Apple expands Support services on social media with dedicated YouTube channel

Posted:
in General Discussion edited September 2019
Apple has started offering support through another form of social media, by setting up a YouTube channel dedicated to providing assistance for basic tasks its customers can perform on an iPhone or iPad.

The channel, "Apple Support," currently consists of ten brief videos explaining how to perform basic functions within iOS 11. The initial videos cover simple topics including taking a screenshot, updating the software, and changing the wallpaper, as well as slightly more tricky items, such as deleting a call history, linking duplicate contacts, and deleting contacts.

Each video lasts between a minute and two minutes in duration, and consists of instructions to carry out a task on the left of the screen with an iPhone on the right used to demonstrate each part. The instructions are narrated throughout, with subtitles also available in English.

Though at the time of writing there are only ten videos, the channel also includes playlists of videos hosted on the main Apple YouTube page. All of the linked videos are in a similar vein, providing basic instruction for assorted tasks and features on iPhones, iPads, and iOS 11 in general.

Apple initially launched the page on October 5, 2017, but only made the channel and the initial batch of videos publicly viewable on Monday evening, suggesting the company used a short period of time to prepare the channel and first videos for public consumption.

Due to the existence of others trying to capitalize on Apple's new channel launch, there are a number of other listings that come up when searching for it under YouTube's search function. One way to find the official support page is to go to the main Apple YouTube channel and selecting the "Apple Support" listing under the Featured Channels page.

YouTube is not the only social media venue where Apple has established a support presence. It launched the @AppleSupport Twitter account in March 2016, and at one point also provided assistance for Apple Music through its own Twitter feed.

As well as Apple's own support, tips and tricks to using Apple hardware are also available through the AppleInsider YouTube channel.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8

Better late than never.

This may be an effective way to teach people about all those "hidden" features within iOS that most users never hear about.

I wouldn't want to be responsible for monitoring the comments though.

Soli
  • Reply 2 of 8
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member

Better late than never.

This may be an effective way to teach people about all those "hidden" features within iOS that most users never hear about.

I agree.  Hopefully it will 'teach' but even if it's only 'Monkey see, monkey do', videos are always better than words.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    1) I agree with @randominternetperson. It's about time. These things are invaluable for getting people to get the most out of these robust and feature-filled devices.

2) I love this new screenshot feature and started using it right away almost 6 months ago. Having it appear as a small layover in the lower right corner saves me several steps to find the app the Photos and the new markup just makes everything better.

PS: A bit off topic, but I wish Apple would do this as a weekly email for Siri commands, the way Amazon does it for Alexa.
    edited November 2017
  • Reply 4 of 8
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member

Better late than never.

Seems odd that Apple would drive customers to Google for tips and tricks. Embedded videos on their Facebook page linking to their own support site videos would likely be just as effective. I read elsewhere speculation it was an iOS marketing move, which makes a lot of sense, if so.
    jony0
  • Reply 5 of 8
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    mac_128 said:

Better late than never.

Seems odd that Apple would drive customers to Google for tips and tricks. Embedded videos on their Facebook page linking to their own support site videos would likely be just as effective. I read elsewhere speculation it was an iOS marketing move, which makes a lot of sense, if so.
    I don't think it would be. YouTube is too pervasive. I look for plenty of videos created by Apple. Most recently I did a search for the iMac Pro segment from WWDC. I know this is available somewhere on apple.com but I went to YouTube.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    mac_128 said:

Better late than never.

That's probably why it didn't happen sooner, but--in this case--it's the right move.  Believe it or not, lots of people aren't on Facebook whereas everyone watches YouTube videos.
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 7 of 8
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    mac_128 said:

Better late than never.

That's probably why it didn't happen sooner, but--in this case--it's the right move.  Believe it or not, lots of people aren't on Facebook whereas everyone watches YouTube videos.
    Considering that Apple sort of missed that boat, I would agree. It's ironic that only recently did they realize they're getting left behind in the rush toward original programming driving a platform. Though YouTube started in the public domain, it has quickly become a commercial platform. Considering it's an Apple product, I don't think it would be unreasonable for Apple to insist self-help videos be viewed via iTunes. That said ... currently YouTube is far more dominant, I'm sure much to Apple's chagrin.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    mac_128 said:

Better late than never.

I agree it's the right thing to do since Apple has nothing approaching the ease-of-use and name recognition of YouTube for quick answers to common problems.