2018 iPhone models to boast enhanced LTE transmission, support 4x4 MIMO

Posted:
in iPhone edited November 2017
Apple's next-generation iPhone lineup, due for debut in 2018, will build on LTE antenna technology introduced with iPhone X to support ultra-fast transmissions speeds designated by 4x4 MIMO (multiple input, multiple output) standards.

Source: KGI Research

In a research note to investors on Tuesday, well-connected analyst Ming-Chi Kuo said Apple will likely upgrade its antenna design to include flexible circuit boards crafted from liquid crystal polymer. Compared to FPCBs made from polyamide, LCP models offer superior frequency attenuation, thermal performance and moisture resistance.

Apple currently employs two LCP FCPBs in iPhone X, while the iPhone 8 series sports a single LCP module. Next year, the company is expected to include at least two LCP LTE antenna modules per device, if not more. In addition, the hardware will feature higher specifications to support 4x4 MIMO standards, Kuo says.

Though competing handset makers plan to make the transition to 5G, Apple is seemingly content to maximize the potential of 4G LTE technologies. Samsung's Galaxy S8 was one of the first to support Gigabit speeds, notably through 4x4 MIMO, carrier aggregation and 256 QAM offered in some cities by T-Mobile.

Current Apple supplier Career, which furnishes about 20 to 25 percent of all LCP LTE antenna FPCBs for iPhone X, is predicted to grow its share of orders to 45 to 50 percent in 2018. Since the firm does focuses on FPCB manufacture, not in-house antenna module integration, it might need assistance from other vendors. Kuo sees Luxshare-ICT and Sunway as the most viable candidates.

For 2017, Apple's iPhone LCP modules were supplied by Murata and Amphenol, which were integrated into FPCBs manufactured by Murata and Career.

Earlier this month, Kuo said he expects Apple to release three new iPhone models in 2018, including a 6.5-inch OLED model that will seemingly serve as an up-sized iPhone X. Apple is also said to be working on a new LCD handset with a 6.1-inch display, a model Kuo believes will be aimed at the low-end and mid-range smartphone markets.

Features have yet to be revealed, but the analyst says Apple will likely integrate its advanced TrueDepth camera system in the LCD version as the company moves away from Touch ID to Face ID facial recognition.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    In a perfect world Apple would drop all old models before X and have this amazing lineup:

iPhone X2
    iPhone XL
    iPhone XS

and the budget
    iPhone X

This simple lineup would move development forward so fast.
    libertyforall
  • Reply 2 of 22
    Can't wait for a 6.5" OLED screen iPhone. 
    ClarityToSee
  • Reply 3 of 22
    Gigabit LTE and all of the talk over how the iPhone X/8 doesn’t support it is bizarre. The current bandwidth needs of the vast majority of mobile users are completely satisfied even with a solid 10Mbps connection (which is enough for HD video), even for the foreseeable future. While gigabit LTE may enable faster data from weaker connections vs. the iPhone, is it really worth complaining about? It feels like a complaint about the iPhone just for the sake of it.
    racerhomieClarityToSeedoozydozenwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 22

Features have yet to be revealed, but the analyst says Apple will likely integrate its advanced TrueDepth camera system in the LCD version as the company moves away from Touch ID to Face ID facial recognition.
    Fockin’ A, features have YET to be revealed... No one, at this time, has any idea of what Apple will do next year, outside of continuing to push Face ID... 

Everything else is wild-eyed speculation.

I’ve recently decided I don’t need an iPhone 8 or X... just gonna fly along fine with my old 6s, which I bought with enough extra memory to get me by nicely.
  • Reply 5 of 22
    georgie01 said:
    Gigabit LTE and all of the talk over how the iPhone X/8 doesn’t support it is bizarre. The current bandwidth needs of the vast majority of mobile users are completely satisfied even with a solid 10Mbps connection (which is enough for HD video), even for the foreseeable future. While gigabit LTE may enable faster data from weaker connections vs. the iPhone, is it really worth complaining about? It feels like a complaint about the iPhone just for the sake of it.
    It's a human nature to want better faster things. Give us a reason to complain and we will! 🤣
    Solidoozydozenwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 22
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    georgie01 said:
    Because it is a lot more than that. It leads to higher capacity of Network, Network provider upgrades and better latency. It is not that iPhone doesn't need Gigabit LTE, but Apple likely are working with every Major carrier around the world and know their equipment upgrade cycle. And when Apple pushes Gigabit LTE next year, most carrier are likely ready for it.

But I do understand the concern, that is why I kind of think 5G will be like 3G, there are little incentive for users past a certain level. Massive MIMO, More Spectrum and Refarming, LAA would means current LTE networks getting at least 3 - 5x capacity increase.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 7 of 22
    ClarityToSeeClarityToSee Posts: 34unconfirmed, member
    Apple is right in optimizing the LTE technology to the maximum. For one, there is no 5G as of today. There is no standardization of this new 5G tech yet, no two companies are talking about the same thing when they are talking 5G.  Two, the cellular towers that are required to propagate and conduct the 5G signals are not yet installed and won’t be until 2019-2020. Therefore, what you are seeing in the news or reading in the articles are nothing but marketing stunts with experimental devices and a couple of testing stage cellular towers.
    Personally, my two cents, 4G LTE-advanced is going to be the leading technology for quite a while supporting gigabit speeds.  5G has some major standardization and technical problems to overcome like the higher frequencies allocated under 5G unable to travel farther and unable to travel through the walls, thus limiting it’s effectiveness in deployment. Future is combining and layering radio technologies like 5G alongside 4G and using MIMO, multiple liquid crystal antennas, more bands and more carrier aggregation. Just think of 5G as more stronger radio waves, which can also have a potential impact on your brain. So keep your tin foil hats ready and drink more water. After all, microwaves at your home are nothing more than 6G frequencies operating above 100Ghz of electromagnetic radiation spectrum, while 5G will be just under 100Ghz. 
    edited November 2017 doozydozenlibertyforall
  • Reply 8 of 22
    I don't care. My iPhone 6+ is really starting to show its age, and 1 Gig of RAM is just not enough to run iOS well anymore. I am buying the iPhone 8+ this week from T-Mobile. I also can't stand that damn notch. 
  • Reply 9 of 22
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,630member
    I can see the notch disappearing as apple crams more things into the area.   It would mean that the phone develops a forehead while it loses the chin.   

The notch is ugly.  I do not approve.  I find it unlikely that Steve Jobs would have approved.   But he’s dead now for 6 years.  Six years!
  • Reply 10 of 22
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    Apple seemingly sticking with 4G for the near future makes sense. In my part of the world we have official 4G networks, but download speeds still rarely surpass about 15Mb/s. Which I believe even 3G networks could achieve. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 22
    let's just get it out of the way now...
    Headlines:
    Apple production delays due to key component.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 22
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    I don't care. My iPhone 6+ is really starting to show its age, and 1 Gig of RAM is just not enough to run iOS well anymore. I am buying the iPhone 8+ this week from T-Mobile. I also can't stand that damn notch. 
    Good point about iOS performance.   I was debating between 6S+ and 8+.  Probably go with 8+ because of iOS 11.   Wish we could get RAM upgrades.   4 GB could make those 6's and 6s's last longer.   Wish there was a battery case for 8+ with the 3.5 head phone jack.
  • Reply 13 of 22
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,622member
    Some cities already have gigabit speeds so including the fastest 4.5G compliance hardware makes a lot of sense now as more cities will follow. 

Before 5G becomes a reality for the majority, I can see many users upgrading handsets once or twice. 

In the meantime, having enough antennas and efficient modems on those upgraded handsets to squeeze the most out of 4.5G will offer benefits that go beyond pure speed.
  • Reply 14 of 22
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,905member
    Cell carriers has to deploy(2020/21) extensively 5G before handsets can use it. I rather have LTE with enough network bandwidth so everyone connected can use it at speed when and where. Apple knows better. it will offer 5G when it sees 5G is accessible with sufficient bandwidth on network. Until than 4G LTE-A is for 2018/19. Intel and Qualcomm both going to offer LTE-A and 5G chip set. so no shortage there.
    edited November 2017 ClarityToSee
  • Reply 15 of 22
    eriamjh said:
    I can see the notch disappearing as apple crams more things into the area.   It would mean that the phone develops a forehead while it loses the chin.   

The notch is ugly.  I do not approve.  I find it unlikely that Steve Jobs would have approved.   But he’s dead now for 6 years.  Six years!
    I don’t think we’ll ever see a forehead. If the notch disappears it’ll be that there’s nothing there at all.

For what it’s worth, I wasn’t sure how I’d feel about the notch when I got the X but I’ve come to feel fine with it for the most part. You may be right that Steve wouldn’t have approved but I don’t think the notch is a real problem—it’s rarely distracting (I don’t even mind it with full screen video) and it does add some character to the phone. With that said, I love the rounded screen edges and do look forward to sometime in the future when the notch is gone and the top is like the bottom.
    ClarityToSeewatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 22
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    Points to remember:
    - Theoretical maximum speeds are great to improve upon, to move the overall functionality forward, but the reality is that the spectrum in any given "cell" is shared, and so unless you are in a low population area at 3AM at the optimum distance from the cell antenna, you are not going to get anywhere near the top speeds.
    - 5G is still in the standardization/R&D phase.  It will be many more years before carriers role out a "real network" (not a demonstration / marketing gimmick) into multiple markets.  And I wouldn't expect Apple to support it out of the gate either.  They will follow the path of 3G and LTE - waiting until the power consumption is reasonable.
    - 5G will improve upon the overall throughput available per user, but it is not a miracle solution.  Max speeds will be theoretical only, and not delivered in practice as the spectrum again is shared.
    - 4G (LTE) and its evolution will be what the majority use for the next 5+ years.
  • Reply 17 of 22

Actually you are buying 2 IPhone 8’s from T-mobile, they have a buy one get one free promo.
  • Reply 18 of 22
    Pretty crappy they could not do this with 2017 iPhone X!
    applefanpro
  • Reply 19 of 22
    cali said:
    In a perfect world Apple would drop all old models before X and have this amazing lineup:

iPhone X2
    iPhone XL
    iPhone XS

and the budget
    iPhone X

This simple lineup would move development forward so fast.
    Development of what? Development of iphone is awesome as we’ve seen. Development of iOS apps is also awesome with great apps and a great new language. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 22
    eriamjh said:

you’re bothered by the notch because you’re looking at in pictures. actually using the device is entirely different than looking at pictures. it’s fine. i give it zero thoughts. 
    watto_cobra