wait. I doubt there's much question about that. 
    TripleTroublerandominternetpersonjony0muthuk_vanalingambadmonk
  • Reply 2 of 26
    Of course we'll wait...I'm sure it'll be worth it.
    TripleTroublewatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 26
    Here’s another waiting peps, i wanted it perfect rather than half baked product....
    TripleTroublewatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 26
    Apple is very late to this segment. I've had a Sonos system for a couple of years now & the addition of Alexa, control from the Pandora app and other innovations makes it a very good package. The sound is also excellent. I use Amazon prime for my music service as well which works with Alexa and Sonos seamlessly. Even though I have been an apple booster since 2004, I can't see investing in this speaker at all. 
    xzumuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 5 of 26
    Apple is very late to this segment. I've had a Sonos system for a couple of years now & the addition of Alexa, control from the Pandora app and other innovations makes it a very good package. The sound is also excellent. I use Amazon prime for my music service as well which works with Alexa and Sonos seamlessly. Even though I have been an apple booster since 2004, I can't see investing in this speaker at all. 

I wonder what percentage of homes in the US have some sort of "intelligent speaker" today?  Well under 10% I expect.  That will blip up after December 25st, but it will still be a relatively untapped market.  Sure it would be great if Apple had some amazing product available for Black Friday, but they don't.  Personally I have zero interest in bringing Amazon or Google into my home in this way, so this delay affects me not at all.
    propodwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 26
    Why do we need a video for this story?
    First comment, so you're new here and I'll cut you some slack. Cut it out. That's your warning.

You can find our commenting guidelines here:

https://forums.appleinsider.com/discussion/184333/appleinsiders-updated-commenting-guidelines/p1
    fastasleepgatorguychiawatto_cobrahmurchison
  • Reply 7 of 26
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    Betteridge's Law:
    "Any headline that ends in a question mark can be answered by the word no." 

I doubt it would make much difference though, I can't see this selling a lot.  Too dear for what it does.

edited November 2017
  • Reply 8 of 26
    robjnrobjn Posts: 283member
    “the accessory is also Apple's answer to intelligent home speakers like Amazon's Echo and Google Home”

Not exactly. Apple’s speaker is first and foremost a speaker. The media seem intent on spinning a ‘battle of the personal assistants’ narrative. But this is a false narrative with respect to HomePod. It is also a battle Apple is certain to lose since they refuse to play dirty with our privacy.

HomePod introduces ambitious, groundbreaking computational audio that delivers outstanding audio performance. You could just control it from your phone and it’s built in touch controls and never use Siri and you will still have a great product with no equal.

Just look at the market for great sounding AirPlay speakers and you have B&O and Devialet. Then consider that you can buy 4 HomePods for less than the price of 1 Devialet. - It’s a bargain!

So let’s not reduce HomePod to ‘Apple’s answer to the Echo’ and judge it on the basis of what Siri on it can and can’t do, or as an independent platform for developpers to write apps - apps on a speaker are a bad idea!
    macpluspluscalihmurchison
  • Reply 9 of 26
    "With Siri support built in, the speaker is capable of answering basic user queries, controlling HomeKit-connected appliances and playing back media content."

This may be the problem! Siri will look foolish compared to the competition. I'd like to hear a conversation about Siri in an AI podcast. 
    mike54
  • Reply 10 of 26
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    entropys said:
    Betteridge's Law:

I doubt it would make much difference though, I can't see this selling a lot.  Too dear for what it does.

Well, that’s what they said about the iPhone X too isn’t it. Too ‘dear’ for an incremental upgrade they said. And neither you nor we know what it does at this point. The rumor is Apple are rethinking and that’s one of the causes for the delay. 
    StrangeDayscali
  • Reply 11 of 26
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Hopefully they’re adding groundbreaking features.

Maybe an engineer is working on these being more surround sound friendly.

Would also like lighting effects from these. 
  • Reply 12 of 26
    jony0jony0 Posts: 378member
    entropys said:
    Betteridge's Law:

The purpose of the article and phrasing of the question matters though. Betteridge meant to cynically point out a lazy journalistic practice of running a bullshit fact-less story and come up with a click-bait title. This is not the case here, or else the question would've ended with something like :
    " … will most customers buy something else ?" or " … has Apple miss a critical opportunity ?" or our favourite chuckle " … is Apple doomed ?".
  • Reply 13 of 26
    aegeanaegean Posts: 164member
    I will definitely wait.
    edited November 2017
  • Reply 14 of 26
    The choice for me is between this HomePod and Devialet for (undistorted sound) digital speaker system that can do AirPlay, and considers that Devialet is like 3 times more expensive I'm gladly wait.
  • Reply 15 of 26
    Mike006 said:
    "With Siri support built in, the speaker is capable of answering basic user queries, controlling HomeKit-connected appliances and playing back media content."

This may be the problem! Siri will look foolish compared to the competition. I'd like to hear a conversation about Siri in an AI podcast. 
    We talked about this recently, when I expressed my frustration that my Apple Watch could not clearly interpret the name of an album I wanted it to play. The album was "Outrage is Now," and Siri interpreted it as "Outrageous Now" and refused to play anything (even though I specified the artist name as well). A truly intelligent, machine learning system should be able to adapt and contextually interpret what I am saying, especially when I add more specifics.

Siri is good at what it does, but it needs to get a lot better at contextual awareness, true adaptive intelligence, and handling complex queries.
    hmurchison
  • Reply 16 of 26
    jony0 said:
    entropys said:
    Betteridge's Law:

The purpose of the article and phrasing of the question matters though. Betteridge meant to cynically point out a lazy journalistic practice of running a bullshit fact-less story and come up with a click-bait title. This is not the case here, or else the question would've ended with something like :
    " … will most customers buy something else ?" or " … has Apple miss a critical opportunity ?" or our favourite chuckle " … is Apple doomed ?".
    I am familiar with Betteridge's Law, and I, too, hate question headlines. But considering this news is from last week, and it's a big issue that we wanted to discuss in video form, for a very different audience than those that read breaking news daily at AI, I figured a question was an interesting way to spark discussion. Nothing more, nothing less.
  • Reply 17 of 26
    matrix077 said:
    The choice for me is between this HomePod and Devialet for (undistorted sound) digital speaker system that can do AirPlay, and considers that Devialet is like 3 times more expensive I'm gladly wait.
    I really love the Devialet but can't justify the expense. I also love the new Master & Dynamic concrete speaker.

My problem with both: No AirPlay 2 support. Devialet has AirPlay 1, and will hopefully be updated with AirPlay 2. M&D is just Bluetooth and Chromecast. No thanks.

I'm a longtime AirPlay user, and I'm praying that Apple updates the AirPort Express to support AirPlay 2, either with a firmware update, or (less likely) a new 802.11ac model. I also have a relatively recent Denon receiver with AirPlay support that I hope will get the AirPlay 2 update. We've contacted numerous manufacturers about AirPlay 2 support, and their response has been, at best, a collective shrug — it would seem Apple has kept manufacturers in the dark about firmware support, and so they are genuinely unsure whether their devices will be able to support the new standard. That's a shame, and might be one of the reasons the HomePod was delayed.
    matrix077
  • Reply 18 of 26
    I can understand the delay. I supported Damson’s S-Series speakers and eg the certification process for THX, Dolby etc has delayed the product for at least 6 months to go to production. So perhaps Apple has something hidden about HomePod yet to unveil - like ‘hey, btw. we didn’t tell you before, but it has this and that...’
    just wonder how come we have all the rumours about every single component of new iPhones almost a year in advance and what are the struggles, but the sources remain silent about HomePod...
  • Reply 19 of 26
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    nhughes said:
    matrix077 said:
    I really love the Devialet but can't justify the expense. I also love the new Master & Dynamic concrete speaker.

My problem with both: No AirPlay 2 support. Devialet has AirPlay 1, and will hopefully be updated with AirPlay 2. M&D is just Bluetooth and Chromecast. No thanks.

I'm a longtime AirPlay user, and I'm praying that Apple updates the AirPort Express to support AirPlay 2, either with a firmware update, or (less likely) a new 802.11ac model. I also have a relatively recent Denon receiver with AirPlay support that I hope will get the AirPlay 2 update. We've contacted numerous manufacturers about AirPlay 2 support, and their response has been, at best, a collective shrug — it would seem Apple has kept manufacturers in the dark about firmware support, and so they are genuinely unsure whether their devices will be able to support the new standard. That's a shame, and might be one of the reasons the HomePod was delayed.
    Would love to see an Firmware update, next Airport Express should just jump straight to 802.11ax if it ever gets updated.

If Apple isn't making a TV Set, please just let other TV manufacture license AirPlay2 so i can stream it without an Apple TV.
    xzu
  • Reply 20 of 26
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    nhughes said:
    matrix077 said:

I just ordered two SONOS ONE's because they are $25 off for $350.   The price of a HomePod.    I'm only half heartedly going into the SONOS echo system     I'm interested in  playing music but always wanted SONOS to have AIRPlay integration so it would handle podcasts too.   

Siri definitely needs to get better.   It won't have a screen as a crutch to say "here's a website".

Niel, which Battery case did you pick up for your iPhone X.