Australia's Bendigo Bank adds Apple Pay, having lost fight over iPhone NFC

Posted:
in iPhone
Without access to the NFC chips in iPhones for a wallet of its own, Australia's Bendigo Bank on Tuesday officially launched support for Apple Pay.

The platform is now compatible with various credit and debit Mastercards issued by Bendigo. On an iPhone, people can add a card by launching the Wallet app then tapping on the "plus" icon. iPad owners must go into the Settings app and find the "Wallet & Apple Pay" menu -- something Apple Watch owners must also find, but from the Watch app on their iPhone.

In March, the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission effectively shot down attempts by several major banks to gain access to iPhone NFC. The companies argued that this would increase competition, choice, innovation, and investment in digital wallets, but the ACCC suggested it would disrupt Apple's hardware/software integration, and that the public might benefit from a platform where banks are forced to compete with each other and can't lock in customers.

Beyond integration, Apple has a vested interest in maintaining NFC exclusivity, since it earns a small fee from every Apple Pay transaction.

A number of banks and credit unions now support Apple Pay in Australia, one of Apple's most important markets in the Asia-Pacific region.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Australia gets it. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 16
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Rayz2016 said:
    Australia gets it. 
    Sorta-kinda and only after a very long time of tilting at windmills.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    noelosnoelos Posts: 127member
    Still a small bank. I wonder if Commonwealth, Westpac or Nab will break ranks and implement it.
    lostkiwianomewatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 16
    There are 23.4 million people in Australia. That’s the whole country. How important could that market really be for Apple?
  • Reply 5 of 16
    There are 23.4 million people in Australia. That’s the whole country. How important could that market really be for Apple?

... and if you were ONE of those 23.4 million people wanting Apple Pay?

caliJWSCAnilu_777watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 16
    noelos said:
    Still a small bank. I wonder if Commonwealth, Westpac or Nab will break ranks and implement it.
    It would have been nice if AI had given a little background on Bendigo. How big are they? How important are they in the grand scheme of Aussie banking? The rest of us outside the country have no idea.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 16
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    This is such an odd statement. With a quick search I found one website that states, "2014-15, Apple collected AU$8.3 billion." In what reality is $6.318 USD (not adjusted for the 2014–15 exchange rate) unimportant?
    JWSCwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 16
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    Bendigo Bank was once a regional credit union that has successfully grown into a bank. Its market niche is regional areas where “The Big Four” have withdrawn shopfront services. It markets itself as a kinda anti-corporate bank. The model has been reasonably successful and Bendigo owns a couple of the smaller banks like Adelaide Bank, and currently has the contract with the Victorian State Government to supply concessional loan programs for rural assistance through Rural Bank. Plenty of stories of typical bank behaviour though.

So to sum up, a littlish bank, but not that little.  Medium sized in the Oz market. I am surprised it tried to develop and promote its own solution rather than just adopt Apple Pay. What a waste of corporate resources and shareholder value.
    ANZ is the one of the Big Four that has Apple Pay, and promotes it heavily. The rest of the finance industry that have Apple Pay (a growing list) tend to be smaller than Bendigo.
    The remaining three of the Big Four, Westpac, Commonwealth and National are still pushing their own, little used payment apps. They won’t be successful but it will take a while for the self important, MBA execs who championed these strategies to either admit they are wrong or get sacked.
    edited November 2017 SoliJWSCGG1Anilu_777watto_cobracharlesatlas
  • Reply 9 of 16
    Bendigo is the 5th biggest bank in Australia.

re Australian market, the population is small, however due to being affluent, English speaking, very high iPhone ownership rate, Apple often gives access to new roll out features before most of the rest of the region -  often with the US market. 
    Anilu_777watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 16
    The Bendigo bank is a small bank but it puts more pressure on the big banks to join.

yes Australia only has a small population but we are early adapters of technology, rap and pay terminals are everywhere.

It is surly only a matter of time before Apple opens up full access to nfc, otherwise Apple users will be the losers. As an iPhone user I want to be able to tap and pay with my phone to pay my train fare, I want to use nfc to open my front door.

• Reply 11 of 16
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    Well, the coalition seems to be falling apart. Maybe they'll never get to the ACCC final ruling.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 16
    Andyman said:

yes Australia only has a small population but we are early adapters of technology, rap and pay terminals are everywhere.
    Now “rap and pay” would be interesting! Drop me a beat...
    edited November 2017 roundaboutnowAnilu_777
  • Reply 13 of 16
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,294member
    Andyman said:
    The Bendigo bank is a small bank but it puts more pressure on the big banks to join.

It is surly only a matter of time before Apple opens up full access to nfc, otherwise Apple users will be the losers. As an iPhone user I want to be able to tap and pay with my phone to pay my train fare, I want to use nfc to open my front door.

There is nothing keeping those services from using ApplePay and you can use HomeKit to open your door.  To allow anyone access to the NFC and secure enclave of iOS is to invite disaster.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 16
    Andyman said:

Oh and dont call me “Surly”
  • Reply 15 of 16
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,316member
    Andyman said:

Neither of these things require direct access to the NFC hardware access can be by API to abstract hardware and security issues away from developers and protect the users information from other sources.
    Soliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 16
    Bendigo is the 5th biggest bank in Australia.

re Australian market, the population is small, however due to being affluent, English speaking, very high iPhone ownership rate, Apple often gives access to new roll out features before most of the rest of the region -  often with the US market. 

Not to mention that almost all iPhones are available in Oz before the US!
    watto_cobra