Apple celebrates Thanksgiving, Christmas with 'Sway' ad featuring iPhone X, AirPods

Posted:
in iPhone edited November 2017
Apple has started its holiday advertising blitz, with a new music-centric video featuring the AirPods, and the iPhone X and an enraptured couple dancing in the snow.

The video called "Sway" features a dancing couple sharing one set of AirPods. The pair dance to "Palace," by Sam Smith whose music has been featured by Apple in the past.

Apple's tag for the video is "move someone this holiday." Apple notes that the iPhone X is still subject to availability in the tail-end of the spot.

Real love is never a waste of time.
Such an honour for @Apple to choose 'Palace' to soundtrack their holiday advert. I hope you enjoy watching https://t.co/H87Xak5NfU

— Sam Smith (@samsmithworld)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    Lame, uninspiring, overly romanticized, shallow and hollow.

king editor the gratebluefire1
  • Reply 2 of 26
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

Oh look, the Grinch Who Stole Christmas came and dropped a turd on the floor. Maybe someone will put strychnine in your holiday punch this year. Well, we can hope can’t we.
    edited November 2017 LukeCagejony0StrangeDaysentropyspscooter63racerhomielukeiwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 26
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    It was amazing and cute until the end where they go back to playing gender roles.

The man isn't supposed to "harass" the woman and the woman is supposed to wait until the man makes the first move. So they both walk away from each other leaving a depressing finale to an otherwise great ad.
  • Reply 4 of 26
    This would be perfect with a Megadeth song dubbed in. "This Day We Fight" or "Headcrusher" should suffice.
    suddenly newton
  • Reply 5 of 26
    It crazy how people won’t let things just be, but will look to turn anything into a negative. In short Happy Holidays everyone. 
    minicoffeejony0radarthekat
  • Reply 6 of 26
    I know that couple! Its so great they used a real married couple in the dance world to pull this off! And I'm so happy for them!
    mgcjgarrisonminicoffeeStrangeDaysradarthekatentropysracerhomiesuddenly newtonh2p
  • Reply 7 of 26
    Great ad, modern dancing in a public setting (guessing much of it in studio with green screen) and great cinematography. I would have preferred a more dynamic song, but its still OK.
    mgcjgarrisoniqatedo
  • Reply 8 of 26
    Apple celebrating with no holiday discounts for you.
  • Reply 9 of 26
    lkrupp said:

Oh look, the Grinch Who Stole Christmas came and dropped a turd on the floor. Maybe someone will put strychnine in your holiday punch this year. Well, we can hope can’t we.
    No cure for stupid..
    Ya Christmas is coming .. but that is no excuse for lame commercials 
  • Reply 10 of 26
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,301member
    Oy!
  • Reply 11 of 26
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,822member
    I liked it, not knowing what to expect. Imaginative.
  • Reply 12 of 26
    Did nothing for me. Certainly didn’t make me want to buy an Apple product.
  • Reply 13 of 26
    It should have a card at the end that read: “AirPods: they don’t fall out.”
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 14 of 26
    Did nothing for me. Certainly didn’t make me want to buy an Apple product.
    Oh yes, good thing we have the most vocal critic of apple marketing on this forum to let us know what’s an effective ad or not. Poor Apple! when will they get it right!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 26
    cali said:
    It was amazing and cute until the end where they go back to playing gender roles.

The man isn't supposed to "harass" the woman and the woman is supposed to wait until the man makes the first move. So they both walk away from each other leaving a depressing finale to an otherwise great ad.
    Christ, if you’re reading all of those social and gender roles into this ad you’re viewing it wrong. Seriously. The only one pushing messages like that is you, this is a dance piece. As for the end I’ve seen and performed in dance companies and an ending where the two walk away after a moving duet is common, almost cliche. It’s not depressing.

Techies really need to get out and do more. Go to plays, see the opera, and learn what actual people enjoy in real life. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 26
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    It's too bad her fantasy man, couldn't just pair his AirPods to her phone, so they could both experience her fantasy fully emerged in stereo sound. You know, like you used to be able to do with wired headphones and a headphone jack splitter. In fact, wasn't there an iPod commercial where they did that? Who can remember ...

Still hard to believe a year after these things came out there's no way to pair two sets to the same device. Unless there is and I just missed it? That would have been the feature to show off in this commercial if so ...

edited November 2017
  • Reply 17 of 26
    foggyhill said:
    Great ad, modern dancing in a public setting (guessing much of it in studio with green screen) and great cinematography. I would have preferred a more dynamic song, but its still OK.
    No not green screen. I saw them filming. They were the next street over from where we were filming 😊
  • Reply 18 of 26
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    This is too much of an AirPods ad.

>:x
  • Reply 19 of 26
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    sdp4462 said:
    foggyhill said:
    No not green screen. I saw them filming. They were the next street over from where we were filming 😊
    There must have been some green screen, but maybe a lot less than what I was thinking.
    If they were using 100% practical effects, well then that's fantastic
  • Reply 20 of 26
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,350member
    cali said:

What a load of crap. 
    tallest skil