Redesigned YouTube app returns to Amazon's Echo Show

Posted:
in General Discussion
Amazon has brought a YouTube app back to the display-equipped Echo Show, apparently resolving a conflict with Google over terms of service.

The redesigned app.
The redesigned app.

In its restored form, the app more closely resembles YouTube's Web interface, Voicebot noted on Tuesday. Before service was interrupted in September, Amazon had implemented a custom interface adapted to the Show's 7-inch touchscreen and voice controls.

It's this non-standard layout which led Google to withdraw support, drawing ire from both Amazon and existing Show owners. While the device has other video functions -- such as calls, watching security cameras, and Amazon Video -- YouTube had been an important draw.

The Show now also supports Vimeo and Dailymotion, Amazon said in a statement. Asking Alexa to search for a YouTube video will still display results in the old style.

Apple is due to enter the smartspeaker market next year with the HomePod. The $349 product is mainly focused on high-end audio, with Siri support taking a backseat.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    ... and it should also be noted that searching for a YouTube video uses Bing as the search provider. LOL! My guess is that Google and Amazon still don't see eye-to-eye.
    RobPalmer9badmonk
  • Reply 2 of 10
    BluntBlunt Posts: 224member
    gatorguy said:
    ... and it should also be noted that searching for a YouTube video uses Bing as the search provider. LOL! My guess is that Google and Amazon still don't see eye-to-eye.
     Will save you dozens of adds which is a good thing.
    RobPalmer9[Deleted User]watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 10
    Blunt said:
    gatorguy said:
     Will save you dozens of adds which is a good thing.
    I don't think it matters. The ads are still there, targeted to "your profile" as ever. You just get to enjoy Bing targeted ads too. 
    edited November 2017
  • Reply 4 of 10
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    YouTube has been getting pretty bad with the ads these days.  
    edited November 2017 davenstarwarswatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Amazon Echo ....does anyone actually buy these things???
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 10
    jbdragon said:
    YouTube has been getting pretty bad with the ads these days.  
    Yep. I'm using it less & less, only when necessary. The amount of ads is so annoying. I know that it's life income for some & I want to support them but it's almost like traditional TV now.

Bobber99 said:
    I just don't know why people would bother to use a static screen, and a small one at that, to view video in this age when you can carry your iPad everywhere in your home, even in toilet.
    Or this for someone who doesn't have a tablet?
    edited November 2017 watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 10
    matrix077 said:
    Bobber99 said:
    I just don't know why people would bother to use a static screen, and a small one at that, to view video in this age when you can carry your iPad everywhere in your home, even in toilet.
    Or this for someone who doesn't have a tablet?
    tbh, I have an old lenovo android tablet sat permenantly on my bedside cabinet. it's sole purpose is to be on 24-7 and remotely display my cctv feeds - if I didn't have this I'd probably get an amazon show to do this and have the added bonus of alexa control over my various home smarts. come to think of it, I could probably install alexa/google home app for voice control on the lenovo, hmm.
    edited November 2017
  • Reply 8 of 10
    I wish Amazon withdrew their iOS app and redesigned it to look like an iOS app.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 10
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    and Echo Show is as boring as shitz.
    RobPalmer9watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Now YouTube is going to disappear again. Google is miffed that Amazon won't make Amazon Prime Video/Music available on Google Cast, and that Amazon has removed the newest Nest security products (camera, sensors, etc) since they compete with Amazon's own recent entry into security cameras and products. TBH I'm a bit surprised at Amazon's recent show of force with their removal for sale of products that compete with an Amazon-branded one such as smart speakers (Alexa), security systems (Amazon Cloud Cam), music/video streaming (Firestick) and the like. If there was any doubt that it's Amazon and not Apple keeping Prime Video off Apple TV this should help dispel it. 

Is Amazon already making their move to control mindshare and be a (the?) major driver of connected tech rather than simply a vendor of budget priced consumer-grade hardware and smart assistance? Sure does appear that way to me.
    edited December 2017