Editorial: Thankful for iPhone X

Comments

• Reply 21 of 70
    avon b7 said:
    "Google cranked out such turds as the HTC Nexus 7, the LG Nexus 5X, the Motorola Nexus 6, Huawei Nexus 6P, Pixel C and the LG Pixel 2 XL to critical acclaim just prior to everyone realizing that these products were steaming hot piles of excrement that nobody wanted to own."

Should we now refer to Apple's Foxconn iPhone X? 

It reads like the only reason to include those manufacturers was to associate them in the mind of the reader with the words 'turd' and 'stealing' hot piles of excrement'.

All of the named manufacturers are capable of producing outstanding quality phones. The only difference with regards to Apple is that they also produce phones at other end of the price spectrum where, logically, the quality isn't the same.

In the case of the Nexus lines, only Google knows what quality levels it signed off.
    Did google design all of that hardware in house? Or did the manufacturers?
    netmagewatto_cobraradarthekatchiapscooter63patchythepirate
  • Reply 22 of 70
    Why I prefer Apple's iOS to Android: A friend of mine handed me his Android phone to take a picture. Before I could snap the shutter, the camera app popped up an ad. 
    watto_cobraradarthekatchiamagman1979jony0
  • Reply 23 of 70
    Spheric said:

Dracarys said:

MS Office is the best suite out there when it comes to productivity. There's a reason why it's the most used by far.
    Reason #1: lack of options twenty years ago. 
    Reason #2: entrenchment in business environments.

Both reasons you cite are very true.  And I would add that since MS controlled the OS platform for most of the desktop computer industry, they also came to control the major apps that ran on it by sabotaging competing office suites.  Recall the motto of MS developers way back then: "DOS isn't done 'til Lotus won't run".  Somewhat like IBM's ubiquitous punchcard format several decades earlier, once MS Office became entrenched in the industry, it became almost impossible to dislodge it.
    StrangeDayswatto_cobrapropodchiapscooter63magman1979jony0
  • Reply 24 of 70
    flydogflydog Posts: 1,123member
    Sad commentary on society when someone makes it a point to be thankful for a phone, rather than for our family, friends, or health. The world would certainly go on without iPhones. 
    avon b7singularitymuthuk_vanalingamdasanman69
  • Reply 25 of 70
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,622member
    avon b7 said:
    "Google cranked out such turds as the HTC Nexus 7, the LG Nexus 5X, the Motorola Nexus 6, Huawei Nexus 6P, Pixel C and the LG Pixel 2 XL to critical acclaim just prior to everyone realizing that these products were steaming hot piles of excrement that nobody wanted to own."

It reads like the only reason to include those manufacturers was to associate them in the mind of the reader with the words 'turd' and 'stealing' hot piles of excrement'.

All of the named manufacturers are capable of producing outstanding quality phones. The only difference with regards to Apple is that they also produce phones at other end of the price spectrum where, logically, the quality isn't the same.

In the case of the Nexus lines, only Google knows what quality levels it signed off.
    Did google design all of that hardware in house? Or did the manufacturers?
    Impossible to know but Google signed off on all aspects of the design and manufacturing so it was Google that set the standards.

I very much doubt they simply said 'give us a phone to stick our name on and run with'.

Either way, I don't see the need to include the manufacturers in the paragraph, unless of course we are going to label iPhones in a similar fashion. After all, Apple even made a point of separating design and manufacturing: 'Designed by Apple in California. Assembled in China".

• Reply 26 of 70
    Thanks for such an good write up of Apples efforts and where they currently stand. After being an Apple Customer since the first iPhone and getting a new one every year, I look forward to seeing what the future holds as I don't see it with any other cell phone maker today.
    Martin57watto_cobrachiamagman1979jony0
  • Reply 27 of 70
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Ah, a bunch of anti-DED first-time posters mysteriously starting to show up...

He is surely hitting some sore spots. 
    DED has the nack. He really brings ‘em out from under the bridge.
    SoliMartin57StrangeDayswatto_cobraJWSCchiapscooter63magman1979patchythepiratejony0
  • Reply 28 of 70
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Thanks for telling it like it is, DED! From 2007...

Chris DeSalvo’s reaction to the iPhone was immediate and visceral. “As a consumer I was blown away. I wanted one immediately. But as a Google engineer, I thought ‘We’re going to have to start over.’”
    tmayMartin57StrangeDayswatto_cobraRayz2016propodchiapscooter63magman1979jony0
  • Reply 29 of 70
    flydog said:
    Sad commentary on society when someone makes it a point to be thankful for a phone, rather than for our family, friends, or health. The world would certainly go on without iPhones. 
    But your contact with family and friends, and many’s health would certainly have suffered without the smartphone and Watch.
    mainyehcMartin57watto_cobraJWSCradarthekatchiamagman1979patchythepirate
  • Reply 30 of 70
    flydog said:
    I didn’t realize this article was supposed to be a commentary on society.  It is an article on AppleInsider where people talk about Apple products.  
    anantksundaramMartin57bonobobStrangeDaysJWSCradarthekatchiamagman1979jony0
  • Reply 31 of 70
    Haters gonna hate, but the fact of the matter is that DED always told it like it was, from the early days of RoughlyDrafted, and, to this day, he rarely got one of his predictions or assessments wrong.

Personally, I’ve been kicking myself for not having bought Apple stock in 2004 (during the ramp up of the iPod halo effect), then in 2006 (after the switch from PowerPC to Intel), then in 2007 (after the introduction of the original iPhone), and the list goes on, and on, and on… You see, DED’s articles were one of the three or four sources of info (another notable example being John Gruber’s) that I needed to know that doing so was a good idea and a sound investment, I just lacked the capital and guts to actually go through with it.

Anyway, if I may add, amen to fixing Siri and Apple Maps search. The former still isn’t available in my native accent/variant (we’re still limited to Brazilian Portuguese, which I don’t really get why, seeing that Brazilian Siri can understand our accent just fine already and macOS features great European Portuguese voice packs, even better than the also native but crappy Maps’ GPS voice we have to put up with – I mean, what’s up with it getting tone syllables wrong in important, general purpose direction verbs like “stay”, let alone in street names? It sounds uncannily robotic *and* ridiculous), and the latter, well… to put it nicely, it sucks balls (it ignores context altogether and has a penchant to send me into streets across the country or even in Brazil if I don’t get the name *just* right – confusing “Av.” with “St.” is a surefire way to get it to make stupid assessments –, mass transit and bike lane directions are still yet to be supported and there’s a dearth of POI and business data when compared to Google Maps).
    edited November 2017 Martin57watto_cobraRayz2016propodchiamagman1979
  • Reply 32 of 70

netmage said:
    flydog said:
    But your contact with family and friends, and many’s health would certainly have suffered without the smartphone and Watch.
    ^ This. Apple always had these commercials featuring FaceTime, and seeing that I maintained a long-distance relationship for a while, half of my core group of friends migrated to London and now I also have nephews growing up abroad, I can definitely relate to that sentiment.

Tim also makes a point of mentioning all the touching stories of people whose very lives were saved by iPhones and Apple Watches; we can’t really overlook those, now, can we?
    edited November 2017 watto_cobraradarthekatchiamagman1979jony0
  • Reply 33 of 70
    Daniel:  this was a great piece. In my opinion it’s says it all. I have the iPhone X and it nothing short of astounding.  To all those malcontents who whine about the article being too long, or disingenuous, or all the other things in the world we should be thankful for, wake up!  Technology drives much of our lives, and Apple has clearly steered clear of all the venal aspects such such as fake news, massive advertising and insufficient privacy.  At my Thanksgiving dinner, people talked exclusively about their lives and the things they were thankful for and the sad things going on in the world and our country right now. No one said they were thankful for the new iPhone. But, if something makes you feel good, makes you smile and advances your everyday life in terms of genuine commiunications with family and friends, access to great music, and tv experiences and instant information about what’s going on in the world around them, then there is nothing wrong at all about appreciating the great advances that Apple has made.  Are they perfect? No, but even they recognize that.  And others have made great strives as well.  Relax, eat some leftover turkey and send a funny Animoji to your favorite people..
    Martin57RonnnieOwatto_cobrachiamagman1979jony0
  • Reply 34 of 70
    Rayz2016 said:
    Well, that certainly was … long. 

Best comment so far  :D

Must be incredibly tough being an editor and having to come up with meaningful editorials on a repeating schedule - I couldn't even begin to do that job.
  • Reply 35 of 70
    flydog said:
    “The world would certainly go on without iPhones.”

I’m heartened that you have a firm grasp of the obvious. 

-MAS 
    watto_cobraRayz2016radarthekatchiapscooter63
  • Reply 36 of 70
    The iPhone X is a stunning product, and has been, for me, the pinnacle in the evolution of this product. FaceID is just magical. 

I wish I could say the same about iOS 11. It is pretty much a silly update for the most part, with many annoying little changes, mostly cosmetic and seemingly pointless. What’s up with the stupidly big-ass, in-your-face, out-of whack in all of its font size, “Messages,” “Inbox”, “Sent” etc. headings in Messages and Mail? Who was in charge of this design monstrosity?!
    With the iPhone X running iOS 11.1.2 I have run into a problem, I turn off Automatic time and set it manually to Miami, when I turn off my iPhone X and turn it back on it turn on automatic time, settings it back one hour, has anyone else experienced this issue.
  • Reply 37 of 70
    JWSCJWSC Posts: 1,203member
    mac'em x said:
    You were doing so well until you called MS Office “very good”. Did someone drop a frozen turkey on your head?

(MS Office? Seriously?)

I love a good DED rant.  Verbal assault brought to a high art.  Some might quibble and say it’s all over the top.  But the hard reality is that there’s more than a bit of truth to most of it.  Apple’s total dominance over design, technology and profit is hard to argue with.

Re: MS Office, Daniel was referring to MS Office’s stickiness in the market because it offered a more or less complete office solution.  He in no way inferred that MS Office was a superior product from a technical standpoint.

watto_cobracharlesgrespscooter63magman1979jony0
  • Reply 38 of 70
    dsddsd Posts: 186member
    flydog said:
    From this comment I can safely assume you've never met my family.
    watto_cobraRayz2016radarthekatpscooter63magman1979Solijony0
  • Reply 39 of 70
    silvergold84silvergold84 Posts: 107unconfirmed, member
    Actually I have the iPhone X and I think it is the best product ever made. I do not agree about the other brands: in fact , for example, Samsung released iris scan only after Apple bought prime sense and always the Apple published a patent with a system to unblock the iPhone with the face . After the condemn of Samsung by tribunal , just I suppose that android brand looking in acquisitions of Apple and in the patents to copy Apple.
    Also the display: consider that Apple is 5 years that still working on iPhone X. For sure they involved Samsung display in the project. So after that the section mobile of Samsung released the display full before the project of Apple is completed . With this I mean that often the other brand just released technology that aren’t good , but on the paper are so .. look at the pixel. Bad quality of the os system (android) make not so special photo .. and they tried to copy a lot
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 40 of 70
    silvergold84silvergold84 Posts: 107unconfirmed, member
    avon b7 said:

So htc almost failed. Motorola almost failed (is been bough and sell many times). Samsung mobile loose profits and management said thinking to get out from premium line. Lg mobile and also Sony mobile are in red , and only the other sections of the brands keep the mobile section of the brand alive. Nexus is been dismissed for this pixels that have many problems .
    android stoled Apple patents to make bad system . If you buy an android over 300 dollars you have the same product of one of 80 dollars. Market and people understood . Apple is different . 
    I read about fast recharge and things like that. Fast recharge is a technology made by a consortium of brands , with Apple . Apple could use fast recharge anytime in the past . If didn’t, there is a reason .
    iris scan of galaxy is been released after Apple published a patent to unlock iPhone with face . For who is been condemned in tribunal , isn’t hard to suppose still try to cheat looking in patents of Apple and in acquisitions (prime sense for example ). So android didn’t invent nothing , just copied and made products of bad quality at high price . 
    watto_cobra