Amazon Prime Video app for Apple TV beta testing by employees underway, release date still...

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited December 2017
New reports are circulating that the long-awaited Amazon Prime Video app for the Apple TV is being evaluated by Amazon employees -- but several rumored release dates have come and gone, and neither Apple nor Amazon are saying anything about it.

Two Reddit users declared on Wednesday that as Amazon employees, they had access to the beta of Amazon Prime Video for the Apple TV. One user provided what is purported to be a screen shot of the app on the home screen.

AppleInsider has confirmed independently that the beta program is ongoing, and has been so since July in one form or another. However, as of late, there have been few substantive changes to the app.

Previous Reddit posts claimed that Amazon was planning on a September or October release date. However, both previous reports claimed that corporate politics were likely the reason for the release hold-up.

Amazon withdrew the Apple TV and Chromecast on Oct. 29, 2015, after it claimed that Amazon Prime Video compatibility was necessary for the company to sell set-top boxes to avoid "customer confusion." Amazon could have made that happen with a channel in the third-generation device, or an app for the fourth-generation, but at the time it chose to not do so.

In 2016, Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos suggested Prime Video would remain off devices made by Apple or any other company marketing comparable set-top streaming products until amicable reimbursement models are agreed upon. Presumably, Bezos didn't want to shell out 30 percent to Apple for content it delivers and sometimes generates itself.

Apple CEO Tim Cook announced at the WWDC that Amazon's video streaming service would be available on the Apple TV in 2017. The app has not as of yet materialized, but an unconfirmed rumor suggested that it could have happened on Sept. 28 in conjunction with a Football game between the Chicago Bears and the Green Bay Packers that Amazon streamed.

There are no details of any business arrangement between Amazon and Apple for Amazon Prime Video to migrate to tvOS.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 46
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Sept. 28?

im betting the app is dependant on the 11.2 update, which would explain why it's surfaced for beta testing only now.

Amazon has said they intend to offer the app on ATV 2 and 3, as well as the 4, so wing they likely could have already done, but as Apple would have to push those updates to the older boxes, I'm betting Apple doesn't want to do that without also offering the app on the ATV 4K.
    zroger73libertyforall
  • Reply 2 of 46
    I waited long enough for the Amazon Prime Video app to become available on my three Apple TV devices.

Last week, I sinned against Apple and bought a couple of Amazon Fire TV sticks for $25 each. I was so impressed that I've started listening to my music and watching Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon on the Fire TV sticks instead of the Apple TV.
    sunwukongdasanman69
  • Reply 3 of 46
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,056member
    zroger73 said:
    I waited long enough for the Amazon Prime Video app to become available on my three Apple TV devices.

Last week, I sinned against Apple and bought a couple of Amazon Fire TV sticks for $25 each. I was so impressed that I've started listening to my music and watching Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon on the Fire TV sticks instead of the Apple TV.
    There may be a no better example of the principle that tech choices are very personal choices based on an individual's needs then these a/v devices.Many factors are at work here: price of the device, price of the media, the remote's features and function, number of users, type of room(s) and more. All involve a balance of value to the consumer, and thus YMMV.

I bought an ATV4 when they launched. I like it. But my TV and audio needs are simple. I am lucky in that I have access to all i need or want is generally available OTA or via inexpensive streaming services. I dislike the Siri remote, but it worked, so I'm OK with it.

Then an odd thing happened: I needed to replace a failing HTDV, and I got a great deal on a 4k TCL "smart" unit with HDR. It came with a Roku system and remote built in. I discovered I like the UI and remote, and switching over to the ATV4 wasn't needed...for my needs. I haven't turned my ATV4 on in months. There's nothing wrong with it - it is just that I don't need  it anymore. 

I have a Roku stick that was a freebie promo. I had it on the old TV, but I don't need it on the new one. I didn't use it on the old one because it required switching around, another remote etc. Roku's system has an Amazon app that work pretty well. Oddly, I felt the stick crashed much more. The TCL unit has never done so. So far. And its remote feels much nicer in my hand.

I do understand the security in the Roku devices is not perfect. Maybe it will get bricked. I'll deal with that if when it happens. The prior HDTV lasted about 3 years. I think that's not great, but not completely outrageous. Again, all about personal value. Simple and inexpensive are at the top of my list.
    d_2sunwukong
  • Reply 4 of 46
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member
    When I picked up my Sony Smart TV, I too wound up using my ATV3 much less frequently. Not the best UI in the world, bit it is easier and it has Prime built-in. No looking for another remote or worrying about which device needs to be used to watch which service..
    sunwukong
  • Reply 5 of 46
    zroger73 said:
    Last week, I sinned against Apple and bought a couple of Amazon Fire TV sticks for $25 each.
    I also sinned and bought an Amazon Fire TV stick - on a Black Friday deal it was down from £39.99 to £24.99
    zroger73sunwukong
  • Reply 6 of 46
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,336member
    zroger73 said:

Why?  I do all of those same things with my ATV's daily. I have had Prime for years and barely ever use the video piece. Maybe once there is an app I will use it more and see what it really offers. Having to rely on airplay really turned me off to using Amazon's service in the past. Especially once the newer gen ATV's with TV OS were released. I have all my video needs met in one place..

igorskyspinnyd
  • Reply 7 of 46
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    zroger73 said:

Well I have a Fire Stick that I bought last year for that same $25 so I could use the Amazon app on it. All I can say is that it works okay. I am not in the least bit impressed by it. It’s slow, painfully slow. The remote double taps regularly and I have to go back to get where I wanted to be. If you are impressed then you must be easy to please.
    igorsky
  • Reply 8 of 46
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    The Amazon app is vaporware as far as I’m concerned. I’ll believe it when I see it, rumors be damned. And if it does appear I’m leery that it will be crippled in some way so that the ATV experience will be substandard to the Fire product line.
    edited November 2017 igorskysunwukong
  • Reply 9 of 46
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    mac_128 said:
    im betting the app is dependant on the 11.2 update, which would explain why it's surfaced for beta testing only now.
    I'm curious what would be added to tvOS 11.2 that Amazon needs for streaming video that it can't do in 11.0.
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 10 of 46
    lkrupp said:
    The Amazon app is vaporware as far as I’m concerned. I’ll believe it when I see it, rumors be damned. And if it does appear I’m leery that it will be crippled in some way so that the ATV experience will be substandard to the Fire product line.
    I understand where you're coming from, but from a business standpoint it doesn't make sense for Amazon to promise that it's coming and then not deliver over simply not making a statement at all. I know plenty of people that have bought a new Apple TV over other devices simply because of this promise during the iPhone X event in September.
  • Reply 11 of 46
    lkrupp said:
    That's one thing I'm worried about. It would kind of suck if we get a crippled app and it doesn't have 4K streaming for example. 
  • Reply 12 of 46
    I splashed out on a Roku over the holidays that was on sale. Programming for TVOS is really pretty solid compared to (for example) the native SDK on Roku or even Android. There are presumably other business-related reasons for the delayed release of an Amazon video app for Apple TV.
  • Reply 13 of 46
    lkrupp said:
    That's one thing I'm worried about. It would kind of suck if we get a crippled app and it doesn't have 4K streaming for example. 
    I think that would just make Amazon look bad since users know the Apple TV 4K can handle 4K, and there are plenty of other streaming options that would offer a much better picture.
  • Reply 14 of 46
    zroger73 said:

I bought a Fire Stick to use as my Kodi player, with a bonus of being able to view Prime Video. But once the ATV app arrives I suspect the Fire Stick will be used only for Kodi. There is literally nothing about the Fire TV experience that's in any way an improvement over ATV.
    spliff monkeyStrangeDays
  • Reply 15 of 46
    lkrupp said:
    zroger73 said:

Well I have a Fire Stick that I bought last year for that same $25 so I could use the Amazon app on it. All I can say is that it works okay. I am not in the least bit impressed by it. It’s slow, painfully slow. The remote double taps regularly and I have to go back to get where I wanted to be. If you are impressed then you must be easy to please.
    Also their homescreen is friggin' mess.
    spliff monkey
  • Reply 16 of 46
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,520member
    igorsky said:
    lkrupp said:
    zroger73 said:

The UI is not as pretty, but at around a fifth of the cost I have found out that I can live with the device.

I jumped on the Apple TV 4 on the day of release and have found that many of the apps that are out on the Amazon/Roku/Everything else just haven't come to the Apple TV here in the UK and so I finally bought an Amazon Fire TV Stick on the Black Friday sale.

I know that Apple cannot force people to make apps for their hardware, but it is also largely Apples fault for being so incredibly and stupidly late to the game on this one. They could have chucked a simple app store for video services onto the Apple TV 2/3 (which lets face it, this is what most people want from a TV streaming box!) years before they came out with the newer generation. There was no excuse for missing the boat and devices from companies like Rokku and Amazon were out with app stores years before Apple, they fucked up plain and simple on this one.

d_2
  • Reply 17 of 46
    chase the carrot
  • Reply 18 of 46
    It's Amazon. They haven't updated their Kindle app for the X either.
  • Reply 19 of 46
    saarek said:
    igorsky said:
    lkrupp said:
    zroger73 said:

The UI is not as pretty, but at around a fifth of the cost I have found out that I can live with the device.

I jumped on the Apple TV 4 on the day of release and have found that many of the apps that are out on the Amazon/Roku/Everything else just haven't come to the Apple TV here in the UK and so I finally bought an Amazon Fire TV Stick on the Black Friday sale.

I know that Apple cannot force people to make apps for their hardware, but it is also largely Apples fault for being so incredibly and stupidly late to the game on this one. They could have chucked a simple app store for video services onto the Apple TV 2/3 (which lets face it, this is what most people want from a TV streaming box!) years before they came out with the newer generation. There was no excuse for missing the boat and devices from companies like Rokku and Amazon were out with app stores years before Apple, they fucked up plain and simple on this one.
    Therein may lay the rub — what your prime use case is: cheap, or good. myself i prefer good even if it costs more. 

As for declaring the ATV an abject failure, this is entirely dependent on your POV. Apple isn’t a streamer box company like Roku is or a heavy-services company like Amazon is -- this isn’t their main business or primary interest. A hobby for many years as they said. Considering they were focusing on other growth and were met with insane success, I don’t blame them. Even still, their services revenue is growing so I doubt they’re as pissed off as you are. 
  • Reply 20 of 46
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,056member
    At the risk of repeating myself, I would instantly buy an ATV that contained an OTA tuner (or 2 or 3) and a coax jack for an antenna. This is possible with a HDHomeRun device, but these come at a cost that is still beyond my interest. Apple is very unlikely to do this because there really is no business case for it. Other than the basic hardware, they can't monetize it in any way. 

And now that I think about it, this still doesn't get me past the convenience I now find with the TCL 4k smart roku set I have now. What that device needs is an in channel guide for OTA like the "channels" app you can run with the silicon dust HDHomeRun device. But it get me closer to being interested in ATV again.

If ATV could then put its OTA signal out on the LAN like HDHomeRun, so users could stream to their laptops, phones, and iPads...maybe we're on to something. But that is now available on the Mohu Airwave. For $150. And nothing else.

Or maybe Apple can update the Airports to handle some of this?

Choices are good. Apple is rather behind on this.

libertyforall