Apple's 'iPhone SE 2' rumored to ship in first half of 2018, made in India

Comments

• Reply 21 of 74
    mac_128 said:
    adm1 said:
    Wish everyone would stop calling it the budget iPhone. For most of us, it's the size that counts, not the cost - if it were specced and priced the same as the iPhone 8, similar to what Sony did with they're Z range, I'm sure it would still sell in the millions. 

Battery upgrade is a welcome boost, I've been impressed by my wife's iPhone 8 battery life so if it's at least on par with that I'd be delighted.
    Apple product marketing associate size with price.  Bigger the size, the higher price, give the same features.  The SE model is classified as the iPhones "budget" model.  According to the AT&T sales rep, theses are the people who cannot afford the "regular" iPhone, so they buy the SE, who are usually the older people and those on assistance.  No middle school and higher person would consider carrying an SE!  Take away the status of the iPhone because it the poor people's iPhone!
    And while there may be some truth to that, it certainly bodes well for a restyled SE 2, so the SE can drop to a truly budget configuration for around $199.
    Apple may drop the price of the SE to clear out inventory, but don’t expect it to last.  Apple has time of obsolescence in mind when they sell new phones.  They want to have any phone sold to be able to be upgraded to the latest OS for 4 years (the life of the phone).  This is how Apple maintain an excellent reputation...  continuing to sell old hardware isn’t advantageous to their Brand.

—x—
    Some people may not buy the SE do to perceived cheapness, but that’s not what the SE is.  The SE stands for Special Edition.  The C model IPhone was supposed to fill the “cheap” role.  Apple killed that line off, likely because of what I mentioned above about the Apple Brand. 
    baconstangGeorgeBMaconix
  • Reply 22 of 74
    I love my iPhone SE. loved my 5S before it. While I would really like the A11 chip to be in this, I might still buy it if it only has an A10 so long as they keep the headphone jack and the present Touch ID button vs the force touch version or whatever it is that’s different about the iPhone 7 and newer. The A9 does all I need it to do so I am in no rush to upgrade but knowing apples track record if I want the headphone jack for the foreseeable future I may have to buy this one in March, assuming it even has a jack.
    Present SE fingerprint reader is not as accurate as the non mechanical built-in to the newer technology iPhons!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 74
    I love my iPhone SE. loved my 5S before it. While I would really like the A11 chip to be in this, I might still buy it if it only has an A10 so long as they keep the headphone jack and the present Touch ID button vs the force touch version or whatever it is that’s different about the iPhone 7 and newer. The A9 does all I need it to do so I am in no rush to upgrade but knowing apples track record if I want the headphone jack for the foreseeable future I may have to buy this one in March, assuming it even has a jack.
    Present SE fingerprint reader is not as accurate as the non mechanical built-in to the newer technology iPhons!
    That looks like one of the differences between the SE and 6s, though they do share the same processor.
  • Reply 24 of 74
    tshapitshapi Posts: 370member
    I think the SE2 will have a 4” model and the 4.7” model 
    ksec
  • Reply 25 of 74
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    Just make it the features of an 8 in the SE size. Instant buy.
    and by that I mean an A11 chip, camera, force touch, etc. basically an iPhone 8 in a smaller form factor. The only meaningful difference would be size.
    edited November 2017 GeorgeBMacboogerman2000cornchip
  • Reply 26 of 74
    cali said:
    The real surprise will be the design. hopefully an SE in a 6 shell.
    Huh?

If you want the guts of 6 in a 6 shell, buy a 6.
    baconstangGeorgeBMacmike1doozydozen
  • Reply 27 of 74
    entropys said:
    Just make it the features of an 8 in the SE size. Instant buy.
    and by that I mean an A11 chip, camera, force touch, etc. basically an iPhone 8 in a smaller form factor. The only meaningful difference would be size.
    Agreed.

Actually, I'm somewhat agitated that Apple doesn't do exactly that.  When the SE was first released in Spring 2016, it contained all the guts of the iPhone 6S that had been released 6 months before.  I was hoping/expecting to see an update this past spring to iPhone 7 guts, and then see it upgraded to iPhone 8 guts in Spring 2018.  Oh well.
    baconstangwatto_cobracornchip
  • Reply 28 of 74
    I still like that design. For Halloween, I decorated using a HDTV connected up to my old iPhone 5 (running an older iOS, but still works). I put some YouTube videos on there to play for the kids who came to visit. I hadn’t used the 5/5s/5c/SE form factor in a long time, and I marveled at how useable, light, and slim that model was. And I know people who still use 5s models, despite the Internet trolls spinning the “disappointed” narrative when it was introduced.

Rather than paint it as out of date, I consider it one of Apple’s best designs: the quintessential iPhone. The refinement of Apple’s original design.

I wouldn’t mind if Apple introduced an updated iPod Touch with A10 and upgraded cameras and wireless.
    The IPhone 5s is the oldest phone supported in IO 11.  It’s reported to be a bit slow, but still works fine.

I was considering buying the IPhone SE recently, but the price is high when considering the age of the hardware.  If Apple keeps the same price point for the SE2 it will be a fantastic value.

I ended up refurbishing an IPhone 6s (cracked screen) at the Apple Store.  It’s now in mint condition and should be supported for IOS upgrades for the next 2 years.

My sister had the 6s sitting in a drawer collecting dust.  It’s amazing the number of people that buy new phones and don’t realize the value of the old one, even “broken”.  

The 6s is a good size at 4.7” but the 4” (SE) is better if you keep it in your pocket while sitting.  

Women probably prefer the larger phones because they lack useable pockets anyways.  The 4” is a bit small for male “power” users, but the portability is great and the “phone + music” functions work well.  Kids prefer larger than 4” for the games... 
    I was considering buying the IPhone SE recently, but the price is high when considering the age of the hardware.  - Come on, you are talking about a phone which is faster than all of the fastest Android phones out there in the world. When it comes to value for money, there is nothing to beat SE in the iPhone line up.
    The IPhone 6s that I refurbished cost me $150 for the new screen.  The IPhone SE starts at $349 for 32Gb.  The 6s has 64Gb and has better specs on the screen, camera, etc.

The IPhone SE is getting old in the tooth that’s why the SE2 is coming out.  I would consider the SE2 if it was out (if I didn’t get a great deal on the 6s).

If someone was considering the SE, I’d tell them to wait for the SE2.

You “cherry picked” what to comment on... I also called the SE2 a “fantastic value”.
    Could have sold that iPhone 6s for $250+ even with the cracked screen. Then the SE would have only cost you $100. Disingenuous to say the 6s cost you $150 but the SE would have cost you $350. SE runs slightly faster than the 6s with better battery life too. has the same rear camera. Only 2 yr old hardware in the phone. still, looking forward to an SE2.
    edited November 2017 pscooter63baconstang
  • Reply 29 of 74
    sandorsandor Posts: 658member

Women probably prefer the larger phones because they lack useable pockets anyways...

what world do you live in?

the only anecdotal correlations i have seen in my daily interaction with dozens of new people everyday revolve around age, vision & gadget-loving.
    increased age, decreased vision & love of the new always seem to draw people to larger screens, but i have never seen gender playing a role at all.
    edited November 2017
  • Reply 30 of 74
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,337member
    That looks like one of the differences between the SE and 6s, though they do share the same processor.
    I believe the non mechanical home button started on the iPhone 7, not the 6s.
    watto_cobraGeorgeBMaccornchip
  • Reply 31 of 74
    jcs2305 said:
    Could be... I was looking at this.  Touch ID gen1 vs. gen2

iPhone 6s vs iPhone SE: Specs

Here’s the specs for the iPhone 6s:

• Display: 4.7-inch display with a 1334x750-pixel resolution at 326 pixels per inch ppi; 1400 to 1 contrast ratio; Dual-domain pixels for wide viewing angles
    • Dimensions: 138.3mm x 67.1mm x 7.1mm
    • Weight: 143 grams
    • Storage: 16, 64, or 128GB
    • Processors: A9 chip with 64-bit architecture and M9 motion coprocessor
    • Front camera: FaceTime HD camera. 5 MP photos and 720p HD video.
    • Rear camera: iSight camera. 12 MP photos. ƒ/2.2 aperture. 1080p video. True Tone flash.
    • Battery: 1715 mAh. Up to 12 hours battery life mixed usage
    • Touch ID: yes (2nd generation)
    • NFC: yes

And here’s the specs for the iPhone SE:

• Display: 4-inch Retina HD display with 1136x640 resolution at 326 pixels per inch (ppi); 800 to 1 contrast ratio
    • Dimensions: 123.8mm x 58.6 mm x 7.6 mm
    • Weight: 113 grams
    • Storage: 16 or 64GB
    • Front camera: FaceTime camera. 1.2 MP photos and 720p HD video.
    • Rear camera: iSight camera. 12 MP photos. ƒ/2.2 aperture. 1080p video. True Tone flash.
    • Battery: 1642 mAh. Up to 12 hours battery life mixed usage
    • Touch ID: yes (1st generation)
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 74
    schlack said:
    I still like that design. For Halloween, I decorated using a HDTV connected up to my old iPhone 5 (running an older iOS, but still works). I put some YouTube videos on there to play for the kids who came to visit. I hadn’t used the 5/5s/5c/SE form factor in a long time, and I marveled at how useable, light, and slim that model was. And I know people who still use 5s models, despite the Internet trolls spinning the “disappointed” narrative when it was introduced.

Rather than paint it as out of date, I consider it one of Apple’s best designs: the quintessential iPhone. The refinement of Apple’s original design.

I wouldn’t mind if Apple introduced an updated iPod Touch with A10 and upgraded cameras and wireless.
    The IPhone 5s is the oldest phone supported in IO 11.  It’s reported to be a bit slow, but still works fine.

I was considering buying the IPhone SE recently, but the price is high when considering the age of the hardware.  If Apple keeps the same price point for the SE2 it will be a fantastic value.

I ended up refurbishing an IPhone 6s (cracked screen) at the Apple Store.  It’s now in mint condition and should be supported for IOS upgrades for the next 2 years.

My sister had the 6s sitting in a drawer collecting dust.  It’s amazing the number of people that buy new phones and don’t realize the value of the old one, even “broken”.  

The 6s is a good size at 4.7” but the 4” (SE) is better if you keep it in your pocket while sitting.  

Women probably prefer the larger phones because they lack useable pockets anyways.  The 4” is a bit small for male “power” users, but the portability is great and the “phone + music” functions work well.  Kids prefer larger than 4” for the games... 
    I was considering buying the IPhone SE recently, but the price is high when considering the age of the hardware.  - Come on, you are talking about a phone which is faster than all of the fastest Android phones out there in the world. When it comes to value for money, there is nothing to beat SE in the iPhone line up.
    The IPhone 6s that I refurbished cost me $150 for the new screen.  The IPhone SE starts at $349 for 32Gb.  The 6s has 64Gb and has better specs on the screen, camera, etc.

The IPhone SE is getting old in the tooth that’s why the SE2 is coming out.  I would consider the SE2 if it was out (if I didn’t get a great deal on the 6s).

You “cherry picked” what to comment on... I also called the SE2 a “fantastic value”.
    Could have sold that iPhone 6s for $250+ even with the cracked screen. Then the SE would have only cost you $100. Disingenuous to say the 6s cost you $150 but the SE would have cost you $350. SE runs slightly faster than the 6s with better battery life too. has the same rear camera. Only 2 yr old hardware in the phone. still, looking forward to an SE2.
    In the original comment I didn’t include the price.  I wasn’t suggesting you could buy an IPhone 6s for $150, that’s what I paid to replace the screen by Apple (so the total cost for my mint condition 6s was $150) .  I paid nothing for the phone in it’s broken state.  In an earlier comment I was suggesting people ask around.  My sister had the broken phone sitting in a drawer...

To some it up, I don’t consider the current IPhone SE a good deal at $350 but the SE2 should be a “fantastic” value with the projected specs.  In other words, waiting for the SE2 is recommended.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 74
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    schlack said:

In the original comment I didn’t include the price.  I wasn’t suggesting you could buy an IPhone 6s for $150, that’s what I paid to replace the screen by Apple (so the total cost for my mint condition 6s was $150) .  I paid nothing for the phone in it’s broken state.  In an earlier comment I was suggesting people ask around.  My sister had the broken phone sitting in a drawer...

To some it up, I don’t consider the current IPhone SE a good deal at $350 but the SE2 should be a “fantastic” value with the projected specs.  In other words, waiting for the SE2 is recommended.
    It is a good deal if you want a smaller sized phone.  You have no other choice. 
    cgWerksbaconstang
  • Reply 34 of 74
    oldenboomoldenboom Posts: 30unconfirmed, member
    wood1208 said:
    SE 2 will continue ride onto the success of SE in that market, India and surrounding nations. For western world, current SE is pretty much least of choice in iPhone lineup unless in future takes iPhone X characteristic. What Phone user's like ? More screen real estate(thin bezel,edge to edge screen,as little top/bottom space for camera/sensors,etc) in whatever frame put into is everyone's desire. Hoping for next year's LCD iPhone 8S / Plus have same/similar frame size but reflects iPhone X characteristic. When you put iPhone X next to 8 and 8 Plus; that top/bottom large spaces hits you in decision making with less desire to buy 8 / Plus over perfect iPhone X. Someday, Apple's dream of one slab of glass iPhone will come to fruition/realization.
    How come you happen to know what phone users like? For instance, I couldn't care less about about more screen real estate. If that top/bottom space hits you in your decision making then say so. But please don't generalize it to "everyone's desire", as it's not true. I'll buy the SE2, no matter what.
    cgWerksbaconstangmike1
  • Reply 35 of 74
    jcs2305 said:
    Could be... I was looking at this.  Touch ID gen1 vs. gen2

iPhone 6s vs iPhone SE: Specs

Here’s the specs for the iPhone 6s:

• Display: 4.7-inch display with a 1334x750-pixel resolution at 326 pixels per inch ppi; 1400 to 1 contrast ratio; Dual-domain pixels for wide viewing angles
    • Dimensions: 138.3mm x 67.1mm x 7.1mm
    • Weight: 143 grams
    • Storage: 16, 64, or 128GB
    • Front camera: FaceTime HD camera. 5 MP photos and 720p HD video.
    • Battery: 1715 mAh. Up to 12 hours battery life mixed usage
    • Touch ID: yes (2nd generation)

And here’s the specs for the iPhone SE:

• Display: 4-inch Retina HD display with 1136x640 resolution at 326 pixels per inch (ppi); 800 to 1 contrast ratio
    • Dimensions: 123.8mm x 58.6 mm x 7.6 mm
    • Weight: 113 grams
    • Storage: 16 or 64GB
    • Front camera: FaceTime camera. 1.2 MP photos and 720p HD video.
    • Battery: 1642 mAh. Up to 12 hours battery life mixed usage
    • Touch ID: yes (1st generation)
    I think 3D touch is only available on the 6s, that's a major difference.
  • Reply 36 of 74
    If the SE2 is real, it'll have an A11, not an A10.

When the SE came out, it shipped with Apple's latest/best chip, the A9. When the 2015 iPod Touch came out, it featured Apple's latest/best chip, the A8. The pattern is pretty clear — when Apple releases a new product that isn't intended to be on an annual update schedule, they use their best tech, it's going to have a long shelf life.
    baconstangksecwatto_cobraonixcornchip
  • Reply 37 of 74
    cali said:

Or the iPhone SE X the sexiest iPhone ever. 

I was disappointed with the new names when Apple upgraded their Macs to the 68030 processor:

Mac II  -->  Mac IIx
    new:    Mac IIcx
    Mac SE  -->  Mac SE/30

Missed it by *that* much.
    watto_cobracornchip
  • Reply 38 of 74
    Eric_WVGG said:

When the SE came out, it shipped with Apple's latest/best chip, the A9. When the 2015 iPod Touch came out, it featured Apple's latest/best chip, the A8. The pattern is pretty clear — when Apple releases a new product that isn't intended to be on an annual update schedule, they use their best tech, it's going to have a long shelf life.
    Never going to happen.  It is in the budget phone category, meaning lower cost, cheaper components and that signature of the SE model.  Ever mid-school children avoid have this  SE iPhone.
    edited November 2017
  • Reply 39 of 74
    Eric_WVGG said:

Agreed! 

A11!
    baconstangEric_WVGG
  • Reply 40 of 74
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    re: "The phone is unlikely to have any of the distinguishing features of the iPhone 8 or X, such as wireless charging, Face ID, or an edge-to-edge display."

Pshew! :)

Hopefully it has the 3.5mm jack still as well. Now, if I could just talk my wife into my SE and I can buy this instead of the other way around...
    But, if it has the A10 (or A11), that extends the lifespan of a usable iPhone a good bit.

sandor said:
    Women probably prefer the larger phones because they lack useable pockets anyways...
    what world do you live in?

the only anecdotal correlations i have seen in my daily interaction with dozens of new people everyday revolve around age, vision & gadget-loving.
    increased age, decreased vision & love of the new always seem to draw people to larger screens, but i have never seen gender playing a role at all.
    Well, I'm semi-advanced in age, have decreased vision, and ***LOVE*** new tech... and I want the SE. (Sorry to throw a bump in your data.)
    I'd guess they might be correct that with women more likely to carry purses, maybe they care a bit less about pocket-ability.

But, the big factor is more likely how much the phone is used in place of tablet, laptop, or desktop. If the phone is your primary device, you'll trade off convenience for screen space. If it's an accessory (i.e.: smart-PHONE) but you primarily work on a laptop/desktop, or tablet, then you'll care less about screen size.

harry wild said:
    Never going to happen.  It is in the budget phone category, meaning lower cost, cheaper components and that signature of the SE model.  Ever mid-school children avoid have this  SE iPhone.
    Apple stupidly combined the two factors so they'll not have to face whether a smaller size is popular or not. Then ignorant people can make statements like this.
    edited November 2017 baconstangonix