Editorial: Thankful for iPhone X

Comments

• Reply 41 of 70
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:
    "Google cranked out such turds as the HTC Nexus 7, the LG Nexus 5X, the Motorola Nexus 6, Huawei Nexus 6P, Pixel C and the LG Pixel 2 XL to critical acclaim just prior to everyone realizing that these products were steaming hot piles of excrement that nobody wanted to own."

Should we now refer to Apple's Foxconn iPhone X? 

It reads like the only reason to include those manufacturers was to associate them in the mind of the reader with the words 'turd' and 'stealing' hot piles of excrement'.

All of the named manufacturers are capable of producing outstanding quality phones. The only difference with regards to Apple is that they also produce phones at other end of the price spectrum where, logically, the quality isn't the same.

In the case of the Nexus lines, only Google knows what quality levels it signed off.
    Did google design all of that hardware in house? Or did the manufacturers?
    Impossible to know but Google signed off on all aspects of the design and manufacturing so it was Google that set the standards.

I very much doubt they simply said 'give us a phone to stick our name on and run with'.

Either way, I don't see the need to include the manufacturers in the paragraph, unless of course we are going to label iPhones in a similar fashion. After all, Apple even made a point of separating design and manufacturing: 'Designed by Apple in California. Assembled in China".
    I don’t doubt that at all. In fact my understanding for some of these is exactly that — the knockoff manufacturers designed the hardware and google slapped their branding on it. That’s why they’re still not as good as the real mccoy.

Desiging the hardware matters. Contract manufacturers don’t design Apple’s hardware, which is why it’s better than the knockoffs. You can’t not design the hardware & software together and for each other, and expect it to be as good as a hardware & software designed for each other. 
    edited November 2017 watto_cobratmayradarthekatmagman1979
  • Reply 42 of 70
    lkrupp said:
    Ah, a bunch of anti-DED first-time posters mysteriously starting to show up...

He is surely hitting some sore spots. 
    DED has the nack. He really brings ‘em out from under the bridge.
    The reason why people hate mac users and by inference anything apple is because steve jobs broke the cardinal rule of computing when he invented the macintosh. You see, computing like many other professions was and still is to a certain effect shrouded in an an aura of mystique. Back in that era late 70,s early 80,s a computer nerd was perceived as some kind of small clique of people who perceived themselves as some kind of elite. They spoke a special language and wore certain geeky clothes to identify themselves to one another. The more obscure, complicated and advanced the knowledge they possessed the more they felt they were above normal mortals. This advanced form of snobery still survives today in many forms , but especially in the mac versus pc crowd. They each deride each others choices and exchange flame wars over whose system is better. Its really very childish. Anyways to get back to why pc and windows snobs hate Apple is very simple- they opened up computing to the “unwashed masses” and made it possible for “grandma” to enter their domain. They have never forgiven Apple for that sin! 
    watto_cobraMartin57magman1979jony0
  • Reply 43 of 70
    When DED wades into politics, the result is just dreadful:

Something to think about at a time when America is rolling back Net Neutrality. Soon all internet carriers will be able to gouge you in ways you can't currently imagine!”

That’s just mindless scaremongering.
  • Reply 44 of 70
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Dracarys said:
    foggyhill said:
    Dracarys said:
    I'm sorry but this was far too much of a rant than anything factual. 

I have both the iPhone X and the Pixel 2 XL and enjoy them both equally. No the 2 XL isn't at all what you described it to be.

Funny, I don'T believe you, you don't actually own an Iphone and just used that as a way to make an argument.
    But, yeah I'm sure you do own a Pixel, the worse screen in the world, bravo for not returning it.
    I don't need you to believe me. I have an iPhone X given to me by work and the Pixel 2 XL is my personal. The screen issues on the 2 XL were quite overblown and any of the newer builds tend to have most of the issues resolved as opposed to the first batch.

Your whole whole tone smell invention, and no, it was not overblown, and yes, you do care.
    watto_cobramagman1979
  • Reply 45 of 70
    Great Article!!

The part about growing and staying curious is really nice.
    edited November 2017 watto_cobramagman1979
  • Reply 46 of 70
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    The iPhone X is a stunning product, and has been, for me, the pinnacle in the evolution of this product. FaceID is just magical. 

I wish I could say the same about iOS 11. It is pretty much a silly update for the most part, with many annoying little changes, mostly cosmetic and seemingly pointless. What’s up with the stupidly big-ass, in-your-face, out-of whack in all of its font size, “Messages,” “Inbox”, “Sent” etc. headings in Messages and Mail? Who was in charge of this design monstrosity?!
    Many reviewers have mentioned similar issues with the change to iOS11 on X. I figure it will take a couple full releases for them to adapt all their apps and work out the interaction issues. This reminds me of the redesign in iOS 7 which took at least one version to get right and the Apple Watch OS that they reworked between the first and second watches. I love ios 11 on iPad though.
    watto_cobramagman1979
  • Reply 47 of 70
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    I will be thank full when they iPhone XIV is down to an affordability price.

I will be thankful when Siri works as good as Alexa in understanding what I ask her.
  • Reply 48 of 70
    Thank you for writing this, and saying it like it is. Some will get it and some won't. Apple never wanted to be for everyone, but for those with a discerning taste. 
    watto_cobramagman1979
  • Reply 49 of 70

”Something to think about at a time when America is rolling back Net Neutrality. Soon all internet carriers will be able to gouge you in ways you can't currently imagine!”

Not to wade in further, but since you chose to highlight it: please take a look at who’s for and who’s against net neutrality, and tell us if you see a likely problem. 
    watto_cobramagman1979radarthekat
  • Reply 50 of 70

k2kw said:
    The iPhone X is a stunning product, and has been, for me, the pinnacle in the evolution of this product. FaceID is just magical. 

I wish I could say the same about iOS 11. It is pretty much a silly update for the most part, with many annoying little changes, mostly cosmetic and seemingly pointless. What’s up with the stupidly big-ass, in-your-face, out-of whack in all of its font size, “Messages,” “Inbox”, “Sent” etc. headings in Messages and Mail? Who was in charge of this design monstrosity?!
    Many reviewers have mentioned similar issues with the change to iOS11 on X. I figure it will take a couple full releases for them to adapt all their apps and work out the interaction issues. This reminds me of the redesign in iOS 7 which took at least one version to get right and the Apple Watch OS that they reworked between the first and second watches. I love ios 11 on iPad though.
    What was the need for iOS 11? What have they substantively done with it — other than requiring apps to go 64-bit, which could be done anytime, with any version —that could not have been done as a 10.x update?
  • Reply 51 of 70
    chiachia Posts: 713member
    Dracarys said:
    spheric said:
    Dracarys said:

MS Office is the best suite out there when it comes to productivity. There's a reason why it's the most used by far.
    Reason #1: lack of options twenty years ago. 
    Reason #2: entrenchment in business environments. 

The last good version of Office was Word 5.1a for Mac. Ca. 1991. 

Today, Office is being used less and less. 

Office suites for Mac were pretty awful until recently. On Windows they're pretty good though. 

Word, Excel and PowerPoint started life as Macintosh programs before Microsoft later ported them to run on Microsoft Windows.
    Consequently, subsequent Mac editions of those Office programs being sub par to their Windows equivalents are due to the attention Microsoft chose to give them.
    watto_cobramagman1979jony0
  • Reply 52 of 70

”Something to think about at a time when America is rolling back Net Neutrality. Soon all internet carriers will be able to gouge you in ways you can't currently imagine!”

Not to wade in further, but since you chose to highlight it: please take a look at who’s for and who’s against net neutrality, and tell us if you see a likely problem. 
    Well, here's an interesting tweet from representative Thomas Massie:
    https://twitter.com/RepThomasMassie/status/934449993762603010

Additionally, I certainly see the problem with the Federal government regulating the Internet instead of users and providers working out their differences in a free/competitive market setting.
    edited November 2017
  • Reply 53 of 70

I don’t get it. Maybe because the guy’s Tweet makes no sense. Is he saying the little guys are against net neutrality? If he’s not, it’s a pretty dumb argument, don’t you think (not that it should be suprising, given it’s a Congressman, but somewhat surprising you should provide a link to it). 

Perhaps you can explain?
  • Reply 54 of 70

I don’t get it. Maybe because the guy’s Tweet makes no sense. Is he saying the little guys are against net neutrality? If he’s not, it’s a pretty dumb argument, don’t you think (not that it should be suprising, given it’s a Congressman, but somewhat surprising you should provide a link to it). 

Perhaps you can explain?
    re: I don’t get it.

well, that doesn’t seem surprising. the question is fairly simple.
  • Reply 55 of 70

Ambitiously driven liberal capitalism

Despite being a telephony underdog behind the much larger, entrench phone makers of 2007, Apple rapidly caught up in areas such mobile cameras and 3G data connectivity, while pushing ahead with enabling technologies like accelerometers, gyroscopes, fingerprint sensors, advanced coprocessors-- and now-- structure-sensing depth cameras.

-

Thankful that carrier control is over

Anything outside of paid texts and individually billed minutes of talk time was a feared threat to carriers' business. It's nearly forgotten, for example, that before iPhone "smartphones" on carriers such as Verizon couldn't have WiFi (the scariest threat to carrier per-minute billings) and many phones were commonly designed so they could not even sync data to a PC without using the carrier's mobile netwo rk (because a serial cable allowed data to move without anyone being billed). Something to think about at a time when America is rolling back Net Neutrality. Soon all internet carriers will be able to gouge you in ways you can't currently imagine!

But let's get back to being as thankful as we can. We can be thankful that Apple's iPhone destroyed the mobile status quo, which had forced end users to get any hardware software updates from the carriers, a trickle-down process than rarely ever occurred in practice. Today we get rapid new updates, security patches and new apps as fast as Apple can release them; no carrier involvement or obstruction of the sort that once crippled mobile phones of all types.

Thankful that "carrier friend" isn't good enough

Thankful for the purifying flames of contempt

I think it is pretty ironic to talk about Liberal Capitalism as creating the iPhone and now think that squashing Liberal ideas is going to save us. Net Neutrality is more about preserving the status quo than actually letting the new comers with innovative ideas come to the fore front.

A big part of what made the iPhone work was that cell companies didn't have to ask for permission to accommodate the iPhone. Apple played them and in the end decided to choose AT&T to start with.

While the ISPs are an easy target, they are half of the solution.

there's a great interview on Reason.com about the whole liberalization of the airwaves pre net neutrality.
    How Deregulation Gave Us FM Radio, HBO, and the iPhone
    The FCC is designed to protect incumbents, enrich politicians, and screw consumers, says economist Thomas Hazlett.
    http://reason.com/reasontv/2017/05/22/markets-spectrum-fcc-net-neutrality
    Currently, around Portland Oregon, I get very similar speeds on T-Mobile as I do over my land line. I have unlimited data because T-Mobile was a late comer to that market. Even the latest plans aren't that much more expensive than my gen0 unlimited plan.
    edited November 2017
  • Reply 56 of 70
    jon.pdx said:

Perhaps you can explain?

Um... What “doesn’t seem surprising”, about which “question”? You make zero sense. 

And, @SpamSandwich is perfectly capable of addressing the simple question that was put to him about whether he can explain. Thank you. 
    edited November 2017
  • Reply 57 of 70
    jon.pdx said:

Perhaps you can explain?

Um... What “doesn’t seem surprising”, about which “question”? You make zero sense. 

And, @SpamSandwich is perfectly capable of addressing the simple question that was put to him about whether he can explain. Thank you. 
    if you can’t read a simple questiuon and understand it, then it really is your problem.
  • Reply 58 of 70
    Good grief! Is Avon b7 still stinking up these discussions? I was hoping he'd be gone by now.
    tmaypatchythepirate
  • Reply 59 of 70
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    flydog said:
    Sad commentary on society when someone makes it a point to be thankful for a phone, rather than for our family, friends, or health. The world would certainly go on without iPhones. 
    Like others, I’m confused by your statement. The world would go on without any technolgies, including agriculture, rudimentary star gazing (think early calendars), or animal husbandry, so I don’t get why we shouldn’t be thankful for technology.

Have you considered that the world would also go on without any of “our family, friends, or health”? Hell, the world would go one without a single human in the planet, so why not be thankful that you 1) exist, and 2) get to read about and utilize amazing technologies that can make your existance more pleasant, even if, to you, that means being able to monitor and maintain your health so much you can spend more time with friends and family.
  • Reply 60 of 70
    avon b7 said:
    "Google cranked out such turds as the HTC Nexus 7, the LG Nexus 5X, the Motorola Nexus 6, Huawei Nexus 6P, Pixel C and the LG Pixel 2 XL to critical acclaim just prior to everyone realizing that these products were steaming hot piles of excrement that nobody wanted to own."

Should we now refer to Apple's Foxconn iPhone X? 

It reads like the only reason to include those manufacturers was to associate them in the mind of the reader with the words 'turd' and 'stealing' hot piles of excrement'.

All of the named manufacturers are capable of producing outstanding quality phones. The only difference with regards to Apple is that they also produce phones at other end of the price spectrum where, logically, the quality isn't the same.

In the case of the Nexus lines, only Google knows what quality levels it signed off.

Avon - Don't you think it is better to "ignore" DED's articles, until he improves his writing skills? Only when each and everyone ignore DED's editorials, he will have "incentive" to improve, isn't it? All other AI writers write good quality articles. Just DED is an exception. To quote Winston Churchill, "A good speech should be like a woman's skirt: long enough to cover the subject and short enough to create interest" - Replace speech with "article", it would best illustrate where DED fails miserably. The bad news is - he does NOT have ANY incentive to improve right now.

singularityavon b7