BOE makes push to become Apple's second OLED supplier for iPhones

Posted:
in iPhone
Major Chinese display maker BOE is reportedly investing billions into OLED production lines in an attempt to win orders from Apple, which currently relies exclusively on Samsung panels for the iPhone X.

BOE is investing some $7.04 billion into a "B11" line in Sichuan province, and finalizing investments for a "B12" line likely to be built in the city of Chongqing, Korean site ETNews said on Tuesday, citing sources from several industries. For B11, the company is believed to have started ordering equipment for front-end processes in June.

That line is expected to do a 70/30 percent split between flexible and foldable OLED panels, while B12 will aim for 50/50.

BOE has allegedly presented information about both lines to Apple, though it's uncertain whether the latter has made investment requests or if BOE is simply pursuing Apple on its own. Regardless, BOE would need to pass Apple production standards to qualify for orders.

LG Display has likewise been gunning for Apple OLED orders, and could even help the company build a foldable iPhone come 2020. ETNews indicated that LG holds quality and output advantages over BOE.

Apple could potentially want as many as three suppliers, given rumors the company is planning to ship 5.8- and 6.5-inch OLED iPhones next year, and eventually go OLED-only. That would not only improve bottlenecks but reduce dependence on Samsung, its main competitor in the smartphone arena.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,905member
    With 3 OLED suppliers, Apple can get needed supply and control the cost.Relying on enemy Samsung alone is too dangerous.
    edited November 2017 jbdragonMartin57jony0
  • Reply 2 of 17
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    I just read about Apple’s patent for a foldable,screen. I hope they won’t be doing that. We just went through a big discussion about folding screens. More problems than benefits.
  • Reply 3 of 17
    wood1208 said:
    With 3 OLED suppliers, Apple can get needed supply and control the cost.Relying on enemy Samsung alone is too dangerous.
    I’m going to hedge my bets on this. The problem won’t be availability. It will be in qualification. For example, LG has a low qualification for its OLED screen’s. Samsung has at least, a fairly high qualification. Their screen for Apple is supposedly a more highly qualified one (which also includes Apple OLED technology).

the question is whether these others can do a highly qualified screen. If not, Apple won’t use them, Samsung and shortages aside.
    ksec
  • Reply 4 of 17
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,305member
    melgross said:
    I just read about Apple’s patent for a foldable,screen. I hope they won’t be doing that. We just went through a big discussion about folding screens. More problems than benefits.
    The iPhone X already has a foldable screen. As the center top part of the screen where the notch is as as been folded over. You can see this in pictures.
    LukeCage
  • Reply 5 of 17
    jbdragon said:
    melgross said:
    The iPhone X already has a foldable screen. As the center top part of the screen where the notch is as as been folded over. You can see this in pictures.
    What? The notch is cut out. There aren’t any folds. And folding screens are screens that allow the device to close like a book.
    mwhite
  • Reply 6 of 17
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    melgross said:
    jbdragon said:
    melgross said:
    What? The notch is cut out. There aren’t any folds. And folding screens are screens that allow the device to close like a book.
    Watch the video on the Apple site. The iPhoneX screen is folded to fit flush against the case. Damn sneaky. 
    LukeCage
  • Reply 7 of 17
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    melgross said:
    jbdragon said:
    melgross said:
    Watch the video on the Apple site. The iPhoneX screen is folded to fit flush against the case. Damn sneaky. 
  • Reply 8 of 17
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    Not happening, BOE aren't even at lg quality level.
  • Reply 9 of 17
    BOE are for Chinese made smartphones only.....Oppo, Vibo, Siomai, Huwaie Oled phones.
  • Reply 10 of 17
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    jbdragon said:
    melgross said:
    I’d say there’s a big difference between a folded screen (one time) and a foldable screen (many, many times). 
    Martin57jony0
  • Reply 11 of 17
    Rayz2016 said:
    melgross said:
    jbdragon said:
    melgross said:
    There’s a slight edge curve. But just a slight bit. That’s nothing like a foldable screen.
    Martin57
  • Reply 12 of 17
    melgross said:
    wood1208 said:
    I’m going to hedge my bets on this. The problem won’t be availability. It will be in qualification. For example, LG has a low qualification for its OLED screen’s. Samsung has at least, a fairly high qualification. Their screen for Apple is supposedly a more highly qualified one (which also includes Apple OLED technology).

the question is whether these others can do a highly qualified screen. If not, Apple won’t use them, Samsung and shortages aside.
    What really worries me about a Chinese company would betray Apple just like Samsung did, and immediately take Apple's ideas and use them for themselves. I wish Apple could build factories in the U.S. that could supply the main components they need. I personally don't trust any of those foreign manufacturers, especially in China, knowing how so many of those companies like to do knock-off Apple products. I'm not generalizing all Chinese are copycats, but it's just something to consider. I realize any U.S. factory will cause the cost to be driven up by any components but it just seems safer in the long run.

I wonder if it's even possible for a Chinese company to build matching quality or higher quality displays than Samsung. Samsung is an amazing company when it comes to the fabrication of components such as displays and memory modules. Still, Apple absolutely must second-source every component it needs. I just wish Apple could create some airtight and enforceable contract that specifies none of Apple's technology could be used in a competing product for a certain amount of time. I'm always also concerned about some conflict happening between the U.S. and China and then Apple will be totally screwed by having no component manufacturers to fabricate iPhone parts.
    edited November 2017
  • Reply 13 of 17
    The best would be LG and Sharp gets their OLED quality up, since both do not compete with Apple. I am sure Apple are iving them a hand, but it doesn't look like things will change much in 2018. 
  • Reply 14 of 17
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    The bank of England has no expertise in this matter I would have thought. 
    LukeCage
  • Reply 15 of 17
    asdasd said:
    The bank of England has no expertise in this matter I would have thought. 
    :D  That's what I read it as the first time I read that title. 
    asdasd
  • Reply 16 of 17
    melgross said:
    wood1208 said:

What really worries me about a Chinese company would betray Apple just like Samsung did, and immediately take Apple's ideas and use them for themselves. I wish Apple could build factories in the U.S. that could supply the main components they need. I personally don't trust any of those foreign manufacturers, especially in China, knowing how so many of those companies like to do knock-off Apple products. I'm not generalizing all Chinese are copycats, but it's just something to consider. I realize any U.S. factory will cause the cost to be driven up by any components but it just seems safer in the long run.

I wonder if it's even possible for a Chinese company to build matching quality or higher quality displays than Samsung. Samsung is an amazing company when it comes to the fabrication of components such as displays and memory modules. Still, Apple absolutely must second-source every component it needs. I just wish Apple could create some airtight and enforceable contract that specifies none of Apple's technology could be used in a competing product for a certain amount of time. I'm always also concerned about some conflict happening between the U.S. and China and then Apple will be totally screwed by having no component manufacturers to fabricate iPhone parts.
    I can’t speak to the betrayed bit, though I can say that the evidence points to Samsung stealing Apple’s look and ideas, but not their actual technology. They produced Apple’s chips for years, and didn’t get anything out of it for themselves. Apple’s new screen, according to Apple, has Apple’s technology in it, even though it’s being produced by Samsung.

a problem in manufacturing in China is that very often you need a Chinese partner company, and required to transfer some technology. But that not always true. It’s complicated.
  • Reply 17 of 17
    It turns out I cant quote my own post.

I will retract that BOE quality issues, having seen the latest from Trade Show, I am absolutely surprised by how far it has come. And makes me question why LG's poor execution of AMOLED panel.

Not 2018, but 2019 will be interesting. I do think BOE could get their with their scale.