Google updates Docs, Sheets, and Slides apps with 'drag and drop' and iPhone X support

Posted:
in iOS
Google has released updates for its Docs, Sheets, and Slides apps for iOS, with the trio of productivity tools adding support for Apple's iPhone X and iOS 11, as well as the ability to use the drag and drop functionality introduced as part of iOS 11.

The addition of support for the iPhone X now means the Google apps are optimized to use the larger and higher-resolution 5.8-inch display of Apple's flagship mobile device. The toolbars at the top of the app now take into account the TrueDepth camera "notch," with the color of the app's top bar carrying up to the sections displaying the time and status icons.

Drag and drop, a new productivity function introduced in iOS 11, brings the Google apps in line with other productivity tools, and is especially useful on the iPad. It is now possible to drag content into the three Google apps, as well as away from the apps into others, making it easier to add elements to documents and slides when multitasking.

All three of the Google apps updated today have the same major list of changes within the "What's New" section of their respective App Store listings. The accompanying text also mentions "bug fixes and performance improvements" to each app, but does not go into detail about what the changes are.

While Docs and Slides both bear the version number 1.2017.46204, Google Sheets has the slightly higher version number of 1.2017.46206.

Google Docs requires 211 megabytes of storage while Google Slides requires 257 megabytes and Google Sheets needs 336 megabytes. All are free to download from the App Store, and are compatible with all iOS devices running iOS 9.0 or later.

The first Google app to notably include support for iOS 11's new features was Google Drive, which was updated in September to work with Apple's Files app. The update added Google Drive to Files' roster of cloud storage services the app could access, but was absent from the initial collection of compatible cloud storage providers.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    Thx, I am radying myself to be flushed with news for every thinkable app "accomodating" the notch (i.e. Google maintained app colors to accentuate that awry thing even more...) Joni the Sadist Must have known this. How deep did this platform sink...
    edited November 2017
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Bacillus3 said:
    Thx, I am radying myself to be flushed with news about "accomodating" the notch for every thinkable app (gee, Google maintained app colors to accentuate that awry thing even more...) Joni the Sadist Must have known this. How deep did this platform sink...
    Still crying over the notch? Get over it, buddy. People are loving the iPhone X and there's no going back.
    edited November 2017 StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 7
    the notch only bothers people who are looking at pictures and pretending that’s the same thing as using it real life. it isn’t. 
    watto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 4 of 7
    What about the app everyone uses? Google Maps!?

and just for a general moan / I am getting very tired of all these ‘best deals’ ‘articles/adverts’ on this site. Your making it virtually unusable. This weekend was unreal, very very bad.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Bacillus3 said:
    Thx, I am radying myself to be flushed with news for every thinkable app "accomodating" the notch (i.e. Google maintained app colors to accentuate that awry thing even more...) Joni the Sadist Must have known this. How deep did this platform sink...
    Who is "Joni the Sadist"?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Bacillus3 said:
    Who is "Joni the Sadist"?
    Mmmm. Says here he’s a distant relative of “Bacillus3 The Grammar-Impaired”.