Apple's TV app adds live 'Sports' section for iOS 11.2, tvOS 11.2 testers

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited November 2017
In a preview of a new feature expected to come to all users in December, beta builds of iOS and tvOS have added a live "Sports" section, making it easier to find streaming content.

Screens via Mark Gurman.

The update comes from a server-side change by Apple, meaning users running the latest developer and public iOS and tvOS 11.2 builds will automatically have access to the new "Sports" tab when opening the TV app.

The "Sports" tab joins the previous options of "Watch Now," "Library," "Store" and "Search." It features quick links to live games and the ability to rewatch games that already occurred.

Users can also select their favorite teams for a range of sports and leagues. The TV app promises users that they will receive an alert when the team is about to play, letting users begin streaming as soon as the game starts.

Supported leagues include Major League Baseball, the National Football League, the National Basketball League, college football, men's college basketball and much more. The update was first noted by Mark Gurman.

Wednesday's soft launch appears to only offer ESPN as an app partner, though future updates from other third-party apps should add support for more networks and services. For example, ESPN does not broadcast National Hockey League games, so users cannot yet stream NHL action via the TV app.

Developer support has been something of a sore thumb for Apple's TV app for iOS and tvOS. Notably, streaming giant Netflix does not offer full integration with Apple's TV app.

The fifth developer betas of iOS 11.2 and tvOS 11.2 were released on Tuesday.
DavidAlGregory

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    Fine, but where is Amazon Prime?
    DavidAlGregory
  • Reply 2 of 8
    And have they fixed the Home Sharing issues in iOS? I cannot view movies I have Home Shared on my iPhone or iPad. I can view them fine using my Apple TV's Computers app.
    edited November 2017
  • Reply 3 of 8
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    yoyo2222 said:
    And it damn better support the TV App!!

I’ve been researching good apps with free or add supported content to add to your Apple TV. Here’s a few:

Crackle (Lots of content but lots of ads)

Tubi (Good content and very underrated)

Pluto TV (Very modern cable experience with live TV but no 4K, includes movies and shows)

All 3 support the TV app and you’d be pleasantly surprised at what you’ll find. I found a movie I’ve been wanting to watch for a long time and it showed up on Tubi for FREE. No ads.
    yoyo2222
  • Reply 4 of 8
    HeliBum said:
    And have they fixed the Home Sharing issues in iOS? I cannot view movies I have Home Shared on my iPhone or iPad. I can view them fine using my Apple TV's Computers app.
    Not sure what you are trying to do. Are you trying to view content from iTunes on your iOS device? If so make sure you are logged into Home Sharing on iTunes and iOS then go to the TV app on iOS. Under Library you should see the name of your computer running iTunes. If you are logged in correctly and still don't see the Library then log out of Home Sharing on all devices and log back in again.

Home Sharing this way to my iPad (iOS 11) works fine.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    So Apple seems to have copied the HULU interface.
    I do not use the Apple TV app and wish they had never changed the old interface with local content.

Until and unless Apple offers an a la carte service where I can choose the channels I want, I have no use for this app.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    yoyo2222 said:
    Ask Amazon, it's their app that's late. They have been free to release an ATV port of their existing iOS Prime Viewer app but have chosen not to.
  • Reply 7 of 8

So Apple seems to have copied the HULU interface.
    I do not use the Apple TV app and wish they had never changed the old interface with local content.

Until and unless Apple offers an a la carte service where I can choose the channels I want, I have no use for this app.
    You're confusing a television channels package offering with the TV app in tvOS and iOS. A channels package has no bearing on the TV app; the TV app is supported by channel app developers, and it's pretty nifty. Any and all of the existing channel apps can support the TV app if they choose to.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Like if the Dallas Cowboys suck!