Apple's Face ID with attention detection fooled by $200 mask

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 94
    Another way to fool FaceID would be to get a small sample of an iPhone X owner’s DNA, clone them, wait until they are about the same age as the original owner was at the time, hope that the user hasn’t sold the phone to someone else with a different face and then use your paid cloned assistant to unlock the phone for you!

Surely, this has to be foolproof? Deal with that Apple.
    Solibb-15
  • Reply 82 of 94
    bb-15bb-15 Posts: 283member
    lkrupp said:
    Speaking of science where’s the peer review on this claim? Where’s the duplicated, confirmed experimental evidence that this actually works? Why is it only one group of hackers that can do this? Where’s the Beef?!
    Yeah, these fooling Touch ID or Face ID experiments are terribly done. The hacker's face (or fingerprint) does not count. 
    - In a real world theft situation, the exact shape of the face of the owner or the fingerprints of the owner would be unknown.
    * With Touch ID a proper experiment would be; take / steal a phone; pull the fingerprints off the phone, duplicate them and try to find the right duplicate fingerprint (without too many unsuccessful tries) and unlock the iPhone in 48 hours.
    - With Face ID the owner of the iPhone X also needs to be unknown. Then the hacker needs to steal/take the phone, take photos of the owner without their knowledge, make the mask and fool Face ID in 48 hours.

I have not heard of one stolen iPhone where Touch ID was successfully hacked in the wild.
    With Face ID the danger of a mask unlocking a stolen iPhone X is almost zero. 
  • Reply 83 of 94
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Guys I’m scared!!

I have a twin and my neighbor is a skilled Vietnamese mask designer who has placed 3D cameras all over my home!!!!!
  • Reply 84 of 94
    pdbreske said:
    From Mashable: "Bkav researchers said that making 3D model is very simple," the blog post noted. "A person can be secretly taken photos of in just a few seconds when entering a room containing a pre-setup system of cameras located at different angles. Then, the photos will be processed by algorithms to make a 3D object."

So, to unlock an iPhone X using this hack, you need to do one of two things: 1) Steal a phone and then capture a bunch of photos of the owner without his/her knowledge, print a mask using stone dust and some kind of infrared printer, all within 48 hours (or less) to get under the phone's biometric time limit, or 2) do all of that stuff BEFORE you steal the phone so the mask will be ready when you have the phone in your custody.

Oh yeah. You iPhone X owners should be petrified with concern.
    Sounds like a plan from Ocean's 11 part X.
  • Reply 85 of 94
    cali said:
    Guys I’m scared!!

I have a twin and my neighbor is a skilled Vietnamese mask designer who has placed 3D cameras all over my home!!!!!
    Buy an Android Phone. It’ll be hacked without requiring complicated 3D printed face-replica masks.
  • Reply 86 of 94
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    dewme said:
    The attempts to question the security and robustness of Apple's Face ID will continue until every other smartphone maker and reseller who is not in Apple's distribution channel has a competing feature to sell in their products, probably circa 2018 or later. At that point in the evolution of imitative art, every non-Apple Face ID knock-off will be touted as the greatest advance in facial recognition technology ever developed by mankind, a must-have, nearly life sustaining feature, and even more so because it's miraculously emanating from the amazing super brains of Google, Samsung, Microsoft, or Amazon engineers, scientists, and extremely gifted managers.  We've seen this story before, whether it's all-touch phones withouts keyboards, use of gorilla glass, smart voice assistants, jettisoning card slots and headphone jacks, and App Stores - whenever Apple has (even temporary) exclusivity on any innovative capability then it must be seriously derided as flawed because, umm, it's Apple and all Apple does is grossly inflate the prices on mediocre technology that their hipster employees scraped up from underneath festering road kill when it's the real innovators like Google, Samsung, Microsoft, and Amazon who are creating improbable magic in their gilded research labs overpopulated with true, and very serious, perfect innovators the likes of which the world has never known.  So yeah, Apple's Face ID must obviously suck and is a horrible idea ... but rest assured that Google's Pixel Face, Samsung's Sammy Face, Microsoft's Surface Face, and Amazon's Echo Face will finally deliver the much needed facial recognition technology that will deliver what Apple's grossly premature and seriously flawed technology failed to do - which is having their own brand name on it.    
    But will it deliver a text engine that handles paragraphs?
    edited November 2017
  • Reply 87 of 94
    I would be flattered if someone wanted to make a 3d mask of me. I could be the new Guy Fawkes. 

my poor phone, though ...
  • Reply 88 of 94
    Even If i were to believe this (which I don't) I wager they actually scanned the mask and used it make it seem it was opening the actual human face! 

They must think we were born yesterday

Also to hack a real person:
    1) A thief has to get a hold of my phone
        I keep mine on me and I don't let it out of my sight, even if it gets lost I can deactive it pretty quickly using "find my iphone" and wipe it
        I bet I can get it to wipe before the thief has an up and running mask.
    2) Thief has to make a mask and somehow get it to work

What are the chances of this? A. Almost zero, where is the thief going to get a 3d mapping of my face from? He can't use a photo. 

It seems to me there is a lot of work  needed for dubious gains. 

edited November 2017
  • Reply 89 of 94
    Another way to fool FaceID would be to get a small sample of an iPhone X owner’s DNA, clone them, wait until they are about the same age as the original owner was at the time, hope that the user hasn’t sold the phone to someone else with a different face and then use your paid cloned assistant to unlock the phone for you!

Surely, this has to be foolproof? Deal with that Apple.
    And don't forget hacker would easily be able to open up a dimensional portal into another universe and steal your doubles face id map and then inflate a mockup with a condom. Deal with that apple . Doomed i say doomed!
  • Reply 90 of 94
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,693member
    Even If i were to believe this (which I don't) I wager they actually scanned the mask and used it make it seem it was opening the actual human face! 

They must think we were born yesterday

Also to hack a real person:
    1) A thief has to get a hold of my phone
        I keep mine on me and I don't let it out of my sight, even if it gets lost I can deactive it pretty quickly using "find my iphone" and wipe it
        I bet I can get it to wipe before the thief has an up and running mask.
    2) Thief has to make a mask and somehow get it to work

What are the chances of this? A. Almost zero, where is the thief going to get a 3d mapping of my face from? He can't use a photo. 

It seems to me there is a lot of work  needed for dubious gains. 

That's pretty much how I see it.

If you have something you really want to keep secret (from people who have the means to spoof FaceID), then you will use a strong passcode not bother setting up FaceID in the first place.

FaceID is being proven in the wild (best place for testing) and so far seems to be doing well.

Far more troubling than actually spoofing the system with a spitting image depth mask, would be the presence of some kind of bug that gave occasional false positives even if you weren't very similar to the owner. There have been no reports of this.

For most of us, FaceID will be just another biometric phone unlocker.

There are issues related to its use but the way it works seems to be more than good enough.
    jensonb
  • Reply 91 of 94
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    kimberly said:

As a moderator, consider posts with racist comments like the example below (final sentence).
    macxpress said:
    So are people going to walk around wearing $200 masks of me, somehow getting the exact dimensions of my face? I think this is kinda stupid and worthless. Apparently, the Vietnamese have nothing better to do.

lol I don't see how that's racist. are you sure you know what 'racist' means? 
    Seems we’ve reached the apex of racial sensitivity.  At least I hope so.  But let’s be sure, let’s look it up.

Racism

1. prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one's own race is superior.

2. belief that all members of each race possess characteristics or abilities specific to that race, especially so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races.

Nope, nothing to suggest the sentence represented racism.  Carry on.
    Well, to play devils advocate since you went out and actually got the definition and all...by saying "Apparently, the Vietnamese have nothing better to do" as opposed to "Apparently, these folks have nothing better to do" is generalizing that they have noting better to do (i.e. lazy or not engaged in worthwhile activities) because they are Vietnamese as oppose to random folks with nothing better to do.  So that would qualify for the second part of the definition.  Even changing it to "these Vietnamese" vs "the Vietnamese" would mean that it doesn't qualify using a strict interpretation of the definition.

Is it racist?  Only if you are an anal pedant as it likely is just poor use of grammar vs intent to stereotype.
    Soli
  • Reply 92 of 94
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    nht said:
    kimberly said:

As a moderator, consider posts with racist comments like the example below (final sentence).
    macxpress said:
    So are people going to walk around wearing $200 masks of me, somehow getting the exact dimensions of my face? I think this is kinda stupid and worthless. Apparently, the Vietnamese have nothing better to do.

Seems we’ve reached the apex of racial sensitivity.  At least I hope so.  But let’s be sure, let’s look it up.

Racism

1. prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one's own race is superior.

2. belief that all members of each race possess characteristics or abilities specific to that race, especially so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races.

Well, to play devils advocate since you went out and actually got the definition and all...by saying "Apparently, the Vietnamese have nothing better to do" as opposed to "Apparently, these folks have nothing better to do" is generalizing that they have noting better to do (i.e. lazy or not engaged in worthwhile activities) because they are Vietnamese as oppose to random folks with nothing better to do.  So that would qualify for the second part of the definition.  Even changing it to "these Vietnamese" vs "the Vietnamese" would mean that it doesn't qualify using a strict interpretation of the definition.

Is it racist?  Only if you are an anal pedant as it likely is just poor use of grammar vs intent to stereotype.
    In your first paragraph you make an excellent argument regarding the determiner used by the OP.

In your second paragraph, I think you have that reversed because it's the pedants that are saying it can't be racist because Vietnamese is not a race.
  • Reply 93 of 94
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Soli said:
    nht said:
    kimberly said:

macxpress said:

Racism

In your first paragraph you make an excellent argument regarding the determiner used by the OP.

In your second paragraph, I think you have that reversed because it's the pedants that are saying it can't be racist because Vietnamese is not a race.
    Lol, true.  I had expected that someone would have noted that anal and pedant was redundant.
  • Reply 94 of 94
    cowycowy Posts: 17member
    Can the mask move?