Mockups envision 'iPhone X Plus' and 'iPhone SE 2' with edge to edge displays, Face ID

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 52
    dav0102 said:
    Should be called iPhone XL(extra Large)
    The iPhone “40”?
  • Reply 42 of 52
    I really want an SE like that. I think the sensors would fill the entire top of the phone, but would be ok with that. 
  • Reply 43 of 52
    iPhone SE isn’t going to happen with an oled screen.
    I actually prefer lcd so would be ok with that. 
  • Reply 44 of 52
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    You guys have way too much idle time on your hands - do you even have a job?
    Different time zones
  • Reply 45 of 52
    ne4now76 said:
    Samsung is allegedly releasing a mini galaxy that has me tempted.  When I switched to Iphone, I swore I would never go back but the glitchy ios (like android always was but ios wasnt), mixed with a "bigger phones" sales model, is compelling me to look at the competition again.  Hopefully apple considers more options.   
    http://www.androidguys.com/2017/11/14/samsung-galaxy-s9-mini-rumored-to-arrive-in-2018-with-a-4-inch-display/

Do you know that the Samsung Galaxy S9 Mini will have a screen size of about 5" to 5.2"? In dimensions, it will be much similar to iPhone 6/7/8, which you say is NOT as comfortable to hold as SE. There is only ONE Android phone which is closest to SE in terms of size AND performance - Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact. All other phones are either much larger or way too inferior in performance or both (majority of them fall under this category). To top the dimensions similar to iPhone 6/7/8, Samsung Galaxy S9 Mini will have lousy performance due to poor software optimization. Hard to imagine you will be satisfied with that one.

Edit: The link that you mentioned has 4" for S9 Mini, but I remember reading another article which mentioned about 5.2" size for the Mini.

edited November 2017 ne4now76
  • Reply 46 of 52
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,360member
    The SE is a great little phone. But anybody is high if they think it's going to get any serious updating. Processor, sure. More storage, possibly. More RAM, not likely. MAYBE a Gen 2 TouchID. Better screen, probably not. Force Touch/3D Touch, no. And no way will it get OLED. 

I wish the X had the same flat sides as the SE. I think there's an SE in my future.
    baconstang
  • Reply 47 of 52
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    tshapi said:
    I suspect that the 4.7 and 5.5 would be the new additions for the iPhone SE
    I agree:  Apple wanted a low cost phone.  They failed trying to make a cheap phone (what was it? The all plastic 5C? where C stood for either China or Cheap).   So instead, they kept old manufacturing processes going and reduced hardware costs that way.

In addition, by selling millions of them, they were able to reduce the unit costs of its software operations.  That is:  the cost of developing an updated OS is the same whether Apple sells a million phones or a billion.  But the cost per phone goes down with each additional phone sold.

So, I agree with you:  the new "SE" when it comes out will NOT be locked into a form factor as much as it will be an updated version of an older model...  It probably won't even be called an SE.

That said:  I suspect that Apple is aware of the popularity of the form factor and I think the possibility of us seeing an SE-X is far higher than most believe.  But it won't be cheap.
  • Reply 48 of 52
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    No iPhone size will left behind. Apple is covering every size/shape/features/etc iPhone bases and ready to fire hardest at competition. In 2018, iPhone SE2, XS, XS+, 8S, 8S+ with FaceID, max screen area with thin bezel, own CPU/GPU/NEURAL processor, Intel 1.6G LTE, 5G chipset, AR,... list goes on. With fewer and fewer users want or hanging on to smaller screen phones, Apple can not just get by with same SE with updated internals. Has to either drop it from the iPhone line or give uplift with iPhone X kind of features.
    edited November 2017
  • Reply 49 of 52
    Hands on? The iPhone X looks feminine, yet less svelte than the 8 / 8+.  A bit like a $1000+ device for the rich. All 3 devices scream Dolce & Gabbana bling.. yuk. 

The notch? Ugly mistake imo. 

The SE remains great. Leave the headphone jack. Add force touch / Taptic engine. Sold.

baconstang
  • Reply 50 of 52
    I agree:  Apple wanted a low cost phone.  They failed trying to make a cheap phone (what was it? The all plastic 5C? where C stood for either China or Cheap).   So instead, they kept old manufacturing processes going and reduced hardware costs that way.

With the exception of the 4/4S, the 5c was Apple's best-ever hardware design. The plastic was easy to grip, the weight was just a little bit heavier than the underweight 5, and the design was very simple and straightforward with color. Nothing about it felt cheap. I don't think Apple wanted (or wants) a "low cost" phone. They heard the demand for a small phone, they found an efficient way to do it, and it happened to be very inexpensive for them to produce. I like my SE a lot. I *loved* my 5c, but I like the SE. Would love to see it get force touch, though I don't think it will.
    edited November 2017
  • Reply 51 of 52
    ne4now76 said:
    Samsung is allegedly releasing a mini galaxy that has me tempted.  When I switched to Iphone, I swore I would never go back but the glitchy ios (like android always was but ios wasnt), mixed with a "bigger phones" sales model, is compelling me to look at the competition again.  Hopefully apple considers more options.   
    http://www.androidguys.com/2017/11/14/samsung-galaxy-s9-mini-rumored-to-arrive-in-2018-with-a-4-inch-display/

Do you know that the Samsung Galaxy S9 Mini will have a screen size of about 5" to 5.2"? In dimensions, it will be much similar to iPhone 6/7/8, which you say is NOT as comfortable to hold as SE. There is only ONE Android phone which is closest to SE in terms of size AND performance - Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact. All other phones are either much larger or way too inferior in performance or both (majority of them fall under this category). To top the dimensions similar to iPhone 6/7/8, Samsung Galaxy S9 Mini will have lousy performance due to poor software optimization. Hard to imagine you will be satisfied with that one.

Edit: The link that you mentioned has 4" for S9 Mini, but I remember reading another article which mentioned about 5.2" size for the Mini.

Ive seen a couple places where they say the "mini" could have as small as a 4" screen. I would be ok with that as well. I still use my 1st gen ipod touch for streaming podcasts and listening to music.  Actually looking at it right now I can say that I would be thrilled with a full featured phone with similar dimensions. The device itself is about 4.25" tall and the screen is about 3" tall.  I could definitely get by with a phone this size that was "all screen," but would prefer something closer to the dimensions of the 5. But definitely no bigger than that.  
    I also like that the alleged mini samsung will be full-featured and am wishful that apple would do the same. 
    however: If apple wanted to make the "SE" a cheaper option without making it seem cheap, they could stick w/ retina display, plastic back it, lower spec cam, and market it as a "sport" model.   
    edited November 2017
  • Reply 52 of 52
    I'm so old and have seen this kind of stuff so many times, I'm with the program. In no particular order: Apple knows exactly what next fall's phones will be like. Given the complexity of the hardware for Face ID, I can't see it spreading to anything other than a Plus-size iPhone X. And back to prognization by the pros: Apple engages in disinformation and all "seers" fall for it. Kuo's rep rests on being wrong a relatively low percentage of the time, not in always being right. Me, I'll believe this when I see it. Personally, my prediction is: iPhone 8s or 9 next and after the 9 a 10 exactly like the X but with a better chip. With the 10 (not X), the home button dies for good.