Microsoft releases Edge browser for iPhone with roaming password, dark theme additions

Posted:
in iPhone edited March 2018
Microsoft released its Edge mobile web browser for iOS on Thursday following a brief preview period, with the new browser aiming to provide Windows 10 users a 'continuous browsing experience' between their desktop and their iPhone.

Bearing the name of its Windows 10-based counterpart, the Edge browser for iOS is intended to make it as easy as possible to move from browsing on their mobile devices to a PC or vice versa. Similar to aspects of Apple's Continuity feature, the browser allows users to "continue on PC," synchronizing content viewed in the mobile browser with the PC.

Microsoft advises that the seamless content synchronization of "Continue on PC" requires the Windows 10 Fall Creator's Update in order to function.

The synchronization also includes other types of data that could be useful to users, including favorite links, and their reading list, keeping the data the same across multiple devices. A central Hub View collects these as well as the user's history and books in one place, theoretically making it easier for users to find and manage content.

The browser also includes a QR code reader, voice search, and a private browsing mode called "InPrivate," which does not retain items like the history, temporary Internet files, and cookies of a browsing session.

Two other additions have been made to Edge since it became available as part of a limited preview in October, with Microsoft enabling passwords to be shared between devices as part of its data synchronization function. Lastly, a dark theme has been added, giving an alternative appearance to the browser's user interface.

Microsoft Edge for iOS is available as a free download from the App Store in the United States and the United Kingdom, with versions for China and France including support for Simplified Chinese and French respectively. Weighing in at 121 megabytes, the app requires iOS 9.0 or later, and is compatible with all iPhones, iPads, and the iPod touch.

A version of the app is also available for Android, with a similar feature set.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 29
    Now Apple just needs to implement a way to change the default browser from Safari... It's annoying that in 2017, there's no way to change the default apps in iOS... especially when Android has more-less always had this feature... Apps can have their own protocol to launch them, but there isn't really a way to override the default http, https, and mailto handlers...
    Soli
  • Reply 2 of 29
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    I surely hope its better than POS Edge browser that's included with Windows 10. I don't know why anyone would want to use such an abomination of a browser. I honestly think Safari is better than most browsers out there for iOS. Apple puts a lot of work into their browser. 
    crimguy
  • Reply 3 of 29
    Microsoft released its Edge mobile web browser for iOS on Thursday...
    Why? I run Windows 10 in a virtual machine on my Mac (for work) and disabled Edge because it's awful. It still occasionally launches and I'm reminded at how stripped down it is.

I get why people use Chrome or Opera on iOS, but why would anyone choose to run Edge? I see no advantage...
  • Reply 4 of 29

Now Apple just needs to implement a way to change the default browser from Safari... It's annoying that in 2017, there's no way to change the default apps in iOS... especially when Android has more-less always had this feature... Apps can have their own protocol to launch them, but there isn't really a way to override the default http, https, and mailto handlers...

My work phone is Android and, while I generally don't like much about the platform, this is one of those features fandroids always throw in our faces: "How can you use a platform where you can't change the default apps?" I'm personally fine with Safari as my browser, but I really wish I could redirect all mapping to either Google Maps or Waze.
  • Reply 5 of 29
    Edge has a horrible database based bookmarks engine that makes them impossible to manage. 
    Links based one, like in IE11 and other browsers is so much better. 
    Edge just feels unfinished. 
  • Reply 6 of 29
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    Anyone will use it on iOS devices?
  • Reply 7 of 29
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Unless things have changed I thought Apple insists that any third party browser MUST use WebKit as its engine.
  • Reply 8 of 29
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member

My work phone is Android and, while I generally don't like much about the platform, this is one of those features fandroids always throw in our faces: "How can you use a platform where you can't change the default apps?" I'm personally fine with Safari as my browser, but I really wish I could redirect all mapping to either Google Maps or Waze.
    Did Amazon Fire Tablets let you default anything to Google services or Play Store unless you root them? They use android too. It’s about marketing and profits that one platform just wants to keep it within itself.
  • Reply 9 of 29
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    If it’s so annoying then switch to Android and be happy and not annoyed anymore. If my Ford F-150 turned out to be a POS and the dealer a dirtbag, and Ford didn’t care about my wants and needs, well then I certainly would not buy another Ford truck. Would you?
  • Reply 10 of 29
    fallenjt said:

Did Amazon Fire Tablets let you default anything to Google services or Play Store unless you root them? They use android too. It’s about marketing and profits that one platform just wants to keep it within itself.
    I don't believe this is a fair comparison. I doubt most Fire users are even aware their device runs Android. They just want a device they can read on and play Candy Crush.
  • Reply 11 of 29
    Apple would never do that or should I say alow. Its all about the experience. Apple can't be responsible for Googles or Microsoft browsers. Use it at your own risk.

edited November 2017
  • Reply 12 of 29
    Did somebody ask for this?
  • Reply 13 of 29
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    My Christmas wishes have been answered!!!!  /s

This has to be more of a branding / marketing move than anything. I guess I can see some of the few corporations that still require IE or Edge for intranet tools to need this... I guess?? Maybe?
    mwhitedjames4242
  • Reply 14 of 29
    Did somebody ask for this?
    Yes.  Microsoft Employees.

Now that they’re no longer forced to use MS Phone...

I’m sure Safari and Chrome are banned on their work machines, and they needed a way to get to the bookmarks.
    almondrocaroundaboutnow
  • Reply 15 of 29
    Microsoft released its Edge mobile web browser for iOS on Thursday...
    Why? I run Windows 10 in a virtual machine on my Mac (for work) and disabled Edge because it's awful. It still occasionally launches and I'm reminded at how stripped down it is.

I get why people use Chrome or Opera on iOS, but why would anyone choose to run Edge? I see no advantage...
    Maybe, just maybe, Edge on iOS is different than on Windows? At the very least you'll need to tap the app in order for it to launch...
  • Reply 16 of 29
    Like a fair few AI readers, I have an Apple ecosystem at home but then at work the company laptop runs MS W10.  I agree with other posts on this thread that the Edge browser is half-baked (not as though it was released yesterday) so have no motivation to slap Edge on IOS.  I also agree with other comments wrt Microsoft's proclivity for $#@%^ proprietary databases.
  • Reply 17 of 29
    Not switching from Chrome on my iPhone 8 Plus any time soon!
  • Reply 18 of 29
    seanjseanj Posts: 318member
    This announcement isn't a surprise, Microsoft has past form of using dominance in one market to leveridge their position in another. The addition of an Edge browser will be to offer a 'superior experience' for users of Office365 which a lot of corporates are migrating to. As iOS is the premier mobile platform it makes sense for Microsoft to have both Office apps for iOS and a browser. Office is still Microsoft's biggest money earner so protecting its dominance in the enterprise is their top priority.
    Of course Microsoft won't mind if by giving the best Office365 experience via Edge, rather than other browsers, lazy users start to use Edge for all their browsing needs and not just for Office...
    almondroca
  • Reply 19 of 29
    I just tried it out for the heck of it. It was instantly deleted. Pretty silly to release a new app that doesn't support the iPhone X display. 
    almondroca
  • Reply 20 of 29
    seanj said:
    This announcement isn't a surprise, Microsoft has past form of using dominance in one market to leveridge their position in another. The addition of an Edge browser will be to offer a 'superior experience' for users of Office365 which a lot of corporates are migrating to. As iOS is the premier mobile platform it makes sense for Microsoft to have both Office apps for iOS and a browser. Office is still Microsoft's biggest money earner so protecting its dominance in the enterprise is their top priority.
    Of course Microsoft won't mind if by giving the best Office365 experience via Edge, rather than other browsers, lazy users start to use Edge for all their browsing needs and not just for Office...

This makes a certain amount of sense, however I believe all of the Office365 apps are available natively on iOS and anyone would be foolish to use the web versions on a mobile device. But you're right - Microsoft has definitely done this in the past, creating the whole ActiveX control crap that only worked on IE (thankfully their refusal to honor web standards for years ended up backfiring on them finally). And there's that whole licensing Java and then creating Windows-specific APIs to try and remove platform independency. Thankfully Sun prevailed on that one...